Slow build DD - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Slow build DD

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
54F0N

User is: OffLine
Slow build DD

In the interest of actually getting something done for once... and not selling yet another vehicle just because I'm bored with it (8th vehicle since I turned 18; never wrecked all sold to buy a different one) I decided to start a build thread. Not to mention that I'm hoping to network a bit with people who may have parts that I want / need, get ideas for things that I'm not sure about, and keep an active 'to do' list...

So about the truck:
98 S10 Extended Cab, 2.2 5 speed, 365,000
Only problems with it is a bad wire going to the EGR from the PCM, a picky O2 sensor, and a couple rust holes

Since I've had it:
Motor rebuild
Ebay Cold Air (no intake on it when I got it)
New mirrors with 'stealth' Led blinkers / running lights (wiring still isn't done right)
Put power leather seats out of blazer in but the upholstery is crap (mainly just wanted the rails anyway...)
New carpet
Sound system upgrade
Started painting all of the charcoal trim flat black
fiberglass tonneau cover
jump seat box (not quite finished yet... first time fiberglassing!)

Things I plan on doing in the near future:
2/3 drop with spindles and blocks
Install a rollpan
Got some regular ole American Racing rims I need to clean up and paint
tailgate handle relocate
new seats
halo heads / led park and tails
paint

I'm also kind of thinking about shaving the door handles... but not entirely sold on that idea yet.. we'll see what sort of progress I make first.

And now, since you all like pics so much... a nice stock s10...

My flush mount with my new deck... doesn't look as good as the old one.

My amp rack...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Mafia Customz

Re: Slow build DD

i love boss audio that what i use
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Meh Dingus

Quote: Originally Posted by mafiacustomz
I had a boss flipscreen and other than the fact it powered the shit out of my door speakers I hated it. The 7 inch monitor gave out on me after about 6 months, not the motor but the acutal display. About 2 weeks ago, the whole thing just quit working. I checked all the fuses and sources and nothing happened. Wouldnt recommend that pos
Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #4

If you decide to shave the handles (and Locks), be sure to put outside jumpers in case the battery dies. Looks like a good platform for a sweet build!!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
54F0N

@mafiacustomz Boss audio is the shit... As long as you read the rms and then take off a little bit. But even with all that subtraction if you compare to Alpine, Pioneer... almost any name brand; they still beat their price. I don't know why they don't just advertise the true RMS... but I guess it helps sell. And the new lines always look so sleek. I had everything but the cap in my truck as Boss audio up until a week ago... Now I have an Xplod deck for some strange reason...

@Cleetuss Sounds like a plan. I've also heard of people using float chargers through the trailer wires to get them open... maybe a myth but idk.
It is super clean for a Wisconsin truck. Surface rust on the frame, a hole in the front bumper filler thing, and the bottom of the third door is shot... but cab corners and rockers are in good shape yet.
My favorite thing about it though... the mileage. I love the look when I tell people. And when they still don't believe me and I have to show them lol.

@blazinblack You know Boss has a 1 year warranty on all their stuff right? It costs you like $25 to get it there and back but still a free repair otherwise. Also, I've seen a lot of those slide outs fail... especially Dual.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Mafia Customz

if you get your boss stuff new it works great my brother had a 7 inch DD for almost 2 years befor someone broke into his car and yea their products are sleek im going all boss phantom in my caprice you cant beat that price even under rms watt
Old 02-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #7

thats gota be close to a record for miles on a s10. lol
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
54F0N

Quote: Originally Posted by Woody22
thats gota be close to a record for miles on a s10. lol
And it's had most of it's front end rebuilt, (original) motor rebuilt, and this spring should be getting paint. Don't think I'll be tearing down to frame just yet... but once I get my ass in gear and get through school... I would love to turn it into a show truck.

I'm currently running the Phantom 2500M, Riot 400.4, P10DVC, OHC 6.5s, and I had an 825CA headunit but the RCAs crapped out on me. Probably my fault but I can't run tweets off of it anymore... stupid ground loop. It all sounds pretty good except that the sub is a little underpowered. I had two different ones in my wish list on Amazon and grabbed the wrong one.

If you get your subs from Boss I highly recommend breaking them in with test tones. Pretty much any non brand name sub these days... seems like I throw them in and they sound great until an 808 drop... def need to be stretched out a bit before that.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
54F0N

I also forgot to mention the custom cowl hood I have.
Some guy was selling it on CL. He just chopped the hood down the middle, raised it with supports and went to town with some bondo... but my brother will fix it... someday!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
I own <several ties>

Quote: Originally Posted by mafiacustomz
wouldn't have a boss audio unless it was about free.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
54F0N

Why not?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
54F0N

Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
Mafia Customz

people think if it dont cost 1000 a sub 1500 amp and 2500 head unit its not any good dumb ass people the best thing in life are free
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #14
54F0N

I grew up the same way... Back in the day if they weren't JLs or Rocks you might as well have nothing... but when you grow up and realize that $9 an hour barely covers rent and food... you start to explore other options... I tried VR3's stuff; Pyle; Pyramid; I know there's others... and then I found Boss. My s*** sounds clean as hell... and between the sub, two amps, and components only cost me... $250. Of course the new head unit helped a lot but even that was only $140. It doesn't have to be expensive to look/sound nice.

Back to my project...

Ordered 2/3 drop, gauges, rollpan & handle relocator (rollpan is on...),
Next up is the Big Three... my amps need a bit more power. I've got some cheap 4awg on right now... but it's just not quite enough... going to 0awg... but have to slow down on stuff for a bit so I can get my body work done. Found another rust spot or two... One is really bad in the passenger side rocker. I actually wound up sticking my finger through it on accident. Wish I was a better welder. Really need to find a new 3rd door too.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
54F0N

Okay so...

I finally got around to doing something on my truck... Parts have been stacking up for the last 2 weeks and I was sick of looking at them. So I shaved the tailgate. And I have to say... I impressed myself. The only thing that didn't go well for me was where the tailgate has the little dip in it right above the handle. I didn't sand down the filler quite enough there. You can't feel it and no one has said a word. I can just see the shadow and it bugs the crap out of me... so at some point I'll fix it but probably not until I'm ready to paint the whole thing. Sorry I don't have pics of it yet but I will get some asap.

As far as parts stacking up go...
White gauge faces / reverse glow
door hinge pin & bushing kit (i even splurged on the proper spring tool)
My 2/3 drop (just waiting for spring)
Billet grill insert
door actuators and poppers
Thrush turbo 'vintage' muffler
And my cowl hood (needs work; see below)

This winter definitely took a toll on my s10... Going to need more bodywork than I thought... If anybody has a lead on any of these parts please let me know...
Rear door filler (bottom) or a rear door shell
Passenger rocker -ish (I think it's more on the wall of the ext)
Front bumper

So... the cowl hood. Picked this up from a guy on CL back when I first got the truck... traded him some crap I got for cheap. So it was damn near free. All his ad said was that it was an s10 cowl hood. I didn't know it was homemade right away. But I wound up getting it anyway. Cause I drove like an hour to check it out.
He said he made it for his gf's blazer and she didn't like it. Well you can see why. He obviously never finished the filler work; I'm pretty sure thats house paint. Lots of work to be done on it... I like his idea it just needs to be completed. Going to sand it down as far as possible (he didn't even scuff the clear before painting). Try to even out the curves in the cowl itself... And finish and grind the welds on the inside. This is probably going to take some time... might not even be worth it but as much as I enjoyed shaving the tailgate I'm hoping this will get me going as well.

Bottom side... didn't even finish welding... Should I add some small supports from the cowl to the hood?

Between the cowl and the frame of the hood

Not sure if you can see the curves or not

Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #16

What kind of rear pan is that?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
54F0N

Bought it on ebay. Manufacturer is street n show... Dont remember the ebay store... But the guy was from alabama and super friendly and easy to work with.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
54F0N

So I did some work on the hood today. Man, the guy I got that thing from is a serious tool. But I'm not mad... I'm actually enjoying this a lot. But back to him being a tool... I gave him way more credit than he deserves. I thought he just cut down the middle, welded in some metal cut to the right shape and did body filler on it. No. Turns out he tack welded everything with 4" plus gaps between each weld... then fiberglassed, then did body filler. And he used A LOT of body filler. Never even scuffed the clear coat... uck. I may need some tips from some body workers on this thing. I thought about just tossing it... but I kind of like the idea that it's completely custom and I can do pretty much anything I want with it. And like I said... I'm enjoying the work. But anyway... 3 hours of acetone and sanding later...

It's hard to see in the pic below but he cut all the way to the bottom of the hood (I assume so it didn't buckle and cause a dent at the bottom) and then filled it with resin. Should I leave that as it is or dig it all out and try to weld it up?

There's one big curve that will need to be filled. Otherwise just a couple small bumps left to sand out...

Top view
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #19
54F0N

Pics of the tailgate...

Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #20

Looks great so far man!

In all honestly, trying not to be harsh, the hood needs to go bye bye....

Its just a hood... And your gonna put countless hours into it, not to mention cost of supplies...needs to up bro!

Otherwise, looking forward to more updates! I think I wanna ditch my pan and get one like yours...looks nice
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
54F0N

Quote: Originally Posted by 1low4x4
Looks great so far man!

In all honestly, trying not to be harsh, the hood needs to go bye bye....

Its just a hood... And your gonna put countless hours into it, not to mention cost of supplies...needs to up bro!

Otherwise, looking forward to more updates! I think I wanna ditch my pan and get one like yours...looks nice
Please. Be harsh. I'm not like some of the other young guys on here. I like to learn about sh**. Nobody here to teach me... so I do it myself. The criticism afterwards is how I learn what I should / can do better. The flaming gets a little ridic on this site but f*** it it's the internet.

As far as the hood goes... I think I said before that I thought about tossing it. I've got about 4 1/2 hours into it so far... and about $20 worth of materials will be the total cost. So all in all this hood will cost me around $50 total. It won't be show quality... but it is just a daily driver and I'm enjoying the work. All the time I put into this truck already... what's another 20 hours right?
Plus I want to give it a truly custom look. Where the cowl comes up like _|-|_ I want to make it more like... _/-\_ but with some nice curves... Because the rest of the truck is curvy...

Updates should come soon... I finally finished the wiring for the mirrors and rewired the power seat today so I'll be putting in some of the stuff I ordered soon. Which reminds me... Got my halos today courtesy of ls1s10onair. So since I already have the grill out might as well throw those in too!

My rollpan is on sale...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-03-Chevy-...item19cdbbd1ff
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
Meh Dingus

Quote: Originally Posted by infinitus

@blazinblack You know Boss has a 1 year warranty on all their stuff right? It costs you like $25 to get it there and back but still a free repair otherwise. Also, I've seen a lot of those slide outs fail... especially Dual.
Word..\

Well i bought off of an Asian from craigslist that had a truck full of stereo equipment, and he told me he would give it a lifetime warranty, just to call him if i ever had any trouble. well... the first one i bought i didnt realize that my factory subwoofer needed to be bypassed to hook it up so i called him back and told him it was defected. Hah he gladly replaced it.

6 months later, his phone number was no longer in service. Should have figured. i assumed that because I bought it off of CL that the warranty would not work.

*on a side note, i just got a Jensen flipscreen for like 235 new and it is awesome. Great video clarity, sound, and i love the bluetooth from my iphone.

Project is looking good man. Keep up the work!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
54F0N

Thanks... Jensen is good product... a bit on the rare side around here. I used to have 2 10's that would give a great back massage in my reg cab...
I wish I lived in a bigger city and could get deals like that... (from people in vans, I mean). My mom lives in Chicago and she has people knocking on her door to sell her sh**. All I get are Jehovah's Witnesses. Not even a f****** girl scout with some cookies.

Anyways... I had lots planned for today... and I got all of three things done. But it looks so good to me.

I would have gotten a lot more done if I hadn't been pissin around with my halos... Those things are probably the worst deal I've ever gotten. The housings themselves are alright... needs a resurface. But one of the four leds for the halo is out... and the HID kit I got with it... doesn't work.
So...

I'm gonna replace the Leds with either green or blue... still haven't decided a color scheme for my truck yet so I guess I better work on that first.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #24

I used to have halos on mine, they were ok if you wanted them for looks but stock ones were better. Trucks is looking good though, keep up the good work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.