[ProjecT] Work Truck - Page 32 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

[ProjecT] Work Truck

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #1551
Turbocharged Pimp

User is: OffLine
Re: [ProjecT] Work Truck

Well have to get together again soon hopefully next time under better circumstances
Old 03-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #1552
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

5 years in the making. Just in time to pay it off!

Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #1553
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by jimhrabe
Well have to get together again soon hopefully next time under better circumstances
Couldn't agree more
Old 03-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #1554
Maybe later.

Hmmmm there are so many things I like and then dislike about those trucks though.

STOP SHOWING ME WHAT I COULD DO. Lol.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #1555
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Haha sorry man!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #1556
Molon Labe

I love mine, as stock as it is. One little thing, the SS brakes are really the same as EXT fronts and regular wheelbase ones with the V8. I plan to upgrade when its time for brakes.
Yours looks great as an SS clone and probably enjoys the better mileage that the I6 and 3.42 gears get on the highway.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #1557
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by Stewzer55
I love mine, as stock as it is. One little thing, the SS brakes are really the same as EXT fronts and regular wheelbase ones with the V8. I plan to upgrade when its time for brakes.
I did know this, but thanks for posting for the others who might not have

Yours looks great as an SS clone and probably enjoys the better mileage that the I6 and 3.42 gears get on the highway.
Thanks man! I agree it looks great, although I really don't get all that great of mileage with the I6 Although I'm sure it's not as bad as what an SS would be, it's definitely not as good as what I hear of the '06up trucks with the I6 getting
Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #1558
Molon Labe

I have only hit 20 MPG once, the last few months have been in the 14-15.5 mpg range with winter gas and just driving back and forth to work mostly.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #1559
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

I have only hit 20 MPG once, the last few months have been in the 14-15.5 mpg range with winter gas and just driving back and forth to work mostly.
Sounds about right. I think the best all-highway mileage we ever got with it was right at 18 but that was before I got the tune on the PCM. But yeah, stupid winter blend (and my frequent remote-starting) have dropped my winter averages to about the same range as yours, although I run premium so my wallet takes a bigger hit
Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #1560
Molon Labe

You should accelerate easier on premium since it won't back the timing out near as much. I've been getting that on winter E-10 87 Octane, I wasn't noticing any economy advantage with 89 since that has ethanol in it too. I'd run ethanol free if I knew a good place to get it reasonably because thats worth about 1-2 extra mpg.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #1561
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Are you saying the truck itself should get up to speed/accelerate easier simply due to me running premium? Or you're advising me to go easier on the throttle? My tune is set up to run on Premium and when I first installed it the truck ran like a raped ape, but it's current performance doesn't seem to be the same. Hopefully it's just the winter blend... I hear it's the worst around big cities and I'm rather close to Chicago
Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #1562
Maybe later.

Damn....mind you I don't have remote start but the only time I've gotten 15 MPG is when my rear brakes were hung up on my last Blazer...

I don't get the point of the I6. lol.

It had so much potential. Yet the 4.3 still manages to do better in real world performance in almost every aspect except horsepower.

Although, the TBs are alot heavier then the S-series Blazers...so I don't know.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #1563
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by tytotheler92
Damn....mind you I don't have remote start but the only time I've gotten 15 MPG is when my rear brakes were hung up on my last Blazer...

I don't get the point of the I6. lol.

It had so much potential. Yet the 4.3 still manages to do better in real world performance in almost every aspect except horsepower.

Although, the TBs are alot heavier then the S-series Blazers...so I don't know.
You're pretty much right about all of it. The 4.3 was better designed for the S10s/Blazers it was in than the I6 is for the TrailBlazers when it comes to power/weight, etc. The I6 really is a nice motor tho, with 275hp/275ft lbs so it is considerably more powerful per displacement than a 4.3, although IMO the trans they chose to pair it to is a big part of why the trucks don't perform better. The optimum torque/power range for the motors is from about 2k-7k rpm with the majority of that above 3k-3500. But the 4speed auto tries to keep them down in the low rpms for fuel economy but ends up just dogging the motor burning excess fuel trying to get it going. If the had the 6L80e trans' out of the newer Tahoes/Yukons they would do much better because the engine would be able to operate in it's most efficient/powerful rpm range instead of being dogged at a low rpm. Same goes for the SS trucks with the 4speed trans.

There's one aftermarket company for sure that specializes in the 6L80e swaps and they get very very good results out of it, but the way the TCM/PCM is they can only get it to work on the '06up trucks. I've gone back and forth on what I want to do with my truck since it's an '05. The motors/electronics got considerably better in '06 (and can facilitate the 6L80e swap) but at the same time I'm pretty sure in the '02-05 trucks I could get away with running a 5 speed manual out of a Colorado due to the difference in PCM/TCM programming. Ideally I'd like all the new electronics (and more powerful/efficient motor) out of an '06up truck but may want to make a bastardized system keeping the '05 TCM and running a 5speed in the truck. If that's not possible I'd rather still have the newer motor and then just do the 6L80e.

And eventually I want to convert the 4.2 to a turbo diesel because that would just be badass
Old 03-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #1564
Maybe later.

When you think about it, the 4.3 is a bastard engine itself... 3/4ths of a 350..yet it's one the longest running bastard engines and probably the most reliable afterthoughts GM has ever produced.

However, the I6 was DESIGNED for this use....you would have thought GM would have thought that out better. The i6 is way happy to rev right up to the redline, unlike the 4.3s, which deliver all of their power really low in the RPMS. This is a good and bad thing, but the 4.3/4l60 was a pretty much ideal pair for the 4.3.

What about a tune to raise shift points? That wouldn't be hard on anything really...and quite simple.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #1565
Molon Labe

It should be easier to accelerate with the premium fuel without the engine knocking (10:1 compression lol).
With the 06+ 4.2's being rated at 291HP and 277 Ft/lbs, its not really that much of an improvement at the surface, but the internal redesign makes it an even stronger platform. Supposedly GM admitted that even the early engines would make over 300 HP with a better flowing exhaust on a stock tune. Actually the I6 it has 90% of torque available around 1900 RPM and is killed with lots of torque management, for example, falling on its face under a full throttle 1-2 shift on bad highway on-ramp (it might have been that in combination with Stabilitrak) when I felt the back end step to the side a little bit. Now I really want to get it tuned and put an exhaust on it.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #1566
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Mine runs awesome with the tune now and the 1-2 shift at full throttle is pretty dang amazing lol. I think I'm having issues with the exhaust VVT actuator tho and the exhaust cam isn't always in it's preferred setting, leaving power on the table or letting it go to waste
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #1567
Molon Labe

And probably hurting your mpg too. I got 18.5 on a highway trip last week on winter gas and making the return trip by taking state routes over the interstate. So a few small towns and keeping it just under 60 for that.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #1568
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Yeah I'm almost positive the VVT issues are hurting the mileage too... I can't seem to get any more than 260 miles out of a tank (which usually is ~18-19 gallons to refill)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #1569
I Build Robots

Ouch dude. I would think that you should be able to constantly get at least 350 miles a tank out of the I6. Any updates on the "Work Truck"?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #1570
Meh...noob

I fill up around 1/4 of a tank so I'm not sure how many miles I'd get if I ran it to empty but I check my milage on my TB yesterday and its around 17.5 mpg...

I'm also curious about updates on the work truck lol

TB looks sick though!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #1571
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by 262X02
Ouch dude. I would think that you should be able to constantly get at least 350 miles a tank out of the I6. Any updates on the "Work Truck"?
It was at least up around 300 on summer gas, but winter gas and remote starting it has dropped it down to that 260 mark. This truck also got affected by the 'bad BP gas' from 2 summers ago, so I'm thinking that may have done more damage than I originally thought

No updates on the Work Truck, it's still just sitting at the end of the driveway.

I replaced a bad tie rod end on the TB on Sun. I found out it needed to be replaced after having a flat last Fri on my way to work and swapping on the spare and then it going flat as well Thankfully the spare went flat right by a local shop I've used before so they allowed me to put air in it for free and it held air all day to get me the rest of the way to work and home, etc and then the next day I took both the spare and the original tire in to get repaired (have a repair warranty on them). Levin Tire tried to screw me tho because they said they were leaking from the valve stems so they just went ahead and replaced the stems. Well since I brought them in under a repair warranty I was assuming that if anything wasn't going to be covered by warranty they would call me and let me know. Valve stems obviously aren't but did they call me? Nope. So I get there and they try charging me $50 for replacing the 2 valve stems! I gave them crap for not calling me to ask me if I was ok with that and their reply was "Well did you want your tires fixed or not?" Turns out that since the SS wheels still had tire pressure monitors in them (which were leaking) they replaced them with new tire pressure monitors, at $25ea. Well since my truck isn't an SS it doesn't even have that feature, so if they would've called me I would've instructed them to just install plain 'ol black rubber valve stems for a few dollars each. Needless to say I didn't end up having to pay anything because they wrote it off due to the hassle I was causing, but upon further inspection they dismounted the tires to install the new stems, remounted them, and then didn't rebalance them! I've never liked the service I've gotten from that place since I bought the tires from them several years back. They always seem to half-ass stuff and then try to make you pay for their shoddy work

But now that the TB is seemingly fixed and good to go for a while the plan is to get the Work Truck in the garage and get the blown brake line fixed (and probably paint a different Blazer caliper and replace the one on the truck for that, since the one on it has a groove in it from the spare tire rubbing it). While I'm in there I also plan to pull the upper control arms off since the bushings are all totally shot (part of the reason why I had a tire go flat and was forced onto the spare). I'll take the PowerPerformance joints out of them and then throw the arms in the garbage, unless anybody wants some stock arms that are pie cut but need new bushings. Then since I don't have my Wheels Centered upper arms done just yet I'll swap the arms that were stock to the truck back on after installing the PP joints in them. I'm not concerned that those arms aren't pie cut because they should still allow me to lay the 20s on the inner fenders when I switch back to the stock spindles, which I also plan to do while I've got everything apart. Then the sale of my TB winter 18s will provide the funds to buy a brand new set of tires for the 20s and also to get it properly aligned so that I can cruise it all summer long without a worry in the world lol. Although before that can happen I'll need a new battery and have to tighten up the Y-pipe to exhaust manifold connections as they vibrated loose and I'm only down to 1 bolt on one of the sides But those few things are pretty minor so hopefully as soon as we're through the rainy season that is April & early May I'll be able to go back to dailying the Work Truck.

Then once that's my daily again I'll tear into the TB to finally get the big brakes installed, and probably also install the air tank/compressor/water trap, etc and possibly even swap the rear coils for bags and install my mechanical auto-level system. To do all that though would require me lengthening all the 4link bars (and likely making them adjustable as well), adjusting the length of the panhard bar (and making it adjustable), and then notching the truck to get it down as low as possible without having to do any body/paint work. As of right now I know from removing the springs that the rear sits 1" higher than the front. I might play around with the front tho to see if I can get it any lower with minimal cutting, and then see how low I can go in the rear without narrowing the axle or having to repaint any of the outside body. If I have to do some minor touch-up paintwork inside the door jambs I don't mind, so I may be able to get the rear down another inch or 2 past the 1" that I already know I'll need to notch for. But I plan to keep the stock spring-over-axle setup so the room for the bags may dictate how low I can go. I may also work on designing/building my 'mid-arm' setup for bagging the front while I'm in there as well... we'll see

That's all for now... sorry for the 'epic text post'
Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #1572
I Build Robots

+1 for "epic"
Old 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #1573
Maybe later.

TL;DR.

Seriously though why are Tire places so incompetent anymore....
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #1574
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by tytotheler92
TL;DR.

Seriously though why are Tire places so incompetent anymore....
I have no idea. They must feel like they have to swindle customers to get any profits out of the work that they perform.

Not sure what the TL;DR part of your post means tho
*EDIT* Just Google'd it and I now understand
Old 04-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #1575
Maybe later.

Come on! You're my brothers age! You should know internet stuffs. lol.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #1576
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

lol I'm kinda awkward when it comes to internet/technology stuff. I haven't kept up on it in the past 5 years like other poeple my age have, so unfortunately there's a lot of things I don't know.

It probably also doesn't help that this is the phone that I use:

Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #1577
Maybe later.

Lol. I remember those.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #1578
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Well, the fuel companies must've switched away from the winter blend. I filled the TB up last week at a station that limits you to $75 per credit card purchase (so I only got ~17.5 gallons and needed about 19-19.5 to be full) yet I ended up getting 295 miles out of this tank. I went back to the same station and filled up full (19.77 gallons, $85 since premium was $4.29), so we'll see how many miles I get out of this tank, and I'll calc the mileage when I fill up again next time
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #1579
I Build Robots

Ya it took them long enough. I have noticed about a 2 mpg increase as of late on my truck.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #1580
Meh...noob

Damn gas is high there...
Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #1581
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Quote: Originally Posted by oh so slow
Damn gas is high there...
That's one of the downfalls of being part of the "Greater Chicagoland" area
Old 04-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #1582
I Build Robots

Its high all over Indiana now it seems and not just the "region."
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #1583
Oasis Customs

its not bad down here in southern indiana near louisville.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #1584
Molon Labe

I averaged 1 MPG higher my last tank too, I filled up before it jumped here in the Greater Dayton area.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #1585
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

So I guess I just officially revealed my 6link on Facebook? At least it was to Max Fish and he liked it!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...r&notif_t=like
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #1586

link doesnt work for me. post up a pic of this bad boy, been waiting a long time to see this!!!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #1587
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Old 08-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #1588

very interesting!

so is there 5 pivot points on the axle mounts? would really like to see this in action and all the benefits
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #1589
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

3 pivots at the axle mount. Only real benefit is the wheels staying centered... Max doesn't think it will plant or dive or anything
Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #1590
you gonna leauurn today

can you post a video of it in motion for those who dont have fb
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #1591
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

CLICK HERE
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #1592
Molon Labe

Thats pretty sweet!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #1593

Slick engineering. I hope it works out for you.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #1594
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Thanks guys!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #1595
you gonna leauurn today

teeny tiny, but very very cool !!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #1596
Gimme' The LOOT!!

Sub'd, can't wait to see it actually built!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #1597
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Me either! Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.