question for the law buffs and anyone else - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

question for the law buffs and anyone else

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
question for the law buffs and anyone else

so about a year and a half ago now, i started a "company" with a "friend". we used to skate board all the time and we figured it would be a good idea to film and sell movies, make shirts, boards, everything else.. anyway, because he is (as i now know) a dead beat piece o'shit, he didnt own a camera so i spent $400 of my own cash into one so we could get going with what we wanted.. a few months passed, i went back to school, met a girl, and eventually started skating less. because i wasnt with that group of guys in the company we made all the time, i allowed them to borrow my camera under the conditions that if it got broke, it needed to be replaced by whomever broke it (thank god that never happened) and that whenever i needed or wanted it i needed to get it that day. a few more months went on, and i stopped skating all together but still had a hand in the company but slowly, the kid started making decisions without talking about it, spending company money without warning... generally being a douche and keeping me out of the loop. the whole time that went down, he also had my camera.

well that girl i met, now my wife, asked if i could get the camera back from this guy to take some pictures and videos..etc. so i called the guy and he said he didnt know who had it.. so i told him to find it, and i would call him back.. 8,000 phone calls later and a week of trying to track my property down, i find out he is lying about where it is so i drive to his house with my brother in law, and end up spending all night listening to bullshit and more bullshit untill i finally got my camera back. out of spite and anger towards that entire situation, i deleted all of the footage that was filmed by him and other people. when i told him all of the footage was gone, he killed all communication with me, removed from all of the admin access i had for company stuff, and did not remove anything i had contributed as far as film, pictures, art work, etc.

so my question is, is there anything legal i can do? I was one of the founders of a company and i contributed a MASS amount of time a good bit of money and a lot of other peoples time into it. and now, although the company is worth maybe $500, i have nothing to do with it.. I am not so much worried about making any money off of it as much as removing everything online that i created, and having him change the name that i came up with. is there anything i can do? or did i just get f##ked over? can i do anything to find besides kick him in the mouth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
I Don't Fear DEATH

Re: question for the law buffs and anyone else

pretty much unless you have any receipts or drawn up documents over the logo, your screwed.

Just keep the camera and let him get his own camera
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 AM   #3

**** the site up
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by badmofo529
**** the site up
wish i could... but its a facebook page and he changed the passwords and removed me from the admin... i guess ill just hit with ma truck instead
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Which seat can I take?

Report the page as spam.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #6

report the page as your own intellectual property
Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
I don't feel tardy

I don't think you should have deleted the work. You got the camera back. Sometimes what feels best isn't best.

If you don't want to interact with him just let it go and figure it only cost you 250 bucks to never have him bother you again. May turn out to be a bargain comparitively.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Inferno Fab

User is: Online

Is it a true business? Like does it have a business license, tax ID and pay taxes? If not, then I would just leave it all alone. Its not worth the effort. If it does and your name is on the business license then go to the clerks office and close the business.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by joedoh
I don't think you should have deleted the work. You got the camera back. Sometimes what feels best isn't best.

If you don't want to interact with him just let it go and figure it only cost you 250 bucks to never have him bother you again. May turn out to be a bargain comparitively.

I agree 100%. For $250, chalk it up as life experience and get on with your life.

I also agree that you shouldn't have deleted the footage (guy is a moron for not backing up it up though).
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
This is doo doo baby!

get over it

I bet you have nothing documented, no actual "business" with a license or contract. And if you do I would be too embarrassed to go to court over a multi-year business venture that has a net worth of $500, $400 being the camera and the $100 in pizza boxes.

You can try to file as an actual owner to Facebook but unless you have the paperwork they will do nothing.

TL;DR go back to your side of the trailer park and everything will be fine
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
is a fungineer

People's Court time!

You can both show your ass on national TV and get your money back in the process!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by ahalfacre5
I am not so much worried about making any money off of it as much as removing everything online that i created, and having him change the name that i came up with. is there anything i can do? or did i just get f##ked over? can i do anything to find besides kick him in the mouth?
One thing you can do is file one of Facebook's Intellectual Property reports, you are going to have to actually prove it's your image/video (that you own the rights to it). But, he could say something along the lines of that since you were an employee of the business/company at the time, that they actually own the rights.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by flnole78
Is it a true business? Like does it have a business license, tax ID and pay taxes? If not, then I would just leave it all alone. Its not worth the effort. If it does and your name is on the business license then go to the clerks office and close the business.
virginia doesnt require a business license so no we never got one
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by wildman ss
get over it

I bet you have nothing documented, no actual "business" with a license or contract. And if you do I would be too embarrassed to go to court over a multi-year business venture that has a net worth of $500, $400 being the camera and the $100 in pizza boxes.

You can try to file as an actual owner to Facebook but unless you have the paperwork they will do nothing.

TL;DR go back to your side of the trailer park and everything will be fine
if you are gonna be an asshole.. dont comment. i dont think i ever said hey...someone give me a smartass asshole comment.

i guess ill just try to get control of the fb page or have fb or the other guy remove my contributions
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Ticket Magnet

It would cost you $250 just to get a lawyer to read this...get over it.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #16
Ridin' on Twankies

Lol
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #17
This is doo doo baby!

Quote: Originally Posted by ahalfacre5
virginia doesnt require a business license so no we never got one
Virginia might not require a special permit but you have to register your business with them for tax purposes and your local city/county most likely will have business license requirements if out operate out of the area.

you asked for legal advice for legal advice about an illegitimate business with a net worth of $500, expect asshole comments

you got your camera back, just be happy with that
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #18
I own <several ties>

You're on s10forum. Expect assholes.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
Good Bye SonomaST

Quote: Originally Posted by blake293209
You're on s10forum. Expect assholes.
This
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
will detail for food

As a business owner, I say just let it go. If he is the POS that you say, there shouldn't be a problem, he won't know how to make money. Now, if you were making good money on the shirts/videos/etc. and none of the stuff was copyrighted/trade market....take the design and get it copyrighted to tie it back to you.

But, I just say let it go and move on. If you are out of the 'scene' these days, have a family, stay away from the drama, you'll thank yourself in the end..
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #21

How are you coming up with this $500 value?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Registered abUser

Quote: Originally Posted by 96blazer
How are you coming up with this $500 value?
Cost of said camera? Haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.