S-10 Forum banner

[ProjecT] Work Truck

183K views 2K replies 162 participants last post by  tytotheler92 
#1 ·
So 3 weeks ago my daily driver Beretta decided to crap out on me and I was left with no vehicle and starting a new job in 5 days. Well I didn't have the 2-3 weeks that it was going to take to tear down and rebuild the motor (again) and my parents said that since I wasn't gonna tear down and rebuild the motor that they were "repo-ing" my car and I was now on my own for a vehicle. Well I scraped together all the money I had, and bought a new daily driver/work truck. Its a '95 S10 short cab short bed with a 2.2/5speed and 84,000 miles. Its pure bare bones/work truck. Heat only (no A/C), rubber floor, bench seat, non-tilt column, and even a GM rollpan that was a cheaper option than a real bumper. I got a super deal on it and its been a great work truck for the past 3 weeks. Here's some pics from when I brought it home:

What I love about this truck is the POTENTIAL it has. As you can tell, some aspects of it are a bit rough. The front end is smashed, the passenger mirror is missing, the rollpan is hanging by who knows what, the tailgate handle is bent/crooked, etc. etc. But the body is in great shape for being a '95 and a work truck. There's probably a grand total of 15-20 dents on the truck INCLUDING ones INSIDE the bed. My new job is at a bodyshop so a large part of the plans for the truck is to practice/hone my bodyworking skills on it and then paint it a bit nicer color lol. But the front end needs to be fixed, so might as well swap it for a '98 up front end, right? I need a new mirror so might as well get some Street Scene ones... The rollpan is falling off, so I'm thinking about putting a stock bumper on (EVERYBODY has rollpans....who runs bumpers on a custom truck these days? Besides...all the people who have rollpans can hardly GIVE AWAY their old stock bumpers lol). The tailgate handle is crooked, so might as well shave it and relocate it to the inside...

But anyway...not really sure where this truck/project will head but anything that happens with it will go here in this thread.

See less See more
#886 ·
X2

Get any day pics today with the weather being nice and all?

#889 ·
lol it's not even a camera phone, it's a nice ass Canon like 12 megapixel camera. Just for whatever reason it won't take a clear pic to save it's life when the flash is off. In good lighting or with the flash on it takes great pics. It's weird lol

#891 ·
I had to cut/trim/modify the under structure of the hood where it came in contact with the inner top corner of the headlights, but that was it. No external mods to the hood as of right now, but if you were going to be painting and lining everything up for a finished product it would need a little bit of modding to line up perfectly. The curve of the hood vs. the fender is a tad bit different right at the leading edge

#892 ·
Thanks! They've always been one of my favorite wheels too, so when I got the opportunity to pick them up for the price I did there was no hesitation to jump on it :) Fortunately I was selling my control arms right at the same time so everything really fell together for me to pick up these and the LSOH steering kit with the money I got for selling my SD arms

#893 ·
Wow they fit perfect! And look great on your truck to!

Is there spacers in rear?

Glad you like em n all..... But now I'm regretting sellin em to ya! ;)

#896 ·
Yeah, I've always loved these wheels because of their simplicity and just downright badassness :)

And I REALLY like that they're chrome, but black/flat black isn't a half bad idea when the time comes that the chrome just isn't nice enough to rock anymore

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :evilg:

#897 ·
#898 ·
I was able to spend some time in the garage last night messing with the truck. I checked/topped off all the fluids and a few other small little maintenance-type items, and then toyed around and bolted 2 of the 18s/32s on the front suspension the way it currently sits with the stock spindles. Fully lifted I have 14.5" of ground clearance, so adding the 3.5" spindles will put me at 18". I also assembled a spacer/rotor/caliper onto the lift spindle and bolted into another one of the wheels to check clearances. I will have to grind a tiny little bit on the spindle to clear the rim, but nothing that will weaken the spindle or anything like that. I will also need to trim the edge off the stock/pie cut UCAs to clear the tires since I'm using those and not the Wheels Centered ones just yet (still working on those). I'm gonna try to get out there tonight again and take some pics and get more done because I'd like to have the stuff painted and ready to install on the front end this weekend. Then the following weekend I have Mon off for Presidents Day so I want to get everything on the rear done then. Just in time for winter to end lol

#905 ·
Haha that's funny you say that because that's the same case for me lol

It was a Indigo Blue Xcab Xtreme with silvers stripes slammed on 18" or 20" Stealths with a loud ass stereo in it... used to see it around town all the time and it had the license plate H8NBMPS. I used to drool seein that thing haha

#907 ·
And a small update for the Work Truck... I spent most of the night in the garage last night but the majority of the time was spent drinking beer and tinkering lol

I was able to get some grinding done on the spindles and grabbed some pics of the wheels assembled with the brakes (minus rear calipers). Front wheel on the left, rear wheel on the right

#909 ·
Was able to work on stuff Sat and yesterday, and got a bit done.

Made a prototype adapter bracket, but drilling it by hand caused the holes to move far enough to not line things up where I wanted them

It pushed the caliper too far out on the disc, not maximizing the pad area

Here it is from the back

So I cut two more from the template I made and then today at work I used our drill press to get the holes spot on. Here are the brackets that will go on the truck

I was also able to get the grinding on the spindle and caliper abutments done so that everything is properly clearanced to fit around the disc. Next step is to prep and paint everything, including the steering kit, shock relocaters and buttons, leafs and lift shackles. Then I'm hoping to install all the front suspension parts Thurs night then Fri I will delve into pulling the bed and starting work on the rear

#913 ·
You got it. They're coupled to '98up LS1 Fbody 12" rotors.

It worked out great because my brother got a full '98up Blazer stock spindle/hub/brake setup with 50k miles on it when he did his C5 Z06 brakes and he gave me the calipers and rotors for free, plus when I bought my truck the kid I bought it from threw in a 'free set of Hawk brake pads that I just didn't get around to putting on'. Well he 'didn't get around to putting them on' because they weren't for a pickup, they were for the dual piston blazer brake setup. So ever since I've had my truck I've had the calipers/brackets and Hawk pads that was all completely free to me (if you don't count having to buy the truck lol) Couple that with a $120 set of drilled/slotted Fbody rotors and the stock Blazer rear calipers that came on my 8.5" Blazer rear end and I've got a nice brake setup for a very small investment :)

#917 ·
And to update everybody on the truck... I spent most of the night in the garage and with the help of a buddy got everything to the point of being ready for paint. The new brackets put the caliper exactly where I wanted it, so I was happy about that. My buddy is going to be wire wheeling and prepping everything for paint today and tomorrow and then hopefully we can paint Wed night (I'm not going to be working on it tonight because of Vday). Then Thurs night I plan to swap everything on the front so I have the whole weekend to get the rear done. The leafs and shackles will be painted, so I'll just have to do all the work on the axle and then paint that and she'll be good to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.