S-10 Forum banner

[ProjecT] Work Truck

183K views 2K replies 162 participants last post by  tytotheler92 
#1 ·
So 3 weeks ago my daily driver Beretta decided to crap out on me and I was left with no vehicle and starting a new job in 5 days. Well I didn't have the 2-3 weeks that it was going to take to tear down and rebuild the motor (again) and my parents said that since I wasn't gonna tear down and rebuild the motor that they were "repo-ing" my car and I was now on my own for a vehicle. Well I scraped together all the money I had, and bought a new daily driver/work truck. Its a '95 S10 short cab short bed with a 2.2/5speed and 84,000 miles. Its pure bare bones/work truck. Heat only (no A/C), rubber floor, bench seat, non-tilt column, and even a GM rollpan that was a cheaper option than a real bumper. I got a super deal on it and its been a great work truck for the past 3 weeks. Here's some pics from when I brought it home:

What I love about this truck is the POTENTIAL it has. As you can tell, some aspects of it are a bit rough. The front end is smashed, the passenger mirror is missing, the rollpan is hanging by who knows what, the tailgate handle is bent/crooked, etc. etc. But the body is in great shape for being a '95 and a work truck. There's probably a grand total of 15-20 dents on the truck INCLUDING ones INSIDE the bed. My new job is at a bodyshop so a large part of the plans for the truck is to practice/hone my bodyworking skills on it and then paint it a bit nicer color lol. But the front end needs to be fixed, so might as well swap it for a '98 up front end, right? I need a new mirror so might as well get some Street Scene ones... The rollpan is falling off, so I'm thinking about putting a stock bumper on (EVERYBODY has rollpans....who runs bumpers on a custom truck these days? Besides...all the people who have rollpans can hardly GIVE AWAY their old stock bumpers lol). The tailgate handle is crooked, so might as well shave it and relocate it to the inside...

But anyway...not really sure where this truck/project will head but anything that happens with it will go here in this thread.

See less See more
#847 ·
I'm picking up a Little Shop of Horrors steering kit off of another member so I can finally say goodbye to destroying tires due to toe change! I'm hoping to install it when I swap to the lift spindles and big brakes so that I will have a kickass front suspension setup that won't eat up the nice Bridgestones :)

#855 ·
Steering kit just showed up via UPS... I'm super excited to finally have one of these!

I'll take some pics on my lunch break for you guys. Next up is to order some seals and castle nuts for it since it will be going on a daily driver

#857 ·
Gotcha Dave. I was hoping to get all the lift stuff done before snow hit but I didn't make it in time. Now the truck is caked with snow and the garage is full of mucky water and ice chunks :( Hopefully it will melt before I have to be bringing the truck in to work on the swap. I'd have to think it would've been much easier to deal with the snow if I had it lifted in time. Oh well, it will happen eventually.

As far as the boots go, I'll just be ordering a set of what Elixur detailed out in the group buy thread

#859 ·
Hey brent, the way you have the kit is that how its installed with the allen screws facing towards the front or is it swapped ? Kind of a dumb question but just me test fitting it i had it the other way and it seemed to close ??

#862 ·
thanks get low, thats how mine is installed, it just seems so close to the spring pockets and you have to install the lower bolts for the control arms in before or get a shorter bolt, atleast on my first gen thats how it is

#868 ·
Come on out to the Customrides car show in tinley park this weekend!! Ill have the Syclone there itll be the last time its seen before it goes in for paint!

#870 ·
Its this weekend Jan 21-22 at the Tinley Park Convention Center(Its The Holiday Inn Tinley Park just off of I80 and Harlem)

#872 ·
And a small amount of progress for today. A guy from my work has a double hole saw adapter where you can use a smaller hole saw as a guide for a larger one. On my lunch break I used a 1" and 2" to notch the ends of my Speedway arms to be able to weld on 2" SD cross shaft bushings so that I can use either SD cross shafts or my custom Wheels Centered ones

#873 ·
A little more progress, but no pics. Seals for the steering kit came in last night so I spent some time installing them. I really like the way they look... definitely a quality product that should aide in protecting the heims on my daily driver.

Also, since there's no football or Supercross this Sat I'm hoping to spend a good bit of time in the garage getting stuff done, so that maybe next weekend I can finally get this beast lifted

#875 ·
You and me both Jordan!

Also, I picked up a set of 20" KMC Stealths off of jwehunt on here (I think he's 1low4x4 now tho) for summer cruising, so those should be arriving sometime within this next week. Originally I thought I'd put them on the '91 but I don't know that they'll fit with the offset that they are, so most likely they'll be for this ride when it switches back to being layed. I may throw them on with the current drop suspension just for some pics before I tear it all apart and lift it :)

#876 ·
Well, the Stealths arrived today :) I was hoping to load my jack and impact in my truck last night so as to swap them on the truck on my lunch break to get some pics, but I wasn't feeling well last night so I didn't get a chance to :( Plus the truck is all dirty and I had to run errands on my lunch break. So unless we get another 45° day here soon you'll probably have to wait til spring/summer to see them on the truck.

But it will be worth the wait because by then the big brakes will be on and I will remove the inner fenders so that with my Wheels Centered UCAs on I will be able to lay the front 1.5" off the ground without tubbing the firewall, and with a 3/4" notch out back it will sit level without having to cut into the bed at all :)

Stay tuned for more info on the lift... hope to work on that more this weekend, as we're technically only 1 month into winter (even though it's essentially just seemed like November non-stop for the past 3 months lol)

#877 ·
Well we had a 45° day yesterday that lasted through last night and now it's supposed to be nearing 60° today! So last night I threw the wheels on so I could get some pics for you guys. Unfortunately the best I could do was to go to a gas station and hope the lights there were bright enough. The bad part is... my camera can't take a non-blurry picture to save it's life when you turn the flash off :( So here's the pics I got... they'll have to tide you guys over until springtime when it sits a tick bit lower and I can get some daytime pics :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.