Lowered trucks and the Law - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By joesmokabo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Lowered trucks and the Law

Hey everyone! So I could be completely wrong, but I have noticed most of us on here have lowered truck of some sort. Now I have had a few people (not on here) tell me that lowered trucks get pulled over more and some stuff like that, So do you think that is true? Feel free to share your Cop stories, Pics, etc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 05:38 PM
It's a 4. something

Garage
Re: Lowered trucks and the Law

Do lowered trucks get pulled over more? To a degree but no more than any other modified vehicle. Typically any modified vehicle that stands out will catch more attention from the cops. It also depends on how it looks. I've never been pulled over in my light blue LS swapped 3/3 dropped 97 s10. My 98 silver 3/4 dropped s10 got pulled over a lot. But it was also shaved and looked like a stoner truck. Probably because I bought it from a stoner lol.

As for the laws, most states have vehicle height laws. It usually pertains to the bumper and light heights. AR has laws on bumper height and the hight of the headlights and tail lights. Overall, I don't get messed with much but I also don't drive like a retard or a 16 year old who just got his license.

97 S10 RCSB 4.8 V8, 4L60E swap. (Speed)
99 Blazer ZR2 4.3 auto. (Mud/Winter)
2000 Trailblazer edition, 2wd, graphite interior.
13 Ford Fusion Titanium (Wife's DD)
co-owner of S10s Unlimited Inc.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Right I totally agree with you, the more modified the more it stands out, I had a ram when I was in College and that had all kinds of lights and illegal stuff. Just curious if the lowered truck look get more attention, I Live in Houston and see dropped trucks pulled over all the time HAHA
post #4 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM
1991exs10

Garage

In my experience, it has been wheel choice that attracts police, my 98 single cab was lowered 5-6 and had 17 silver wheels never brought police presence. However my 99 extended cab was bagged with 18 aluminum Colorado Customs wheels and I always got pulled over, even when the bags were all the way up. Both trucks were green and nether had anything shaved. I now have a 91 dropped 3-3 with aluminum 16s, knock on wood has never been pulled over
post #5 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy@1991 View Post
In my experience, it has been wheel choice that attracts police, my 98 single cab was lowered 5-6 and had 17 silver wheels never brought police presence. However my 99 extended cab was bagged with 18 aluminum Colorado Customs wheels and I always got pulled over, even when the bags were all the way up. Both trucks were green and nether had anything shaved. I now have a 91 dropped 3-3 with aluminum 16s, knock on wood has never been pulled over
that sounds pretty sweet, I plan on putting chrome gold Areo wheels on mine so I hope thats not the case LOL
post #6 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 PM
1991exs10

Garage

Post some pics let us know how it works out
post #7 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 07:11 PM
B4U Task Force

My SS has been lowered for more than 20 years and never been pulled over..it's gone thru a few cosmetic changes, but nothing drastic. My advise to the new kids on the block is to not drive it like you stole it and you'll be ok. Of course if you have a bunch of illegal mods...prepare to pony up. Crooked frenched license plates, red/blue lights up front will draw attention. Hitting the switches as you go down the road, or throwing sparks will lighten your wallet.

U.S.C.G. "So others may live"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #8 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 07:16 PM
1991exs10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit View Post
My SS has been lowered for more than 20 years and never been pulled over..it's gone thru a few cosmetic changes, but nothing drastic. My advise to the new kids on the block is to not drive it like you stole it and you'll be ok. Of course if you have a bunch of illegal mods...prepare to pony up. Crooked frenched license plates, red/blue lights up front will draw attention. Hitting the switches as you go down the road, or throwing sparks will lighten your wallet.
Agreed, I am glad I grew out of that stuff, that's why my current truck is staying simple
post #9 of 19 Old 03-14-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah that is Correct my good sir, I quickly left the flashy truck phase after forking over $1,000 in tickets, there is a lot of potholes around here so I cant even drive like an ass without having to slow down LOL
post #10 of 19 Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Fronk-en-Steen

10 years in a lowered S10 and have never been pulled over for anything other than forgetting to turn my headlights on once after leaving a drive thru. Some states have laws regarding the vehicles scrub line.

TelAmeriCorp
post #11 of 19 Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Red face Re: Lowered trucks and the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
10 years in a lowered S10 and have never been pulled over for anything other than forgetting to turn my headlights on once after leaving a drive thru. Some states have laws regarding the vehicles scrub line.
Wow that is an impressive streak...I've been stopped 26 times in 7 years, 6 tickets and over $1000 in fees...I was a bit of a rebel when I was younger, After points on my license and on probation I definitely drive like a grandma now LOL
post #12 of 19 Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 PM
B4U Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreln View Post
Yeah that is Correct my good sir, I quickly left the flashy truck phase after forking over $1,000 in tickets, there is a lot of potholes around here so I cant even drive like an ass without having to slow down LOL
There's nothing wrong with a flashy truck...you just have to play by the rules. Although, on the S10 forum there are a lot of people, not always youngsters, that push the limits, often pass the line then get pissy when the leos do their job.

U.S.C.G. "So others may live"

Apple Red 96 SS
post #13 of 19 Old 03-15-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a flashy truck...you just have to play by the rules. Although, on the S10 forum there are a lot of people, not always youngsters, that push the limits, often pass the line then get pissy when the leos do their job.
Right I agree, 99.9% of the time I got pulled over I deserved it
post #14 of 19 Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Better post-em.

Send a message via AIM to comics22

I was lowered 2/2 thru high-school and never got pulled over - did once but that was a long story that wouldnt have mattered what vehicle i was driving.

then went to 4/4 for awhile never got pulled over or anything. i drove normal though - i mean even if you floor a 2.2l your still not really driving like you stole it.

currently stock height in military scheme with extra lights everywhere and only got pulled over once for goign 12 over - written warning and he didnt say anything about my vehicle except it was going too fast. not gonna deny it i was going over - about 200 feet from when it went up 5mph so kinda bogus but i was speeding...

my chevette has gotten more police prescience... usually i float at 55-60 on the highway (its a 3k rpm and screamin darn no power and no 5th gear) police will go to pass me but ride along the side of me and look with pointing and thumbs up as they go past. or at red lights they roll thier window down and tell me they like my car.
Once I was trying to blast some gunk out of it after doing the seafoam treatment and was dong 85mph when i went past a cop taking radar. I saw him do a double take at me and his gun then him pointing and laughing as I slammed on the brakes down to 55 in front of him. he never did move...

Ive got a clean record and only gotten pulled over twice in my life - one was just letting me know my license plate tag expired, other was that legit written warning. 3rd time i was already pulled over at the end of an off ramp with my hazards on so i could play with my phone to find a wendys (unframilliar town). like 30 seconds after i stop i see suspicious crown vic headlights coming behind me then the cherries and berries. He asked if everything was Ok and i told him i just pulled over to use my phone to find a wendys. he said well i appreciate you pulling over to do that and using your hazards and i was just checking on you but if you turn right and about 3/4 mile down the road make a left it will be right there haha. so i thanked him and ate me a 1/2# of awesomeness.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM
It's a 4. something

Garage

Quote:
This will be an interesting test with my blue truck. Right now it's on some stock 98+ swirlies. I have a set of C6 split spoke vette wheels for it but haven't put them on yet. It's going to take some of that stock factory away. I specifically picked these particular wheels because they are painted silver and not chrome or anything but even still, those big things are going to stand out a little. I'm hoping the cops still leave me alone though.

97 S10 RCSB 4.8 V8, 4L60E swap. (Speed)
99 Blazer ZR2 4.3 auto. (Mud/Winter)
2000 Trailblazer edition, 2wd, graphite interior.
13 Ford Fusion Titanium (Wife's DD)
co-owner of S10s Unlimited Inc.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Fronk-en-Steen

I doubt they'll give a shit. At least those are still stock wheels, albeit not for that truck. I could see the theory holding more water when it comes to some super flashy large diameter shits, or some giant billets. Even then, I'm near the land of donks and it doesn't seem like the cops don't give them a problem more than anyone else.

TelAmeriCorp
post #17 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM
1991exs10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
I doubt they'll give a shit. At least those are still stock wheels, albeit not for that truck. I could see the theory holding more water when it comes to some super flashy large diameter shits, or some giant billets. Even then, I'm near the land of donks and it doesn't seem like the cops don't give them a problem more than anyone else.
OK fine I am going buy 28 in crome rims with rubber bands, and slapping them on my truck to test out the theory

post #18 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK fine I am going buy 28 in crome rims with rubber bands, and slapping them on my truck to test out the theory
haha I would love to see that. I think it all comes down to how much attention you and your truck brings. If your big and flashy are going to notice. Now if you are big and flashy and obey the laws I dont think you would have a problem. But from my experience if you drive something that gets attention by loud exhause, bass, wheels or whatever, you definitely get a second look.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-21-2017, 01:32 AM
Alumni: Anger Management

Garage
In So Cal you get pulled over for the way you look. Just be legal. No worries.
dnyce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page