S-10 Forum banner

S10 frame, 1951 body-6.0l autocross themed

20K views 145 replies 24 participants last post by  Coldshot 
#1 ·
Starting this thread as I've made the body switch.
Truck started like this:

Bought it for $300 with a blown head gasket.
Fixed the gaskets and sold it.
As I dug into the truck I found pretty much no rust. After a little work and parts gathering.

Got the 6.0 from a 2004 silverado and the IRS from an 88 toyota supra. Also have 2" drop spindles and 1" spacer/adapter.

So the original plan was to build the dime to have fun at autocross. Was going to build the chassis for handling and put it together as an s10 to start, then down the road swap a 47-54 body on it. After chatting with my other half (who originally wanted the older truck) she told me to cut to the chase and just do it once.
So I sold all my rust free parts :)

Last peace that went.

Right after the last peace sold I dropped down across the boarder to WA and pick up my new (old) body.

Got it home

So this is where I am now, I'm moving my project to this part of the forum from the LSX section. So feel free to catch up there on what I did till now.

Plan now is to clean and strip down all the parts and get the cab mounted on the chassis. Will give it a 2" body drop and but the box into the cab and bolt it together to stiffen it all up. I had gotten the IRS mocked up but will have to cut it all out and move it back a few inches.
It is now more of a autocross themed truck but I will still for sure take it to the track to beat on it :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Will give it a 2" body drop

you mean just build the mounts 2" lower right? because you can space the cab almost 6" off the frame and the bottom of the running boards will be even with the bottom of the frame. I have seen guys bolt the stock cab directly to the frame with no spacer and the running boards are 4" off the ground with full height s10 suspension, looks just pounded low.

I have one too, there is a killer s10 swap how to on 67-72chevytrucks site http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=632686

#6 ·
Yea, I'm gonna build the mounts 2" up from the frame cuz from what I've read up on it 4" would be about stock height.
The floors actually pretty good but I'll have to tunnel it anyways for the Trans too.

#8 ·
Wow, thanks for the link. Didn't have time to go threw it before but that's lots of good info. Looking at the stance I might go 4" off the frame instead of 2". The way my IRS will sit it will be around a 3" drop from stock. I'd like to sit no lower then 3".
I'm saving to get the rear coilovers right now, gonna go with ridetech RQ series with 550 spring rate. The IRS has about 3.5" travel so thinking 4" stroke?
Getting the 550 rated for the front when it comes time as well.

#10 ·
Got a little done today, cleaned the cab out and gas tank remove. Only found 1 interesting thing tho

Took apart the front fenders and put them together with the grill and no inners.

Just wanted to get an idea of how wide this will be.

#17 ·
I agree, and yes the rear fenders are pretty much shot. The fronts on the other hand are mint. Seen guys cut up the back fenders to make nice tubs for inside the bed so that's my plan for those when I get that far and find some good ones.
There's a guy in Washington state in annacotis that I bought the body from who finds and sells parts for these trucks. so when I got the time and money, anything I need he's got.

#16 ·
So I haven't been on here for a bit, mostly cuz I've been off project. Did a little home Improvment.

But now that, that is done I've started back on the truck.
I have stripped the frame pretty much all the way down.

Have now started making new cab mounts.

I should have the rear mounts done this weekend. Then I'll have to figure out how to get my frame outside to clean it up.

#18 ·
Got the rear cab mounts completed, washed the frame and flipped it around the other way. Got it levelled and getting ready to strip it to bare metal. Get that cab on :)

#19 ·
So I'm adding a bit more to this project with the rest of the supra suspension. I'm not tracking down the front stuff in order to give me a steering rack and more front width. Also gets rid of the spacer/adapters

#20 ·
Mocked my cab on for the first time today :)
Got my cab mounts tacked in place but ran out of wire before I could finish weld them on after checking there position.

This is one side done, right when I ran out of wire

#22 ·
Got more wire but now I have no time :( lol gonna be picking up the new front suspension pretty soon now too. Feel free to send me you body mounts, need 4 to get this cab on proper

#23 ·
Picked up my new to me front suspension yesterday :)

It's from an 89 toyota supra. After doing a lot or research on this k member I've found that if you trim off the ends of the spring pockets it will slip right over the frame rails.

So now there's not really much s10 in this anymore but I think enuf applies.

The k member from the supra has LS adapter mounts made for it so it makes putting the motor in easy when the time comes and has a power steering rack witch might need a little notch in the frame but should have no problem getting around the headers.

All of this I will photograph as it goes along. But for now I'm getting my body on the frame first to make sure I get the wheels in the right spot.

#26 ·
Seems like its going to be a lot of work to get that front clip onto the s10 frame. Might be a little late now, but looks like you would've been better off just building a 2x3 frame from the get-go.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

#27 ·
if I knew this was where I was going to end up the best way would have been to use the 51 frame. That way it would all line right up. But I can make this work. Gonna be lots of grinding and welding but I'll do it. I have a game plan for how I'm gonna do it all now so it's just getting it done.
I have the fenders on to get the front of the frame cut to the right length and I'll cap the ends and put the new front brace in there for the rad and grill support. That will help keep it square when I chop the old crossmember out. For the pockets Im going to just take a straight edge and continue the frames line as if the pocket wasn't there, then it should... In theory go up into the frame.
That's when I'll trim to get it lined up.

Just cleaning parts for a bit till this goes down maybe this weekend

#28 ·
So I've trimmed a bit more off and getting ready to brace and start cutting. Still have to get some wheels and tires tho to make sure of hight when I'm doing fitment but I can do lots before I fully put it in.

#29 ·
Well I started the front cutting :S
Got my front cross brace in witch will also be used as a mounting point for the rad support and fenders/grill.

Then cut the spring pockets flush.

Now I've got to square up a peace in the back to use as a brace and measuring point (Orange peace) checked with the suspension too.

Should get then on soon. Then the old crossmember comes out :)

#30 ·
Got the cross member out today and the front suspension test fitted for the first time :)

After the first go there's only one real issue I've run into so far. The steering box aims right into the frame.

I'll just have to notch it after the other side is boxed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.