sileo in pacis carus amicus - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

sileo in pacis carus amicus

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2003, 01:31 AM   #1
Too damn old for this sh*

User is: OffLine
sileo in pacis carus amicus

As I sit here trying to study for a test tomorrow, I find that I cannot concentrate. My mind keeps wondering, I'm saddend. Today I lost my best friend. My dog Shotgun died today from an enlarged heart and fluid on his lungs. He was thirteen years old.

I remember going to get him and then bringing him home after a little leauge game. We sat around the table and tossed around names, eventually naming him after my little league teams name "Shotgun Ranch" (No not after the rifle)

I remember after I got my license, the first thing I did was get "gunny" and go for a ride in my bug, his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind in typical dog fashion.

I remember him playing with a tipped over beer bottle at my 21st birthday party and licking up spilled Bacardi Silver like it was water.

I remember him coming upstaris everynight for the past two or three weeks and whining at my bedside until I lifted him up and placed him on the bed with me. I remember hearing him struggle to breathe. The last few days he was unable to sleep because when he would lay down, he couldn't breathe.

It may be silly, but I can't help but feel a real loss. This little brown dog has been my friend for thirteen years. I came home from work today and for the first time and I did not hear the jingle of the tags on his collar. He did not greet me at the door as he did everyday with his tail wagging and an odd half bark, half groan that seemd more like an attempt at actual speech. I didn't reach in the cabinet and give him a milkbone, I didn't scratch his chest and he didn't thump his hind leg like thumper in Bambi.

They took him yesterday to see if anything could be done. The vet prescribed stronger medication but little could be done. My parents struggled with the decision to take him to the vet and have him put to sleep. Fortunatley, they didn't have to make that choice.

My mom was really upset, and for one of the only times in my life, my father was visibly upset. I find it odd and a bit ironic that the loss of a pet can have such an impact on a person. I mean, get real, it's only a dog right? Therein lies the irony. He wasn't just a dog. he was a friend, he was family. In a world where you find few true friends, a pet is unconditionally loving and loyal. This afternoon I dug a grave and we buried him in his blanket under an old oak tree in the back yard.

If you find this to be ridiculous, and /or silly, simply click the back button. If you feel empathy, thanks. I suppose I just needed to vent.

Phar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 01:40 AM   #2

Dude i know exactly how you feel. i am so sorry and i know how it is to lose a pet. You dont know how much they really mean to you and how big a part of the family it is until the pet is gone.

Im truely sorry

R.I.P
Shotgun
Old 03-05-2003, 03:32 AM   #3

13 years is a long time. At least you have some good memories of him. Sorry for the loss.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Pwnz.

Sorry to hear that phar, I know how tough losing a pet is. I have 2 dogs and I don't know what I'd do if I lost either of them. At least he isn't in any more pain.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:25 AM   #5
R.I.P.

Im sorry for your loss man. I know how it feels. I had mine for 8 years before he died.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
little pink pink

Sorry to hear this!

RIP
SHOTGUN
Old 03-05-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
formally Lownoma

always a sad day when your best dog passes away!...mines only a puppy...but i know where your coming from.....sorry to hear
Old 03-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #8
bitch

sorry to hear that, i went through this a little over a month ago with a dog we had only 4 months. i still miss him because you will never get one that is the same.

BTW, i got a dachshund too that, she is 14 years old now. very smart dogs.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
Still 2 High

R.I.P
Shotgun

Just always remember all the good times you spent with your dog..
Old 03-05-2003, 03:25 PM   #10

mine died a little over 3 months ago, i had her for 6 years. sorry to hear that man
Old 03-05-2003, 11:55 PM   #11
Black SS

Sorry to hear that, keep your head up. RIP
Old 03-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #12

Unhappy

sorry to hear about the loss. i know how you feel, i lost an aunt and a dog on the same day less than a year ago. just remember now that he can always watch over you and protect you. may your mind and your heart never forget the times together, which are the ones that truely matter.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:22 AM   #13
Director O' Forum

Sorry to hear about that. Losing pets sucks. RIP shotgun
Old 03-06-2003, 04:59 PM   #14
AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

i've never even owned a dog and that story makes me sad. so dont think just because its a dog people wont understand. i always thought it'd be cool to have a dog but my parents never allowed it, then i kinda got scared of em after being bit in the face. but my ex-gf just recently got a dog a couple months ago, and he's the coolest. i dont even see her that often anymore but i know that even after only a couple months if i heard something happened to him, i'd definately be sad. so 13 years.... i cant even imagine. theres just somethin about dogs. i guess they dont call em mans best friend for nothin. you'll be allright, just give it time. also, out of curiosity what does "sileo in pacis carus amicus" something allong the lines of "rest in peace my friend"? (i'm just guessing by what it sorta looks like)
Old 03-06-2003, 05:02 PM   #15
Muppet Baby Member

sorry man, been there too. Best of thoughts bro.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #16
Too damn old for this sh*

Thanks for all the support and kind words folks. It's still weird not to hear that jingle when I come through the door.

"sileo in pacis carus amicus" is latin for "Rest in peace dear friend."

It's what I carved into a marker stone that I took from an old chimeny in the field behind our house.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #17

I feel ya man, take his collar and put it around ure rear view mirror. My dad did that with our first dogs collar, we put him to sleep about 8 years ago, and the tags still are around the rear view mirror of his 93 Gmc sonoma. Pets have a special place in everyones hearts, but just like all living things they die. Sorry to hear ure loss man, but u think right now that u dont want another one, but when u get one, ull be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.