S-10 Forum banner

My first track day experience

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  JustAnSS 
#1 ·
As a lot of you know I've been autocrossing my truck (non-competitively) for the last two years or so. I've always wanted to race on a full road course, but the cost and availability of open track days kinda of put me off. That is until this summer when SCCA started holding what they call 'Track Night in America' at a bunch of tracks including the one nearest to me, PIR. Basically you only pay $150 and get three 20 minutes sessions. You don't need to take any driving classes or have an instructor, just get in your vehicle and drive.

A little background info on my truck, it's '97 S10 SS with ZQ8 suspension. It's got a 2/3 drop, tall ball joints, and Spohn UCAs. The rest of the suspension is basically stock, although I've replaced all the steering components and most of the bushings in the suspension. I have C5 brakes up front and Blazer discs out back. Tires are 200TW Dunlop ZII SS, 245/45-17 all around.

My first session was kind of a bust. Since it was many people's first time ever on a track they were just cruising around it. There was also no passing allowed on this session so I was stuck behind all of them. I could have pitted in and let them get ahead, but I just decided to stick it out and get to learn the driving line.

The second session is where the fun started. I was the third one out, and the two cars in front of me just blasted off. I was able to pick up the pace this time and it was much more enjoyable. It took me no time at all to get comfortable on the track and get in a good 'zone'. I ended up lapping a Miata which is where I started this video.

On the last session, I did get a few open laps to myself but frequently came up on traffic. I passed a lot of cars and let two go by me. One of which was a Scion FRS which was slightly modified. The owner autocrosses it at SCCA events. He was a little bit faster on the straightaways but we were pretty even in the corners. Here's a few laps of me trying to keep up with him:

Overall the track night was 100% worth it. I had more fun than I ever have had during an AutoX. AutoX is like short bursts of fun, but track racing is an hour's worth of fun. I likely be doing more next year, possibly on different tracks. My truck held up all of the abuse great. About the only issue I ran into is I may have overheated the front brake rotors in the second session. I was slowing down early and not giving it much pressure, but after a few laps the brakes were pulsating a little. On the last session I went deeper before hitting the brakes and used them harder and probably half the time I was before. I think the problem is because I cheaped out on the pads and rotors, they're like the eBay specials lol. I was slowing down from just over 100mph. The truck handled great for being mostly stock. It just goes to show you don't have to dump a ton of money into your suspension to make it handle well.

See less See more
#6 ·
I had more fun than I ever have had during an AutoX. AutoX is like short bursts of fun, but track racing is an hour's worth of fun.
truth, after my first auto-x, I cant see myself ever paying for one when track days exists. Sometimes they through a free autocross in with our track days which is awesome.

thanks for sharing, ill watch the vid when i get home.

#9 ·
Sweet! I will definitely look into this then. There are 3 or 4 of them at Blackhawk farms, only about an hour and half from me, and a couple at a track up by twin cities in Minnesota, about 4 hours from me. This could be a great addition to the autocross season. Do they do scoring or lap times or anything, or is it just get out and do laps?

#10 ·
It's open lapping for 20 minutes per session. There's many apps for your phone that can track your lap times, speed, lateral g's, etc. I had the app going while my phone was in the center console, although it can also take video too. On my recent track night most of my laps were between 1:46 and 1:48, but my fastest was 1:44. The highest speed I hit was 104mph, average was around 63-65mph.

#11 ·
Every track day group is different, although the formats are mostly the same. Our local, ProAutoSports requires that you take a 2 hour class with them at your first track day, and have at least 2, 20 minutes session with an instructor. Some tech your car, some just take your word for it that its good to go.

Also be aware that insurance does not cover track time. Most track day organizations offer single day track insurance through lockton, which is usually around $100. If you decline that, and tap someone on track, you are 100%responsible for damages.

Research your local group and see what they are about. As far as lapping aaps, I recommend trackmaster..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trackaroo.apps.mobile.android.Trackmaster&hl=en

You can then dump the video and telemetry data into racerender and make videos with the track map and times, etc like a dam video game. Its awesome.

Drove on R comps for the first time this last weekend. My friend let me borrow his 94 Miata which holds all the local track records for TTE. Its on hoosier R7s at the moment. OMFG. that is all.

#14 ·
That certainly looks fun.

Sean, thanks for the local info. When do you plan on attending next if at all.

I go to every event at wild horse when its cool out and I have the spare cash. So probably once a month starting in October. October 2nd to be exact.

My friend just got a 47ft trailer and an f350, so well probably start going to indie and AMP too.

http://proautosports.com/forms/pdf/2016SCHEDULE.pdf

I missed the entire 15/16' season because I had my second kid, and the Miata was in various states of "turbo install". So the last time I was on track in my car it was making about 90whp. I had it dynoed recently at 210whp at 10psi, and im cranking it up to 23psi before the season gets here... want a ride? >:)

#15 ·
Hi All!

There is also NASA (National Auto Sport Association) that holds track weeked events. With NASA you have a ladder system where you progress up as far as you want to go. You only need a streetable car in sound working order and an approved helmet.

If you decide you want to race there are classes for street cars in time trails as well as wheel-to-wheel racing in race prepared cars.

I found the NASA guys very welcoming and easy to get along with. My local NASA has a generous worker program where you get one day of track time for every two days that you work. Here are some of my track day event videos!!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCTHoVPQ32mh3wQe7sHf5Kng

#17 ·
I posted this in the video section as well, but here's a video of a track day I did at ORP. It wasn't a SCCA track night, but a private club day I was a guest of. Only a total of 7 cars the whole day. I could get on and off the track whenever I wanted to. As you can see this track is far more advanced and tons more fun:

#19 ·
Shit...

Still need to figure out why tach wont run off the megasquirt, and go back to the tuners, align the car, mount oil cooler, and other stuff im forgetting. You should PM me your number.

#20 ·
I wish I had some video, but I actually took my 2dr Blazer out to a small autocross driver instruction and race weekend. Sean, they were amazed at the handling, which really came down to the alignment specs you gave me, and the Camaro front brakes you machined. I won't run the Blazer again, I don't think, but I learned a lot and now know that I will definitely be building the S10 for it. Its highly addicting.

#21 ·
New member here, so I'm joining the thread a bit late. Cool to see the video clip running ORP counter-clockwise. I was only there once, back in 2009 in my CTS-V, and ran it clockwise (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LMyXpLV8rU). I agree that ORP is a ton of fun - one of the most fun tracks I've run! The Navy moved me back to the East Coast early in 2010, so I imagine that 2009 trip will remain my one and only there.

#22 ·
The funny thing was, before the track day I watched a bunch of YouTube clips studying the track clockwise. But then once I got there and found out we were running it counter clockwise I had throw every thing I learned out the window. Thankfully the track staff showed us around the track in a van for a few laps so we had a better understanding of it. I actually got the hang of it pretty quick. I first focused on finding the right line on the blind sections of the track and went from there. By my third session I had the track down pretty good and just kept picking up the pace each time around. The track is ridiculously fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.