2005 GMC Enoy Clunking Rear End - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2005 GMC Enoy Clunking Rear End

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Off-Topic
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Dems 22s

User is: OffLine
2005 GMC Enoy Clunking Rear End

hey guys i really didnt know where to post this so i thought ot would be suitable. My wife has a 2005 envoy 2x4. When we take off sometimes the rear end clunks. Ive took it to the dealer 3 times and they couldnt get it to make the sound. Today i took it to another dealer and they said it needed a new complete rearend. They didnt tear the rear end down and look at it, they just entered the information in the computer and a bulletin came up saying they needed to order a complete rear end housing to fix the problem. Here is the problem I have a bumper to bumper warrenty, but if the dealer tears the differential down and there is nothing wrong with it im out the cost of labor and back to square one. If the rear diff is messed up i come out smelling like a rose. Has anyone here had this problem? If you were in my situation what would you do?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Dropped at birth

Re: 2005 GMC Enoy Clunking Rear End

I don't see what the problem is...you say you have a bumper to bumper warranty which means you shouldn't have to pay for anything anywhere lol
Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Better post-em.

yea no shit...thats the dealers problem if thier repair doesnt fix it, THEY diagnosed it wrong.

lol please dont tell me u got that extended warranty BS...
Old 07-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by mattadams13
hey guys i really didnt know where to post this so i thought ot would be suitable. My wife has a 2005 envoy 2x4. When we take off sometimes the rear end clunks. Ive took it to the dealer 3 times and they couldnt get it to make the sound. Today i took it to another dealer and they said it needed a new complete rearend. They didnt tear the rear end down and look at it, they just entered the information in the computer and a bulletin came up saying they needed to order a complete rear end housing to fix the problem. Here is the problem I have a bumper to bumper warrenty, but if the dealer tears the differential down and there is nothing wrong with it im out the cost of labor and back to square one. If the rear diff is messed up i come out smelling like a rose. Has anyone here had this problem? If you were in my situation what would you do?

When did you purchase this vehicle..? If you purchased it just recently, threaten to take it back.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

i agree with the dealer. sounds like the rear end is about to lock up. i herd some blazers had this problem because the axle housing were casted wrong causing it to go junk soon. comics22 seems right that if the fix it no matter what there paying for it, not you.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Dems 22s

ive had it for 3 years and its been doing it ever since we've had it. we have been taking it to the dealer that we bought it from 3 or 4 times and they can never find the problem. Our warrenty will be out on the 23 of this month so i decided to take it to a different dealer yesterday and they said they needed to replace the whole housing. Yesterday after the dealer call the place i bought my bumper to bumper warrenty from and they told the dealer they would replace everything but if they took the diff. apart and they didnt find anything wrong with it i would be out the cost of labor... so thats where im stuck at the moment. last night i did find out how to make the envoy make the sound though. If you come to a complete stop and give it gas it will clunk. it will not do it if you let off the brakes and let the vehicle roll and then give it gas
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

ohhhhh ok so the dealer didn't say thats the problem, and another shop did. i see where your footing the bill is coming from now. the dealer isint gonna pay for what they didn't think the problem was to begin with. from the way you describe it, it sounds like there is gears not matching up well. gasing it from a stop makes the clunk and rolling from a stop lets the gears come together softly and quietly. im not sure if its the ring and pinion, the spider gears or gears in the posi unit if it has it.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Dems 22s

the second shop is set up to take my warranty, and it has a posi unit.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Don't Cry

I purchased my 04 Colorado in December of 03 I have had the rear end replaced 3 times and all 3 clunk I drove a couple others on the lot the all clunk, have no clue what it is but it's normal.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Dems 22s

i got a call today from the second dealership. they tore the whole rear end down and they found out that a bearing went out and really mangled everything up in there. So an adjuster is coming to check it out sometime this week to decide if they are going to pay for it
Old 07-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Better post-em.

my 02 blazer sounded like the trans or rearend would kinda clunk like the gears meshing (5 speed) when taking off from a dead stop, after a 1000 mile roadtrip hauling a boat the sound has disappeared.....been fine since...trans fluid looked new and full before the trip rearend level was good and clean too...
Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
Fashion Bug !!!

Replaced the entire rear axle assembly on my 03 S10 shortly after I got it in 06. It was clunking and making gear noise, I think the pinion bushing was bad. Sold the good parts off the old unit, like disc brake assemblies, axles, etc. Ended up turning a profit from the repair.

I hope it never goes bad again, that was quite a job. I replaced the gear oil in it recently and used the Lucas brand, it seems make it a little smoother, and doesn't require friction modifier.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
Dems 22s

the warranty company are going to send us a complete used rearend.. it sucks i paid 4 or 5 thousand bucks for a warranty and get used parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.