Cornwell Vs Matco Vs Snapon - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Cornwell Vs Matco Vs Snapon

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
square body newbie

User is: OffLine
Cornwell Vs Matco Vs Snapon

Ok, i know EVERYONE loves nsapon. I just started a mechanic job, and all i have are my Craftsman stuff. I dont have nearly enough tools to get my work done everyday, having to borrow stuff from people.

All three of the trucks that coem to my job, have dealers who are really good. But, my question is, which should i start buying? Obviously, snap on is awsome, but over priced. Matco looks good, but is just a tad cheaper.

I dont know much about Cornwell, but they are generally about half the cost of Snap On.

What does everyone think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Roadrunner=Chicken

Re: Cornwell Vs Matco Vs Snapon

Shop for what you need through all of them and pick what is cheapest or how it feels in your hand. They are all quality but will have a different feel. Comfort should deff. be an option.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #3

Yo man if im right blue point is part of snap on and matco is part of mac tools. Let me ask you the one question...lets say your working a sunday...break a tool man then you have to wait for the parts guy right wronge you have craftsman you can go return it on a sunday...its helped me many times....just saying i give respect to craftsman. My dads work tool box is filled with pry over 40,000 worth of mac, snap on, blue point etc etc...and all the tools i use at home are craftsman which works awsome for me
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
This season SUCKS.

Craftsman FTW.... Which reminds me, I need to get that 15mm wrench replaced.... lol
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #5

I don't like Cornwell tools, in this case you definatly get what you pay for. I used Cornwell tools when I was an RV Tech they just didn't up under the "abuses" of professional use.

Craftsman tools are great for the home garage mechanic (we'll see if that changes now that Sears is owned by K-Mart) and ever since MAC tools was bought by Stanley they haven't been worth the money either. Snap-on are the tools to have in my opinion but if you can't afford them, then go with Matco and just buy what you can when you can.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #6

stanley bought out mac tools?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
I drive

ive never used cornwell. snap on are great tools but a bit price,unless you have a truck that come by work..then you can pay off the tools lol. 90% of my tools are matco tho,because of the price and the fact that are truck guy is cool as shit and give us some badass deals. he comes by every friday and we usually pick up more lol,and he replaces anything we need..and he hooks us up with free consumable for the plasma ha.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
I drive

Quote: Originally Posted by Drewchillin

yessir
Old 04-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #9

damn weak shit
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
I drive

i love the stanleys i got lol..they were actually the first tools i bought and have only broke may be 2 sockets...because i used them on an impact haha
Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Drewchillin
Almost 30 years ago... making them part of the same company that produces Proto and Blackhawk tools
Old 04-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
02 shortbed owner

i tend to pick through each truck that comes by, like i but my otc stuff from cornwell that snap on is charging more for. i tend to shop them all on quality and price.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #13

weld up guys
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
square body newbie

see...thats my problem... is i have never used anything other than craftsman, and its time to revamp my stuff....

how do i choose if i have never used...
Old 04-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #15

snap on ftw
Old 04-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
PAGING DR. FAGGOT!

All of my shit is from Matco. It's the same quality as Snap-On but a little bit cheaper. Matco ratchets are alot nicer IMO. The only thing I would buy from Snap-On is their ratchet wrenches. I don't buy shit anymore though because I don't work at a garage now.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #17
Spark Plugs Are Overrated

I own alot of Craftsman, Matco, Snap-on, Cornwell, Stanley, Mac, Jonesway, Proto, Allen, Gearwrench, IR, Kobalt, etc. and most all of them are quality parts and used (not abused) like they are intended to be used will do there job as expected. Like said above Snap-on is good but I won't buy them just because of the price and the Snap-on man around here is a Dick as is the Matco guy, so I buy alot of Cornwell tools and have never had any trouble with any of them.

My parents bought me a set of Stanley 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sockets/ratchets, etc about 20 years ago, Not one tool from that set has broken and I use them on my IR 1/2 cordless impact daily, so you really can't ever tell since those tools are lifetime warrantied Walmart tools.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
**** you

Personally, id go with whatevers cheapest if you are worried about the cost. I have mostly craftsman tools, But i have a husky 1/2" torque wrench wich is great..a snap on socket set, snap on electric impact wrench, drop light, and a few other misc. things from them. I also have a matco air impact, and a Mac air impact. both are great. At work my boss had an old craftsman 1/2" impact he let me use and it really didnt do shit. I had a walmart impact sitting in my tool box that was basically the eaxact same thing.

I still have some more tools to buy myself. My plan is to go craftsman on my hand tools, wrenches, sockets, etc.. and Possibly a higher end company for my ratchets.. because i do have a few messed up craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets laying around. So maybe go snap on, mac or matco for the ratchets. And for air tools, go with something like ingersoll-rand. They make a great impact wrench and generally are cheaper than the mac or snapons.

I still use impact sockets from a store down the street called metro tool, which is basically a harbor freight.. And those things have been great.. I also have a few ratchets, and 3/8s deep sockets from them. Never had any issues with any of them. But i really dont use those ratchets too much.

My personal opinion is that with wrenches and sockets, as long as its a good quality, and its strong and wont bend or break on you, it really doesnt matter what brand it is.. I have a set of wrenches i bought at advance auto years ago, for something like $20 or $40, and they have never failed me. But With things like ratchets, ratchet wrenches, you definitely want to go higher quality to avoid the busted knuckle factor. Ive broken wayyyyy too many ratchets to cheap out on them anymore. its so agrivating every time you pick up a ratchet, go to back off a nut or bolt, and the thing starts skipping.

with craftsman, if you use their hand tools as they are intended to be used (ie dont use regular sockets as impact sockets) you should be fine. You probably WONT break one of their sockets just by using it on an impact wrench, But ive done it.. it happens.

The one thing i will say about snap on, is that they have alot of speicalized tools that you wont find at sears or home depot.

Last edited by AssDragginSdime; 04-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #19

all make great tools, i prefer snap on IMO. specialized tools make life easier and the only problem ive ever had with any snap on tool is that the torx head on one of my torx T handles twisted. got replaced the same day no prob.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
former title junky mod

Snap on, Matco, Cornwell and craftsman are all crap IMO, and I wouldnt use them if they were free. I prefer harbor freight brand tools. Occasionally I will buy Popular mechanics though.... Not as good as the HF, but still great tools.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #21
Spark Plugs Are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by Futuresweets10
Snap on, Matco, Cornwell and craftsman are all crap IMO, and I wouldnt use them if they were free. I prefer harbor freight brand tools. Occasionally I will buy Popular mechanics though.... Not as good as the HF, but still great tools.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
former title junky mod

Quote: Originally Posted by DieselS10
Figured someone would get a laugh off of that. Sad thing is that someone will read it and take it seriously and then proceed to type up a lengthy argument telling me why in wrong.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
This season SUCKS.

Quote: Originally Posted by Futuresweets10
The disturbing part is, I'm intending to buy a Crescent toolkit soon, just for something to have behind the seat of the truck... I was using one of their sets just as hard as I would my Craftsman, and they never gave me any problems.

One kinda like this.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
**** you

a guy i worked with had that same crescent set he would bring in when we needed tools to remove parts before welding. Worked fine, Never had any issues with it.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
Dime Freightlines

I like all three for various things. Matco is owned by danaher who also makes most most of the craftsman line, if you look at craftsman professional grade full polish tools you will notice they look strikingly similar to Matco tools. If I was looking to upgrade my wrenches while working with a budget I would get the full polish professional cman wrenches. In my experience snap-on makes the best ratchets (the 80 tooth models kick ass) but I have to say the 60 tooth Matco's are a close second. My sockets are a mix of all three and I especially like the thin wall on the cornwell 3/8" drive deep sockets that I have. The best advice is to get on each truck and handle what ever you are looking from each and to decide what is best for you. All 3 brands are of a quality that you wont be breaking them with out severely abusing them so user preference is the biggest consideration.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #26

edit: 99jimmy2d beat me to it.. though he left out napa hand tools..

Last edited by twistedxknights; 04-05-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #27
Trailors Are For Boats!

Quote: Originally Posted by AssDragginSdime
Personally, id go with whatevers cheapest if you are worried about the cost. I have mostly craftsman tools, But i have a husky 1/2" torque wrench wich is great..a snap on socket set, snap on electric impact wrench, drop light, and a few other misc. things from them. I also have a matco air impact, and a Mac air impact. both are great. At work my boss had an old craftsman 1/2" impact he let me use and it really didnt do shit. I had a walmart impact sitting in my tool box that was basically the eaxact same thing.

I still have some more tools to buy myself. My plan is to go craftsman on my hand tools, wrenches, sockets, etc.. and Possibly a higher end company for my ratchets.. because i do have a few messed up craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets laying around. So maybe go snap on, mac or matco for the ratchets. And for air tools, go with something like ingersoll-rand. They make a great impact wrench and generally are cheaper than the mac or snapons.

I still use impact sockets from a store down the street called metro tool, which is basically a harbor freight.. And those things have been great.. I also have a few ratchets, and 3/8s deep sockets from them. Never had any issues with any of them. But i really dont use those ratchets too much.

My personal opinion is that with wrenches and sockets, as long as its a good quality, and its strong and wont bend or break on you, it really doesnt matter what brand it is.. I have a set of wrenches i bought at advance auto years ago, for something like $20 or $40, and they have never failed me. But With things like ratchets, ratchet wrenches, you definitely want to go higher quality to avoid the busted knuckle factor. Ive broken wayyyyy too many ratchets to cheap out on them anymore. its so agrivating every time you pick up a ratchet, go to back off a nut or bolt, and the thing starts skipping.

with craftsman, if you use their hand tools as they are intended to be used (ie dont use regular sockets as impact sockets) you should be fine. You probably WONT break one of their sockets just by using it on an impact wrench, But ive done it.. it happens.

The one thing i will say about snap on, is that they have alot of speicalized tools that you wont find at sears or home depot.
you, sir, make the longest posts ever. haha. not bashing but everytime i see your avatar its like a mini novel! haha

ok carry on. sorry
Old 04-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
Holy hangover Batman!!!

The shop I used to work at used Snap on almost exclusively. The only exceptions where tools that other mechanics brought in themselves. I like snap on and craftsman. Nothing beats a well made ratchet in my book. I cannot stand those cheapo ratchets that have all that play in them making it hard to ratchet them in tight spaces.

Also lifetime replacements is a really good thing..
Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
**** you

Quote: Originally Posted by PunkDime99
you, sir, make the longest posts ever. haha. not bashing but everytime i see your avatar its like a mini novel! haha

ok carry on. sorry

lol yea i do tend to ramble.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #30
now XTREME

i own more matco tools than i do snapon.... but snap on boxes FTMFW

get what ever u can afford man
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
square body newbie

gahh... i just dont know what to do. Lol.
cornwell has great prices.. but no one seems to have any review on them. Snap on, is well, snap on. Matco is right in the middle.

'I have a box full of craftsman, that hasnt been a problem for me yet, but i know there is a bunch of stuff i need to buy now and i dont know weather to keep going with craftsman or step up to pro grade
Old 04-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #32
Dey took rrr jobs!!

The other bodyman i worked with had alot of craftsman and he just took most of them home, and pretty much built up a new set at work. i wish i had tools at my house, all mine are at work and whenever i do have a project at home i'll forgot to bring em home or need a tool i didnt bring.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #33
Dey took rrr jobs!!

I'll tell you what though the most handiest tool, for me at least is the cordless 3/8 impact, matco had and older version which i had for a few yrs now but they got a new one out alot smaller and has a lithium ion battery. they got a air ratchet thats battery powered too. im not sure whether to get that or not. I dont know what its like at yalls shop but hoses can be hard to get sometimes and getting away with not using a hose really speeds things up when it comes to hanging up a car or tearin down.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #34
whore turned lurker

Quote: Originally Posted by Derek1387
gahh... i just dont know what to do. Lol.
cornwell has great prices.. but no one seems to have any review on them. Snap on, is well, snap on. Matco is right in the middle.

'I have a box full of craftsman, that hasnt been a problem for me yet, but i know there is a bunch of stuff i need to buy now and i dont know weather to keep going with craftsman or step up to pro grade
buy whatever tools you borrow the next time the truck comes by. also when you break something thats craftsman,get it replaced by sears but also buy a higher quality version of that tool from the tool truck and take the new craftsman stuff home. also try not to have a balance on anymore than two trucks.

i'm real hard on stuff too,like i've broken three snap-on ratchets and several sockets but i've never broken a matco tool

Last edited by dimerunner88; 04-05-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #35

i have all craftsman tools i use everyday, also have a set of matco silverstar torx and hex set, and im getting a bulepoint roll cart and snap-on toolbox, put for handtools i think im just going to stick with craftsman never had any problems with them
Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #36

I was in the GM ASEP program before I got in an accident which ends your career. Don't know why nobody mentioned them in this thread but all the tools they had all the students buy were NAPA Professional. Love 'em to death good stuff and if they break I just go over there anytime I want and they'll replace them. Only a few specialized tools weren't from NAPA. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #37
Dime Freightlines

Quote: Originally Posted by skfury440
I was in the GM ASEP program before I got in an accident which ends your career. Don't know why nobody mentioned them in this thread but all the tools they had all the students buy were NAPA Professional. Love 'em to death good stuff and if they break I just go over there anytime I want and they'll replace them. Only a few specialized tools weren't from NAPA. Just my 2 cents.
Like twistedxknights hinted at above the NAPA pro tools are made by Danaher and are very similar to the Cman pro tools, Matco, Armstrong and others.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #38
whore turned lurker

Quote: Originally Posted by skfury440
75% of my tools are the napa professional line,like said above, its made by danaher
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #39
Dime Freightlines

I would also recommend Knipex for pliers, they are German made (so you know its good stuff ) but really they are excellent and are sold rebadged by many of the truck brands, channellock is still American made and close in quality to Knipex as well although they don't offer some of the more niffty tools like plier wrenches.

Last edited by 99Jimmy2D; 04-05-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #40

My bad. Needa read more thoroughly.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #41

Im a mechanic and the only two dealers that come to my job are snapon and mac when I started I got one of the bigger craftsman sets and a few pliers and screwdriver sets than got snap on wrenches ratchets and air tools along with some other stuff. I have some mac, a couple matco things and a bunch of stuff from harbor freight. Snap on is definately worth the money for most things. also mac matco and cornwell might not be at your next job where snapon goes almost everywhere. but just remember you get what you pay for.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #42
Will work for turbo parts

+1 on the Knipex. I have a ginormous set of snapon branded cobra pliers from them, and the things I have removed with it are ridiculous.

I have a mixed collection of tools from Craftsman, Matco, and Snap-On. Most things that are comparable quality; however, there are some differences you notice after a while using them. I have both a master set of taps and dies from Matco and Snap-on (From when I had a set of tools at home/work), and I found that the Snap-On taps break easier, but left a nicer cut. The Snap-On sockets are a lot thinner walled than the Craftsman sockets, and still hold up as well. The Craftsman ones would spit the side if you hammered them onto a bolt. The Matco open end wrenches flex really bad, and the craftsman ones just break the jaw off. I really liked the Snap-On ones since they were longer, and got a better grip than either of the other ones. The biggest problem I had with Matco tools was our salesman would only show up when it was convenient for him (Which happened to be like once every other month).

Keep in mind if you go into a Sears store to replace tools with your work uniform on, Craftsman tools are "Commercial grade for the home user" Commercial usage will void the warranty. They used to be pretty good (Like the time they warriented my 12MM socket that got crushed in a 80 ton press), but they are getting picky now.

About the best advice I have ever gotten is on screws. Get a good screwdriver with a hard blade, and if you got one that is pretty stripped out, put some valve grinding compound in the hole then smack the screwdriver good with a hammer. Then with some good downward pressure, it will still come out. I've had customers bring a lot of stripped out screws like on carburators, and I bring it into the shop and pull it out while they were watching, and they get that really confused look on their face.

I have never owned any Mac tools.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #43
square body newbie

Well, i think I may just go with Matco. Soudns like a happy medium.

How is there starter brand, Silver Eagle? Also, Blue Point?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #44
S-series abuser

What I use is a collection of snap on, matco, and mac. A few things are off brands but not many. My biggest piece of advice as said above is be careful when buying specialty tools, alot of the big names sell products that are nearly identical or identical to a cheaper brand. I know alot of my snap on specialty stuff looks identical to say OTC's version but with a higher price tag.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #45
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Blue point seems to be the same as Snap-On IMO. My buddy at school has a set of their wrenches and they feel the same as the Snap-On ones. Don't rule out Mac tools though... They have a couple nice products such as long ass extensions that are locking and that have a knurled section on them.

All in all, buy the tools that you think you will like and enjoy working with, forget about everyone's opinions but your own. I love my Craftsman professional screwdrivers that I picked up for like $40 on sale, and they feel and look the exact same as Snap-On ones.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #46

nothing wrong with cornwell,,some chraftsman stuff is ok i HATE their ratchets,,,i only use snap-on ratchets pricey but good
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #47
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Don't buy GearWrench ratchets. I made the mistake of that along with getting the double jointed needle nose pliers. The ratchets are quick ratio, not as good as Snap-On, but if you turn too fast the lever will flip the opposite way and if you want to tighten it would go into loosening. The pliers are nice for spark plug wires though. I'm gonna save up for Mac ratchets after I buy a couple other things, they are quick ratio like Snap-Ons and they have a quick release button, when your hands get really greasy and oily, taking a socket off of a ratchet can be a pain.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #48
Will work for turbo parts

The GearWrench ratchets or the ratcheting wrenches? I have the set of angled reversible combination wrenches, and love them. As long as you don't break stuff loose or drop them in the pan of gasoline, they work great!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #49
This season SUCKS.

I've never had a problem with my GearWrenches, I guess I'm just not fast enough to make that happen.... lol

If I'm using the GWs, it's usually because I don't want to fumble in a tight area trying to get the box end back over the bolt. So, not moving too fast, anyway.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #50
whore turned lurker

Quote: Originally Posted by King_Ice_Flash2
The GearWrench ratchets or the ratcheting wrenches? I have the set of angled reversible combination wrenches, and love them. As long as you don't break stuff loose or drop them in the pan of gasoline, they work great!
i use mine for whatever, i like breaking them(not on purpose) so i get shiny new wrenches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.