Propane powered forklift - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Propane powered forklift

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Propane powered forklift

So at work we have this propane powered forklift. It is a Yale, with a 4cyl engine. We had the tank refilled and now it is running like shit. Is there such a thing as stale propane? It takes a little longer to start and won't hold an idle. Idles real rough and can smell unburnt propane out of the exhaust.

Anyone know what's up?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Dangerous

Re: Propane powered forklift

Vacuum leak on the engine? It could be many things. Propane , heck any forklifts are usually not well taken care of and serviced as often as they should be.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #3

sounds like its leaking and not getting as much to the motor as it should......
Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #4

Yeah I know. It has 13,000 hours on it and who knows what kind of service it gets. Tipping the scales at 7400lbs doesn't make it easy to move around.

I am thinking of a basic tune up, plugs wires, cap, rotor.... But where do you get that stuff?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Mmmm Tire smoke.

Moisture build up. When I was in high school, I worked at a grocery store that had a propane floor buffer I ran on Saturday night. When I put a new tank on, the carb would freeze up. The compressed LP is so cold it would freeze the H2O vapor in the air and the buffer would die. Try letting a little of the pressure off the tank and see if that helps.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Yes, those are my feet

Quote: Originally Posted by indigo s10
Try letting a little of the pressure off the tank and see if that helps.
bad idea, as soon as you let a little LP out, the remaining liquid in the tank will vaporize keeping it at the same pressure. oh, and LP fumes attract bugs

Quote: Originally Posted by CRMW70
We had the tank refilled and now it is running like shit. Is there such a thing as stale propane? It takes a little longer to start and won't hold an idle. Idles real rough and can smell unburnt propane out of the exhaust.
2 questions: 1) did the running rough problem happen as soon as you put the refilled tank on there, or did it happen a day or two later? 2) was it running just fine before you put the new tank on?

I probably should have asked that in reverse order, oh well...

To answer your question, there's really not stale LP gas, but there are different grades. Yales come off the same production lines the Hysters I work on do. And the Hysters are supposed to use HD-5 grade fuel. Now with 13K hrs on the dial, I'm sure a tune-up wouldn't hurt. If you can get me a serial number, and a model number I can get you the part #'s you need

Rick

Last edited by Web-Foot Freak; 05-11-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by Web-Foot Freak
bad idea, as soon as you let a little LP out, the remaining liquid in the tank will vaporize keeping it at the same pressure. oh, and LP fumes attract bugs

2 questions: 1) did the running rough problem happen as soon as you put the refilled tank on there, or did it happen a day or two later? 2) was it running just fine before you put the new tank on?

I probably should have asked that in reverse order, oh well...

To answer your question, there's really not stale LP gas, but there are different grades. Yales come off the same production lines the Hysters I work on do. And the Hysters are supposed to use HD-5 grade fuel. Now with 13K hrs on the dial, I'm sure a tune-up wouldn't hurt. If you can get me a serial number, and a model number I can get you the part #'s you need

Rick
sorry to whore but DAMN!!! WTF happened to your feet?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Yes, those are my feet

birth
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
VVVthat thing is deadVVV

birth is a bitch aint it? gettin the um,bilical cord wrapped around your neck aint cool either. Zamboni's run on propane too. they are a blast to drive!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #10

Try another tank of propane, I've seen them get air in it and it make the fork lift run crappy.
If your tank has a top you can convert to fit your grill, try using it on your grill. If the grill doesn't stay lite, the propane is bad.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #11
I still watch cartoons!

yea, we had hyster 30s at my old work... i guess they were in need of a tune up because they would die unless you revved them till they warmed up when you started them lol.. so sad that my brother was the head of maintenace huh?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
Vandelay Industries

I operate forklifts alot at my job. The #1 thing that comes to my mind in your case is moisture buildup. Does it take forever to start and then when it does you have to hold the gas pedal down to keep it running good? And you asked where you get parts. All of our yale lifts have madza 2.2's in them. Even our old yales had mazda motors. Not sure i the old ones are 2.2's or a different engine but i know its a mazda motor. We just got 4 brand new lifts at work and they are NICE. We still have a couple old yales too. Anyhoo, Our forklifts are serviced by a yale authorized rep. Dougherty Truck Equipment Service or something close to that and there is a lift that needs some adjusting and the rep should be there tomorrow if he is i will ask where they get their parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.