part time hourly employees forced to stay past scheduled shift? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

part time hourly employees forced to stay past scheduled shift?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
back to the blaze

User is: OffLine
part time hourly employees forced to stay past scheduled shift?

so since laborlawtalk.com won't send me my confirmation email, and this is probably the brightest forum that i view (sherdog.com people would talk about trannies), i figure i'll ask you guys for input.

working part time, as an hourly employee, there are scheduled shifts that we must be on the work premises. for example, my work closes at 9pm, and everyone scheduled until 9:30pm to get their closing stuff done. is it legal to keep employees until 10pm, or is that against the law? i ask because of new management doesn't let anyone out of the building until everything is spotless and perfect. before calling hr and making an ass out of myself, i figured i'd google. i google'd a lot and didn't find a straight answer. some stuff said yes, it's illegal but wasn't backed up by documentation. any bright people have input on this? i'm just pissed because i had to pick someone up at 10pm, after i got off work (i was scheduled until 9:30pm), and i was late and the person was pissed off at me. oh well. at least i got paid for the extra time.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
drunk and bored

Re: part time hourly employees forced to stay past scheduled shift?

legally i'd guess yes only because you are part time....

full time employee would definately be illegal....but who's gonna cry in this economy......(besides you)
Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #3

If your on the clock getting paid and the work was asked by management, not really much to say. Just make sure it's on your check, if not the you got a gripe.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Don't see how it would be any different than required overtime. In which case, yes, they can.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Oh shit....

Quote: Originally Posted by paint toad
legally i'd guess yes only because you are part time....

full time employee would definately be illegal....but who's gonna cry in this economy......(besides you)

word for word that is what i was going to say
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
has 22's now

I have some shitty hours at work too.

We only get 30 minutes for lunch, but we get taken for an hour every day. Our hours are 9:45-6:15, if we clock in early we dont get paid for it. Also if we clock out at like 6:05 we get docked .3 hours. So instead of getting paid 7.5 hours that day we get 7.2. Also if we stay after work I have to go back and circle everyones time cards if we clock out after 6:15. The park manager said it was to prevent "goofing off" and not clocking out on time.

Also my boss is crazy. She said the other day she was going to kick people out for having food on the pool deck. She wants us to look through peoples bags for food when they come through the gate (**** that im not doing that). The other day we had a "poop" incident. Turns out it was a candy bar in the pool, I thought it was hilarious. My boss then makes us announce to the pool "Who ever put the candy bar in the pool admit it." WTF, who in their right mind would do that?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
former title junky mod

Here is my personal take on it... When they give you a schedule you agree to that. When they tell you that you must stay later they are not forcing you to stay. If they penalise you for leaving at your scheduled time (write up, fire, etc) then in my eyes that is similar to kidnapping. I know it sounds extreme, but thats the way I see it. Some states are right to work states and you can be let go or fired for any reason and they dont have to have a legitimate reason. If you live in one of these states I would say you are outta luck....
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
I Don't Fear DEATH

To the OP: Why Complain ITS MORE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET. Hell you still get paid for the time right. When i worked at Pizza Hut on the schedule it said something like 5-CL (CL=closing) and that required us to clean everything in the restaurant, take trash out, sweep, mop. and there were times that the we closed at 10 and i wasnt out of there till 11 because of slow co-workers or me doing it myself. And how long have you been working at this place?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
O'Reilly R.S.S

Quote: Originally Posted by Geat
We only get 30 minutes for lunch, but we get taken for an hour every day.
call your state labor board and complain. this is illegal and you are owed compensation!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
has 22's now

Quote: Originally Posted by nti06
call your state labor board and complain. this is illegal and you are owed compensation!
It is the state im working for. My boss says its because we sit around so much. Shes right, but even so I would like an hour for lunch to what I want, leave work etc.

EDIT: How much I get to "sit around" depends on how busy we are. There are 9 of us working at the pool, 2 guards always on stand. If there are over 50 people 5 guards on stand, we rotate every 15 minutes. Also I thought about sending an email to the governor the other day, I was so pissed at my boss I was seeing red haha.

Last edited by Geat; 06-30-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
I Don't Fear DEATH

Quote: Originally Posted by juggalomm
at least i got paid for the extra time.

you got paid, so in that situation tell who ever it is that "Hey I may have to work late, so give me some time."

Problem solved.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
drunk and bored

by law,in my state...10 minute break 'in the morning and afternoon,they do not have to be paid......

we get 30 minutes for lunch(unpaid) and a 10 minute paid break at 2:30ish....

i could piss and moan and say that i demand a break at 10am to go have a smoke.....but then i am sure i would get docked for that 10 minutes...and the afternoon break i would get docked for....and they would probably want me to stay till 4:50 just so i put in my 8 hours!

my thoughts are to just roll over and play the game(i do)
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
My mirror hates my sub

IMO once a week is fine but daily.. unpaid is just outrageous.. that adds up to another couple hours.. and if you're only part time that is a big difference.. that could be 5-10+% of your paycheck
Old 06-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
NeoGeo

if you are getting paid the time for being there, then just roll with it. in these times, you need every penny you can get man.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #15

when i was manger at the restraunt i would put 5-CL(closing) instead of a time that way little cry babies like you dont go well my schedule says 9:30 im leaving and leave with things undone cause they were jerking off till 9:30.
techianclly you could leave at the time it says, but why theres plenty of people that would stay the extra mins, so u bascially u be firing yourself and if there clocking you out for an hour break and only giving u 30min thats illegal, i would say something about that
Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
bodydropped on 22s!

i wouldnt complain about making extra cash
Old 06-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
bodydropped on 22s!

oops
Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

You'd have to be a fool to complain about that. I stay late whenever I can and if I'm not hungry I don't take a lunch.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #19
DELIBERATE DESIGNS

tough shit. If ya know your staying longer then don't plan your night around your 9:30 leave.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #20
**** you

they used to do that to me nightly at the grocery store seafood dept. i worked in. Basically the dept. Closed at 9. And there was generally 2 employees on, One was scheduled until 9, the other until 10. i almost always was the one scheduled until 10. in that case i had to make sure everything was done, all the product had to be wrapped and put away every night, everyting had to be wiped down, dishes had to be done, floors washed, deep fryers cleaned, and on certain nights we had to change the ice in the display cases.

if i started cleaning up at 9 when the dept. closed, i would be able to levae by 11 or 1130. On days where it was slow enough for me to start cleaning early, i would be out by 1030.. and days we had to do everything plus change ice.. well there was a couple times i was there till midnight or later finishing up

i really didn't care tho because it was a part time job, and that just meant more money for me. The only time it really bothered me was if there was a party or something to go to.

As far as i know around here, the only labor laws i can think of regarding scheduling for part time employees who are over 18, is if you are classified as a part time employee, and you work more than 3 consecutive weeks at 35+ hours, They need to change your status to full time and pay you the wage of a full time employee.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #21

If your getting paid I wouldn't worry. I clock in when I get to work and clock out when I leave. We don't get breaks, and we get a 30 min lunch.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #22
no more S10

Yes it's legal. Shit happend all the time when I used to work at a clothing store in the mall. We were on the schedule until 10 even though the mall closed at 9 so that the managers could empty the registers and do all the nigthly paper work and the associates could could straighten the store up, fold and hang all the clothes, put up returns, restock deplenished areas, and sweep if needed. Ususally that only took an hour if there were enough associates. If not, sometimes we didn't get out of there until 10:15, 10:30, or later. Did we bitch, sure. We got paid though, so it didn't really matter too much. Plus there wasn't much we could do. If we left, we'd get written up and possibly right out fired. It was just understood that you had to stay until the job was done. When I became a manager there I actually began to enjoy staying late, because over 40 hours there ment overtime pay, good ol time and a half. I did bitch pretty bad the days I'd have to pull 11+ hour days prior to regional or corporate visits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.