Photography - Page 70 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Photography

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #3451

User is: OffLine
Re: Photography

Quote: Originally Posted by Slow_S10
T

Also I have never really understood battery grips unless you are shooting a ton of Portrait shots. Or if you are like a professional sports photographer where even a second of downtime can mean a missed shot. For the casual photographer to me it makes more sense to just carry a couple extra charged batteries in your camera bag or pocket instead of attached to your camera.

One reason I've seen why a lot of people like using battery grips is because they think it will make others think they have a pro camera.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #3452
Petitioning Low Rollers

Quote: Originally Posted by Slow_S10
That Canon lens should be great. I have two STM lenses and I love them. Also if you mainly shoot with the kit lens I would highly recommend picking up a 50mm lens. Either the f/1.8 or the f/1.4. Both lenses are good the difference is that the 1.8 is really cheap and is a great second lens for anyone just starting out. The f/1.4 is much more expensive but worth it, it's much higher quality and has a smoother faster focus. But both lenses excel in low light situations and can give you amazing depth of field.

Also I have never really understood battery grips unless you are shooting a ton of Portrait shots. Or if you are like a professional sports photographer where even a second of downtime can mean a missed shot. For the casual photographer to me it makes more sense to just carry a couple extra charged batteries in your camera bag or pocket instead of attached to your camera.
This article I found before I asked this question actually talks about the 50mm but I didnt think it would be to useful in a car show environment. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...ou-should-buy/
But what really makes the cannon wide angle better? The only real differences I see is the cannon has a stabilizer and a different f stop (I think thats what its called)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #3453
-------------

The best thing about the 50mm lenses is that they are light sponges. They absolutely soak up light. Which means you can easily shoot with available light in situations that would either be impossible or require cranking up the ISO to get a shot with other lenses. In addition to being good at low light when you do have plenty of light to play with they get really really sharp once you start dialing up the aperture and can take some beautiful shots. They are considered a mild zoom especially on a crop sensor camera so they are not good for that up close fish eye look that seems to be really popular lately in car show photos. But if you are willing to take a few steps back and shoo away some spectators you can get some really nice shots with a 50.

But as far as the wide lenses that you are looking at, the STM design is awesome, it is one of the quietest and fastest focusing motors. They were actually designed for the newer cameras that shoot video so they can continue to focus constantly and very quietly. But that is a huge plus because if you ever decide to upgrade to a body that can shoot movies you'll already have a lens that will work with it. Plus what that lens loses in an f stop to the Tamron it easily gains back with its image stabilization, and it's more than $100 less expensive. The only real down side is that it is a completely brand new lens and there are no real world reviews to compare it against the well proven Tamron lens. Honestly it's up to you but if It were me instead of getting that Tamron wide angle lens I would pick up the Canon 10-18mm and a 50mm f/1.8, and still have a few bucks left over.

I am not going to lie a good wide angle lens is also something that I have been missing and I have almost talked myself into buying one of these too. Just gotta come up with the funds.

http://amzn.com/B00K899B9Y
Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #3454
alway's changing somethin

well I got a new toy ,now I need to learn to use it

Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #3455
You can't polish a turd.

I bought that same camera set a couple weeks ago. We really like it.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #3456

I like it too , even more when I learn more about using it
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #3457

Jumping into astro photography terrestrial subjects are getting stale at the moment. The scope is a Celestron 8" and camera is canon T3i.
Attached Thumbnails
Photography-20140628_122146.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #3458

sweeeeeeeeeeet
Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #3459
CNC Plasma Cutting

*not my pic and not sure who took it*

As much as I want to leave Albuquerque, a view like this makes it a little easier to stay - Sandia Mountains that overlook the city.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #3460

good one ......wow
Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #3461

Awesome pic

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.