S-10 Forum banner

Stewzer's Project

12K views 150 replies 27 participants last post by  01BlueZQ8 
#1 ·
Well I figured I should do a project thread on my truck since there is so much I , want to do with it (and I would love some advice). Because I am such a slacker, I have no pics as of now and I have already started into the work. I bought a 94 S10 2.2 5-speed with an extended cab somehow it also is a 3 door....

So far I have changed the vacuum lines, thermostat, flushed the cooling system, put in a K&N air filter, fixed the heater, installed ventshades, and removed some vinyl graphics from the sides. Its going to need some body work and paint, bumper repair, interior overhaul new audio and more.

I'd like to go with ZQ8 suspension, power windows and locks, new steering wheel soft tonneau cover and a couple other things, I will try to get pics up as soon as I can. Oh and I do have pics of the graphics I removed but can't upload them at this time.

#3 ·
I should have them up by tomorrow afternoon, I have class in the morning...

#4 · (Edited)

They are removed, I may get more pics of the beast later.

#5 ·
Damn, I just noticed how off the bed is from the cab...

#7 ·
I am not unbolting an S10 bed ever again without air power, Last summer I took the bed off of my brother's long bed with a 1/2" drive ratchet and 2 guys lifting it to change the fuel pump. Lets just say those bolts seem long... It will be a while until I can get to that, I should take more pics of it, hopefully soon I can go to an open enough area of campus to take the pics.

#8 ·
No new updates, it's serving as my "daily" since I have it here on campus and I'm kept busy by my school work and work study jobs.

#9 ·
Pics are coming tonight, hope to get a lot of small things taken care of today.

#10 ·
Okay, so I finally got some pics of the truck:

As you can see, my boss is in the background.
Guess whats under the cover?

How its a '94 with a third door...

Damages

Bumper

Clear peeling

Rust and Dents

Cowl

Sway Bar endlinks

Exhaust leak

Parts!

#14 ·
Thats what he said... But in all seriousness it will spend some time in the body shop over summer and new color scheme, somewhat similar to Harley-Davidson Edition Fords, but with a twist.

Right now its my daily because I need to move all of my stuff home for summer soon, other than that I got a bump in MPG by easy fixes, it was getting 17, now its back over 20.

#15 ·
I am going to go ahead and gimp some pics of what I want it to look like.

#16 ·
Well I'm not so great with GIMP, funny because I can edit video on FCP like its my job. Two completely different animals. Anyhow, the black parts are going to stay black, red is going to go to a Persian Orange and the lower lines will be black.

#17 ·
Well I have my head pipe re-welded and its nice and quiet in the cab, with a decent for a four banger burble out the back, tomorrow is A/C recharge day and a pick-n-pull trip soon too.

Recently I have replaced the door speakers too with Kicker DS60's and will be putting a pair of Kicker 4x6's I have had for a year. I want to replace the old Pioneer DEH-17 with something with more features and better looking, and adding a powered sub for some bass, maybe an Infinity Basslink.

Aside from that, I am starting my "custom project" soon on the truck, It will be ghetto-tastic and probably done before but I am still looking forward to it.

#19 ·
It's all being held up by cash. I need a new radiator, has a slow leak since I had it, but it runs great overall. Going to change hoses and water pump and maybe e-fan too. This weekend I should be getting my drop in liner.

#20 ·
Well little bit of an update, Drop-in liner is installed, and makes a big difference on the look of the bed. Last fill up got 27 MPG, which made me quite happy, even though I have a 5 speed Cavi that gets maybe 35MPG if I drive it like I stole it.

In the past I have thought I would like to keep the split bench (because its easier to get a little road action without a console in the way) but have decided on buckets and a console.

I want to paint the wiper arms, I know that will we something I can do in a short amount of time. Plus, its been driving me crazy.

Clean and polish the wheels is on my list, as well as some new centers.

A proper A/C Delete, I had my system charged and the shaft seal on the compressor was bad, so I had 5 minutes of cold air. This may not happen though, I may just overhaul the system.

New Carpet, mine is not in good shape, there are what looks like chemical burns behind the driver's seat.

Body work, the bottom of the third door is rusted as can be seen, and there is no repair parts that I have been able to find for it, there are some small rust bubbles in the right rear cab corner and on the rockers and the wrinkle in the bed.

New Bumpers, I's like to go with a 98+ front and just replace the back, I'd go ahead and put some small signals hidden in the grille.

Thanks to the forum, I have been able to get the knowledge to do other things that I want to do like the flaming river u-joint and wire the headlights with relays foe more brightness.

Well it's late and my insomnia is waning.

#21 ·
I'd probably do a 98+ rear bumper too. Or if money is tight, roll pans are cheaper.

Don't even bother buying the 98+ valance, your 94-97 valance is in good shape and looks fine bolted to a 98+ bumper.

If you need to take the bed in for that dent, have them weld in the holes for the 94-97 bumper caps.

I'd also get an estimate on the dent, and the price of a new/junkyard bed. Sometimes you find really good deals. Third door is toast.

That's a cool paint scheme, I also like your idea for a new paint.

I can't see in the pictures how bad the cab corners are, might be able to grind with 36 grit and coat them in chassis saver, if they are not rusted through.

Your under carriage needs Chassis saver, awesome stuff, stops and prevents rust pretty effectively.

#23 ·
I have an S10 parts guy close and being a military brat I know a handful of body guys too.
I may go ahead with a 98+ front valence since I am in Ohio and we have to have a front plate, plus my plate bracket it for another type of bumper, but so is the one on my brothers dime.
I have thought about the 98+ rear bumper, and I like the look of a roll pan, but the step bumper helps me a little, I broke the right side of my pelvis when I was 15 in a bike accident.
Done some looking on a new bed in my area, they got from about 250+ so i was thinking replace the bedside, or trade with someone bagging their truck, since they would hack up the bed any way.
N8rSk8r talked me into using aluminum colored chassis saver, just waiting on cash really.
The third door still closes properly as as of now, we will see what I can get done once I don't need it to move back to school.

#25 ·
Yeah, just the third door, the rest of the body is really solid.

#26 ·
Well I decided that I am going to go for a Ram Jet 350, I can get a 4 bolt main block easy. So the Ram Jet Injection with aluminum Vortec heads, upgrade the trans to a NV3500 and the 8.5 inch posi rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.