Project turbo 3800 awd blazer - Page 3 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project turbo 3800 awd blazer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #101

Re: Project turbo 3800 awd blazer

no luck on the steering lines, and I still have to go pick up that box (sorry guy)

So, I weighed it today with my worst fears being confirmed. 3700lbs even with me a full tank of gas and my tool box. I say the truck weights just over 3400. I'm going to need to start chopping more things off of this truck...

After that bad news I thought I would attack it and get a few other things out of the way. I got all of my rocker bolts switched out finally with hardened ones. I also maned to get my PCV system working again. I modified the factory maf hole in my camaro TB to accept a 99 style and newer maf. with that I will be able to run either a modded maf or a maf with an AFC so that I can run more than 20lbs of boost (I shouldnt even really be running that much). It took alot of horrible drilling, but it wasn't too bad.

So I took the truck for a drive and tried to savor how it felt. I then switch the tires out for my set of aluminum typhoon rims with the R1's on them. I weighed both sets and determained a weight savings of roughly 20lbs per tire. I took it for another ride and ...holy shit...the difference was immense. It actually scared me on a 2nd gear roll. I made sure it was running the same boost and afrs and sure enough it was right on the money so I did a WOT off of a light. It spooled a little quicker in first and when I slammed it into second the truck did this really cool 2 inch bunny hop, which is a new thing...I got out of it shaking.

Coming along perfectly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #102
9" strait pipes...

User is: OffLine

Quote: Originally Posted by BMFB
...determained a weight savings of roughly 20lbs per tire. I took it for another ride and ...holy shit...the difference was immense. It actually scared me on a 2nd gear roll.

Coming along perfectly...
it amazes me how underestimated the role wheel weight plays in suspension and acceleration/braking. 20 lbs per wheel is especially huge! ever heard of moment of inertia? its the measure of an objects resistance to rotational acceleration, and it increases exponentially with weight. so moving the extra 80 lbs is one thing, but spinning up the extra 80 lbs is like moving an extra 640 lbs. i just made up some very crude math for the example but you get the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia
Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #103

You are correct, and I knew that it would be a differance, but you have understand, I didn't think it would do what it did.

heres a short vid. It was dark, so theres no perspective of speed at all. The only thing I can say is 1st gear ends at 45mph second gear ends at 95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wyXa...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #104

wow, i haven't updated this in awhile.

so, stories...

I broke that motor, as a result of water in the oil. I pulled it out, and replaced with with another one out of a junk yard for 150 dollars. I put my stuff into it and It was back off again. so far so good on tha tone btw, although I havnt been to hard on it yet.

I decided that I needed to get a maf sensor that was 'clipping' at super high rpm. After alot of difficulty I managed to get a 99 style maf and an afc to translate it. The difficulty being the pcm was actually the issue and not the wiring like I thought. Should be good for alot more air. I actually just got it installed and tuned tonight (at least to 14psi) it feels great so far. I'm hoping to get some more work done on it in the next few days, I'll post up some stuff as it happens
Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #105

Alright, pretty good day.

First, I went through alot trying to track down my miss.

First, I got my knock sensor system working the right way, and it was pointing to cyl 6. I thought this was odd because that was NOT one of the cylinders that I messed with ignition wise. I pulled #6 plug wire and the miss stayed on 6 so, I figured it knew what it was talking about.

First, I replaced #6 plug wire, no luck. Then I swapped 6 and 4 plugs, still on 6. Then I swapped coils and again, the issue persisted on 6. I did a compression test on 6 and it passed with no issues. I then swapped fuel injectors from 6 to 2 and the issue disappeared (check resistance of the coils while I was at it, passed) thought maybe it was a wiring issue and called it a night (last night) today I started it and the miss was back...except this time it was on 2...

I pulled the injector out today and looked at it. It looked clean. I pulled the fuel filter, it also looked clean. I took the injector, stood it upside down and sprayed carb cleaned into it and this black metallic shit came out onto a clean rag I was screening with. I checked it out otherwise, backflushed it, and decided that was the best i could do. I pulled the other 5 off and did the same thing. Some of this black material came out, but not nearly as much as what was in 6. I started it up and took it down a drive down the road. Its as good as new...no issues at all.

This bothers me because the filter looks great. then again...6 is the first injector coming off of the fuel pressure regulator...I may have to keep my eye on this and look for something to swap that out with as a precaution.

While I was at it, and the tank was empty..I decided to put my second pump back in. lucky for me, this is a suprisingly easy task.

I dont have tiny jackstands, and it help to keep this thing close to the ground for this job

ten minutes later...

1 minute later

Single pump Ive been running

double pump back together.

to those that ask "how does that double pump shit fit into the tank" the answer is BAD

but, it does fit

I then decided to pull the steering box off and replace it with the tighter ratio box off of an xtreme blazer. This is simular to what I use in my typhoon and it makes a world of differance.

old vs new

I then ate a pizza

new box in and working

there seems to be a drag turning left. I am hoping this is just some air in the line but...im scared. While I was in there I replaced the pitman arm, as mine was totally boned. The steering is now what I would call acceptable. I still have an idler arm to put in...I also knocked my clamp off of my 4x4 lock device that keep it in awd mode. I went to load it a bit to see if the motor was still running correctly and did a massive burn out. just shifting to gear with the brakes on is enough for a half a turn out of the rear tires. the front wheels pulling me is a very important thing on this truck it seems...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #106
Interpretive Rides

this is neat. Really like it
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #107

1. What's on the tailgate
B. What's the need for a double fuel pump?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #108

1. there is alot of stuff on there, you have to be specific
2. the one fuel pump is limited to about 550hp when using E85. This setup is north of that.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #109

The big black thing.. and I had never heard of using two pumps. Interesting
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #110

behind it is a transmission cooler. There wasnt any room left upfront or underneath it really so, i went all out and did that, lol
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #111

ok, so catchup

I havnt been able to get in the garage since last post due to buick paintjob, so far all Ive really done is get a licence plate light installed and change some tires around. I also lifted the front end about a half inch, which actually really improved rebound.
So, I finally made it to my first event with the truck. I trailored it there just because it was so far away and frankly, I dont trust it yet. The event was a furrin group ice race on turk lake. Only issues I had all day was the breaking of a rear shock mount, and the sudden realization that my oil dipstick does not seal into the tube. The truck did very well, it drove well, and I had the second fastest time overal, trailing by under 2 seconds on a 1 minute coarse. If you look at my times you can see each time I do better, mainly because it was my first time ever driving the truck like this, or doing anything on a frozen lake.
some pics!

first practice run, this was me recovering from a spin. spun once and starter to spin again then caught tration right here and brought it back and kept speed. I had an old lady tell me it was beautiful.

I think this was from earier in that spin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRxR4...ature=youtu.be
video from maybe my first timed run so, it was my slowest.
results for a comparison
http://www.furrin.org/Results/tabid/...7/Default.aspx
I am going to fix the rear shocks this week and be back out there again this saturday.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #112

So, I broke my shock mounts a lonnng tiome ago and never fixed them. The ice race finished them off so im forced to fix them now.
I bought a new set of belltech shocks to fit the lowered truck. They should be plenty for the truck. The issue was the mount itself. I decided rather than ****ing off in a junk yard and getting what are probably equally shitty mounts I would just make what I had work. I do this kind of work alot and down document it in any way so I thought I would show off the extreme care and craftsmanship that goes into this truck on a daily basis.
so, here you can see the shackle with the shock mount coming off the side of it. on this shock mount the collar thing from the original shock remains (which is what the vise grips are clamped to). here you can somewhat grasp the issue. The bolt in which the shock mounts to has broken off clean with the edge of the shock collar.

Here I have removed the shock collar. I wasnt sure where to go with this at first. I was hoping I could back the bold out of the shackle somehow, but I wasnt able to get anywhere with that.

I decided to go another direction with it, and cut off about a half inch

I concluded that the force needed to keep the shock on the mount was minimal. after all ive driven it for about a year now and they stayed on until I started beating on them. I decided just about any bolt would be able to hold up.

now to install.
also....
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #113

new shocks work super good.
I ran another event, got forth this time behind 2 rav4's (one was co-driven...they both beat me) can't beat those things in the snow...
but, pics, and a couple vids. get an idea of what its kinda doing.

run from inside. coarse was slow, we were plowing the way. snow as deep, kinda rutty, struggled for traction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Sy7GhjVJuV4
short from outside the truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUF3D...ature=youtu.be
after racing we noticed my turbo was jiggling more than usual. After getting home I noticed that 2 of the flange bolts had become loose. I put them back together with some loc-tite. Everything else on the truck seems good. I beat it to death these last 2 weeks and it seems fine thus far.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #114

alright, so I got the exhaust done. I am hoping the local state cops will be less upset with me now.
This is what I had to start with

after a short time with the plasma cutter

started lining up where I wanted it

get into teh swing of things, forget to take construction pictures. This is after being welded up and the 'basecoat' of paint applied

on the truck

with the fender back on, with some modifications

I apparintly forgot to take any pictures of it with the wheel well in, but that took a notch to make fit on the side. Pipe portrudes about a half inch into the wheel well so, I thnk it will be fine.
The sound isn't a whole lot quieter, but the tone is lower, and it seems to cruise a bit less loudly. kicks up dust.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #115
certified grease monkey

this... wow... um. alright not how id do it but interesting nonetheless.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #116

I f**king love this thing. Hooning out on the lake looks like a lot of fun!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #117
Needs mo POWA!

i f**king want this thing! haha
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #118
I ride low

haha badass..im just imaging that swap an a mint blazer though but for what u use it for its perfect
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #119

Been working with this thing alot. Its nice to be getting to the poinst of working with it instead of on it...

Went to the strip and worked on the tune. Without trying to launch it I managed a 11.005 @ 134.5 with a 2.1 60ft.

did an autox, did well.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #120
9" strait pipes...

its hurts my eyes

awesome ice racing and some great pics. im surprised they let you run it in autox
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #121
Needs mo POWA!

Quote: Originally Posted by Driveway Kustoms
i f**king want this thing! haha

Still f**king want this thing!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #122

Friend took some pictures of it

Milan dragway didnt like that it didnt have a battery cutoff, other than that I can trick them into thinking its pretty safe. They pay particularly close attention to it...
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #123
9" strait pipes...

the autox clubs around here are so snobby they wont let you run if you paint isnt good, they even say in the rule book "no primered cars". what tires you running there?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #124

in the last set of pics i'm running a set of mickey tompson ET drags on all corners. 28x9.5x15

For autox I run a set of BFG's R1, 225/40?/16

All of the autox guys around here just care about brakes and battery tie downs it seems like. Some will look the suspesion over a bit. Although the truck is truely delapidated in appearance, it is a suprisingly solid and smooth running machine.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #125
Maybe later.

User is: Online

eh, replace the doors/fenders/rockers and get it some paint and it'd look awesome, along with being awesome!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #126

Its ugly but awesome at the same time! I bet you can scare the sh!t out of the ricers on the roads. Its a cool truck either way.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #127

Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #128

Damn this thing is quick. Lol like the beat up look, kinda 'sleeper'-ish
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #129

This is one of the coolest builds I have ever seen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.