A shady deal? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

A shady deal?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
A shady deal?

What do you guys think of this deal? I posted my truck on craigslist for sale. I got a text response (i asked for texts) from a guy who is out of town. (i searched his # its from ohio) He said he cant see the truck in person so he asked me to list all the problems, so i did. He says great. I told him someone was supposed to look at the truck today, and id let him know if they didnt buy it. So i let him know the sale didn't happen. He wants my e-mail address so he can send me the $4,200 on paypal, and my address so a shipping company can come pick it up. I doubt this guy is legit, but im trying to figure out how i can loose in this situation. It seems like the only guy that can be cheated here is the buyer. But im still hesitant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
RaNdOm UsEr

Re: A shady deal?

scam.. move along to the next... you dont wanna give a shady guy any personal info.. could bite you in the as* later
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Registered Hoosier

from cl
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

I didn't know anybody actually read that stuff. lol. I asked the guy why he would buy the truck sight unseen from someone he doesnt know. He hasnt replied in the last hour.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

The potential headaches that could come from a deal like that are not worth the trouble. I would never do it.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
goin broke but n style

the issue here is he is "supposed" to deposit money in your paypal, the issue is it never clears.

everytime i put a car for sale on CL i get these.

I always spell out my number and it helps to weed these scam outs.

ex: i once put my 88 camaro on CL. had it listed for $2500, guy/computer e-mails me about more pics and info on car, i send requested info. he comes back and says he wants the car. i said cool, when can we meet, he says he will send trucking co out to pick car up, i said no thanks, only deal in person. he said it was all good and he would give me $5k for the problem and for me to pay the driver, i said no, he then offered like 6k or so. i saod ok i will do that, than he wanted my info, so i gave him bogus info. he came back and said the trucking co couldn't locate address, i said well i get mail here everyday. than he wanted me to take it to a business in my town, i said it didn't run, it ws a project. nvr heard back.

DO NOT DO IT.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Better post-em.

any deal that involves one of the 5 things is 99.9% of the time a scam:

1: buying sight unseen
2: offering more cash than what your selling it for
3: involving a shipping company
4: my personal one is using pay pal to buy a vehicle
5: persistent on wanting any info from you (address, email, etc)

most scams ive seen fall into usually all of them.

trust your gut - if it sounds weird; its a scam - you came and asked here (which you should always ask if your unsure) which means your already doubting the deal in the back of your head...
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by J_SIN
The potential headaches that could come from a deal like that are not worth the trouble. I would never do it.
Nor I. This deal sounds like all kinds of shifty..
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
My mirror hates my sub

Quote: Originally Posted by comics22
any deal that involves one of the 5 things is 99.9% of the time a scam:

1: buying sight unseen
2: offering more cash than what your selling it for
3: involving a shipping company
4: my personal one is using pay pal to buy a vehicle
5: persistent on wanting any info from you (address, email, etc)

most scams ive seen fall into usually all of them.

trust your gut - if it sounds weird; its a scam - you came and asked here (which you should always ask if your unsure) which means your already doubting the deal in the back of your head...

guess i am a scammer...

i'm buying a quad right now, it's 8 hours away.. i've only seen pictures on the internet, and i put a deposit down on it through paypal..
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
I don't feel tardy

Quote: Originally Posted by Speedy2222
guess i am a scammer...

sounds more like you are in the 0.1% he referenced by the 99.9% comment. Glad to know there are honest guys still out there.

and dont unintentionally mislead the OP, his situation is a clear, and well documented, scam.

The scam works by getting your paypal address, then they never send payment except a fake email that LOOKS like a payment confirmation. You click on it, use your login information on a fake website that looks like the paypal site, and they have you.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #11

Thanks for the help guys. I knew something had to be up. Id been dodging giving him my e-mail address, and physical address all day. And i did spell out my number. Well part of it anyway.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #12

I thought i had him shut up, but he's back at it again. He doesnt seem to understand no is no. He just keeps asking why i dont want to do this deal. Ive been trying to be polite about it, but its not working. I finally said, "if you cant be in town for the transaction, than i dont want to sell it to you."
I know i could have been alot more rude, but thats not me.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Disassembler

Sometimes you gotta be rude like in situations like these, he wants to scam you so no sense in being nice to him.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

Good point.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
NeoGeo

i've been trying to sell the Xtreme for a while now and i get hit with these stupid emails all the time. as soon as i see "oh yeah i will have a truck company come pick it up." bam deleted email.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Electrical Mod

They are forceful to guilt you into the scam, it's sad actually. Luckily if I do anything through paypal, my phone sends me a message through paypal, so it's harder to get scammed.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Urban Hick

Quote: Originally Posted by Speedy2222
guess i am a scammer...

i'm buying a quad right now, it's 8 hours away.. i've only seen pictures on the internet, and i put a deposit down on it through paypal..
Yup, I've bought cars sight unseen, sent money through paypal and sent a trucking company to pick the vehicles up....there are some honest people out there. But I understand sellers can be paranoid sometimes, so I usually get the sellers phone number and talk to them directly on the phone and provide them with all my info/encourage them to google my name so they;re satisfied that I am legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.