Blazer ZR2, LSx/T56/AWD/Dropped Project - S-10 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 Old 08-30-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Blazer ZR2, LSx/T56/AWD/Dropped Project

Ok, Ive always been a huge fan of the ZR2 Blazers and have wanted one for awhile and finally found the right deal, as i was holding out for a 5 speed truck. Back in July i found this 2002 Blazer ZR2, 5 speed all stock with 158K miles originally from CA in Killeen Tx at a small car lot. They were asking 3995, so i decided it was worth the 3hr drive to go check it out.

Well on the initial test drive the drivers side radiator tank split and it puked coolant everywhere right as i was pulling back into the car lot. So other than that i ran well and was in decent shape so i told them replace the radiator, water pump, thermostat and both the upper and lower hoses and id give them the 3995.

Fast forward a week and i go to look at it again after the repairs, and they replaced everything but the upper and lower hoses, saying they couldn't get them. Well i drove it again and it all checked out so i offered them 3800 since they didn't do the hoses and they took it.

This is the truck that has inspired this project idea for the last few years.

I didn't take any pics when i bought it, but i also didn't get very far before having more issues! I was about 2 hrs from leaving the dealer heading thru Waco in traffic and this Honda Accord pulling a small UHual trailer got cut off by a truck and slammed on the brakes and i slammed on the brakes and ended up hitting the dam uhual trailer!!! Messed up the front bumper and grill and the front edge of the hood. Man was i pissed!! Well as i went to get in to get back on the road, the upper radiator hose busted and puked coolant everywhere!!! So another 2hrs later with the new hose on and refilled with coolant i was back on my way! But by this time the Blazer def had a bad taste in y mouth and im thinking maybe i should have passed on this deal. But since i crashed it i was stuck with it.

But the damage to the front end enabled me to do the GMC conversion which i always felt looked much better. So here it is all fixed with a street scene speed grill to spruce it up.

I think it all worked out for the better personally. Then since the accident i realized this pig needs bigger brakes, and i already have adapter brackets to run the C6 Z06 14" rotors and 04--07 CTS-V 4 piston Brembos, but they wont fit the stock 15" ZR2 wheels, which ive never been a fan of, so i found a set of 11' camaro 18" aluminum wheels for 150 bucks and found a set of 255/55 18 Continental tires at a local tire shop that had 90% tread and was willing to trade straight across for the like new 31 10.50 15 Firestone AT's that were on the Blazer when i bought it. So this is how that ended up, again i think it looks much better.

Then i found a 99 5.3 with 298K miles, complete for 100 bucks and pickup it up to rebuild into a 5.7 and swap that into the Blazer hopefully in the next few months, no pics of the engine yet.

Everything was going great until 2 sundays ago when some dumbass not paying attention went straight in a left turn only lane, i was in the lane to her right that was turn left of go straight and i had my blinker on and turned, and well you can see where this was going, i ended up turning right into her front passenger door, luckily the higher stock height of the ZR2 kept damage to mine minimal with only a scrape on the driver front fender flare and a dent in the fender from her mirror, her door was completely pushed in. Still dealing with the Ins Co with that one. But here is the damage done to mine, luckily my new bumper cover and grill were still at the painters getting painted and not on the truck.

I was actually on my way to get the wheels and tires swapped out!!

Then this past weekend i found a ram air hood that i always liked and since my stock hood was damaged anyways i figured id get the ram air hood, drove about 4hrs to swap my stock hood and 200 bucks for the fiberglass ram air hood.

Then on the way back from Fort Worth after the hood deal was done, i noticed the Blazer seemed low on power and wasn't pulling the hills very well, the CEL was already on because i bypassed the clutch switch cause it was bad, replaced it today, so i stopped and it had a code for the MAF, tried to clean it but within 50 miles it went right back to the way it was, so had to limp it home.

Swapped the MAF with another one i had, and put in the new clutch switch, both front O2 sensors, and a few weeks ago i replaced the injector assembly with a good used one off eBay of the updated style, and a full tune up with performance distributors Dyna mod, and hotter coil and live wire plug wires, all these parts were from the 5.7 in my Tahoe that is getting a 454 swap. Seems to be running better ATM, so hopefully that will continue, i swear im starting to think this think is cursed!!! The 5 speed is on its way out too, makes noise in 1st-3rd and pops out of 1st alot, so im looking for a good used low miles one, and actually found one in MS about 350 miles away for 250 with 76K on it, but the yard is only open M-F 8-5 and i cant get there till the weekend, so still trying to work that out as i don't want to ship it and risk it getting damaged. I also have a new clutch setup to go in with the new(used) trans.

Gonna get the 5.3 swapped in with the stock 5 speed for now, then work on getting the brakes upgraded and the suspension dropped and then work on the T56 swap. Ok, sorry this is so long, just thought some of you would appreciate the story.

jerico likes this.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Re: Blazer ZR2, LSx/T56/AWD/Dropped Project

Well i guess the blazer felt alittle more drama was in order, and the fuel pump took a crap yesterday, but i think maybe its been weak since i got the truck and just finally quit, as low fuel pressure explains alot as far as how this thing has been running and the crappy MPG's and lack of power.

I went ahead and got an aeromotive stealth 340, and will modify the stock module to fit the new pump, also got a racetronix hot wire kit so that once the 5.7(5.3) goes in i wont have to worry about the fuel system, or atleast that's the idea.

I did get alittle bonus while shopping around for the fuel pump and scored a set of Street Scene mirrors that are for factory power/heated and with the rear signal conversion brand new for 87 bucks! I had forgotten i had them on my saved list on Amazon and seen them for the 87 bucks when i was checking out for the fuel pump, so i couldn't pass up that deal on a set of $300 mirrors!!

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #3 of 98 Old 09-07-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Yesterday i scored a hell of a deal on an 05 CTS-V T56 with 90K miles that was replaced due to it popping out of reverse, guy was only asking 30 bucks for it complete minus the shifter which i cant use anyways, and then says hey i also got this 06-07 ZO6 corvette T56 thats been torn down and is in pieces, was replaced at 30K miles due to hard to shift into 2nd, he gave it to me as part of the deal!!!! So now i have the ZO6 1pc countershft, and the ZO6 transaxle adaptor i need to replace the CTS-V tail housing to mate with the RSG T-case adapter and make the T56 4WD/AWD a bolt on deal!

Gonna hopefully work a deal with a trans guy i know to get the CTS-V T56 rebuilt and upgraded with the 1pc cuntershaft and the SSR 32 spline mainshaft, and use the ZO6 trans as partial trade for the work!!

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!

post #4 of 98 Old 09-12-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Figured id post up an update on the fuel pump, got the new aeromotive pump swapped into my stock but modified fuel pump module along with a new fuel filter and while my F is now where its suppose to be, the truck does not run any better, and im scratching my head about ready to drive this POS off in the lake!!

Then i start thinking an engine is nothing but an air pump, so i know im getting good air in so i must not be getting good air out, and a few weeks ago i had already bought a new muffler and some pipe as i wanted to redo the exhaust anyways for sound and power and hopefully alittle MPG improvement so i cut off the stock muffler at the inlet, and no change, i cut off the pre-cat right after the factory y as close to the inlet to the smaller pre-cat and viola, truck runs much better!!! My guess is since i had the leaking the injector(s)and or FPR before the new injector assembly the excess fuel melted the pre-cat and maybe the main cat as well. I had this happen on a 2K Olds Bravada i bought in 2007 with 44K miles and ended up getting the entire y-pipe assembly replaced under warranty twice after i replaced the FPR that was leaking.

So for the Blazer, since i have the 5.3 that i will be swapping in soon, i bought a dynomax ultra-flo 3.5 in/out and some 3.5" pipe and a 2.5-3..5 adapter so i can come off the factory y-pipe into the 3.5 back to the muffler and then im gonna dump the muffler in front of the axle. When the 5.3 goes on im gonna build a custom 2.5" y-pipe off the Sanderson swap headers into a dual 2.5 in single 3.5 out flowmaster scavenger y-pipe, should be plenty of flow and sound good too.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #5 of 98 Old 09-19-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Small update, but scored a set of lightly used Belltech 5964 3" drop leafs that were installed on an 01 Blazer X, if the info i have read saying the Blazer ZR2 rear leafs are actually arched to provide 2" of lift vs the STD 4x4 leafs, i should be able to bolt these leafs on and get about 5" of drop. Got them from another member here for 170 shipped which isn't to bad. I'm looking at doing the "torsion bar trick" for the front that is said to give around 5"+ of drop, ultimately im gonna do some coil overs up front and down the road im hoping to do the tubular arms they sell for the 4x4's and maybe a 4 link type rear suspension with coil overs as well, we will see, all that will be after the the 5.7/T56 swap is done.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #6 of 98 Old 09-23-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Ok, since i cant stand the torsion bars, and was able to sell some other parts i have gone ahead and ordered the coil overs, cost me 340 bucks shipped for everything from speedway motors. Heres a breakdown of the parts i went with:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bilste...5-5,31687.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bilste...-Kit,6871.html

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-1...nch,23735.html

The shocks have about the same compressed/extended lengths as the stock shocks, and with the 10" springs im hoping i can get around a 4-5" drop but we will see once they are on the truck. Also the 525 springs were the highest they had and just happen to be on sale for 30 bucks each. I also got a spanner wrench to adjust ride height. I'm also planning on doing some custom machine work to a set of stock 4wd knuckles in order to flip the lower BJ to mount the knuckle on top of the control arm which should be worth 2-3" of drop by itself and then fine tune ride height with the coil overs.

Will post pics of the install. Stay tuned.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #7 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage
Send a message via MSN to TokoDragon

Looks pretty good! I did a really similar build on a first gen truck (with a lot of ZR2 parts)

I used the AWD out of an astro van

I have coil overs as well, this truck is about as low as I can go without running into cv axle problems with your ZR2 you'll be about 2'' higher (if you go to 235 tires) There is a member on here that makes really nice control arms to fix the angles, or there is a company that bulds control arms for Syclones to be lowered that will fit your ZR2 but with the frame mounts on a ZR2 it's going to be higher unless you start cutting and welding on the frame.
Will382 likes this.
post #8 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 01:47 PM

Exciting so far

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
post #9 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokoDragon View Post
Looks pretty good! I did a really similar build on a first gen truck (with a lot of ZR2 parts)

I used the AWD out of an astro van

I have coil overs as well, this truck is about as low as I can go without running into cv axle problems with your ZR2 you'll be about 2'' higher (if you go to 235 tires) There is a member on here that makes really nice control arms to fix the angles, or there is a company that bulds control arms for Syclones to be lowered that will fit your ZR2 but with the frame mounts on a ZR2 it's going to be higher unless you start cutting and welding on the frame.
Nice truck and do you have any pics of your coil over install, or what parts you used? And yes ive been talking to the guy here that makes control arms and will get a set, just a matter of getting the cash together to do so. My plans are not to modify the control arm mount points, atleast not any time soon. I will get it as low as i can with the control arms, coil overs and flipping the knuckles and will probably end of running a 275/45 18 tire all around, and have the wheel mounting flange on the front wheels machined down to bring the front wheels/tires flush with the factory fender flares. I think this will get me low enough to be happy for now and then look at other options if i want to get it lower.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #10 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 05:29 PM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Just bolted in where the shock was, and shimmed to clear the upper control arm and upper control arm had a chunk cut out of the back.

post #11 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Just bolted in where the shock was, and shimmed to clear the upper control arm and upper control arm had a chunk cut out of the back.

I see you did the newer 98+ blazer brake upgrade as well, these are a no brainer upgrade! I have them on my 92 2wd Sonoma GT and its a night and day difference compared to the stock single piston brakes.

On the coil overs, what shocks and springs did you use? P/N's? are your adjustable on the shocks themselves or just ride height adjustable?

My coil overs will be here Tuesday, so ill post some pics of them assembled and ready to install, not sure ill have enough time after work to actually get them on the truck but we will see. I went with 1 7/8 springs, so i don't anticipate any clearance issues but you never know.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #12 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Just about all that stuff came off of my ZR2 lol, control arms and sway bar etc. the valving is not adjustable but the coils are turned about as high as they will go.

The shock is a QA1 7554 with the matching coilover kit attached to it, the coil is 10'' tall and 1-7/8 diameter.

It takes some cutting of the upper arm and trimming the mount the upper arm attaches too and playing with shims to get good clearance around stuff like CV axle and tierods but it's pretty damn easy to convert these trucks to coils- the harder job will be wrestling the torsion bars out.

good time to upgrade to poly urethane bushings and bravada solid axle.
post #13 of 98 Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Just about all that stuff came off of my ZR2 lol, control arms and sway bar etc. the valving is not adjustable but the coils are turned about as high as they will go.

The shock is a QA1 7554 with the matching coilover kit attached to it, the coil is 10'' tall and 1-7/8 diameter.

It takes some cutting of the upper arm and trimming the mount the upper arm attaches too and playing with shims to get good clearance around stuff like CV axle and tierods but it's pretty damn easy to convert these trucks to coils- the harder job will be wrestling the torsion bars out.

good time to upgrade to poly urethane bushings and bravada solid axle.
Those are the shocks i was going to order, but was afraid they would have enough travel for the ZR2, so i went with the slightly longer bilsteins that were the same price. I also have ES poly sway bar bushings and body mounts that will get installed soon, and im currently searching for the bravada front axle and tube to do that swap as well.

You said yours is adjusted about as high as you can get it, so im curious what size tires your running? Currently im running 255/55 18 that are 29" tall, and my wheel well measurement at axle center line is right at 35" front and back. I'm hoping that the belltech leafs i bought will get me the 5" drop in back and also hoping to get close to that with the coil overs in the front so the ass end wont be sagging to bad...lol

One more question on your setup, what spring rate did you use?

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #14 of 98 Old 09-26-2016, 12:07 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

It's using 235/75 R 15 size tires

Longer shocks should work with the taller ZR2 control arm mounts, the spring rate for mine are 550LBS which is a little light but it is the highest for a 1-7/8 coil.

There is a member on here named 95supertruck (I think) that is using 2.5'' coils that are 850lbs spring rate and says the ride is great, but coils that big require at least new upper arms and/or a lot more trimming.

AWD astro vans use the same solid shaft as the Bravada.
post #15 of 98 Old 09-26-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
It's using 235/75 R 15 size tires

Longer shocks should work with the taller ZR2 control arm mounts, the spring rate for mine are 550LBS which is a little light but it is the highest for a 1-7/8 coil.

There is a member on here named 95supertruck (I think) that is using 2.5'' coils that are 850lbs spring rate and says the ride is great, but coils that big require at least new upper arms and/or a lot more trimming.

AWD astro vans use the same solid shaft as the Bravada.

Cool, well hopefully the 525 springs i got will be enough. I also order the Belltech Street Performance 2412IF shocks for the rear, they are supposedly good up to a 5" drop on a 2WD 02 Blazer so should be good to go on mine with the belltech drop leafs. My coil overs will be here tomorrow, and im gonna get off work early this afternoon so i may go home and start pulling all the torsion bar crap off along with the old shocks and get it ready for the new setup, that way tomorrow after work i just have to assemble the shocks and bolt them in...hopefully.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #16 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Hopefully it comes apart pretty easy. My zr2 wasn't too bad, I soaked the torsion keys in penetrating oil and after the lower control arms were unbolted I hit them with a big hammer and knocked it all apart. With my first gen the torsion bars were fused to the keys and I couldn't get them loose I finally just notched out the crossmember enough and dropped the torsion bars, keys, and cradle in 1 piece.
post #17 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Interesting build, I'll definitely follow.

You're just up the road from me. I live off 1488/2978 in Magnolia.
post #18 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Hopefully it comes apart pretty easy. My zr2 wasn't too bad, I soaked the torsion keys in penetrating oil and after the lower control arms were unbolted I hit them with a big hammer and knocked it all apart. With my first gen the torsion bars were fused to the keys and I couldn't get them loose I finally just notched out the crossmember enough and dropped the torsion bars, keys, and cradle in 1 piece.
Well, this blazer has been on the west coast most of its life and isn't to bad as far as rust goes, so i think what my plan is to just unbolt the torsion bar crossmember after putting the front end up on jack stands and then lowering it down with a jack and yanking the bars out of the lower control arms.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #19 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerPitMix View Post
Interesting build, I'll definitely follow.

You're just up the road from me. I live off 1488/2978 in Magnolia.
Yeah not to far away. Once i get the new lowered suspension on it, and i get the new exhaust finished up and the PCM back from getting tuned this will be my daily driver, so youll likely see it around, as its the only yellow Blazer ZR2 ive seen in the area. My Sonoma GT ive been driving daily is asking for some more attention as ive got a lifter thats started tapping, guess the LS6 springs and roller rockers i swapped in recently were to much for the stock 25YO lifters.

Also i figured id post an update on the accident that dented the drivers side fender and scraped up the flare but didnt break it. The other persons insurance came out and wrote up and estimate of 23xx.00 bucks for repairs!!! 750 bucks for a new GM fender and 500 for a new GM flare and the flare extension and then painting and removing/installing parts to install and paint and blend the paint.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #20 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Well the coil overs arrived!!! After getting them assembled I'm not sure I'm gonna get as low as I wanted with them, depending on how much the spring compresses.
post #21 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Here they are assembled and ready to bolt on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737_1475005005916.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	265577  
post #22 of 98 Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Ok, well the old torsion bars, TB crossmember and mounts and old front shocks all came out pretty easy with some slight persuasion from the BFH. Then had to pull the brakes and knuckle off in order to get enough room to cut off piece of the bump stop bracket to get more cleanace for the spring. Then 6 1/2 washers on each side of the shock on the bottom and it bolted right in. I'm thinking down the road when the LS engine and T56 and NV-149 t-case gets swapped in I'm def gonna need some higher rated springs, probably around 600-650 I'm thinking. As it is right now the 525 springs compress a good bit when they are fully supporting the weight. I was only able to get the drivers side fully installed tonite and right now I have the spring height as low as I can go. Tomorrow I'll get the other side done and then set it down on the tires and see where I ended up. I measured the wheel wells before and was at 35" front and back.

Few pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0738_1475029262495.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	265633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739_1475029280660.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	265641  
post #23 of 98 Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 PM

Awesome

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
post #24 of 98 Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

I used a borg warner 4472 t-case because it is full time AWD, an NV149 is a part-time AWD, it will need to be wired to a switch or grab the wiring from the NV149 donor vehicle (not sure what wiring would be required) But with the NV149 you shouldn't need to swap the pinion input on the front differential (not hard) and 4472 also needs the front driveshaft from a 91-97 bravada.

Right now my truck is 30.5'' from ground to highest point in fender and 31.5'' in the rear.
post #25 of 98 Old 09-30-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
I used a borg warner 4472 t-case because it is full time AWD, an NV149 is a part-time AWD, it will need to be wired to a switch or grab the wiring from the NV149 donor vehicle (not sure what wiring would be required) But with the NV149 you shouldn't need to swap the pinion input on the front differential (not hard) and 4472 also needs the front driveshaft from a 91-97 bravada.

Right now my truck is 30.5'' from ground to highest point in fender and 31.5'' in the rear.
The NV-149 is a full time AWad setup, something like 67 rear and 33 front is the split and it's what was used on the early 2000's Denalis AWD and the Silverado SS AWD. There is no wiring that controls it, only wiring is the VSS.

I got the coil overs full installed on both sides and as I was thinking the 525 springs are not heavy enough, with the front end on the tires it dropped 4" but the springs are almost fully compressed with about 1/2" of suspension travel. So far I've only been able to find 550 off the shelf 1 7/8 springs which still wouldn't be enough, I'm thinking 650-700 maybe 750 would be a good spring and right now the ride height adjusters are all the way down. My measurement at axle centerline to bottom of gender flare is 31" on the both sides, was 35" before and I'm running 29" tall tires.
post #26 of 98 Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Here is how its sitting at the moment. Like i said there is maybe 1/2-1" of suspension travel before the springs are in total coil bind. Like i said the 550 springs are as heavy as Ive found and i don't honestly thing another 25lbs is going to make any real difference.

So im thinking i have a set of DA QA1's that are the same compressed/extended specs as the Bilsteins i have on there now that are for 2.5 dia springs, and i can get some 700 or 750 still not sure which way to go there, and put them on, but the larger springs will require alot more trimming, which im not scared to do, but im wondering if i trim out a section of the upper control arm, how will its strength be when im done, if i had the cash to order the tubular arms now, it would be an easy choice. Or atleast tubular uppers.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #27 of 98 Old 10-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Sorry I confused the np149 with the np136.

Have you driven the blazer with the 525lbs coilovers?

My first gen has 550 and it rides really nice, it's about 3550lbs your blazer is probably around 4500lbs. I have about 3'' of compression and 7-8'' of droop, but 3" is enough for the tires to skim the top of the wheel wells.

Another member here uses 850lbs springs on his reg cab non-Z 4x4. (should weigh about 3800lbs-4000lb) Sooo if you plan on doing some performance driving like auto cross kind of stuff 950lbs spring rate would probably do well.

Typhoon owners use 650lbs springs a lot for everyday driving they are about 3800lbs.

Jegs also sells their own version of a coilover shock for 2.5" coils that I was looking at getting.
post #28 of 98 Old 10-02-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Sorry I confused the np149 with the np136.

Have you driven the blazer with the 525lbs coilovers?

My first gen has 550 and it rides really nice, it's about 3550lbs your blazer is probably around 4500lbs. I probably have about 3'' of compression and 7-8'' of droop, but 3" is enough for the tires to skim the top of the wheel wells.

Another member here uses 850lbs springs on his reg cab non-Z 4x4. Sooo if you plan on doing some performance driving like auto cross kind of stuff 950lbs spring rate would probably do well.

Jegs also sells their own version of a coilover shock for 2.5" coils that I was looking at getting.

No I haven't driven it, I still need to finish the new exhaust setup. But with very little travel I don't want to drive it as i know it's gonna ride like crap.
post #29 of 98 Old 10-02-2016, 01:35 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

some day I'd like to get the 850lbs 2.5'' coil setup- and move these 550lbs coils to the back of the truck with a 4 link or similar.

If you already have the coilovers for 2.5" coils I think I would get 850-950lbs coils, I've seen people on syty.net use 2.5" coils with stock control arms, for everday driving I doubt you will have any problems but performance driving with that much cut out of the upper control arms might be the nail in the coffin for them. The lower control arm and shock tower carry the majority of the weight. The biggest issue with the upper control arm is the angle of the ball joint, so if you have the cash getting the tubular arms made for coilovers for the syclone/typhoon is a good idea.
post #30 of 98 Old 10-02-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
some day I'd like to get the 850lbs 2.5'' coil setup- and move these 550lbs coils to the back of the truck with a 4 link or similar.

If you already have the coilovers for 2.5" coils I think I would get 850-950lbs coils, I've seen people on syty.net use 2.5" coils with stock control arms, for everday driving I doubt you will have any problems but performance driving with that much cut out of the upper control arms might be the nail in the coffin for them. The lower control arm and shock tower carry the majority of the weight. The biggest issue with the upper control arm is the angle of the ball joint, so if you have the cash getting the tubular arms made for coilovers for the syclone/typhoon is a good idea.

Well the coil over shocks i have are to long, so they wont work. After taking some measurements this morning, the 525 springs that started as 10" free height are sitting at 7", and like i said almost fully compressed. and if it takes 525lbs to compress the spring 1", so that means each side is holding up 1575lbs, but since the shocks/springs are mounted on a angle there is a correction factor involved depending on the angle. and im thinking the stock shock mounting angle is around 20 degrees, so that means the springs needs to be about 50lbs heavier just to correct for thee angle. So im thinking a 750 spring will work, but im gonna go with an 800 spring just to have alittle extra for when the LS swap is done.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #31 of 98 Old 10-08-2016, 02:17 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Have you found a way to get those 2.5'' coilovers to work or found replacements?

I wonder how your blazer would ride if you replaced the rear shocks with the 525lbs coil overs, similar to a helper spring
post #32 of 98 Old 10-08-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Have you found a way to get those 2.5'' coilovers to work or found replacements?

I wonder how your blazer would ride if you replaced the rear shocks with the 525lbs coil overs, similar to a helper spring

I have ordered some single adjustable QA1's that are the proper length and got them for 141 each and order Eibach 800lb springs and will be getting the tubular arms from the guy on here, eggstream. I would eventually like to get the 4 link kit that JSM offers for the Blazer/Typhoon and see how it would work on the ZR2 Blazer, and the other QA1 coil overs i have would be good for that but would need heavier springs, and i think the 525 would be alittle to heavy for the rear, but maybe not. Someday ill have the cash to find out! LOL

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #33 of 98 Old 10-08-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Well i as searching speedways website today and actually found some 600lb 1 7/8 springs on with garage sale pricing and i had a code to get an extra 15% off garage sale items, so i got the pair for 68 bucks with shipping. They are an 8" spring, so i will get 2" lower atleast, but my curiosity is wanting to see how the shorter springs and 600lb rating handles the weight of the blazer, figure i can get them cheap enough to see how they work out. Should have them by next weekend.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #34 of 98 Old 10-09-2016, 01:24 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Stuff you ordered will be a nice setup!- but didn't sound cheap!

Using the 525lbs coilovers in the rear like helper springs is something I haven't seen before, but my truck is pretty loose/bouncy in the rear I imagine a blazer is even more so, probably wouldn't be too much work to get the coils in the rear (the rear of my pick-up those coils would bolt right up without mods) and with how heavy the rear of a blazer is it might give it a ride to match the front coils.

Right now mine just has 2'' drop blocks and the ZR2 axle

Be sure to get more pictures when you get the new coils on, should look pretty awesome!
post #35 of 98 Old 10-09-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Stuff you ordered will be a nice setup!- but didn't sound cheap!

Using the 525lbs coilovers in the rear like helper springs is something I haven't seen before, but my truck is pretty loose/bouncy in the rear I imagine a blazer is even more so, probably wouldn't be too much work to get the coils in the rear (the rear of my pick-up those coils would bolt right up without mods) and with how heavy the rear of a blazer is it might give it a ride to match the front coils.

Right now mine just has 2'' drop blocks and the ZR2 axle

Be sure to get more pictures when you get the new coils on, should look pretty awesome!
The rear shocks will have to have an upper t-bar to bolt into the stock location, but def an option. I paid 418 i think for the QA1's single adjustable and the Eibach springs, so not to much more than the first setup, but this setup is the 2.5 spring so it will need more cutting for clearance and at the very least a tubular upper arm or cutting out the stock arm and welding in some reinforcement steel to keep its strength. Plus the new setup im going to mount upside down so it should clear better, but we will see. The Eibach coils will be here tomorrow along with the belltech drop leafs and the QA1's will be here Tuesday i think, i wont have the tubular arms for about another week or two.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #36 of 98 Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Ok, time for an update. The 525 springs were obviously not strong enough, and I found a set of 600lb springs in the smaller 17/8 diameter in the garage sale section on speedway for 68 bucks shipped for the pair and got them in yesterday.

The 525 springs were 10" long and these are 8" long so I was happy to get two more inches of drop and tonite I swapped them out and with the coil over adjuster 1/2" from the bottom I have each side set at 30" from the ground for the bottom of the flare at axle centerline with 29" tall tires. I have more suspension travel but haven't driven it yet.

Tomorrow morning I'll be getting the belltech drop leafs installed which should give me 5" of drop in the back as well. Stay tuned for pics.
post #37 of 98 Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

Sweet, should look good!

does the zr2 blazer have a rear sway bar like the other blazers, or something more like the zr2 pick up?
post #38 of 98 Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Sweet, should look good!

does the zr2 blazer have a rear sway bar like the other blazers, or something more like the zr2 pick up?
The ZR2 Blazers have the same rear sway bar as the reg 2dr Blazers. 23mm and it's mounted facing forward of the rear axle. I have new poly bushings to go on it that I'll swap on when I get the rear leafs and shocks swapped out this next week. Got busy over the weekend with other stuff and didn't have time to work on the blazer.
post #39 of 98 Old 10-26-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Update Time:

Finally took the Blazer out for a drive with the Bilsteins/600lb springs and its bouncy as shit and the springs are bottoming out im sure.

I got my exhaust mods done and after several days of fighting the 3.5" pipe, i gave up as it just didn't fit, so i ran a longer piece of 2.5 from the end of the y-pipe into the 3.5 ultra flo muffler and with it dumped, its not good...lol Lots of drone, which im not sure why, Ive ran these mufflers before and never had that issue, but with the V6 its def a problem, so the 3.5 ultra flo is coming back off and i going to put it on my Sonoma GT along with long tube headers and dual 2.5 into a single 3.5 with a full 3.5 tailpipe exiting in the stock location.

I ordered an ultra flo 2.5 and a stock replacement 2.25 tail pipe to go back on the blazer for now, should still sound decent and no drone! When i finally get the LS swap done the exhaust setup is gonna be a PITA so not looking forward to that!

I also sent off the 4.3 PCM and had it tuned by PCMPOWERTUNES.COM to have the post cat O2's and a few other DTC's turned off, reprogrammed for my tires and i have to say the 4.3 def has alot more get up and go than it did before, very impressed for 200 bucks!!

I saved the best for last, i finally got my custom made Tubular upper/lower control arms from Eggstream here on the forum, and im very impressed, very nice work and cant wait to get them installed! Also got my new coilovers, QA1 single adjustable with Eibach 8" 2.5ID 800lb springs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	266473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	266481  
Eggstream likes this.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #40 of 98 Old 10-27-2016, 11:25 AM
FFAMatt

Good looking project!

I'm excited to hear how it rides on the new coil-overs.

Trail Rig: 91 s-10 Blazer two door, "modified fenders" to clear 33s. SAS on the way!
Daily Driver/Tow Rig: 01 Suburban 2500. Pretty much stock for now...
Sold, trying to get back: Beater 89 S-10, 3.4 swap, modified 4wd, custom shortened flatbed, homemade bumpers
post #41 of 98 Old 10-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Passwordistaco

Garage

I love Eggstreams control arms. Makes me want to build a 4wd so bad. Neat project man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #42 of 98 Old 10-28-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_N_Black View Post
I love Eggstreams control arms. Makes me want to build a 4wd so bad. Neat project man.

Yeah im glad i decided to go ahead and get the arms, will make for a much better outcome. An Ive been wanting to do a 4wd project for a long time as well, and when i came across this blazer ZR2 online i knew it was time!

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #43 of 98 Old 10-29-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Well I finally got the belltech drop leafs installed tonite and they went in with no issues, they were just slightly longer overall than my stock ZR2 leafs and when it was back on the tires the drivers side dropped 4" and for some reason I measured a 3" drop on the passenger side! Gonna have to investigate that in the morning as it was already dark out. I'm hoping I was just reading the tape wrong. I ultimately wanted a total of a 6" drop so will need to get some blocks and new u-bolts.

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna tear off the stock front suspension and start putting on the super cool parts!!! Will be taking lots of pics so stay tuned!
post #44 of 98 Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Ok, well it was a long day for sure, started about 9:30-10 this morning and the stock parts came off pretty easy since i had them off a few weeks ago to install the other coil overs. I got the arms from Eggstream painted with VHT satin black chassis paint, got the new proforged ball joints and ES poly bushings installed into the arms and everything went together without much hassle, pretty much like putting stock parts back on. With the upper arm removed, i basically had to trim the entire bracket that was there solely for the bump stop on the bottom of the upper arm to hit at full suspension droop, which with the tubular arms would have no function any ways. I also installed the shocks upside down to make it easier to get to the adjustment knob, and with the tapered upper spring hat it cleared the CV shaft no problem. getting to the front upper control arm adjustment bolt for the alignment is tight but doable, although im sure the alignment guy wont like it! LOL

Ok, enough of my rambling time to let the pics do the talking.

After everything was back on the ground, i measured 31.5" from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare at axle centerline. I was at 30" before, so im gonna leave it where its at for now and see how the springs settle out over the next few days of driving.
Eggstream likes this.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #45 of 98 Old 10-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Passwordistaco

Garage

Looks great.

post #46 of 98 Old 10-30-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Here how its sitting this morning. Got to say im pretty happy with the outcome so far.

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #0003
Garage Queen
2002 BlazerZR2
Dropped Daily
2000 Tahoe Limited
5.3/60E Swap In Progress
FOR SALE!!!
post #47 of 98 Old 10-30-2016, 12:24 PM

I enjoy this project. Can't wait to get my arms. I am curious, however, with your plans to use a 149 t/c, have you run into fit-up issues at all? I was thinking of running the same case but a side by side comparison makes me think it will be far too big to tuck up under my truck.
post #48 of 98 Old 10-31-2016, 12:00 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

looks damn good! I think my truck has settled out to about 31'' ground to fender, but ZR2's fenders are cut about 1.5" higher and control arm mounts 2'' lower so just about 4'' of lowering more than me but = about the same end result.

I need a zq8 steering box- or rack&pinion conversion, regardless these trucks are fun!
post #49 of 98 Old 10-31-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
SyTy Speed Shop

Quote:
looks damn good! I think my truck has settled out to about 31'' ground to fender, but ZR2's fenders are cut about 1.5" higher and control arm mounts 2'' lower so just about 4'' of lowering more than me but = about the same end result.

I need a zq8 steering box- or rack&pinion conversion, regardless these trucks are fun!
Finally took it for a nice little drive tonite and it rides and handles great!!!

I'm at 30 3/4 on the front, LR is 31" and for some reason the RR is 31 3/4. I think the front will settle out another 3/8-1/2" over the next few days of driving so I'm gonna wait till the end of the week to get an alignment to see where it settles and adjust if needed to get to 30" in the front from the ground to the bottom of the flare. Will have to order some blocks and u-bolts to get the back down lower.

I also realized that my steering is pretty loose and the RF inner CV started to throw grease from around the clamp that holds the boot on, but I plan on getting new cv axles, wheel bearings and all new steering linkage in the near future along with a ZQ8 box as well!

So far I'm super happy with how it all turned out.
post #50 of 98 Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Professional Insultant

Garage

I had mine about an inch lower but the CVs were puking grease so I raised it up some. Your angles must be more severe than mine, but maybe the longer ZR2 CVs are soaking up more of the stress of lowering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page