Guitars thread. - Page 4 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Guitars thread.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #151

User is: OffLine
Re: Guitars thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by goddspring
I know not everyone will like the look, but each to their own.
Who cares what it looks like as long as it plays well enough for the owner? Look at Willy Nelson's guitar, a huge hole in it and he still uses it when he does concerts. Like you said to each his own.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #152

Rick Nielsen came to mind when I saw the headstock.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #153

No pictures at the moment, but i have a ibanez sa wbr160, a ibanez GIO (gibson sg style) a epiphone acoustic, and a samack Pbass that i'm completely rebuilding.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #154

oh so pretty, yet i barely play them
Old 02-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #155

I like that Gio.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #156

its a nice guitar, only issue with it is the enamel is cracked in 2 places on the body.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #157

How's that motorcycle?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #158

Gets better fuel mileage then the noma lol Most reliable harley i've seen...
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #159

Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #160

built it myself too lol custom stickers makes it go faster too
Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #161

Quote: Originally Posted by mostizzle
You can always pop a pick up in it too.
It is an electric acoustic. Got a fishman system in it. Sounds pretty good.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #162

Oh, cool!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #163

This is my first attempt at "building" an electric. The body has to be the cheapest Fender knock-off ever known, it was a "Starcaster" that was built by Fender to be sold in stores like Costco for 100 bucks or so. It's made of agathis, which I believe to be a very common/cheap wood found in the Far East/Asia. As far as tone, well, it sure isn't ash or alder.

I bought a neck from Mighty Mite, put a Strat waterslide decal on the headstock and finished the neck in Re-Ranch tint. Tuners are the stock units that cam with the Starcaster. The pickups are GuitarFetish double humbuckers (and the trem too), Tele knobs and chrome pickguard. I'm sure this one doesn't appeal to too many, but I thought it would be cool to build. Sorry for the crappy pic. I'll get some better shots now that I've moved all my gear into the spare bedroom.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #164

Nice.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #165

Nice.
Thanks, it's got those green neon strings on it though they don't show up in the pic very well. I'm not too crazy about 'em, they sound good, but I can't get past the thick coating on them. No peeling yet though.

I found this in a pawn shop for 75 bucks. It's an Ibanez copy, bolt-on neck. I've never played a real 4001 so I don't really know how close to the real deal it is, but it sure plays good! That's an aftermarket bridge/tailpiece, the original had pulled away from the body from string tension. That cost more than I paid for the whole guitar, but well worth it.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #166

Ahh the lawsuit Rick. I've seen those go for 6-700 bucks give or take.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #167

Ahh the lawsuit Rick. I've seen those go for 6-700 bucks give or take.
Yeah, I hear the Ric guys don't like seeing these around. Can't say as I'd blame 'em since I'd love to have a real Ric myself.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #168

Believe it or not I know of a few guys that have gotten Ibanez and/or Univox copies and then sold their Rics because they preferred the copies. I've owned a lot of nice basses but never a Ric. One day.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #169

Believe it or not I know of a few guys that have gotten Ibanez and/or Univox copies and then sold their Rics because they preferred the copies. I've owned a lot of nice basses but never a Ric. One day.
Found this today

Not bad!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #170

That's pretty good.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #171
Trust Me

Rickenbacker FTMFW
Old 04-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #172

Hope y'all don't mind amp pics in a guitar thread... it is a guitar amp..

This is an old Ampeg VT-22 c.1971 I think. My bass player (RIP Bob Crosby) brought it by one day, asking if I could do anything with it. Absolutely, as soon as I can get to it. Well, I was too late.

This amp was a disaster. Dirt, missing speaker (the one there is blown anyway), rat turds, bugs, etc. The good news was it's electronics were intact, and using a Variac and a homemade dummy load, got it up and running.

I cleaned up the chassis and cab. The grillecloth was bad too but I stopped at replacing it. I thought the rips and tears added character. If these amps could talk, they'd have some stories to tell. The grillecloth is now clean, took a lot of MeanGreen to get the crud out.

Printed up new manuals, ads and tags, just for fun.

More cleaning, "new" nos RCA black plate 7027As, and a few other tubes that needed replacing, new 3 prong power cord, new speaker to chassis cable, new Celestion GT75 12" speakers. These GT12s aren't my first choice in speaker, but your options narrow when the amp's output is 120W.

Much better

Knew those tags would come in handy..

120W, 88lbs on casters (thank god) 4x7027A output tubes. This amp is the loudest, cleanest amp I've ever played through. So much headroom your head will split open before you can get it break up. Very pedal friendly though, a TS-808 works great with it. I still have it, guess it's mine now.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #173

Damn that's a nice job! Want to do my old Gibson?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #174

That's awesome.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #175

Damn that's a nice job! Want to do my old Gibson?
If we lived in the same town, maybe, then you could come by and give me a kick in the ass for motivation every now and then Took me 3 years to get around to that Ampeg!

If that's the Gibson amp in your post above, you've got nice little amp there. I've never owned a Gibson. I've seen a few, but everybody knows what they have these days. It's a lot harder to find a good deal on vintage gear.

I saw a '68 Silverface Bassman head in a MusicGoRound once, it was marked a 1973 for 300 bucks. That wasn't a killer deal, but I bought it because it was a '68 model with the "driprail" They didn't know what they had, but I did tell 'em as I was walking out the door with it.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #176

That's awesome.
Thanks man. It's too clean for me (and too damn heavy). It's got a buyer though; he loves the clean sound. I've got 2 Bassmans, and I'll take those to the grave!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #177

Very nice Steve. I have dreams of doing over this old Victor 1 x12 cab and buying a Epi Valve Jr to power it with.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #178

Quote: Originally Posted by 01XtremeS10
Very nice Steve. I have dreams of doing over this old Victor 1 x12 cab and buying a Epi Valve Jr to power it with.

That's a nice cab and a great idea with the Epi chassis. If it were mine I'd make only the necessary mods to get the chassis in there and a speaker of your choice, and leave that cab looking exactly the way it does in that pic. Maybe fit a grillcloth behind the Victor to protect the speaker. I did a Google image search and that amp/cab doesn't turn up much. To me that makes it even cooler.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #179

Quote: Originally Posted by Steve02
leave that cab looking exactly the way it does in that pic.

^^^^This...that is character built in.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #180

If we lived in the same town, maybe, then you could come by and give me a kick in the ass for motivation every now and then Took me 3 years to get around to that Ampeg!

If that's the Gibson amp in your post above, you've got nice little amp there. I've never owned a Gibson. I've seen a few, but everybody knows what they have these days. It's a lot harder to find a good deal on vintage gear.

I saw a '68 Silverface Bassman head in a MusicGoRound once, it was marked a 1973 for 300 bucks. That wasn't a killer deal, but I bought it because it was a '68 model with the "driprail" They didn't know what they had, but I did tell 'em as I was walking out the door with it.
Yeah the Gibson amp. I don't know much about it,but it was free so I cannot complain.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #181

Yeah the Gibson amp. I don't know much about it,but it was free so I cannot complain.
Looks like the Tolex covering would be the biggest challenge on your Gibson, looking at the pics anyway. There are websites that describe the process in detail, one being this guy's:
http://guitarkitbuilder.com/how-appl...ifier-cabinet/
I've known Casey for years and I followed his instructions in doing this homebuilt 4x10 cab. I use it with a Bassman head.

I got the supplies/parts from here:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/products...h_tolex_piping

The original knobs on your Gibson almost look like Fender knobs. You may be able to find some to replace the ones that are missing, the web/ebay is a good place to start.

If you do decide to tackle it yourself I'd be happy to offer any help along the way. To me, the most critical part was laying the Tolex on the cab after applying the contact cement. You gotta get it right the first time.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #182

Screw you Steve, and all your cool shit.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #183

Screw you Steve, and all your cool shit.
I have been quite the gear whore haven't I

I think that's about it for cool stuff though..

I do have a tele-shaped guitar that's not a Tele at all, or is it

Schecter PT Custom.. Gibson scale, tune-o-matic bridge, archtop and humbuckers. I feel like I should be wearing a tux when I play this thing, a little too much bling, but I couldn't pass it up.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #184

That's a nice cab and a great idea with the Epi chassis. If it were mine I'd make only the necessary mods to get the chassis in there and a speaker of your choice, and leave that cab looking exactly the way it does in that pic. Maybe fit a grillcloth behind the Victor to protect the speaker. I did a Google image search and that amp/cab doesn't turn up much. To me that makes it even cooler.
No No, I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to fit the Valve Jr in that cab, I don't want to cut this cab up at all. That is the head I thought would be perfect for it and the right size to sit on top was all I was saying.

As far as recovering it, I am on the fence about it. Its got some pretty good tears /rips in it, but I here you on the character. It's actually missing the front panel that is supposed to cover the speaker/emblem when not in use, which is why there was never grill cloth in it.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #185

Quote: Originally Posted by 01XtremeS10
No No, I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to fit the Valve Jr in that cab, I don't want to cut this cab up at all. That is the head I thought would be perfect for it and the right size to sit on top was all I was saying.

As far as recovering it, I am on the fence about it. Its got some pretty good tears /rips in it, but I here you on the character. It's actually missing the front panel that is supposed to cover the speaker/emblem when not in use, which is why there was never grill cloth in it.
Gotcha, I understand now, and I agree a Valve Jr. head would be perfect. 5W into a 10 or 12" is a great combination. Lot of bottom with a 12".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.