Still living up to my username - Page 6 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Still living up to my username

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #251
-------------

User is: OffLine
Re: Still living up to my username

It's funny when I was driving it around it definitely got a lot more looks from people with the new tags on it than it used to.

Also I don't know if it mentioned it before but man does it drive so much better with these wheels and tires. No rubbing anywhere. I still need to do a notch for the rear axle but overall it rides really nice now.

I have actually even started selling off all my various air ride parts that I had been collecting. The more I thought about it the happier I am about just keeping it static. The whole theme of this truck basically revolves around just being drop dead simple, bare bones transportation. And I'm ok with keeping it that way for now. I do have some plans for it though once I can get a little money to play with, so stay tuned.

Also I think I mentioned before that we were going to be having another little one, well we just found out that it's going to be a girl... Lord help me.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #252
Maybe later.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #253

Man, its been a long time since I have been on the board! I always check your thread when I get on here though.

You and I have the same cars in our driveways now! My wife drives a 2000 Tahoe. We love it!! Its not a Z71 but has many of the same options that yours has. We just drove it almost 1500 miles from Virgina to our new home in Texas and man was it a comfy drive!! My S10 is on a transport truck headed this way soon. I really wish I would have bought your Xtreme wheels before we left. I loved the look of those on your truck.

Glad to see your S10 is still cruisin' the streets of Chesapeake.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #254
-------------

Yup still cruising! I still have the Xtremes and I have been seriously debating keeping or selling them. But honestly I am just so in love with the Monte Carlo wheels on this truck I donít know if I could ever go back.

But as an update It's obviously been a while since I have posted but everything is good. Unfortunately my truck budget has been slashed into the negative numbers. That is I have been spending truck money on other necessities lately instead of saving it up for truck parts. Although I am sure that there are plenty of folks who can empathize with that situation. But long story short baby #3 will be here probably sometime next month (hopefully not sooner) so it has been the usual rush to get things prepared. And in the midst of that life goes on and the house breaks and the other car needs new tires... etc.. etc...

But I am still driving the beater. It's still running great and I am still daydreaming about what I can do with it next. Especially since right now I literally have no money to spend on it anymore. I would really like to get it lower but I honestly don't know how other than Łber expensive coil overs, air ride, or just cutting the coil springs (drop control arms are not a valid option). The truck already has a 5/6 drop on it but by virtue of the fact that it is a stripped down 4cyl it's so light that it just doesn't sit as low as other trucks do with the same drop. I'm not looking for much maybe another 1/2" up front just so it is more level with the rear which does actually sit a little lower when the shocks aren't pumped up. Otherwise I still need to do some body rust repair, and fix other little minor things on it. I recently dug a hole in the pile of crap in my garage so I could get the truck back in there. I am hoping that seeing it in there will inspire me to actually do something with it.

Oh also the tonneau cover is done. The wind flipped it down hard onto an oversized load while I was putting it into the truck and it cracked a corner, bent the aluminum frame, and pretty much destroyed both hinges. I mostly straightened it back out but I'm just over it at this point. Besides I just haul way too much stuff with the truck and constantly installing and removing it was getting to be kind of a pain in the ass. I'll probably just clean it up the best I can and try to sell it locally really cheap.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #255
Maybe later.

Quote: Originally Posted by Slow_S10

Oh also the tonneau cover is done. The wind flipped it down hard onto an oversized load while I was putting it into the truck and it cracked a corner, bent the aluminum frame, and pretty much destroyed both hinges. I mostly straightened it back out but I'm just over it at this point. Besides I just haul way too much stuff with the truck and constantly installing and removing it was getting to be kind of a pain in the ass. I'll probably just clean it up the best I can and try to sell it locally really cheap.
Had something similar happen on my Xtreme. That sucks.

Glad to hear everything is working out alright.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #256

That sucks about the bed cover. I really liked the look of that thing on your truck.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #257
-------------

Yeah I still have it and it can definitely be fixed, but honestly I'm at the point where it's just not worth the effort right now. Although if I can't sell it I'll probably just find somehwere to stash it and maybe someday I'll find the time to repair it.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #258

I can understand it being a pain when you want to haul stuff. I am always throwing junk in the bed of my truck that would never fit if I had a tonneau cover.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #259
-------------

Yeah, and even if I had the original quick release hinges it probably wouldn't have been a very big deal but the hinges that I was using were attached with 6 bolts that I had to remove every time I took the cover off.

So for now at least it's gone. But I think I am going to save up my pennies and go ahead and do a spray in bed liner for now. I just can't decide if I want to go over the rails or not. Normally I wouldn't to keep it looking cleaner but the rails are already pretty swiss cheesed with holes and rust. Honestly that is the reason that I have also seriously considered looking for another bed because otherwise it's pretty straight and clean.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #260
-------------

Ok so I don't really have anything to update with my truck but I figured I would throw out some of the other stuff that has been happening lately. The truck is in the garage right now just waiting on some free time so I can tinker with it. I have a few small things that I want to do with it, like cleaning up some wiring and maybe reworking my current audio setup. And heaven forbid I am able get my hands on a welder and/or a plasma cutter I might just cut a giant hole in my bumper and stick an exhaust tip through it... this is something I have been considering for a while.

But right now my nieces are visiting from out of town and mostly staying with us. Although they are also staying with their Grandparents (my in-laws) who live about a mile away. But their parents are living in California right now and we haven't seen them for like 2 years. So it is nice to have them around, but as I am sure you can imagine if you add a set of 8 year old twin girls into my family along with a wife who is about ready to pop any day now... free time is basically a dream at this point. Any time I do get to myself is pretty much spent recovering from everything else.

Oh and something else that i never mentioned is that I picked up a new set of wheels for my Civic not too long ago. When I took it to get inspected a few months back it passed but just barely. Apparently the tires were shot with really bad cupping on the rears. I have known that they were in poor shape for a while but I didn't realize they were that bad. But the car passed inspection but only just barely. The guy said it basically passed on a technicality but it really needed new tires like yesterday. So long story short I was quoted right around $600 to get a set of no name tires installed from a few different shops around here and I decided to explore my options some more. And it turns out that through Discount Tire Direct I was able to find a nice set of wheels and tires that would be shipped for free directly to me already mounted and balanced for like $660. Needless to say I jumped at that deal. The only thing that I lost was the factory tire pressure sensors, but they are not required in this state and I can work a tire pressure gauge... that's less than a big deal to me.

The Tahoe I also haven't done much with but after looking at it the other day I just had to ditch that factory roof rack. Most racks are ugly but this one took ugly to a whole new level. Don't get me wrong it looks extremely functional but since we never have a reason to use a roof rack on her truck either, it had to go. And I think the truck looks so much better now without it, especially from the back. It doesn't look like much in pictures but in person it makes a huge difference.

Oh and I also discovered the other day that the Tahoe has a coil spring rear suspension. I didn't even give it a second thought when we bought the truck but when I was researching what it would take to lower it a couple inches I couldn't for the the life of me find drop shackles... and then I discovered why. LOL, I would still like to lower the rear a couple inches to at least level it out with the front but it is a lot harder to justify $400 drop coils than $50 shackles. LOL, oh well.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #261
The S-10 Sensation

User is: Online

I'd just take the sensors out of your old wheels and put them in the new ones
Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #262
-------------

I thought about that too and when I looked into it I found out that the factory sensors can't be installed directly into aftermarket wheels. There are adapter kits that you can buy that basically strap the factory sensor to the inside of an aftermarket wheel with a large band. or I could get aftermarket sensors and then pay to have them programed to the car but either way it just wasn't worth the extra effort or cost. When it comes time to change out the tires again I might look into either swapping the factory sensors over or springing for some aftermarket ones. But for now I am just going to keep the original wheels in the garage that way in case I ever decide to pull the sensors out of them or sell the car I'll still have them.

*edit
Like This... and it's basically just a big ass hose clamp which to me seems like a cheap ghetto rig
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #263
Maybe later.

The tahoes look a ton better without the roof rack. Very nice.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #264

[/QUOTE]Oh and I also discovered the other day that the Tahoe has a coil spring rear suspension. I didn't even give it a second thought when we bought the truck but when I was researching what it would take to lower it a couple inches I couldn't for the the life of me find drop shackles... and then I discovered why. LOL, I would still like to lower the rear a couple inches to at least level it out with the front but it is a lot harder to justify $400 drop coils than $50 shackles. LOL, oh well.[/QUOTE]

I have the same issue with my wifes Tahoe. I think I am going to go the opposite way of your thinking and get some torsion keys for the front to lift it a couple of inches to match the back. I just threw on some bigger tires so it could use a small amount of lift to look good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.