Living On My Own Now - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Living On My Own Now

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #51
scrapes speedbumps

User is: OffLine
Re: Living On My Own Now

I moved out 2 months after graduating high school, lived in indy for a year and moved back after school, moved out 9 months later after saving some cash, rented for about 3 yeras and I just bought my first house about 9 months ago. I couldn't imagine ever going back to live with mom or dad. They are great and all but you can't beat having your own place.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #52
The "D" is silent

I've only been a homeowner for 2 years and I'm starting to think that renting is the way to go. I look at all the money and time I've put into the house and really don't think its worth it. Yeah the house is way nicer than it was when we bought it and luckily we're in an area that hasn't been hit by the economy, but I think I'd rather just let someone else do all the work. I'd rather pay an extra an $100 or two on rent and let someone else deal with the headaches and upgrades. I think at this point, I'd rather just save the money I blow on home improvements in the form of cash instead of dumping it into the house. No property taxes, homeowner insurance, etc, to deal with too.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #53
Wondersmith

maybe its where i live, but owning would be so much nicer IMO, i would get a garage, i would get property to do whatever the f i wanted to on, i could take care of my lawn and not think the next person to live here is going to **** up my work to make this place look nice, never have to worry about landlord showing my apt, or about a landlord in general... but like i said, its probably different for where you live...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #54
resident crybaby

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #55
Better post-em.

Quote: Originally Posted by dannyboy954
I've only been a homeowner for 2 years and I'm starting to think that renting is the way to go. I look at all the money and time I've put into the house and really don't think its worth it. Yeah the house is way nicer than it was when we bought it and luckily we're in an area that hasn't been hit by the economy, but I think I'd rather just let someone else do all the work. I'd rather pay an extra an $100 or two on rent and let someone else deal with the headaches and upgrades. I think at this point, I'd rather just save the money I blow on home improvements in the form of cash instead of dumping it into the house. No property taxes, homeowner insurance, etc, to deal with too.
yea my feelings right now. untill i get a job i like thats stable and in an area i like renting is the way for me. im not afraid of doing upgrades or having to fix things but dont have time now haha.

i am done with apartments though. rather have a rental house with a garage or a duplex with garage
Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #56
Waaaakkaaaa

Congrats Cory! Im putting in an offer on my first house tomorrow morning actually.

I get along great with my parents and don't need to move out just want to.

and renting in this area is retarded.

Also for the person asking about rates and down payments The USDA loan im getting requires $0 money down and rate is 3.99% At 1st i was going to get a FDA which required 3.5% down and the rate was 3.75% but the payment is like 150 more than an FDA
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #57

I probably won't move out for a while, mostly because I'm working my way through college, should have my associates in a year and then start on my batchelor's, I'm 20 btw and my older brother's doing the same thing

But i don't really feel the need to move out probably due to several reasons
1. I get along well with my parents, I do chores around the house and pay some bills, and they let me go out whenever
2. I dont have to do some chores like the laundry, so that gives me time to study and makes my life less stressful
3. We have a guest house with a pool table and mini bar and 2 beds where my friends and can party or have privacy whenever, this helps alot lol
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #58
Extended cab or no cab.

Quote: Originally Posted by dannyboy954
Those are some really good points.

I've only been here 3 days now but am loving it. It's really fun getting do to a lot of things my own way and have more range to put my own stuff in different rooms and stuff. I've always got along great with my brother so it's a lot of fun.

This is his house where I am now. He is 27, bought it 4 years ago for $190k and has had tons of improvements since then.

Garage pic taken tonight.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #59
Tech Mod

So ****ing jealous of that lawn....
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #60
scrapes speedbumps

Quote: Originally Posted by cpolaris502
Those are some really good points.

I've only been here 3 days now but am loving it. It's really fun getting do to a lot of things my own way and have more range to put my own stuff in different rooms and stuff. I've always got along great with my brother so it's a lot of fun.

This is his house where I am now. He is 27, bought it 4 years ago for $190k and has had tons of improvements since then.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #61
No longer a pizza tech.

id like to see pics of your brothers car not in the garage.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #62
Extended cab or no cab.

That can be arranged.

The yard took a lot of work when he first got it. It's coming in pretty nice now.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #63
Gaaoooooo

That was only $190k with that kind of lawn, **** me! That looks really nice dude congrats.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #64
PAGING DR. FAGGOT!

You young f*cks getting houses is really starting to motivate me to get my ass in gear. I think its time to sell the lifted truck and pay some shit down and get the ball rolling on being a grown-up.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #65

The best way to buy a house is a foreclosure. I picked mine up for 75k put close to 25k into it, remodeled the kitchen, laundry, both bathrooms, painted inside and out, did a patio, all new appliances, the only thing left is doors and carpet. Last time it sold for 130k without the upgrades. Neighbors house just sold for 125 so the economy hit it a little but my mortgage, insurance, etc. is cheaper than any decent place to rent by at least $200.

My dad does home improvement so I did all the work myself or with his help and the $7500 from the new home buyers was a nice gift to include in the 25k worth of upgrades! I could sell it under market value and still make 40k. The trick is knowing what to look for, and doing things yourself.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #66
Finally Bagged!!!

Dammit all to hell... i try my best not to envy someone else but damn! nice ass house!

I moved out of my ma's house when she started bitching about me paying rent...but wanting me to do all of the chores (I say all because she would get off work... fix her dinner go lay in bed and eat it and go to sleep...that is it... no exaggeration..) and wanting me to abide by curfew (10 pm) and do shit as she says... so i told her to shove it and left... went and lived with whom is now my wife.. which i'd only known for about a month... in her college apartment and stayed for a year... problem was it had to be secret because if the apartment folks had of found out me and the wife would have been kicked out and fined $1500 each... but we've since moved out of there, and am doing alot better....
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #67
Finally Bagged!!!

btw her house now for the past 5 years has looked like a house off the show hoarders... I hate it for her but i've got my own shit...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #68
Banned

cpolaris502, that house is gorgeous man! i dont live with my parents.... worst: i live with the inlaws now... am in the market for a house though!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #69
Negative 10

haha i lived with my inlaws. i hated it
Old 04-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #70
Banned

yea, it sucks. they are alright, but still it is not cool
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #71
Longbeds FTMFW

Quote: Originally Posted by The Griff
Learning to cook is one of the best things I've ever done. I've saved soo much money by cooking my own meals, it's rediculous. Get a grill and start there
this man!
I love cooking... it is kinda relaxing, and it is nice to expand my horizons..
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #72
Extended cab or no cab.

Just to clarify again. That is not MY house in the picture. My brother owns it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #73
It puts the lotion on

Your brother is a bauss
Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #74
resident crybaby

more pics of your brothers car damnit!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #75
Check your ground

He must have a badass riding lawnmower. Can you imagine cutting that shit with a push mower
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #76

Got married and moved out at 21. Filed for divorce and moved back temporarily at 23.

Quote: Originally Posted by Debonair
For those that bought their houses at 18-23, what % of the house did you put down?
My Parents gave me a 1-1/3 acre lot off their farm. I was going to build, but my wife at the time was in a rush and I was dumb enough to let her talk me into getting a $73k double wide. We used the land as collateral.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #77
Extended cab or no cab.

Lol, yeah a riding lawn mower. 1994 John Deere 425, same as my dad's. It rules.

Camaro Turbo Build Thread: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/th...-through-carb/

Camaro pictures

Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #78
Solid Axle MOD

Board, I'll add.

moved out at 19, stayed at a buddies for the winter kept his bills paid whilst he was in Jail that way he could come back to a house at least, then back to myrents in the spring @19.

Moved out again @ 20, 800 miles to Lansing MI, stayed with my cousin and his at that time fiance, jobless for 6 months, she hated me and the feeling was mutual, moved form there @ 20 lived with an Ex for a year then moved back to Lansing @ 21.

Then bounced around from Lansing MI to Lake Odessa MI to East Lansing MI between age 21-22 staying at friends & family houses since my roommates got me evicted one weekend.

Moved to Colorado @ 22 living with my Fiance and her mother. So essentially I live with my parents....
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #79

My pregnant gf and I just got our own place. Moving in this weekend. I can't wait. Not my first time moving out, though. I moved back home two years ago when my mom found out she had breast cancer. I took her to every chemo and radiation treatment, helped around house, with bills, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.