this sh!+ takes forever - Page 5 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

this sh!+ takes forever

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #201

User is: OffLine
Re: this sh!+ takes forever

Im loving the tail lights
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #202

wow this build is awesome, love the tailights
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #203

thanks baggedout81 those ears took some patience it didn't seem like it would be worth it but im happy i did, extra reinforcement is never bad. the tailgate sucked haha definitely took some work and still going on it but very close to done with the tail. thanks littledevil and trpls10 those tails were a long time coming i had bought some caddi lights a while back but wanted to do something different and with custom tails i wasn't getting the look i wanted so i thought i would try this i'm definitely feeling better about my decision with the comments you guys are leaving
Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #204

i been looking over a lot of threads and ever since this car show i been to i have been thinking about my truck non stop. i have decided to go with a V8 its been so long with wiring i would be lost anyways with this motor. i am looking to get a v8 with the same config as my v6 just because of how i had everything setup i know nothing about the motor swaps so ill be doing a lot of research on it. i took the cab off and the rear suspension in the process of taking the motor off the frame redoing the welds on the rear and having the frame powdercoated. it might be some slow progress with the frame and motor but i still have the cab and all to do so illl still have something to do. also been thinking about redoing the firewall but not sure yet. all my painting materials are here and my steering wheel adapter so i can mock up the dash when i get some time. and garage is a mess again.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #205

still grinding welds very painstaking. i was blowing some metal shaving out the garage today and i seen jose with the ups truck walking my way. after months of waiting its finally here.

nicely wrapped!!

i had an idea what i wanted but not sure so i went to a tattoo shop and snagged a picture

i got pretty creative with paintshop my printer and coral paint shop pro and got this

hooked up the order form

and then started adding in my designs and lettering and sent off my drawing to be put in an autocad program and months later here she is.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #206

sweet. you needa try out that gun on my truck mang. i need some paint.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #207

Quote: Originally Posted by bagddime
sweet. you needa try out that gun on my truck mang. i need some paint.
let me know man i'm sure you'd be better at painting than me
Old 10-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #208

haha ive never painted anything with a gun. its all rattle can for me. i just need my truck painted white, then silver and blue flames. maybe. i dont know yet
Old 10-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #209

well i went and checked out a fellow minitruckers truck, drggnskeeter. he does some good work he gave me a couple tips on my truck so i got motivated when i got home and started doing some cutting. i'm always changing stuff on my truck so i'm sure when i finish the firewall i will stick with it this time.

kind of a rough cut for now until i get a chance to brace it up a little.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #210

Hell yeah get it girl!!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 AM   #211

awesome. if you need a hand let drggnskeeter or i know. im never busy and im sure were both willing to lend a hand
Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #212

haha i'm trying danny. thanks chris definitely appreciate it. lately haven't worked on the truck got pretty busy with the weekend and for the holiday but i did pick up some sheetmetal for the firewall and bedsides. finally got the tips for the plasma cutter in turned out they were the wrong ones but they were so much cheaper that i ended up drilling the nozzle for the gun so i can use the new electrodes permanently fixed. going to work tomorrow and trying to bend up a a filler for my firewall.

i moved the gas tank and still had some fuel in it so i took off the fuel sending unit and i found this ball inside the gas tank i have no idea what the hell it is or why it was there but it has fuel or some kind of liquid in it anyone have an idea?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #213

LOL never seen that.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #214
I gots 3 damn 2dr blazers

that is the ball in the metal filler hose, I think its called the rollover vent? Prevents gas from spilling out if its rolled.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #215

Quote: Originally Posted by blazinlow97
that is the ball in the metal filler hose, I think its called the rollover vent? Prevents gas from spilling out if its rolled.
haha makes sense because before i took off the fuel sending unit i turned it upside down and i was shakin it and hardly anything.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #216

got a little more work done today. i had bent up some sheetmetal for my firewall and tacked the top a little to check fitment its leaving gaps everywhere. i cut the firewall and end up cutting more and more i might end up doing a full sheetmetal firewall at this rate.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #217

Well it'll be nice and clean when your finished
Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #218

now that i look back on it i wasted some time cleaning up the firewall just to cut it out haha. cut some more today thinking of how i want to do the firewall so here is my progress.

i still have to figure out how i am going to seal up the bolt holes for the fenders
Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #219

Killer Build man!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #220

thanks atothep! got some mo work done i'm a pretty tall guy at 6'3 so i ended up cutting down the bench seat by about an inch gave me some headroom. i chopped off the headrest on it and tore into the foam hopefully the upholstry people can fix it i planned on making the bench fold individually. i mocked up the steering column so i could weld up a bracket and do some firewall work. as it turned out i cut more firewall and am now doing redoing it all except for maybe the wheel tubs i figure leaving some shape to the firewall will give me a little more strength then an all smooth one. just working on making my cuts straight for the sheetmetal.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #221

happy thanksgiving! went to eat with the fam and came home chilled and got bit by the bug again so i went to the garage. yesterday and today i plasma cut some fillers for the sheetmetal bed and done some trimming tonight. ended up cutting off my wheel tubs on the firewall and ordered some new ones. seems like a lot of work i am doing now is going over work i had already done once so i'm keeping busy with something. i am waiting until i pay off the credit card and i might buy a motorcycle again and then get a corvette motor for the truck so i am pretty excited about how next year is going to go i would like to take it to a show this year hopefully.

and just as i look at these picture i already see where i messed up dammit. at least i will get some practice welding sheetmetal. cut too much on filler for the gas door box where it touches the floor.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #222

Truck is lookin good man! Hey don't forget tax season is comin up...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #223

yeah hopefully i get some money back i was messing around with some pay so i guess i'll see. still hitting the grinder cutting filler panels isn't bad but where i welded the wheel tubs to the old sheetmetal is a pain i would cut them off but then have to make some 1/2 fillers all the way around where the welds were. also doing a little bracing getting my measurements right i think the easy part will be doing the floor no way it would be any harder.

i plan on running some bracing to the wheel tub and the top sides straight up and down comments on if i should brace more?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #224
Its that dam ADD!

this ish taking forever, but itll be worth it!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #225
DELIBERATE DESIGNS

looks good man,

where did you get that gas door?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #226

takes longer than i want it to but i'm focused. thanks get low and i bought that gas filler door on ebay it was like 50 or 60 bucks if i remember i'm sure you can get one cheaper. most of the time i will buy things in a rush thinking whatever i work on is almost done but then never get around to it haha. on a good note i got my custom steering wheel adapter in today pretty excited about that after a couple weeks.

ididit does some awesome work!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #227

shooting some ideas around lately and trying to decide. it started as a little project and continues to grow i'll drive the truck, but im not sure how much. i think i am more geared toward the magazines now. the truck lays frame but very rarely do i see featured s10 that lays frame. so i've been thinking about bodydropping it! i plan on doing 15s in a blow through but i'm limited with space in the bed so a 3 and a half inch bodydrop would almost kill my dreams. i was thinking of a 2 and a half inch body drop and give me an inch of ground clearance what are some of your guys opinions? also i want to do wheel tubs in the engine bay with 22's. i have been debating a lot mostly because a lot of the work i will be doing is going to change the bed and i had just done a lot of work just to get it where its at.

it really boils down to 15s in a blow threw lays frame or 2 and a half bodydrop a whole new system setup
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #228

so i thought about it for a while and i'm bodydropping it, i mean might as well it would just be something i would regret doing later. i'm kind of shy about the bodydrop just because i don't have a frame table and i don't want to make one just for the body mounts and the 3x3 frame section. i did make some progress today i did a lot of pondering and staring haha. got motor off again layed down cleaned some metal and tacked in another crossmember on the frame horns. still have a few questions like the c channel on the inside of the frame rails hangs down below the frame not too sure what people do for that. and how to line up the cab if i cut the body mounts off and the floor out and move the cab back 3/4 inch. i'll be looking around the bodydrop section a little more.

here is the c channel welded to the inside of the rails that i was talking about

Old 12-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #229

merry christmas! thought i would upload since i made progress today and i just got home. measuring the frame horns today and ready to make a couple more cuts before i weld it back up i'm not sure how everyone does theirs but it took me about an hour to do my measuring and initial cuts.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #230

dropped the front horns 3 inches and cut off both of the brackets on the right and left side of the frame. i ended up taking out 3/4 of an inch on the horns so i have to move the cab mounts back too. i figured since i will be doing some work to get the steering box back to where it was i should just do right hand drive. i looked around seen a couple people mount the gearbox on the right side but notched out the frame for it to fit. i think that isn't very practical seeing as how it would offset the pitman arm and move the centerlink further to the right side. some rought cuts with the plasma i need a steady hand i guess and the garage floor isn't level so the frame wont sit flat but i'm getting closer.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #231
Beams for the HATERS

Attention to detail to the T! Real nice man
Old 12-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #232

thanks lowrange i am trying working at it everyday now i would like to think thats why its taking so long haha. got more filler plates done on the horns i bought another steering box for my right hand drive for an llv or postal vehicle which is a rhd s10 frame. i had to go to the post office to take a look and get their part number. when it comes in and i start doing the mods to the frame i will take some pics along the way because i know i had a tough time finding info on it just for reference. i just need more cutoff wheels and to grind off some paint to tack the frame supports up so my frame doesnt tweak while i cut out the frame. plasma would come in handy if it wasn't painted. also if leaving a portion of the stock frame the c channel that wraps around the inside of the frame does hold the truck up about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch at least on mine

Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #233
Beams for the HATERS

Man mines taken me a long time. But there's light somewhere in that dang tunnel. At least that's what I keep hearing. Just all the details and tedious crap that no one ever seems to mention lol
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #234

yeah i hear you. i used to have an 84 ranger i was working on it for about a year and i bought the s10 everyone gave me crap about the ranger and then the motor took a crap so i never had motivation to fix it. i wish i would have i love the box style of the older fords.

got a little welding done on the rhd setup but still deciding on how to make it clean without taking up a ton of space. here is where i am at so far.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #235
FL member

use a rack and pinion
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #236
DELIBERATE DESIGNS

Quote: Originally Posted by bearlakecustoms
use a rack and pinion
That's what I would do also. But finding a narrow enough one would be tough.

Hit up Dr. Pepper or GETBORED on here. They put a narrow rack in peppers truck, he might be able to give ya some more info.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #237

yeah i was already having a tough time finding a rack and pinion for it thats why i had went with the llv gearbox sometime i get in a rush to buy things before i back out of the idea haha. got some work done on the mount i'm battling some kind of stomach flu so i'm not very motivated for anything but i got this done yesterday.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #238

and a little more i got done today. welding up the mounting plate for the steering box so i can cut to fit on the frame still needs to get welded up. not having tools to bend 3/16 makes this no fun!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #239

alright feeling a little better. did some welding today got the steering box mount all welded up and the rest of the top side of the mount for the idler arm just need to air up the frame and do some work on the bottomside. you can tell where i start and stop my welds i should be trailing it back but i welded up both sides and did filler tacks over that when i had grinded the mount smooth. i was hammering this curve into it and you can still see where i was hitting it.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #240

a little more grinding and i cut off a crossmember that i had welded up about a year ago that i never fully removed probably because it sucked balls. got that removed some paint and i welded up the cab section support under the frame and also welded mounts to about 8 spots on the frame to prevent it from tweaking when i cut the center section out i was just going to leave the supports underneath but i always end up bracing more than needed anyways. last picture shows where the frame steps down about 3/16 and levels out towards the front from that point back it does not touch the ground

if anyone has tips on different front shock mount locations let me know i am using the sd arms for my limiting strap. was thinking about going to the forward side of the lower arm and mounting the shock between the top arm but i'm pretty sure when aired up it will pinch between the frame and arm.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #241

Wow. Awesome build man. Going to be checking back in here more often. Don't know how I missed this.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #242

thanks nater appreciate it! i been working on it today got the majority of the frame cut out just have some grinding to do and some more cutting. the braces near the tranny crossmember took me a little while i didn't know how to approach cutting that section out but if you cut within about a half in from the top and bottom of the inside of the frame you can see how its setup right there. the lip on the back is pretty crappy too still need to cut that off just ran out of cutting wheels. i ended up using like 15 wheels i braced up a little more than i should of where the c channel starts on the rear.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #243

done a crap load of grindin and cutting but it's getting closer need more cutoff wheels and some 3/16 steel hopefully i can finish up the mid section of the frame by the end of this week probably not though i been getting burned out quick lately. enclosed the 3 x 3 for the frame front and back still have to grind down the rear a little where i started boxing the rear clip. buffed the metal where i will be welding so i am pretty close to tacking the tubing in.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #244

still working taking longer than i thought with the section of the frame but its coming together nicely still need to finish the rear section filler plates and a little more reinfocement to the front.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #245

made a few more filler plates for added strength and tomorrow i am going to have the machine shop drill me some larger holes for my left side filler where the gas tank support goes because i have nothing to drill a hole as big as i need drilled. todays progress.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #246

still putting in work a little slow lately but had a buddy come over give me a hand thanks lonnie. i put the cab on to get some measurements before i cut mounts. about ready to beef up the transitions and then filler panels on stock frame.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #247

a little more for today cut off front cab mounts and made some filler plugs for the stock frame where the bolts for the tranny crossmember went and fitted the caps a little better. tomorrow i think i am taking the beef up plates to the plasma guys i don't want to cut and grind anymore.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #248
bodydropped dakota

well what happened?!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #249

Josh what's up buddy!? Lets see some progress!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.