problems with the wife's 08' pt cruiser - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

problems with the wife's 08' pt cruiser

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
problems with the wife's 08' pt cruiser

when the car is driving down the road the a/c blows cold and the car runs fine. when at an idle for a few seconds (stop light ect.) it will start blowing warm air and when the compressor kicks on the car will drop down to around 400-500 rpm's and shake like it is about to die for a second until the compressor shuts off and then it idles to correct range of 800-900 rpm's. it will keep doing this until it is being driven and then all is fine. the alternator and battery checked out ok and when the car cools down in a little bit i'm going to check the low side pressure of the a/c system. any ideas would be appreciated
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Trust Me

Re: problems with the wife's 08' pt cruiser

Is the Fan kicking on?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
I own <several ties>

I'd start out with inspecting or replacing the fan if it's blowing warm when idle.

Edit:

look through here? might help you some
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...e-when-ac.html
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

forgot to mention... we stopped at the parts store and had the alternator and battery tested, all ok there. while sitting there in the parking lot the e-fan kicked on the and the a/c started blowing cold while parked. my wife said the temp has stayed at the normal position.

i cannot find the low pressure port on the lines. the can of r134 says the low pressure is the larger diameter line and the car doesn't have a port on the larger line, that i can find between the condenser and the compressor. i will check out the link blake posted and let ya'll know what i find out. when the wife gets home to watch the kids i will let the car idle to double check the fan is working properly. the cruiser is parked and she is driving my car
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by blake293209
I'd start out with inspecting or replacing the fan if it's blowing warm when idle.

Edit:

look through here? might help you some
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...e-when-ac.html

thanks for the link man! pretty much my exact problem but now i don't even want to start the car because my high side of the system is already at 100psi... i just laid the baby down for a nap so when she falls asleep i will go out and start the car and see if the fan kicks on again
Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #6

she also said it runs fine when the a/c is turned off
Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #7

fan is working when the a/c is turned on, i did not drive it or let it warm up to operating temp to see if it worked without the a/c but i assume it would. this time while running just a few minutes the a/c blew cold and it didn't act like it wanted to die. looks like a night of research for me
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #8

drove the car this evening.... drove about 6 mile in town (lots of stop lights) with the a/c turned off, all fine. pulled into a parking lot left the a/c off and the car running to make sure the fan would cycle like it should, and it did. i then turned the a/c on full blast and stayed parked, all ok there. so i drove back through town with the a/c on and it never missed a beat. i was with my wife this afternoon when it started acting up so i know it wasn't her imagination, but i don't know why it would do it then and not now. the car never rose above normal operating temp this afternoon or this evening. the outside temp was 81 when we had the problems this afternoon and it was 86 outside this evening when i drove it. any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
YOU ARE GAY

Fan clutch going out?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by layedouton20s
Fan clutch going out?
this one has an electric fan
Old 05-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Been around the block

Vacuum leak??
Old 05-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #12

Looked around yesterday when it was messing up and i didn't hear one and didn't see any cracked or broken hoses
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #13

All newer vehicles are equipped with a voltage regulator which will tell the engine to increase the idle rpm when high current draw is present. It sounds to me like yours is malfunctioning. I am not familiar with Chrysler but I had this problem in my Honda and the voltage regulator was in the main fuse box as one part. It cost me $140 to replace it. Maybe you can just increase the idle rpm. This voltage regulator is not the same one that is in the alternator, it is separate and controls the engine idle.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #14

Did it make the a/c blow warm when at an idle?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #15

I don't really remember a drastic drop in the a/c temp but it fixed the rpm problem. On my 97 Honda when the a/c compressor cuts on the e-fans also come on causing a large current pull all at once. Alternators will push more current at higher rpm so if your voltage regulator isn't telling your engine to hold a specific rpm to maintain a certain voltage then I would imagine that your e-fans are not running at full speed due to the voltage drop causing the warmer air. It eventually got so bad I started to get misfire codes which is why I spent the $140 to have it replaced. It could also be an idle valve that regulates pressures in the vacuum system which in my Honda is controlled by the idle voltage regulator.

If you look into it you will find that regulators failing is a common problem though most blame the alternator first not knowing that the car also has one to help control voltage with the idle. Chrysler may not call it a voltage regulator but I am fairly positive they have a system that monitors that.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #16

It's called a Electrical Load Detector on my Honda. Also check you IAC to see if it works or is stuck.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #17

these cars have a two stage fan... low speed when the a/c is running and high when cooling the coolant. the two speeds would be produced from the relays correct? if so, in theory i could install a cheaper than oem aftermarket performance fan and wire it into the oem connections and it would run the two stages... right?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
ASE certified MasterTech

As mentioned above, the high speed fan should come on with A/C request, if not either bad wiring or bad relay or bad fan.
I've seen two PT's with the same complaint, both of which the fans were bad.

The presure port your searching for, it is down below and not easy to access unless you have skiny arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.