Red Angel A/C Sealer - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Red Angel A/C Sealer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Red Angel A/C Sealer

Has anyone used any of the Red Angel A/C system sealer? Did it work? I have a 1998 S10 and the case seal on the compressor is leaking as alot of the factory compressors do. I want to try some of the Red Angel on mine. Please me me know how well it worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Red Angel A/C Sealer

I'm interested too. My system hasn't worked for a few years because it leaks between the dryer and evaporator. Tried leak sealers and new seals with no luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Comitted Suicide

please dont use those, for the sake of professional recoverant machines everywhere
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
4 bangin and love it

dont know much about red angel, but i do know that super seal will seal damn near anything, you just have to chase it with a can of freon so it doesnt seal up the port as well. and it will not affect any recovery machine, unless said machine leaks.

http://idqusa.com/product/325/

friend of mine had a rubber line pop, made about a 3mm hole. he put a tire patch over it, 3 hose clamps, and hit it with a can of super seal. charged it, and it held pressure. not sure if it would contiue to work, cause the compressor was already locked up, but it held pressure none-the-less
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Comitted Suicide

Quote: Originally Posted by squareterror
and it will not affect any recovery machine, unless said machine leaks.
Thats funny, they make A/C sealant detection kits so you can avoid the idiots who use them in their cars and protect your $4,000 machines.

Just an FYI if you use those sealants in your vehicle you WILL damage professional equipment if you decide to have a shop repair your system.

Just have it fixed correctly or don't fix it at all.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
4 bangin and love it

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Comitted Suicide

since you feel like a pissing match....

http://www.airsept.com/Articles/Recy...ports12-03.pdf

Anyone can shit in a box and tell you it's gold....

oh and heres a GM TSB

Why not fix it right?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Ridin' on Twankies

I would never use A/c sealant in any setup.

Best bet is to replace the parts and be done. It will be done right, and last much longer with a correctly done setup.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
We Bend Stainless

Quote: Originally Posted by colbye32
I would never use A/c sealant in any setup.

Best bet is to replace the parts and be done. It will be done right, and last much longer with a correctly done setup.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
4 bangin and love it

^^^i agree, but its not always in the budget, and honestly, i'd rather have Joe Tardass put in a can of stop leak and keep the refrigerant where its at, than have him "fix" his system and release all the refrigerant into the air, and have a service port blow off and hit his poor little Tardass when he's "bleeding the pressure"

in stated tsb, you are dealing with warranty.

if you read up about the super seal, it is activated by moisture, which is an enemy in an a/c system. a/c systems, recovery machines especially, should have no moisture in them, since they are sealed, under vaccum, which "boils" the moisture out. super seal only hardens in the presence of moisture.

combined with the fact that ID Quest has been in the commercial a/c industry for 40 years, i'm a little more likely to believe them than a dealer tsb citing warranty nullification.

i'm assuming you havent read anything about it from the link i posted, so i'll make it easy, and let everyone form thier own opinions(every one has em!)

Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Comitted Suicide

Again, I could shit in a can and tell you that its gonna seal your A/C system. There is a fool born every minute.

And since when is a 1994 - 2003 GM Passenger Car AND Truck, still under warranty?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
4 bangin and love it

3rd line down.

and moreover, why would GM indorse their use? if people can fix a problem themselves for $20, that takes away the $200 labor plus parts that the deal service departments can be making. GM also recomends not to use anything other than 5w-30 over -16*(give or take, i'm going off memory) yet you can still run 10w30,40 or 20w50 if you so choose. been running 20w50 in my trucks for a long while, and have never had the first issue.

again, everyone has thier own opinions, and no one is going to convince the other that they are right.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Comitted Suicide

I think you are missing the point, using that can WOULD NOT fix the problem, only prolong use till the PROPER repair is made. You are using band-aids for something that needs stitches.

Also please explain why you use 20w50 in your truck? What benifits does it offer over 5w30? Why not run 20w50 in a Honda? The higher numbers must mean its better right? I'd love to hear your theories.

And if we really believed in "thick" and "film strength", we'll coat our engines with grease and be done with it.

Have you even stepped foot in an professional automotive shop or are you just going off what your grandpa told you?

I pretty much expected this from someone from Kentucky.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Comitted Suicide

3rd line down also states that IF the vehicle was under warranty if found to be using said product you would have voided, please see the release date of 2003.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Ridin' on Twankies

yellowdime = winning.

And squareterror - that super seal is bullshit, i dont care how good you claim it works etc. its just like yellowdime said, putting bandaids on a system isnt going to hold up worth a damn.

I know better. I just spent a good bit of money fixing my ac system i tried rigging up with some sort of ac sealant.It lasted a month before it started leaking again.

Now with a new compressor, lines, drier, and orfice tube, and flushed the condensor and accumulator,i have a 1 year warranty on everything, and i know its going to work well over 1 year with no problems what so ever.

I understand fixing the system correctly is not in everyones budget, but fixing it the wrong way so it will work half ass for a few months is just wasting money that you could put towards new parts and do it right the first time.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
4 bangin and love it

i hadnt thought about thicker oil making more horsepower. might have to go do a few dyno pulls in the honda now that you made me think about that.

i run 20w-50 because it is exactly what it is designed to be. it's a heavier viscosity. every 4.3 i have had has had bearing noise in the bottom end runnign 5w-30 or even 10w-30. switched up to 20w-50, no more bearing noise, and no ill effects. ran 20w-50 in my 94 for roughly 75000 miles, and after i swapped the motor, found that 5 of the 6 rods had roughly .010 play(it did still knock, just not as bad as on 5w-30. and no, it wasnt because of me, it knocked when i got it)

i may not be a race engine builder, and i may not have a degree in engineering, but i am smart enough to know that if 49000 people say it works, and 1000 say it doesnt, its probably due to misuse, mis-information, or stubborn headedness of those 1000 people.

and to address colbye, if $20 will make or break you being able to fix a problem, you probably have bigger problems than a/c not working. but saying its a half ass fix is like saying that you cant plug or patch a tire. its the exact same concept. it may not be the same quality as a new tire, but for the $10 it costs for plugs, would you plug your tire, or go drop $200 on a new tire?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #17
Fashion Bug !!!

Quote: Originally Posted by squareterror
i hadnt thought about thicker oil making more horsepower. might have to go do a few dyno pulls in the honda now that you made me think about that.

i run 20w-50 because it is exactly what it is designed to be. it's a heavier viscosity. every 4.3 i have had has had bearing noise in the bottom end runnign 5w-30 or even 10w-30. switched up to 20w-50, no more bearing noise, and no ill effects. ran 20w-50 in my 94 for roughly 75000 miles, and after i swapped the motor, found that 5 of the 6 rods had roughly .010 play(it did still knock, just not as bad as on 5w-30. and no, it wasnt because of me, it knocked when i got it)

i may not be a race engine builder, and i may not have a degree in engineering, but i am smart enough to know that if 49000 people say it works, and 1000 say it doesnt, its probably due to misuse, mis-information, or stubborn headedness of those 1000 people.

and to address colbye, if $20 will make or break you being able to fix a problem, you probably have bigger problems than a/c not working. but saying its a half ass fix is like saying that you cant plug or patch a tire. its the exact same concept. it may not be the same quality as a new tire, but for the $10 it costs for plugs, would you plug your tire, or go drop $200 on a new tire?
Is that bearing noise like a rattling sound? Also, what type of 20w-50 are you using regular or synthetic?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #18
4 bangin and love it

not really sure i'd call it a rattle. its kinda somewhere between a tick, and an hard "thunking" knock. but hasn't hardly done it since i switched to 20w-50, and its conventional. only time i run syn is a brand new motor, after 5K miles.

i wont switch to syn after ~50,000

^and that IS mostly from the old school mentality, where you couldnt just switch up when you felt like it. they say you can now, but it still sketches me out. i found out a previous owner of my honda was runnin syn, and the guy i got it from and myself both have been using conv, and you can push the #1 piston down ~1/16 after the piston is movin down the bore
Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #19

running higher weight oil is just like the ac sealant. putting a band aid on it
Old 05-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #20
4 bangin and love it

my band aid got me another 75,000, and i wouldnt hesitate to still run that motor if i needed it. its sittin on a stand right now, as a stand by, just incase. still had enough ass to take a civic or 2, and could do some nasty 11's on the 'vettes i had on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.