Snap on VS Mac - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Snap on VS Mac

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Snap on VS Mac

So Latly i have been looking into buying a new tool box. Well i have come to the conclusion Matco is out of the question, Dident like there boxes. Well im set on snap on now but now we got a new Mac dealer and i dono yet about there boxes what do you guys think. I think i should stick with snap on, but not 100% sure. I like snap on becuase he has been around since i started working there and the mac dealer just got there last week. i need your opinion im not buying right yet but soon.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Trust Me

Re: Snap on VS Mac

I don't like Snap On because their prices are ****ing rediculous. Of the two i would choose the MAC box.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
where's my chippy?

i would say snap-on, then again all of my tools are snap-on
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Works too much.

Snap On for toolboxes, hand tools, electrical tools.
Mac for air tools.

Save the money you'd be wasting in vain on a million dollar toolbox for something useful, like tools.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #5

iv got lots of tools now got all the neccesaties for my job bassicly snaap on sockets,ratchets,extentions,prybars,hamers etc bassiclyy all snpa on. one thing the mac dealer told me today though was that in the apprentiship program mac gives you a one time buy 50% off everytting but its got to be cash so a $10000 box would be $5000 but im still not sure im still buying away at tools i got a decent napa box its just starting to get to small im looking used around to.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Sneaky White Person

I have never seen a thread like this before
Old 10-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
where's my chippy?

Quote: Originally Posted by scott9001
iv got lots of tools now got all the neccesaties for my job bassicly snaap on sockets,ratchets,extentions,prybars,hamers etc bassiclyy all snpa on. one thing the mac dealer told me today though was that in the apprentiship program mac gives you a one time buy 50% off everytting but its got to be cash so a $10000 box would be $5000 but im still not sure im still buying away at tools i got a decent napa box its just starting to get to small im looking used around to.
check into snap on for that, when i was going for auto mechanics at my old college we got 50%off snap-on, and 45%off matco
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
405AWDHP

Just a little FYI, Matco makes Macs boxes. And on another note, your box will never be big enough! My next step is a triple bay two lockers. I out grew my double bay with two lockers and service cart.

Your best bet would to be look for used boxes as starters, never buy new off the bat untill you really need that land yacht.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Founding member of DA

i love my box also have a cart same color
its a little big now for y current job but i bought it when i was at an auto repair shop and figured i'd fill it eventually, its amazing how few tools you need to fix buses i have a bunch of stuff in my cart and hardly ever need to go to my box for stuff

Last edited by pack of q tips; 10-16-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Founding member of DA

delete this
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
is a fungineer

I was going to suggest used as well, lots of stuff in the classifieds around here.

Craftsman boxes are made by Waterloo, the big ones with ballbearing drawer slides are pretty nice and a lot cheaper.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
under construction

Quote: Originally Posted by BlownDime
Snap On for toolboxes, hand tools, electrical tools.
Mac for air tools.

Save the money you'd be wasting in vain on a million dollar toolbox for something useful, like tools.

tool boxes are just that...toolboxes...if it says snap on, its sayin steal me...I always buy elcheapo tool boxes, but open them up, and youll be pleasently surprised

as for work, i use a kennedy, but thats for work...

the money saved on toolboxes can be used to fill them up
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
405AWDHP

A good place to look for deals is ebay. No reason to spend 10k when you can spend 4k.

I buy a lot of used tools of of ebay, even broken shit, long as it has one of the big 3 names on it.

Here ya go! $2100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap-...motiveQ5fTools

Last edited by Draggin88; 10-16-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Founding member of DA

i would love to see someone try to steal my toolbox
its gotta weigh over 1000 lbs and barely fits onto a liftgate of a full size box truck
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
where's my chippy?

Quote: Originally Posted by Draggin88
A good place to look for deals is ebay. No reason to spend 10k when you can spend 4k.

I buy a lot of used tools of of ebay, even broken shit, long as it has one of the big 3 names on it.
thats a good idea. my pops went to a self storage auction and someguy had a small unit full of snap-on tools, too bad my dad tells me this when he got home instead of calling me and bidding on it
Old 10-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #16

Just a little FYI, Matco makes Macs boxes. And on another note, your box will never be big enough! My next step is a triple bay two lockers. I out grew my double bay with two lockers and service cart.

Your best bet would to be look for used boxes as starters, never buy new off the bat untill you really need that land yacht.
Matco does not make MAC boxes, Stanley owns Mac as well as Proto. Mac and Proto boxes are identical (I own both), and made in the same plant, so if you decide you like the Mac boxes, buy a Proto for half the price.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Works too much.

Quote: Originally Posted by pack of q tips
i would love to see someone try to steal my toolbox
its gotta weigh over 1000 lbs and barely fits onto a liftgate of a full size box truck
Of my two, one is gonna be a bitch to steal:

Oh yeah, less than $2000 into both those boxes.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
405AWDHP

Quote: Originally Posted by Avgas
Matco does not make MAC boxes, Stanley owns Mac as well as Proto. Mac and Proto boxes are identical (I own both), and made in the same plant, so if you decide you like the Mac boxes, buy a Proto for half the price.

They used to, guess that's changed.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
Comitted Suicide

buy a snap on and be done with it
Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
whore turned lurker

i prefer to just get a craftsman ball bearing box,you'll save money that be used towards tools
Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #21

I can't see myself spending that much on a box. Maybe I'd think differently if I did it for a living but damn, $10,000 for a steel box? One guy from the shop next to my work has a humongous snap-on box that is quite literally taller than me and wider than a dually. He even has an alarm on it that calls him when it goes off. He says he has about half of what his house is worth inside it. Pretty crazy
Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
Dime Freightlines

Quote: Originally Posted by Avgas
MATCO (Mac Allied Tool COmpany) use to make Mac boxes but that stopped in the mid 80's. There is no relation between the two now though. If I was going to spend big money on a toolbox again it would be between a KRL series Snap-on or a 6S series MATCO.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #23

[quote=BlownDime;6572987]

my box is almost the same other then in the top the top 2 drawers is like 6 little ones and its two big ones on the left side there
Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #24
Layd the **** out

Couldnt agree more.

I have a used triple bay matco box with a locker and love it
Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #25

i have a craftsman and i like my box alot was fairy inexpensive and works fine but i know alot of the boxes at my work are all snap on and there 30 plus year old boxes cant beat that
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #26
**** you

as far as quality goes between the 2.. Snap on makes the better product.. Now im not a snap on whore like some people.. I cannot, and will not ever justify buying new from them. Their prices are out of line.. But They weld joints where others use rivets or fasteners, And lets face it, They are well known to make a box that will literally outlive you.

But to be honest id look for either a cheap used snapon, Or another brand. Snap on dealers will try to pump your head full of shit about how their boxes are absolutely the only way to go.. I was reading on a forum and a guy who happened to be a snap on vendor, Had almost literally a book written on why the OP of the thread should by snap on. talking about the welded joints, How their boxes are engineered not to fall over when overweight (not that ive ever seen one fall unless all the drawers were open lol) and how they are more secure than others.. so your tools wont go missing (as if any motivated theif cant just roll the ****ing thing away)

bottom line is its true to an extent. But the only real reason to get one, is if you are in the business for life, Youve already bought all your tools, And all you have left to buy is the box. Because you will by it, and it will last you forever. But for about 90% of people out there. Any old cheapy will do Until youve bought everything you need. Why buy the box first, Fill it, and realize,, "oh shit, i need a bigger box" now you gotta go all over again and buy a new one.

I bought this one used.. Dont know who makes it. i am lead to believe it was sold at like bj's or costco, or sams club or some shit. But its all stainles steel, 41" wide top and bottom. rolls great, wheels lock, its all roller bearing. And the drawers retract themselves so you dont have too much weight open at once.. it locks up nice and tight And has enough room for all my shit (for now anyway) and the best part, is i paid $500 used for the top and bottom. i didnt have to finance the thing lol. The guy i bought it from was selling it because he just bought an $8,000 matco box. But hes a dude whos been in the business for 15 years, And his old box was falling apart, and he decided it was time for one that would last.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #27
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

My buddy just payed something like $850 for the one that's in that pic above, the black one with the creeper leaning on it. He said the brand name is Homak and it's got ball bearing slides for the drawers and all that jazz. He bought it on sale and it included a free tool car with two ball bearing slide drawers and a flip up compartment. Pretty sweet, not sure on the build of it I haven't seen it in person.

On another note, I payed $450 for my 7 drawer basic Snap-On box. I quickly outgrew it and now I need to save for another one. I have a feeling this will never end
Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #28

at my school we got 51% off, so it was worth it for me to get snap on. i have a 54 inch snap on box..in extreme green
Old 10-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #29
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Oh yeah, Mac doesn't tell you this but when your in the school program, the dealers don't want to sell you anything for half price. Funniest thing is, you are supposed to print off a form from online and fill it all out and give it to your dealer. Unless you have like $6k worth of crap on that piece of paper, he's not gonna give you half price. I like Snap-On better anyways. I don't even think Mac makes a fine toothed ratchet still. But they do make a badass valve core removal tool that looks like a screwdriver. Not the tiny pocket one either it's got a real handle. Those things are like gold around our shop.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #30

Windows > Mac
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #31

thats actually a pretty nice box other then im not tall enough to put my sockets in the top, saying this becuase it doesent have a big drawer for sockets really unless your laying them all down. looks like a bit of a nice shop from the picture. must be nice my work area in the shop is a mess this time of the year becuase im stuck with undercoating, you americans wouldent understand lol. here is a couple pics of mine

And now that i think aobut it the only thing really wrong with the box is that other then the one drawer the drawers are not long enough to hold bigger pry bars, and my torque wrench only fits in the socket drawer etc i jsut made a pry bar holder to hold them on the side i jsut got to find a spot for the weed eater. (lol i got to keep it cleaned up uotside also im the owners son i kinda got to keep things cleaned up still and so on.) but i still got a little bit of room to fill in but ic just started my search early incase any deals come up.

i found a box i like lol but its still to exspencive
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ157141285
Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #32

But i think im off to a good start, i got alot more tools then most 19 year olds around here.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #33
A work of art in progress

Why would you spend that much on a box to hold tools? I'm sure there are tool boxes out there that do the same job that are alot less. To me its like what should i get, a chevy tahoe or a cadillac escalade? A "quality" craftsman or other name brand box vs a snap on. I'm no pro mechanic by any means and probaly don't fully understand but thats my simple way of thinking for saving money on a box.

Last edited by truedetailer; 10-17-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #34
**** you

thats actually a pretty nice box other then im not tall enough to put my sockets in the top, saying this becuase it doesent have a big drawer for sockets really unless your laying them all down. looks like a bit of a nice shop from the picture. must be nice my work area in the shop is a mess this time of the year becuase im stuck with undercoating, you americans wouldent
Eh shops actually a dump lol.. its really small its 1250 sq ft single bay, and the guy who i rent the place out with is a hoarder. hes got enough parts to build like 6 cars. None of which he will ever use. Notice how everything is real close together. I actually have a new place being built at the moment, 2 bays at like 2400 sq ft, with 3 phase power and the whole 9.. Just waiting on the phone call so i can get out of where im at now lol As far as the box tho, i'm 5'5" so im pretty short. I just keep the sockets in the bottom 2 drawers of the top box. and the top drawers are where i keep consumables and what not. I'm a fabricator, so i dont have a very extensive set of mechanics tools. But if you used decent socket organizers, you could easily fit all your sockets in there. I keep mine separated, metric in one drawer, standard in the other, i do the same with wrenches too. i find it keeps everything neater and easier to find. But again, im not a mechanic, so i dont need crazy socket sets. I make due with what i have.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #35
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

I love my Cornwell box. But I guess to each their own, they all hold tools, they all lock.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #36
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

thats actually a pretty nice box other then im not tall enough to put my sockets in the top, saying this becuase it doesent have a big drawer for sockets really unless your laying them all down. looks like a bit of a nice shop from the picture. must be nice my work area in the shop is a mess this time of the year becuase im stuck with undercoating, you americans wouldent understand lol. here is a couple pics of mine

And now that i think aobut it the only thing really wrong with the box is that other then the one drawer the drawers are not long enough to hold bigger pry bars, and my torque wrench only fits in the socket drawer etc i jsut made a pry bar holder to hold them on the side i jsut got to find a spot for the weed eater. (lol i got to keep it cleaned up uotside also im the owners son i kinda got to keep things cleaned up still and so on.) but i still got a little bit of room to fill in but ic just started my search early incase any deals come up.

i found a box i like lol but its still to exspencive
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ157141285
I have the same deep metric impacts from Snap-On, one of the best things I ever bought! I noticed the ecotec filter cap socket, do you do undercoating at a dealer?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #37

Quote: Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
I have the same deep metric impacts from Snap-On, one of the best things I ever bought! I noticed the ecotec filter cap socket, do you do undercoating at a dealer?
its not a dealer ship its a napa autopro. and yea they have the best sockets and yea the good old 2.2 ecotec nice and easy one. i will probably end up buying a snap on box just not new. and to the guy that said i should look into the aprentiship program with snap on that mac has im oging to ask him on thursday thast when he is in. btw cherryreds10 i cant wait till undercoating is over.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #38

Quote: Originally Posted by truedetailer
Why would you spend that much on a box to hold tools? I'm sure there are tool boxes out there that do the same job that are alot less. To me its like what should i get, a chevy tahoe or a cadillac escalade? A "quality" craftsman or other name brand box vs a snap on. I'm no pro mechanic by any means and probaly don't fully understand but thats my simple way of thinking for saving money on a box.

Btw id buy the cadillac i already got a 97 deville lol. well wait id buy the cadillac if the money was not a question. There is a differenece in a good snap on, matco, box compared to a crafsman box. differences could be such as the drawer opens fully, and there is not a few inches at the back still in the tool box. another is when your drawer is full of sockets the drawer is no harder to open becuase of being full. you have your socket drawer, wrench drawer, and your hammer drawer open and you dont even think of the box falling over, they do my dad had a cheap one b4 that come from napa it was a stainless one like the one posted in here other then it was jsut a bottom other then it was long and it tipped over, wasent a nice sound when it happend and all the drawers were closed and no one was even aorund it.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #39
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Undercoating is such a god damn mess. Just being underneath a vehicle with the shit on there it's just nasty and annoying I hate how it doesn't ever harden.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #40

the new stuff we jsut got into is apparentlyt suposto dry and i seen one a week later and it was pretty good tacky so you know, good time to get severly dirty
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #41

ive never really been a huge mac fan except for specialty tools i think they are overpriced really but customer service has a lot to do with it too.. my matco and mac guys do not compare to the snap on guy as far as throwing in free shit and always havin what you need but any way i have a snapon classic 96 and love it.. its cheap and you can always add on to it if you need
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #42

I say MAC because it has the deep ass top drawer if you get the double or triple bank with stainless top.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #43
Black SS

Whats the problem with Matco boxes, in your opinion ? I have two of them. Of those two choices I would buy a Snap-On box without a doubt. I would never buy Mac anything, my .02
Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #44
Yes, those are my feet

Quote: Originally Posted by AssDragginSdime
But to be honest id look for either a cheap used snapon, Or another brand.

Bottom line is its true to an extent. But the only real reason to get one, is if you are in the business for life, Youve already bought all your tools, And all you have left to buy is the box. Because you will by it, and it will last you forever. But for about 90% of people out there. Any old cheapy will do Until youve bought everything you need. Why buy the box first, Fill it, and realize,, "oh shit, i need a bigger box" now you gotta go all over again and buy a new one.
I agree here. I've been turning wrenches for 7 years now. Right now I have one of those little boxes from Wal Mart and a used Matco 2 drawer cart. I'm up grading soon, and Harbor Freight has a nice box for $500 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98084. A company called Atwoods has one that is top and bottom for about $700... I will go this way and save myself a monster tool payment
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #45

well i dont like the matco boxes becuase there all to high for me to use as a work bench. and personaly the dealer is a bit of a ingnent prick. i dono what im going to do il probably end up buying anothe box the same as i have and putthing them side by side maybe and personaly i shoudlent fill that. but a side cabinet for now.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #46

Harbor Freight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #47
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Quote:
bottom line is its true to an extent. But the only real reason to get one, is if you are in the business for life, Youve already bought all your tools, And all you have left to buy is the box. Because you will by it, and it will last you forever. But for about 90% of people out there. Any old cheapy will do Until youve bought everything you need. Why buy the box first, Fill it, and realize,, "oh shit, i need a bigger box" now you gotta go all over again and buy a new one.
I also agree to this. I've been working at the dealer for less than a year as an apprentice and I'm already running out of room in my box. I have two full sets of wrenches, Craftsman and Craftsman pro, and I have to put the regular ones in the "crap" drawer on the bottom because they don't fit up top. Ugh, one more semester of school to go until I'm full time for good. Wait, is that even going to be a good thing?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #48
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by drpd85blzr
Harbor Freight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of the devil, they have 3/8 swivel impact sockets for $25. And I've used them on the baddest 3/8 gun Snap-on sells taking a trans out and they don't shatter (yet).
Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #49

Quote: Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
Speaking of the devil, they have 3/8 swivel impact sockets for $25. And I've used them on the baddest 3/8 gun Snap-on sells taking a trans out and they don't shatter (yet).
realy??? ive had like 5 of there impact sockets crack on me... guess its my luck. although i have been using a welding helmet (everyday) i bought there back in august and its has worked great with the exception of having to change out the lense on it every couple of weeks. and i got the 2 year extended warrenty (i happened to score a deal on it where i got it for free) so if something does happen, i can just warrenty it and get one replaced for free!! WOOHOO!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #50
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Some things are hit and miss. I picked up a digital caliper for only $10. It measures to the nearest .01 and that's plenty considering the work I am doing. Every tool has it's place and HF is no exception to that rule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.