I remember when gas was .35 a gallon - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

I remember when gas was .35 a gallon

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #51
Vandelay Industries

User is: OffLine
Re: I remember when gas was .35 a gallon

We cleaned out some filing cabinets at work today. We found a stack of diesel fuel receipts from 2001. Diesel was $1.29. When I started driving in 1996 $1.09 bought you a gallon of premium, .89, and .99 for low and mid and when premium went to $1.19 we thought it was outrageous haha
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #52

Quote: Originally Posted by thebiggulp
in 1978 my first job paid, 1.70 per hour and paying .65 per gallon. Average House Income was 15,000 house I lived in was purchased fo 26,000

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK
I'm guessing your age is incorrect otherwise you were working a few years before being conceived?!

I caught that also.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #53
Solid Axle MOD

I just put in 5gal at 2.739 /gal. enough to get me through untill payday.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #54
It's mostly BS

Yeah I'm old and remember 23.9 cent gas in OK City in '72. Then the first gas shock hit in '73. My dad pulled into his regular AMOCO station where the price had "shot up" to 38 cents. He was so pissed he drove out looking for cheaper gas somewhere else.

For those interested, here is the history of gas prices adjusted for inflation:

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/i...tion_chart.htm
Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #55
I drive

Quote: Originally Posted by doored454
I can't really afford to drive my lifted truck because of gas prices, I throw $20 in it at a time and that's enough to get me to work and back about one time. I tried to fill it when I bought it but I cringed when it hit $100 and it only went to 3/4 of a tank...and lasted 3 or 4 days. I stopped paying attentions to the prices, I just throw $20 in it and pray it gets me where I need to go...takes about $50 a week to fill my audi with premium. Oh well. Here comes another summer I wont be driving the 454 more than 1000 miles....this is why I got another vw project haha.

i feel ya. i filled up my lifted suburban(86) the other day and it was $148 and some change...thats with 87 octane lol
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #56
retardicon

If the government really wanted to end this economic slump they could. But none of the fat cats wanna give up they're 354 days a year paid vacation. So we all get constantly screwed over. If they dropped the price of gas to $2 a gallon for a month the economy would boom instantly.. People could afford to go out and buy groceries and whatever and the stores wouldn't have to pay out the butt to get stuff shipped in.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #57
registered loser

ok, so where are "they" going to get the gas at a price lower than $2 a gallon to sell to you. "they" doesn't exist. there is no one person, organization, or company that sets the price. America is competing for oil and gas on the world market because they can't make enough of their own, and never will. it is expensive because demand is high and supply is low.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #58
No longer a pizza tech.

Quote: Originally Posted by worldwide
ok, so where are "they" going to get the gas at a price lower than $2 a gallon to sell to you. "they" doesn't exist. there is no one person, organization, or company that sets the price. America is competing for oil and gas on the world market because they can't make enough of their own, and never will. it is expensive because demand is high and supply is low.
You are so wrong. Supply is not low. Theres no reason that oil should be priced as high as it is, other than people HAVE to buy it. Trucks have to use it.

Its all speculators and govt man.

Oil companies are building more reserves to hold fuel, so they can wait until it goes up to sell it for more profit.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #59

User is: Online

Well prices have been going up all weekend, $5.40 a gallon her now
Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #60
Check your ground

America is competing for oil and gas on the world market because they can't make enough of their own, and never will. it is expensive because demand is high and supply is low.
You need to take an economics class.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #61
Trust Me

Quote: Originally Posted by 556mm
You need to take an economics class.
*Canadian.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #62
registered loser

umm.. prove me wrong.

especially you, 90blues10. show me some proof that the amount of oil being pulled out of the ground and refined into gasoline on a daily basis is significantly higher than the amount that is being burned by the world economy. supply is low, the total amount of oil being extracted from the earth has not been able to keep up with demand since at least 2005. for every new reserve found, one of the old reserves goes offline. world production peaked in 2005, but demand kept rising, therefore a run up in prices that indirectly caused the economic collapse of 2008. when the world economy starts to pick up again there will be a major run up in prices followed by another economic collapse. the remaining oil in the world will be sold to the highest bidder, most likely china. how can America afford to buy oil on the world markets anymore when they waste all of their money on wars and don't create anything of value to the rest of the world anymore. china has the manufacturing capacity, china has the money, they will buy the oil. end of story.

go ahead, ignore me, tell me i need to study economics. go bury your heads in the sand. you can choose to remain ignorant. no sweat off my back.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #63
No longer a pizza tech.

umm.. prove me wrong.

especially you, 90blues10. show me some proof that the amount of oil being pulled out of the ground and refined into gasoline on a daily basis is significantly higher than the amount that is being burned by the world economy. supply is low, the total amount of oil being extracted from the earth has not been able to keep up with demand since at least 2005. for every new reserve found, one of the old reserves goes offline. world production peaked in 2005, but demand kept rising, therefore a run up in prices that indirectly caused the economic collapse of 2008. when the world economy starts to pick up again there will be a major run up in prices followed by another economic collapse. the remaining oil in the world will be sold to the highest bidder, most likely china. how can America afford to buy oil on the world markets anymore when they waste all of their money on wars and don't create anything of value to the rest of the world anymore. china has the manufacturing capacity, china has the money, they will buy the oil. end of story.

go ahead, ignore me, tell me i need to study economics. go bury your heads in the sand. you can choose to remain ignorant. no sweat off my back.
Shit dude, you know more than i do. Sorry i ever brought it up.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #64
It's a trap!

Thanks for the laugh
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #65

Try OPEC!!!!! They are the grand regulators of supply. The price is directly determined by them & what ever reason they decide to screw over the US consumer this month. The remainder is the futures market where the last price increase wrecked havoc last year along with whatever natural disaster they can blame it on this season.

Still, our price of gas is still un-naturally low compared to the rest of the civilized world. I have lived thru 2 energy shortages along with the annual changes of prices due to anything from the Exxon Valdez to the BP oil rig failures. Now we have Iran screwing us over and China sucking up as much petroleum as they can get.

So, is there no ONE bad guy, but a very few that affect the price for their own good. We are way too dependant on their oil & not enough on alternative fuels. Look at Brazil. They are not petroleum dependant. They run a lot of LPG & alcohol fuels. If the oil companies were willing, we could be too and they could still make the money, just from a different product source that they have now.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #66
"Stroke Me"

I started driving in 2008. It was when gas was about $4.50 a gallon. I was driving a V8 S10, costing me about $200-$250 a week in gas. It definitely killed me.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #67
registered loser

Sure Opec ultimately has the power to set the price for the oil supplies that they control. They also know that their supplies won't last forever. They have no incentive to sell it all off as fast as possible to the lowest bidder. The oil coming out of the ground in Canada is not controlled by Opec, but it costs big bucks to extract it. The days of gushing oil wells in Texas are over. Last I checked it needs to be priced above $80 to be profitable. When it is profitable to do shale extraction in the Us that will happen too. Those reserves are not as large as some people think though and they won't last forever. Even Saudi Arabia is starting to do deep water offshore drilling. That's big money. Why would they do that if their onshore reserves were still plentiful. This will end up being the defining issue of my generation. I'm always suprised by how much misinformation is spread on the topic. They should be teaching this in high school.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #68
Suicided Member

All I want to have someone explain to me is how the gas station up the street can charge 3.65 yesterday, and then today it's 3.79, and they had no delivery. So the gas that is being sold is the same gas the was in the main tanks yesterday at 3.65. Last year before leaving for vacation I got hit with about the same thing. Gas went up almost .12 overnight and I asked the guy why. They said there was a storm heading into the gulf (mind you it hadn't even hit at this point), and gas was costing them more (again, same gas as the day before).

In April of 08 crude was 118 and gas was 3.50, today crude is 107, and gas is 3.79, please explain that. Not much dif in price I know, but if your raw material is cheaper, shouldn't the end product be cheaper?

I drive anywhere from 100-300+ miles a day, and have to fill up just about every other day with my 4cyl Ranger. Putting close to 1600 a month into my tank just to get to work and back. Now they say that gas will be over 5.00 by summer, ughhhhhhhh!

I know allot of it is state and federal tax, but come on man.

Sorry for the rant. Back to topic I remember in high school when I could fill up my dime for the week, take my girl to a movie and diner, and have plenty of spending money with a 20 in my wallet.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #69
No longer a pizza tech.

Lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #70
I AM CANADIAN

Quote: Originally Posted by AWD V8
$1.38.8 a liter this morning, = $5.24 a gallon, in Surrey, BC
I just bought gas in the states this morning, a 20 minute drive, $3.73
$1.25/L here in Ontario (4.73/gal.)

its always more out west.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #71

User is: Online

$7.34 a gal. in Alaska

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #72
LS3 - T56 coming SOON !

gas in Venezula is .12 cent's a gallon ....................FRACK.........i'm moving down there !

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2011...hike-venezuela
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #73

ive been thinking would the price of gas be lower if we got rid of mid grade . really the modern computer controlled engine will adjust on the fly. that would be less ppl , less tanks in the ground , etc . i know some person is going to live by the i have to have . i run 87 in everything i own toyota, 87 chevy ,2001 chevy, 89 olds ,stihl chainsaw, snapper mower, craftsman weed eater and my ducati with no issue .
Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #74

Quote: Originally Posted by ExtremeVI
All I want to have someone explain to me is how the gas station up the street can charge 3.65 yesterday, and then today it's 3.79, and they had no delivery. So the gas that is being sold is the same gas the was in the main tanks yesterday at 3.65. Last year before leaving for vacation I got hit with about the same thing. Gas went up almost .12 overnight and I asked the guy why. They said there was a storm heading into the gulf (mind you it hadn't even hit at this point), and gas was costing them more (again, same gas as the day before).

In April of 08 crude was 118 and gas was 3.50, today crude is 107, and gas is 3.79, please explain that. Not much dif in price I know, but if your raw material is cheaper, shouldn't the end product be cheaper?

I drive anywhere from 100-300+ miles a day, and have to fill up just about every other day with my 4cyl Ranger. Putting close to 1600 a month into my tank just to get to work and back. Now they say that gas will be over 5.00 by summer, ughhhhhhhh!

I know allot of it is state and federal tax, but come on man.

Sorry for the rant. Back to topic I remember in high school when I could fill up my dime for the week, take my girl to a movie and diner, and have plenty of spending money with a 20 in my wallet.
ya dude it went from 3.39 to 3.99 within a day here. and that was every single gas station, i dont understand that shit
and i dont really see a reason for midgrade anymore. everything either uses regular or premium pretty much
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #75
registered loser

midgrade is just a 50% mix of regular and premium... it is mixed on the way up, there is no separate tank.

also stations price their gas based on the current price to replenish their supplies when the price is on its way up. of course they price it based on what they paid when the price is going down
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #76

I am sorry but your information on "mid grade" blending is off. The gasoline is refined and additives are added at the refinery to get the necessary octane ratings needed. It is not "mixed " at the station. My dad was a Director of maintenance for 30 years at a Los Angeles refinery and we learned a whole lot of stuff from visits to the refinery. Read on Wikipedia about gasoline and you will see.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #77

I love the people that come in to the shop pissed off because their Denali only gets 11 mpg & I have to do something to get them better milage. I show them to a salesman. Their car gets the same mpg as the day they bought it, but now there is a problem. They need to preach to a different choir. My wife uses a tank of gas a day in her Lacrosse, again the same as the day she bought it. So, $500/wk for gas in my house is a hard hit for me, but we have jobs to do.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #78
retardicon

^ this. We get customers complaining about poor mpgs all the time. A guy brought a 07 silverado classic in the other day complaining that he was only getting 20mpgs out of it. I asks what the problem was and he said it should get better than that... Hmmm a crew cab truck with a big v8 and he's complaining he's only getting 20mpgs... My single cab v6 s10 gets 17... On a good day.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #79
Slowly but eventually

Quote: Originally Posted by S10dude
gas in Venezula is .12 cent's a gallon ....................FRACK.........i'm moving down there !

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2011...hike-venezuela

Its gone up, it used to be about .10 a gallon when I lived there 10 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.