POST UP your mountain bikes and rack systems!! - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

POST UP your mountain bikes and rack systems!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #51

User is: OffLine
Re: POST UP your mountain bikes and rack systems!!

Ill have to take a picture of my urban mtb...with the blue tires. im sure everyone will get a kick outa it.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #52
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

well i found one the other day craigslist finally came through $225 for this guy and I'm very happy with it so far. Switched out the pedals to my bmx ones for the time being. also going to cut down the seat post it sits way to high for my liking

Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #53
I AM CANADIAN

that looks sick, nice find!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #54

Sweet hardrock dude! Nice find
Old 04-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #55
S10=Honda civic of minis

What are your riding plans for the Hardrock? Because if I were you I wouldn't cut down the seat post. My 26" XC bike I keep the seat high whether I'm on the trail or on the street. Makes pedaling so much more efficient. Now my 26" DJ bike, I keep the seat slammed. But it has completely different frame geometry and I don't try to travel too much distance on it.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #56
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

Quote: Originally Posted by rooster52478
What are your riding plans for the Hardrock? Because if I were you I wouldn't cut down the seat post. My 26" XC bike I keep the seat high whether I'm on the trail or on the street. Makes pedaling so much more efficient. Now my 26" DJ bike, I keep the seat slammed. But it has completely different frame geometry and I don't try to travel too much distance on it.

I'm just used to riding my bmx bike i feel like I'm 10 ft in the air if i end up not liking it ill just grab another one.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #57
S10=Honda civic of minis

Word. I hated being that high when I first started riding XC trails. But after I got used to I can't ride any other way. I even converted to clipless pedals on that bike. Which is another thing I thought I would never do.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #58
I AM CANADIAN

i know we are minitruckers and like our things low, but keep the seat up high like rooster said, helps pedaling and plus.. you wont look like a trail gangster.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #59
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

Quote: Originally Posted by rooster52478
Word. I hated being that high when I first started riding XC trails. But after I got used to I can't ride any other way. I even converted to clipless pedals on that bike. Which is another thing I thought I would never do.

there is no way i could ride clipless pedals i refuse to they scare me! i took about 2.5 inches off the seat post but it can still go pretty high so i should be fine later on down the road... one step at a time
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #60
Sgt. Stv-LoNowitz

alright i need your guys' opinions... are quests any good? i scored one for free ... n if i dont like it ill just sell it kinda cheap n get something thats better
Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #61
S10=Honda civic of minis

Quote: Originally Posted by bmxbang
there is no way i could ride clipless pedals i refuse to they scare me! i took about 2.5 inches off the seat post but it can still go pretty high so i should be fine later on down the road... one step at a time

They scared me too when I first got them. I was used to my 26" dj/street bike where I could throw the bike away. I'm not gonna lie, I've bit it pretty good a couple times due to being clipped in. At least every time was out on the trails vs riding through town.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:20 AM   #62

seat post up definately.

on my ironhorse, its 11 inches out of the bike, the gary fisher its 9.5
Old 04-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #63
**** you

im going to be picking up an iron horse warrior 5.0 either today or tomorow.

And i have no idea how you guys ride those walmart mongoose bikes. I used to work for a company assembling bikes for walmart, and i took a few of those mongooses for a ride, And every time id pedal, the suspension would compress and shit.. Was very annoying. Pretty dificult to get moving fast. Not to mention they weighed about as much as a truck lol
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #64
**** you

i used to think clipless pedals were nuts too. then i decided to get into bmx racing. and everoyne uses them at the track, so i get a set, and some shoes, and it was actually pretty easy for me to unclip for bails and shit. I used to take the race bike to the trails and ride the rythim sections to get used to being clipped in.. First couple runs were a little hairy, but after that it was fine.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #65

The Bike: just a Trek 4500 with a few mods... it's enough to get me through the woods.

The rack on the top of the truck: generic roof rack that I modified to mount to the factory luggage rack.

The bike on the rack.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #66
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

I really like that modified roof rack i wish i could do that to mine but i had to modify my factory one for my snowboard mount in the winter. very nicely done though it looks clean.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #67

I really like that modified roof rack i wish i could do that to mine but i had to modify my factory one for my snowboard mount in the winter. very nicely done though it looks clean.
Thanks Man. It wasn't that hard to modify the rack. I took the pedestals off the rack and cut the cross bars to fit between the factory rails (to prevent sid to side movement). Then I drilled holes in the cross bars of the rack and used "J" hooks to mount the rack to the factory cross bars.

I'm going to have to fab a plastic fairing for the front of the rack because above 50 mph with the rear windows down I get a low frequency pulse (almost like the sound of a helicopter rotor only lower) that literally shakes the truck like a wheel out of balance and cancels out the sound waves from the rear speakers. Just an example of how aero-sensitive something like the roof rack on these trucks can be.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #68

I'm glad I came across this thread. My last bike was stolen and I've been wanting to get back into shape by riding, I rode over 35miles last friday with some buddies and loved it. I'm not looking to get a decked out bike, does anyone know what's the best bike out for under $300? Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #69

Quote: Originally Posted by chadlogan112
I'm glad I came across this thread. My last bike was stolen and I've been wanting to get back into shape by riding, I rode over 35miles last friday with some buddies and loved it. I'm not looking to get a decked out bike, does anyone know what's the best bike out for under $300? Thanks
Go to your local bike shop and see if they have any left over 2008 models. I paid around $400 for my Trek 4500 (saved about $150 by buying an '07 instead of an '08).

As for what brand, test ride a few different brands in your price range and see what fits you best... personally I've always liked Gary Fisher and Trek.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #70

Craigslist. Find one you like, post it up here, and let the fellas give their feedback. I have found some really nice deals around here recently.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #71
Sgt. Stv-LoNowitz

alright you guys... i got this bie for free so it was definitely cheap enough n i know its a walmart special... but here it is... anyone ride one of these for awhile n can give me some feedback on it? cuz i rode it a little bit just to make sure brakes n gears worked on it

n as for the rack i dont have one yet but im planning an in bed rack that can hold 2-3 bikes any more pics of an in bed would be appreciated... especially on a bagged truck
Old 04-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #72
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

any one have any ideas on on board computers... im looking to get one but i would rather have a wireless one but i wanna stay on the cheap side so i might just grab one of the wire ones. just looking for the miles/speed/time on it nothing crazy. heard mixed reviews on the bell ones at walmart but im not one to rock walmart stuff on my bikes unless there inner tubs lol
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #73

any one have any ideas on on board computers... im looking to get one but i would rather have a wireless one but i wanna stay on the cheap side so i might just grab one of the wire ones. just looking for the miles/speed/time on it nothing crazy. heard mixed reviews on the bell ones at walmart but im not one to rock walmart stuff on my bikes unless there inner tubs lol
Hit up Price Point (www.pricepoint.com) any of the bike computers they have are worthwhile and the prices can't be beat.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #74

I've got a 2007 Iron Horse Sachem. I just got it painted candy green last month.
And I have a 2005 Kona Coiler. I love both of them.

But I would kill for that Demo 9 that was posted earlier...

Last edited by pearldrop; 11-30-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #75
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

Quote: Originally Posted by 96S10BlazerGuy
Hit up Price Point (www.pricepoint.com) any of the bike computers they have are worthwhile and the prices can't be beat.

thanks man i ended up hitting up a local bike shop and found one a specialized one for 30 bucks so i grabbed it. these things are pretty sweet
Old 04-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #76
**** you

Got my iron horse today. its a pretty sweet bike. Havent ridden it yet, because i need to pick up some presta valve adapters. so i might have to wait for tomorow to take it out. Put some old wellgo bmx pedals on it becuse i dont have anny clipless shoes at the moment. so ill be hunting down a set of those soon. and yes, i still need to adjust the seat and what not..

Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #77

Quote: Originally Posted by AssDragginSdime
Got my iron horse today. its a pretty sweet bike. Havent ridden it yet, because i need to pick up some presta valve adapters. so i might have to wait for tomorow to take it out. Put some old wellgo bmx pedals on it becuse i dont have anny clipless shoes at the moment. so ill be hunting down a set of those soon. and yes, i still need to adjust the seat and what not..

Damn, I like that one, how much do they run?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #78
**** you

Damn, I like that one, how much do they run?
i kinda stole it lol. Its an 07 model and i got it on amazon.com for $397 shipped overnight. I dono if i got the last 07 they had but right after i bought it the price jumped up to like 599 or something. Allthough they are still showing the pic as being the 07 model that i have. I have seen the 07 ones on ebay for between 500-600 as well. But ive heard in stores they went for around the $700 range.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #79

Quote: Originally Posted by AssDragginSdime
i kinda stole it lol. Its an 07 model and i got it on amazon.com for $397 shipped overnight. I dono if i got the last 07 they had but right after i bought it the price jumped up to like 599 or something. Allthough they are still showing the pic as being the 07 model that i have. I have seen the 07 ones on ebay for between 500-600 as well. But ive heard in stores they went for around the $700 range.
Wow, that doesn't sound bad at all. I see a Iron Horse 3.0 for around 350 on there that I like. Are Iron Horse's supposed to be good bikes? Comparable to Trek and them?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #80
**** you

yea iron horse makes good shit. For the money the components are pretty decent too. It was a toss up for me between the horse, and a GT avalanche 3.0 disc, And after searching on google, i found a thread for someone else debating the same 2 choices, and everyone said go with the horse. So for the price i got it at, it was kindof a no brainer.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #81
Gone but not forgotten.

So far my son's Ironhorse has worked well and looks to be well built...he is only 8 but tries hard to keep up with me.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #82

Mine is an ironhorse frame and I built the rest. I beat the holy f*** outta that frame and its still awesome and rides like a champ.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #83

So I'm really interested in the Iron Horse's amazon has for about $360 with free shipping. Does anyone know if they can be had any cheaper? And are these the best that I'm going to get for the money pretty much?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #84

I finally picked me up a bike a few days ago. It's a GT I-Drive 5.0, full suspension and all that. However, I'd like to get me some disc brakes. Does anyone know where this can be had the cheapest?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #85

I finally picked me up a bike a few days ago. It's a GT I-Drive 5.0, full suspension and all that. However, I'd like to get me some disc brakes. Does anyone know where this can be had the cheapest?
Price Point
Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #86
**** you

you'll need to either get a new set of wheels, or have your set re-laced with disc hubs, You'll need to have the disc tabs on your fork and rear swing arm. You can buy a new fork with the tabs on it if need be. But if you dont have them on the rear swing arm, then i dono what you can do there. Then you need to figure out weather to go mechanical (cable) or hydraulic brakes. if you go hydraulic you will need new levers, if you go mechanical, you should be able to re-use yours.

Heres some basic mechanical ones. youd need 2 sets. 1 front and 1 rear, and thats with the caliper and disc.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+09.aspx

These are what i have.. there a basic hydraulic brake, But work great. i can go from hauling ass in top gear to a dead stop in a matter of a few feet, and it doesnt lock the tires up at all.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...And+Lever.aspx

So if you have the disc tabs on your frame and fork all you gotta do is get a set of brakes and some disc hubs, and you should be good to go.

Last edited by AssDragginSdime; 05-10-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: forgot a link
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #87
square body newbie

Performance bike frame
Full 08 XT drivetrain
Truvativ cranks-3rd set in 6 months
one of the few B9'r sets-650B rear 29 front
Rockshox Reba Race fork
RaceFace stem, seatpost
WTB saddle
Origin 8 carbon bar
Tektro brake levers with Avid BB7's

here she be-

Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #88
I have a wheel fetish !

all flatland bmx here.

been debating on buying a new mountain bike tho.

about 2/3 of my collection.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #89
Sgt. Stv-LoNowitz

geeze lapeeze man... care to donate to the poor?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #90
you think of something

Quote: Originally Posted by TRILOGY
all flatland bmx here.

been debating on buying a new mountain bike tho.

about 2/3 of my collection.

theres more holy poopie.....you must be good then, lets see some pics of a backflip or somethin or video link im just curious
Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 AM   #91

How do you like that Hardrock? There's one for sale locally here, what do you guys think?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1188583397.html
Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #92
Captain Obvious

I used to mountain bike all the time when I was a kid, and recently picked it back up. I live a quarter mile from the American River Bike Trail (Click here for Info) which is 32 miles worth of always fresh pavement and plenty of off-road courses from casual to holy-shit-you're-going-to-break-your-damned-neck-if-you-go-down-that.

The best part about it though is being next to the river. Getting too hot from your ride? Hop on in.

Took some shots of it recently -

Most of the trail looks like this, plus the view of the river.

River! Throw rocks at it!

This is off the fishing bridge I normally ride to and back (12mi round trip)

Other side of the bridge looking up at Sunrise Ave. Bridge.

Oh yeah, my bike -

Your starter Trek (3700) - the 22.5"; HUGE difference when you're a tall/big guy to get a bigger frame bike. I'm very happy with it, although if I do get an upgrade ever I'll be sure to get locking front shocks if not a solid fork. I never take it off the trail so it doesn't matter much.

I'm hoping by the end of the summer I'll be ready for a trip up to Folsom Dam, which is a 28mi round trip.

Last edited by Imperial; 05-28-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #93
I just cummed.

I love this bike, but last time I rode it I almost went over a steep wall since I'm not experienced with the suspension. I was going downhill, absorbing all of the bumps with the bike, which I am used to doing on my own. It is almost like full suspension makes for a really sloppy, lazy ride.

I really need a new trunk carrier. The one I have now seems to be the cheapest one that they made ten years ago. It seems everytime I haul two bikes one gets tore up somehow from the drive. Too bad I can't have a roof rack.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #94
BUT I WONT PUT IT HERE

Quote: Originally Posted by Avgas
How do you like that Hardrock? There's one for sale locally here, what do you guys think?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1188583397.html

i love mine every one i talk to has nothing but good things to say about them aswell, the parts are good enough to last you for a while to
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #95

Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #96

I know it's an old thread but since its just about posting pics I figured I would show off my new rack. Originally when I bought the truck it was "shaved", the previous owner did a crap job of just filling the holes with body filler. Well I do a lot of riding and I don't have a hitch so I bought a swagman fork mount rack. It was $50 shipped and an awesome deal . Ignore the front looking so high. I just installed new 2" coils in the front and im running a 205/65-15 tire. Originally it had some cut 2" coils in it and it looked good but man the cross-member scraped on everything. It rides so much better now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.