SolsTen - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

SolsTen

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
SolsTen

D^3 - Diesel Draged Daily

Hypocrisy - going for something completly different. looking to put a 4cyl diesel 3.9 Isuzu out of a NPR box truck, or maybe a cummins if i can work something out!

Hi, I'm Ben but my family and friends call me Buckshot or Buck. originaly from Michigan, yep motor city gear head! I relocated to Indiana to work for Cummins. I do R&D on midrange injectors ISL, soon to move into Service Engineering Midrange.

Past Projects,
Yamaha Banshee: powdercoated everything, put all of the good go fast parts, but on a budget.

99 Ford Ranger, twisted torsions, 31 nitto all terrains beat to hell! rolled twice!

2008 Dodge Nitro, painted interior plastics to match.

2010 Ram, traded in nitro in oct 2010, stock... for now

On to the "turd"
I drive 60 miles round trip to work so I wanted to buy a reliable POS to get me back and forth to keep the miles off of my nice vehicle, and save on gas. found on craigslist from a guy in Ohio, he had bagged it so I take no responsability in the cobbling together. RE 7 front RE 6 rear, sd cups, Shit valves.. but they have 80,000 on em... mono leafed with 5" blocks.. real shit.. but it let me drive a bagged truck for a while until I can afford to start a project, and so I would know if I liked it. so far I aquired the slimtop bed cover, 20's that you see here, red and black seats recovered bucket seats, Dom II 2600 bags, not yet in, and a set of stock rims, I've removed the inner fenders, made my own airfilter adapter, moved the tank and comp from under the bed into the bed.. it is about 1/2 inch from laying out, still has swaybar and needs the cups cut. I've put 40,000 on it and beat the piss out of it..

hauling my broke up rear patio... lol cracked a block and replaced a week later.. lol Cheap Shit!

currently it's parked i keep getting no bumper tickets... damn cops. so i've been working on cutting down a full size chevy rear bumper to make a bumper/ rollpan look. I am also painting the rims so that they are white in the middle with a alum lip.. will post more pics.

Direction: keeping mileage and daily communting in mind I am tring to do things in steps.

Step 1
>>continue to cut things out of the front to lay on my 20's, minus tubs.. those will come when i do the engine swap, and SFBD.

>>looking at back half ideas, playing with a underslung or IRS to do a "under pan" to reduce wind drag under the truck, all the while trying not to spend a fortune.

Step 2
>>drive until the lil 2.2 lets go then find and put a 4cyl diesel engine in it.

>> SFBD as low as i can without having to run a cowl or butthole in my hood.

here is a little sketch i made when i was bored at work.. i am no artist!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #2

re: SolsTen

Where at in Indy are you?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #3

south side... you commin to steal all my shit? lol I know a few guys down here, we all bashed up to slamology together and I bitched out on camp & drag... big regret!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
eco-ten

why not go 6.6 duromaxx and keep it all Chevy?, i know you work for cumm-a-parts but i think fitting a Cummings under the hood of an s10 is going to be real damn hard and the duros are a more compact package. anyway just mt .02 cents love the idea of going diesel and hope to see it come together
Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by BDT00Buckshot
south side... you commin to steal all my shit? lol I know a few guys down here, we all bashed up to slamology together and I bitched out on camp & drag... big regret!
Hahaha, no.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by bagged83dime
why not go 6.6 duromaxx and keep it all Chevy?, i know you work for cumm-a-parts but i think fitting a Cummings under the hood of an s10 is going to be real damn hard and the duros are a more compact package. anyway just mt .02 cents love the idea of going diesel and hope to see it come together
the duromaxx.. as u put it is actualy a Izusu / GM joint venture.. I believe. so not completely chevy. the V8 design is in no way any more compact to a I4 i would have alot of issues fitting a V8 diesel in between the frame rails, and would not get any better mileage! check this stuff out...

http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/index.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644588

http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-...bd1t-swap.html

the Cummins i would put under the hood would also be a I4 similar to the Isuzu.. it all depends on $$ and availability.. but the older 4B cummins has balancing issues.. they run a balance shaft in the oil pan looks like two roots blowers hanging down. this would add alot of height that i cannot take out of the oil pan.. I would like to get my hands on a newer 4B that has common rail and they fixed the balancing issues..

I hope to be able to section the Izusu oil pan to lower the engine more. then add an axilary tank to add the oil volume back.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
eco-ten

I hope to be able to section the Izusu oil pan to lower the engine more. then add an axilary tank to add the oil volume back.

ya thats what i did with my engine swap sectioned the pan then added kickouts at the rear to regain oil capacity, iv seen duros in cutless's and chevelle's that's why i thought it would fit well, but you seem to have it all worked out in your head so run with it good luck in the project I'm subscribed
Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #8

hey guys! This thing is going to take off pretty quick here so stay tuned!!! I have a destructive idea on how to get the teardown started and will post videos hopefully this weekend! Got the BIG PROMOTION!! i've been working on, and start next year so $$$ should start flowing.

here are some shots of the wheels that I started painting, going to paint the center cap also... lemme know what you think! they will be powdercoated one day but for now the paint was on clearance so why pass it up!

a few more pics b4 I tear into things! I'm selling the Bed, tailgate, and taillights would like to see it all go together... will post in the forsales when i get it off!

My lil truck and big truck.... got a fund going for each... and each is going the opposite direction!!! and the pile of rocks is for the back patio which also has a fund going for it... too many projects!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
when in doubt lay it out

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Meh Dingus

i like those wheels
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by blazinblack
i like those wheels
Thanks!! I picked them up for $300... I had bought a set of 20's for a full size and used spacers, but that was shady. Then I traded those for the slimtop bedcover and the stock wheels... it had some KMC 18s when I bought it but they were beat to shit.... sold those for 250 and then got these.. gotta love craigslist for wheeling and dealing...
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #12

Common guys need some opinions here!!

I'm looking at doing an underslung frame and swaying toward a parallel 4 link with a watts link... I think that this willl give me a bunch of space for putting a fuel cell and propane or CNG tank between... I will upload a sketch pic later...

Propane and CNG (compressed natural gas) can be used as a low cost fuel in diesel engines.... here are some good links

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/prog...laws.php/IN/NG

http://www.westport-hd.com/index.php

http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/

http://www.ecodieselinjection.com/index.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=natru...archBox&ie=&oe=
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!

having an underslung frame myself, i say options are almost unlimited. 4 link w/ watts would keep everything all symmetrical and very stout. you do have alot of little things to consider tho. since there is no notch, all the "normal" set-up functions you may have come to expect are almost backwards. just do alot of homework and keep many, many pics flowing
Old 12-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #14

So decided to start the project off with a bang... it didn't go exactly as planned.... but I have no excuses any more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eknUZF2RXEA

Sorry the sound sucks... off my buddies phone. It stalled in the very beginning because I slammed it in third and the engine wouldn't take it! Had to stop burning out in one place because traffic stopped on a four lane divided highway and didn't want the cops to come. Truck will not start, was hoping to see parts flying but, after I let off the throttle it just died. when I crank it I smell oil so I'm hoping I have a few melted pistons. I will take picks as I tear things down!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #15

CHOP CHOP NOMMM NOOMMMM !!!!

Old air setup... moved from under the bed and was just temp. the yellow hose is to fill tires, the yellow bottle was to add volume to the rear re6 boa setup.. really took that jolt out of bumps.

IN STORES NOW!!!!!!!

STORE A STEN
for those cold winter months when your sten needs to be conviently stored in limited space.

Gonna make the first run to the scrap yard today and hopefully get started on pulling the motor and trans... gonna try to get it all stripped down before christmas... we will see!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #16

Hey guys!

well i don't have any pics yet... nothing more really picture worthy..

Motor, Trans, Bed, rear frame, fuel tank, axle and some other BS have all been scrapped... not to bad... made about $600 in all...

I've got the cab off and the frame in the middle of the garage.. going to clean it up and work on getting my Dom 2600's to fit and lay.

I'm doing my research and going to have a ruff design up hopefully next week... looking at buying new bed sides and steel with the money I got from scrapping... i've got a donor truck I want to look at but will not have the money for it till taxes/bonus...

Stay tuned!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #17

OK guys need some input!!!!

I've got everything all apart.... took some good pics

Ok... here is a ruff drawing... i don't have any of my drafting stuff.. gave it to my dad.. so nothing is proportionate... looking to do parallel four link *stolen a little from Slappy* thanks for the good idea!!!! credit where credit is due... with a watts in the rear... hoping to have the links built... super piviots on the axle end and urethane on the pivots... give me some feed back... i'm hoping to have measurments soon... still playing with moving the cab back 1" and shortening the bed gap 1/2 "

the rear box is a toolbox/ fuel tank combo like you would put in the bed of a diesel truck... the air tanks and CNG (compressed natural gas) tanks i hope to put in the middle... with a drive shaft loop so they are safe...

Right now i've been working on getting the front to lay out... i've got to get upper offset ball joints, and come up with some swaybar links... and looking to cut and plate my lowers... from the shock relocators the lowers have cracked... do you think welding them would fix this? hoping to set the shocks into the frame.. and build a bracket... here's where that's at...

Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Saving for Turbo

Im from michigan also were abouts were you located?

This is my banshee.

[IMG]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/94s10/****ingsweet.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #19

grew up in rochester... went to college in Big rapids... we ride all over.. mostly upper pennisula.. but i rode alot in silver lake and around that side of the state when i was at school. I miss my banshee.. the raptor is strong but nothing kiks like a two stroke!

Yours looks clean!!! got any pics with plastic on it??
Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #20

hold on... Russ? your Jordan's (get low) buddy right?? Hows the army?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Saving for Turbo

hold on... Russ? your Jordan's (get low) buddy right?? Hows the army?
Ross yup im jordans buddy armys interesting haha. Yea ill get some pics of it with the plastics.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #22

OVER BODY DROPPED>>..

EXTRA BODY DROPPED>...

EXCESSIVELY BODY DROPPED>>>...

found this in the toy bin thought i would share...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #23

what happened to this? also what kind of wheels are those
Old 08-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by littledevil4802
what happened to this? also what kind of wheels are those
Not too much. I've got the engine and trans from a 99 Isuzu NPR box truck 280k miles. It had a knock. Broke the skirt on the piston. Gonna do a full rebuild. Pictures to come.

I've been playing with the front half of the frame. My lca's are cracked from the relocated shocks. So I've dehumped them but decided to get some arms.

I've got the 4.8 in the frame gonna need to mod the pan, get a turbo, and mate the two eng mounts together.

Next step is to set the cab on and see if I'm going to bd it. Not a fan of a cowl but we will see. I'll take some pics when I go to do that.

As for the delay. $$$ problems. New job. Engaged. And still remodeling the foreclosure we bought two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1314461207.754064.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1314461324.929782.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1314461543.792675.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #25

Oh. The wheels. Are akuza or something. I will look.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #26
9" strait pipes...

i know how ya feel! i just got married, still trying to put the new house together, put a 3 month dent in my truck, not that it matters, couple more years and my truck will be a 10 year project lol. i take it your a vdub mechanic? or did i read your sig wrong. i like the deisel idea, what do you think itll run in the 1/4? are you going to use it to haul at all, or do you just fancy them?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #27

Sorry guess I should have explained the Vdub.

I'm a engineer for Cummins. I'm a over educated diesel mechanic. I couldn't get the master ASE certified emblem right. Need to work on the sig.

I had my 2010 Ram for about 9 months and it ran me dry. So about a month ago I lost my a$$ on the truck and traded it for the Vdub, which is also a diesel. I went from getting 15 mpg to 42 mpg. And was able to keep my payment the same. I lost 8 grand in the process. That's why no progress on D^3 and blah blah.

The reason for the diesel in d^3 is to be different. And to get good mileage. I plan on running CNG compressed natural gas. Check out earlier posts. Ive put a bunch of links up. I plan on making about 350 horse. As for 1/4 mile times I'll have to let you know.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #28

Well I've got the motor sitting in the frame. Four issues one large two medium. Need a rear exhaust out turbo - shouldn't be a problem. The oil filter will not fit, rear lca chassis mount is in the way. Going to need to fab a remote mount oil filter or see if one is available (construction equipment) Oil pan will need to be modified. Here is the biggie. The starter is rear mounted high on the housing. More pics to come. I'm pretty sure it is going to be right where the throttle pedal is. I've got to do more research but it is rumored that the six cylinder is front low. We will see. I cut the trans tunnel out of the cab should be able to set it on tmrw or Sunday. more pix to come.
Attached Thumbnails
SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315015064.573249.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315017054.249064.jpg  
Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #29

Not sure y these didn't attach.
Attached Thumbnails
SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315017687.515090.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315017816.518123.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #30

Well the cab is on. I measured and put it about an inch back. This will help and align the wheels in the wheel well. I moved the motor up at least two inches it is at an angle because I will have to clearance the frame. Going to have to do something about the starter. A bd would kill the passenger wiper and no matter what a cowl hood is a must. So at the moment everything is on hold. Trying to pack it in will be a feat. Need to rub the magic lamp.

Pics will explain better.
Attached Thumbnails
SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315417990.018736.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315418085.315861.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315418319.789119.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315418420.249803.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315418543.176023.jpg  

Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #31

Well the good news is. I might be able to get the oil filter to fit.

A full frame build might be in order. But not for this guy. Not now. We will see what I can come up with. Might just biotch out and put a SBC in it. I did see a bad ass duromax with twin turbos from a grand national. That would fix the height and the trans was a 700r4 I think. There goes the mileage and originality. I'm sure I would have fitment issues with that too. We will see.
Attached Thumbnails
SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315419495.202242.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315419727.900465.jpg   SolsTen-imageuploadedbyautoguide1315419798.843088.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Super Saiyan User

lol that starter really kills the whole having a gas pedal thing huh.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonball98312
lol that starter really kills the whole having a gas pedal thing huh.
Maybe I should go with hand controls?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #34
Needs mo POWA!

you should find out a way to keep a diesel
Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #35

Quote: Originally Posted by Driveway Kustoms
you should find out a way to keep a diesel
Working on it. Here are some pics of the 6 cylinder version rear housing. Two issues come with it.

#1 where to get one.
#2 the housing is a sae 1 size. In hd trucks they have 1, 2, and 3 I believe. So now the trans I have will not fit. I'm not sure on flywheel and starter.

Good and bad news. I can sell it for around $2500 and they are very sought after. I think I can get a Allison that will fit.

Pics are on the computer will upload them shortly.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #36

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #37

Not sure how many people check this but what the hell.

Help me out here:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/c...-train-347206/

Might be the future to this failure.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #38
Honest Abe's Fab Shoppe

oh my..
Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #39

SolsTen

Trying to change the thread title. Did that work? If no anyone know how?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #40

Help me out here:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/c...-train-347206/

Might be the future to this failure.
Well. That died about as fast as it started. With s10 offset wheels the rear end was 75 inches wide. A stock c5 vette is around 73.5. The width of my cab is 67" at it's widest. I would have to do something like silvesten I think his profile is called.

I also could not find a manual trans for under $1200 so it would be pretty pricey.

So I sold the rear end and made a lil money.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #41

I've been really interested in bagged83dime's ecotec so I did a little research and bought a 2.4 variable valve engine out of a Pontiac solstice.

I've got everything I need to get it to run. ECM, fuse box, BCM, harness, fuel tank/ pump, gauge cluster. All for around 2 grand.

I also picked up a disc rear and hydro booster. Ordered arms, 4 link and watts from MMW, Taylor's building a custom parallel like I wanted above.

I've started to build my frame and planned on getting some good progress this weekend but got wrapped up in hunny-do's.

STFU Pics!!

No chance the ac comp is fitting.

My huge hole from the diesel made it fit easy for mock up!!

Setting up to cut the frame.

Unloading the welder

And make sure to wear PPE!!!! I know I'm ugly.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #42

I went with the VVT 2.4 because they are cheaper than the turbo or supercharged 2.0, 2.2.

With the VVT you can tune it to get the turbo to spool faster at lower end.

There are guys on solstice forum that are getting 350 to 450 Hp, supercharged or turbo'd And with a e85 tune you can get the best of both worlds. So I'm shopping but we will see if I do a turbo this early.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #43
Longbeds FTMFW

Re: SolsTen

i love the idea of the ecotec.

I would do that before I ever swapped another SBC into 1 of these trucks..
Old 04-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #44

why dont you try a 4BT i see those swapped into trucks alot
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by daedaestoy
i see those swapped into trucks alot
the "alot" factor. I even work for Cummins. The engine to use would be an ISF 2.8 or 3.8 Cummins. They put them in all kinds of small trucks all over the world except here. A guy at work has one in a TJ Jeep. Payed a pretty penny tho. Common rail and they don't shake as bad. Don't worry. The Isuzu will be used for another project down the road. (slammed suburban, or four door)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #46

Don't worry. The Isuzu will be used for another project down the road. (slammed suburban, or four door)

sweet!!! cant wait to see that!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #47

Quote: Originally Posted by daedaestoy
sweet!!! cant wait to see that!!!
Yeah don't hold your breath on that one. It won't be for a while.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #48

Well I've just about got everything for the engine. Need to swap the ECM as I got the wrong year.

Need a little opinion here. Should I leave the bottom of the frame or set the tube all the way down? I picked up some flat plate thinking I would leave it. I'll take better photos tonight.

I welded two of my rails together to get them square and that has now turned into a table and I'm going to use my other rails to start the frame and build the cross member and engine mounts while it is up off the ground.

There was an extra plate where the triangle trans support was so I cut that out to make it lay completely flat. Had a hard time with those center supports but nothing some extra cutting couldn't help.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #49

Well its been a lil bit, seems that no one is really checking this out but, I'll keep updating for myself.

I got both rails welded in. Used the plate steel and set them on the frame.

Started to mock up my trans cross member. Ordered Polly end bushings for motor mounts to fab those.

Ordered comps, tank, body fillers, and manual valves from gauge mag. Thanks guys!

Will be getting the four link and arms from MMW next week. Taylor is the only one I'll buy from now on, the only one who would build my 4-link. At a unbeatable price too!

I've now got all of the right stuff for the Eco. Originally was given a trans controller for an automatic, then a 07-09 ECM.

I haven't been in the garage as much as I wanted but my timeline has expanded a little, as I didn't take the job I interviewed for in Chicago.

I've definitely been doing a good job of spending money!! Bought an air comp so I could borrow a plasma cutter. Also got a paint gun. Hoping to learn to paint and save some money!!!

Decided I'm going to try to not mod the oil pan:

There is maybe an inch I could take out of the front to move it forward, but I don't think I will need to with moving the cab back. Height is more of an issue. I need to put the cab back on and see how much I can BD to see what's worth while.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #50

good to see progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.