Project turbo 3800 awd blazer - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project turbo 3800 awd blazer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #51
where da white women at?

User is: OffLine
Re: Project turbo 3800 awd blazer

i <3 this project.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #52

Thanks nj

I'll get some pics posted tonight but I did some work over the weekend.
With the use of my handy dandy plasma cutter I manged to cut out quite a bit of weight considering I havn't started in on the doors or frame yet. I weighed it all on a bathroom scale and it showed total of 115 lbs between the abs, rear bumper, and steel that came out of the hood, and a few other parts.

I managed to install the rear drop blocks (2 inch with a 2 degree wedge), and I uninstalled the 2 inch shackle lift. Unfortunelty my plan of unwinding the torsion bars didn't goo so well. I started with the driver side and basically unwound it as far as it would go and with the truck being so light it was still about 2 inches taller than the back was. When I went to do the pass side I noticed that the cross member was actually broken where it meets the frame and that the torsion bar was wedged up in the top of the bracket (explaining the clunk noise coming from right there when I would go over bumps). also, the adjustment bolt snapped off with little effort. My only solution is to go with a coil over setup on the front end. I'll save that for last though I think...I wanna get it running before I start spending money on stuff like that.

I ordered an intercooler, racetronix harness, 2 deatschwerks 330 lpr pumps, and stainless line last week and I'm hoping it will be here soon. Id like to start getting the intake side mocked up and get the fuel tank back together and into the truck. I also need to order the shocks for the rear end, I'm planning on using the monroe LL shocks, seems to work very well on my other truck...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #53

well I got a few things done tonight

I got the intercooler installed that came in the mail today. its a godspeed 31x12x4 and with some work, I got it to fit behind the grill and still leave plenty of room for the radiator. To mount it I used some thick washers that I flattened on one side for the top mount, and for the bottom I used a piece of 14 gauge steel bent into a 90, and welded to the bottom on the core support. I like it...

believe it or not, this is the final product mostly. Keep in mind the daylighters will fit into where those holes are (its why they are there, although I had to shave some plastic from,, right there to get it to fit)

also the stance as of now, The front bars are lowered all the way and there simply is no longer enough weight on the front to bring them down any more, I am going to have to go with a coilover setup in the frotn to make it work...

Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #54

i love it nice and basic
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #55

last few nights I managed to get some work done.

I got the rear doors cut out and the rear tailgate gutted. the rear doors still work with the factory hinges and everything, but all the glass is out, as is the rear glass. I replaced it all with tinted lexan. Doing that dropped enough weight to where the 2 inch drop was basically for nothing at this point, as the truck is riding about as high as it was. I talked to a good friend who does this stuff for a living and he told me what I can still take out and what I need to keep to keep the structure of the truck in tact, so after I get some new parts for this plasma cutter I'll take his advice and finish it up. each door had nearly 28 lbs of metal, glass, and steel in it, and the rear gate was closer to 35. with the rest of the glass out thats good for about another 100 lbs that came out.

last night I cut the torsion bars and crossmember out, just to get them out of the way. I decided I'm going to use a coilover front setup and should have it in after the 1st of the month. cross member, torsion bars and all was close to 60lbs taken out. I gota couple tires off craigslist that I mounted at work today. I'll get those on and maybe post a pic up. I am hoping my lease on this cutter lasts until saturday...I need to finish up a few things on the frame and in the cab.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #56
where da white women at?

is this thing gonna be a street truck?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #57

yea, as long as I can get away with the exhaust, I've seen people around here get away with simular things so I have my fingers crossed. If i had to make changes to get it on the street I would. It just wouldn't be worth having if it couldn't be driven on the road.

I have another set of blocks that are going in the back here this weekend, and a set of monroe LL shocks that will go in to stiffen the whole ass end up. I plan on getting a zq8 sway bar and installing it as well (in the rear).

I ordered all of the fueling stuff for it yesterday and it should be here before the weekend, so hopfully that as well as the racetronix harness comes in so that I can install the whole fueling system.

Plans for this weekend:
finish gutting truck (2 doors left, 3 cross members, excess frame)
install fuel pumps, harness, tank, and lines
redo rear brakes
get wiring going and actually installed on the truck
mount radiator
get new blocks in
measure for driveshafts so I can get that going next week

I want to have this thing going by the first week of june...maybe not finished, but driving.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #58

lol oh man that thing is ragged.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #59

Would you have to move the motor back if you wanted to install a 3800 supercharged motor into a 2wd s-10? Backing into with the 4l60e trans ?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #60

Not like I did. If you had the camaro oil pan you could get it much closer to the front of the truck. The 4wd frame has the crossmember a bit farther back, and the front diff sits right where the starter wants to be. Thats why mine is so far back. your real issue will be how low you can get the motor to sit down in the frame, and how your gonna get air into the motor. As I'm sure you know the supercharger exit will be in the back of the motor, and your options are to either get the pieces off of a holden to make it work, make your own, or chop into the firewall. I personally have no fear of shopping into firewalls...lol

yea, the ragged look is a pretty good one for this truck, it wouldn't be the same if it looked nice
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #61

Quote: Originally Posted by BMFB
Not like I did. If you had the camaro oil pan you could get it much closer to the front of the truck. The 4wd frame has the crossmember a bit farther back, and the front diff sits right where the starter wants to be. Thats why mine is so far back. your real issue will be how low you can get the motor to sit down in the frame, and how your gonna get air into the motor. As I'm sure you know the supercharger exit will be in the back of the motor, and your options are to either get the pieces off of a holden to make it work, make your own, or chop into the firewall. I personally have no fear of shopping into firewalls...lol

yea, the ragged look is a pretty good one for this truck, it wouldn't be the same if it looked nice

ok sweet ya that helps and since my truck will be bagged it will have to worrie about ground clearance thats forsure...

thank you for the help im sure ill have more questions once i get the motor and spare frame to start test fitting everything on the frame
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #62
where da white women at?

i think you should leave it looking like that. itll be such a sleeper!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #63
Layd the **** out

Any exhaust parts from the motor to the turbo inlet really should be back purged with argon and tig welded. I personally wouldn't touch anything to that exhaust other then a tig machine. Its really just asking for problems any other way.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #64

alright, I have no pics right now, but I thought it would be worth an update

I bought a cage from s&w cages, made from mild steel. I decided on mild instead of moly for the simple fact that I can weld mild without fear of it shattering in a roll over. also the 40 lbs differeance doesnt hurt my feelings too bad.

I also bought a set of impact racing 5111111 5 point harnesses to go along with the cage, and some compition engineering harness bracets to help me mount them to the cage.

I also purchased the torque converter I needed, which is a precision industries vig. converter with a 3400 stall.

I tried to buy a set of injectors but they're a bit harder to find than I thought they would be, the line I had on a set is gone, so i am trying to find another.

I got my headers welded up, they look pretty good. I installed them into the truck and it looks like the one tube that links them got slightly warped, but it still lines up and bolts up fine.

All of my fuel line came in, and I started putting some of it together last night, although i am going to wait for my filter to come in, so that I can actually have it all cut to the correct lenth. also waiting on my racetronix harness to come in, I talked to them today, they say it shoudl ship out friday or monday and be here next week.

I finished gutting the truck, and cut a few things off the frame that I didn't think were needed, and got rid of the cross member that held in the torsion bars. With the jackstands just behind the front wheels I could bench press the back of the truck off the back jacks...

I completly rebuilt the back brakes and replaced the lines back there, as well as the lines up front going from the metering valve to the flex hoses. I still need to get my hands on some new rotors and pads. and bleed them...

I lowered the back another 2 inches, and I decided against going with the LL coilover assist shocks. even without the shocks in there yet, its really stiff with the removed weight. I am going to try this set of bilstiens I have laying around and see how they do.

I went though and re-did the harness off of the original car. I got it down to what I need, and cleaned it up so its ready to go into the truck. I plan to run the whole thing off of a switch...other little things will include a relay for the fans, but thats really all i can think of, the original truck still has everything, and all i will need to do is run the fuel pump on wire from teh pcm into whats left of the wiring to the fuel pump on the truck. That will only be a signal wire at that point for the relays in the racetronix harness...

things I need to buy still
coil over setup for the front end
alternator
powersteering pump res.
belt...
rotors, pads,
prolly some foam for the cage...
oil pressure, volt, fuel, tach, and trans temp gauge (I have boost, and water)
misc hoses, goofy fittings for the turbo feed and drain lines
lexan to replace the back glass with
cone filter...
transcooler.
Floor shifter
I should be able to get most of those things here in the next week or so...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #65

got some work done over the weekend. I managed to take my trans out, get it bolted together correctly and fully attached to my transfer case, seal the whole thing, and install it, with my torque converter into the truck. It was a pain in the ass to find my torque converter bolts and flex plate bolts, with which I had ignorantly thew them in with the rest of my collection of bolts. While I had to cross-member out that I had made I welded more steel to it so that it was stronger. I also welded in a set of hood pins for the hood finally, after a large windstorm blew the hood off of the truck, and mother nature dragged it mercilessly across my driveway and yard.

I replaced my alternator bracket with one that I found, and it comes complete with BOTH heater hose fittings...it looked new and clean, so I rubbed some dirt on it so that it would blend in with everything else.

tonight I ordered a set of QA1 shocks and eibach coils for the front end, as well as a pro-ratchet shifter, a push bottun starter, and some misc fittings. The cage should be here this week, and I cannot wait to install it next weekend. If I get lucky maybe I'll have time to install my wiring harness and fuel stuff too, as now I have all of that.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #66

update time

heres a few pics of the cage, and some weird stuff had to happen but I think I did it all right. also, I spend little time documenting what I did with pics so, sorry.

just getting started, prolly took 3 hours to get the hoop in there where we wanted it and get it attached. its moved over about an inch and a quarter to the drivers side to give me some more room. I mocked the seat in with some mounts to make sure it was gonna work and fee good. The big issue at first was that the hood didn't meet up with the frame and I had to use the 2x3 steel blocks to attach it. second big issue side crash braces ended in space about 6 inches from the floor with nothing under them frame wise. I solved that problem with some steel plate. its surprisingly solid...

Keep in mind this isn't done yet, the far box needs to be welded completly and the closer ones only halfway finished with plating. Also you can see the 2x3 boxes howling up the main hoop, and the bracing on the top to the frame to help give it strength.

difficult to see but I put a 3/8s plate coming off the bottom of the 2x3 box to give it additional strongness...

I also managed to take out the front shocks in preporation for the new ones. I have a friend of mine doing some machine work to my qa1 coilovers so that they fit better, he should be done soon. My fueling harness finally came in, as well as some other parts. After I get the cage finished this week I want to get the fueling and wiring in. I know I'll be out there wednesday and thursday after work, so hopefully I can get the welding done.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #67

Looken good man like the stance

O and is that a hood scoop mounted on your side window?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #68

alright, I lost a few pics...but heres what I've been up to.

not much to see, hawk pads, new centrics. In the darkness behind them you can see the coilovers sitting in the shock towers.

decent pic of the coilovers, and an upclose of the wideband bung on the exhuast.

I started taking my cardboard cutouts I had for the doghouse and turning them into steel.

by the way, this pic should be a good all around idea of the quality of work being done. garbage can sawhorse, goofy jack/chair support. old aluminum drywall square as a guide for the plasma cutter. working being done on top of old pieces of Berber carpet which turns out never catch on fire, and even rarely melt.

I mocked the seat in to make sure it was gong to be comfortable when I sat in it and operated the throttle, which was also mocked in but I took it out before I took this pic. I was worried about the sharp corners but I dont think I;ll ever come into contact with them while I'm strapped in.

passenger side is a bit tight...

thought I would throw this in here...I got caught making racecar noises...

my gf started doing some sketches for the hood...

overall stance after the coilovers were actually installed and supporting the weight of the truck. I should note, the springs might be a little stiff....
Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #69

also, the scoop is for what will become the transcooler
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #70

This thing is sweet. Looking forward to see some videos of it running.
Can you give more info on the front coil over set up? Like part numbers etc.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #71

well, I managed to get all of the gauges hooked up, and working (amazing, I know) ended up with more gauges than I initially planned for, and had to expand the 'pod' a bit

I also fixed the wideband, and mounted cig lighter for tuning charging puposes

pic of the wiring mess, its a bit better than it was but its still ugly and needs time. In this pic the TB was off so that I could clogg the fresh air intake part of the TB so that under boost the crank case stays neutral...

In other news it actually started tonight for the first time. It was an amazing thing, and I'm not sure how to describe the sound of it. Closest thing I could think of is like three 2-stroke motor cycles idling next to each other and somehow having a whistle and a cam loop between the three of them. its goofy...but it brought a smile to my face. so far the only issue that i have found is that my trans is leaking right where I didn't put a bolt into it. I left the bolt out because it interfered with my mount, but tomorrow I am going to have to take the mount out and re-engineer it to fit that bolt, shouldn't be a big issue. only other issues are lack of cooling fan, pass. seat, kick down cable. I hope to get the trans fixed tomorrow and get the seat mounted, and maybe even the fan, and then get the cable wednesday and get that figured out. nothing I can't do pretty quickly.

Let me look around and I can give you those part numbers
Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #72

Shock - QA1 DR4855P aka DS402
Springs -Eibach 0900.225.0700 (9 inches long, 2.25 ID 700lbs/inch) , Bearing Kit - COM8T-102PK

this spring setup is a bit agressive, and unless you want it to ride like a tank Id go with a 600 or a 550 (I run a 600 on my ty and it rides good, although other people complain (women))
Old 06-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #73

very interesting build
Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #74

Quite the aggressive build - impressive -
A couple concerns -

The turbo's placement - arm & moment is under stress - major bracket for moral support is needed out to the turbo's flange -

Typically turbo's are kept close to the source - http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxra...0/images/4.jpg
Vs DSCN1738-1.jpg

The Interior - Engine cowling - I'd rather see scrap exhaust pipe sliced lengthwise in 3rd's
and used for corners of the box.
Or some modified padding in place - that's going to leave a mark / painful.

The next concern -

What's going on in the bottom end of motor to handle the added boost -
Stock bottom ends can deal with 10ish PSI of boost -
I have bad feeling if more is applied - I've pulled out twisted rods before -

I-Beam connecting Rods. http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxra...3/images/1.jpg
Oil pump needs to be upgraded.

I see a blow off - what about waste gate? -

Exhaust - As for high tech welding with Heli-Arc, and purged -
If you have decent wirefeed welder, with gas shielding - just go for it -
I use the Millermatic® 140 Auto-Set - best for this - 110v as well -
Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #75
What rules?

Quote: Originally Posted by Philscbx
Quite the aggressive build - impressive -
A couple concerns -

The turbo's placement - arm & moment is under stress - major bracket for moral support is needed out to the turbo's flange -

Typically turbo's are kept close to the source - http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxra...0/images/4.jpg
Vs DSCN1738-1.jpg

The Interior - Engine cowling - I'd rather see scrap exhaust pipe sliced lengthwise in 3rd's
and used for corners of the box.
Or some modified padding in place - that's going to leave a mark / painful.

The next concern -

What's going on in the bottom end of motor to handle the added boost -
Stock bottom ends can deal with 10ish PSI of boost -
I have bad feeling if more is applied - I've pulled out twisted rods before -

I-Beam connecting Rods. http://www.cxracing.com/product/cxra...3/images/1.jpg
Oil pump needs to be upgraded.

I see a blow off - what about waste gate? -

Exhaust - As for high tech welding with Heli-Arc, and purged -
If you have decent wirefeed welder, with gas shielding - just go for it -
I use the Millermatic® 140 Auto-Set - best for this - 110v as well -

Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #76

philscbx says my forth post is dedicated to busting your balls BMFB lol
Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #77

well, a brace to the support the turbo is something I have thought about, but the pipe is pretty thick, and I think its got a fighting chance. I am going ot keep an eye on it though. as for the box, that something I have also looked at, as its pointy and my legs touch it, but that joint sits back pretty far and I cant seem to hit myself on it. whats left of the door panel scares me alot more...

as for the motor I've a seen a few of them make well in excess of 600hp, and for how little money is into it, I'm willing to let it ride. I welded the exhaust up with a wirefeed, and did a pretty good job with it.

heres a short vid of one of the first starts I just did today. battery was a bit dead/running a bit rich. fuel was a mix of C16 and E100

Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #78

had an issue where it wouldn't go into gear, and I wasn't getting any sort of line pressure. I figured it was something with the front pump not being engaged but when I tried to slide the TC into the trans farther it wouldn't budge. I tried to pull the trans out friday but I sliced my hand on an old front pump I was looking at for reference, and took a break. Today I managed to pull the trans and t-case out and get it apart with the help of a friend. after looking it over carefully we determined that 1. my front pump is badass and 2. it wasn't being engaged by the TC properly. With the trans out of the truck and vertical we were able to get it into the trans correctly, and re-installed the whole thing into the truck. I need to make some pretty big shims to get the distance off of the flex plate I am going to need, but I think I can get something together before the end of tomorrow. the pump now def. works, and even with the TC being turned by hand it is pumping fluid. I hope to be idling it around my yard tomorrow after work.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #79

cool
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #80

Very interesting build, I look forward to seeing it move under it's own power and maybe even a dyno run or two once you have in all buttoned up. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #81
where da white women at?

why does the engine need to sit so far back??
Old 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #82

well, still having some problems, but nothing too bad
I guess I'll start with the bad, its having a big issue with starting. I believe its a few issues all forming into one, but when you try to start it it will turn over and then hit a wall, and freeze the starter, it will eventually start like this, but its frustrating. The wire leading to the starter is 2 gague, so its pretty thick, but after a few starting attempts its pretty hot. my theory is 1) the battary is a bit weak, and not able to provide an good voltage to the starter. 2) the cable is thick, but not thick enough concidering its almost 10 feet long. 3) when the voltage drops it dropps conciderably, like to 8 volts. this is triggering a low voltage event in the PCM and it reacts by increasing the pulsewidth of the injecter, to try an counter act the lowered injector supply voltage. This would be fine and danady in a normal car, but I have 1000cc injectors, and its just flooding the motor. I might be able to get rid of all of these issues with a new battary, but I am going to play with it a bit. Another note is when the pedal is floored it will go into a clear flood event and shut off the injectors. once this is done the motor turns over like a champ, until the pedal is reterned from WOT then it floods almost instantly.
the power steering pump bolts broke off. I am having a machining friend of mine repair the block while its still in the truck tomorrow.
also the headlights and blinkers do not work as of yet, and there is a small vaccum leak

the good

brake lights!
it is now insured and registered, I managed to cut my registration costs in half with a vanity plate.
it drove out of and back into the garage, and had decent brakes.
neighbors hated it.
fans work great.
once its running it runs like a champ

The engine has to sit back so far because of clearance issue between the oil pan and the front axle. Although even with it that far back the back of the truck can still be lifted off of the ground by that drift blazer guy you guys hated, and when its on jackstands with the front stands as far forward on the frame as they can be I can benchpress the back end off the ground. As cool as that sounds though, it scares me alot...
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #83

think of having the starter tested?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #84

starter works fine when there is no fuel flooding it. When I say flooding I mean like liquid fuel spraying out of the exhaust.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #85

I hired a friend of mine to get the broken bolt off from inside the block , and he managed to do that for me for 30 bucks, which was a pretty good deal considering how ****ed it was. In the mean time I managed to install the pass. seat and harness, and he stuck around and helped with the oil change, wire 'tuck' and the other little things it took to get it to the point where we felt like it would be a good idea to actually drive the thing. At 1:30 in the morning we reached that point and packed up the extra c-16, tools, laptop, and fire-blankets for the first journey to meijers for E85. we got in, strapped in, and started it. It started the best it ever has. I back out of the garage and started heading down the driveway. It was taking a bit more rpm than I though it should to get there, but I figured it could have been the higher stall converter. I made it to the street and couldn't get it to accelerate, so we decided to turn around about about 150 feet. Keep in mind this thing is destroying all of what was 1:30 am silence. I stopped, backed into a driveway, and when I put it in gear it was gone, no more forward...so I shut it off with it half in the street....long story short, we pulled it back home with a truck, and there it is sitting. I was too afraid to start it again for fear of the people around me figuring out where it came from. I will say I believe that it is a result of low trans fluid.

it definitely drove down the street, and the belt defiantly didn't fall off, so there were some good things that happened still.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #86
the village idiot

The starting issue might just be a ground problem my mustang did the same thing when the engine to frame ground broke and I didn't realize it had
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #87

Starting issue seemed to respond well to new battery and cables, we will see how it goes. I do have some kind of parasitic draw...

It lives...still need some kinks worked out, and this is the first attempt at a launch, or even heavy throttle. gonna need anti lag to get the thing to launch better. after about 20 feet the turbo halfway spooled to 2-5 psi and it spun all 4 and felt pretty neat...

http://www.facebook.com/v/612144836513

I need to hook up a switch for the anti-lag, go through and locktite some of the stuff...everywhere...because it shakes like hell. I also need to figure out what went wrong bolting the core support down because even though it has a bolt in both sides, one side is obviously not attached to the frame...I also need a switch for the trans lock-up, which I hope fixes the super slipping tranny feel. its PI Vig. 3200 stall converter and it doesnt really feel like my other one in the ty, its just slop basically up until 3000 rpm, but it could be the exhaust making it seem like its working harder than it is. I hope its not the trans slipping but that launch kinda made me feel better about that.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #88

I've been tinkering with it, playing with the tune a bit and fixing little issues they come up. still has a leaky trans cooler line, but I think I've fixed everything else. I'm happy with the way its put together, for example I had a leak from the top of my gas tank and within 4 minutes I had the tank down and hanging so I could work on it. Other than that nothings really new, but its slowly progressing.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #89
Needs mo POWA!

badass, i helped my buddy build a 3800 camaro with an m90 supercharger on it. but thats getting ripped off for a t67 turbo soon. f-all these haters, this things cool as hell man. maybe slightly sketchy, but its not like its a daily driver, and the important things (brakes, lights) still work....right? lol These motors can take a damn good beating in stock trim, and if it blows up, replacements are cheap.

Rock on.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #90

Oh yea, lights are good, brakes are basically all new with the exception of the pass. side caliper and the master cylinder/booster. I've done my best to make it a well oiled, although ugly, and still a bit drippy, machine. The biggest thing I hear from people are 1. is that an air conditioner in the back? and 2. what are the chances of you cutting your leg up on that box? The box seems like its not going to hurt me too bad, although I may pad the pass side as its a bit different. Also that trans cooler is a must with that converter, that thing generates alot of heat, at least it did before the TC lock was functional.

The haters don't hurt my feels too bad, so far everyone who's seen it has fallen in love with it, ecspecially after they hear it run...

I was finally getting some time to go out and start tuning it and got my first drive where it actually ran pretty smooth, up until #4 spark plug wire fell off, but that was a simple fix. Unfortunately the inevitable happened after hitting the ditch kinda funny; the exhaust holding up the turbo cracked. Just a slight crack right after the number 2 cylinder, but I knew it was done. I built a brace off of the frame out of 1 inch round stock and bolted it to the T4 flange and repaired the damage to the header, I am hoping that this helps support the weight a bit better, it def. seems more solid. I'll keep an eye on it, I'm glad I haven’t wrapped it yet, I can prolly do the rest of the pipe and leave that area uncovered just so I can keep an eye on it. I am hoping that the motor being mounted solidly to the frame works out with this solid mount, if not I'll have to beef up the mount on the turbo and add a second flex pipe into place.

I am also going to have to do some work on my kickdown cable, it seems the bracket on the TB is a bit too long and is limiting me to 77% throttle, which spells bad news for timing advance. Shouldn't be a big deal
Old 08-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #91

Wow, its been a long time...

Its basically a running driving truck now, although I have spent nearly the last month trying to track down a timing issue which I just finally fixed. I just started tuning it last night and it seems to be responding great. so far on base boost it seems to be making ALOT of power, and with the first test of the anti lag it launched pretty damn hard. I still need to do some work on it, but its feels damn good to be out of the woods.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #92
Needs mo POWA!

vids of awd donuts?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #93

Awesome project
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #94
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

Nice build! loving the origiality on this truck! fůcking hardcore man!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #95

awesome man, it sounds pretty damn mean out of that downpipe.

Got a more recent video of some drive by's or something?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #96

I don't yet, I need to get something together for that, lol. I've been working with it and trying to get the bugs worked out over the last couple weeks, mostly being tuning stuff. My timing was really angry for a long time, but I think thats fixed.

I had it down to woodward saturday with the only real issue being the shifter cable fell off halfway down, but that was a pretty easy fix. That was by far its longest trip.

Tonight I'm gonna pull the valve body off the trans, and see what can't be improved for shift firmness, because it really seems to hate to shift...but holds great otherwise.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #97

been awhile.

Trans melted pretty early into making power, although at base boost it felt faster than my ty, even with crap shifts. I'm having a TH400 and converter being built for it right now by a local guy who has a good rep for them. With any luck it will be here this week and I can get it in. It took some research to figure out how to make all of it work together, but I think its gonna be good.

I also got a new translator for my MAF so that I can run more than 14psi into the motor.

Very fun truck, I'm hoping to get it to the dragstrip and an autox event before the end of the year.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #98

sizing up the adapter, had to grind a bit off the top of the trans to get the bolts to fit.

flex plate and adapter mounted to motor

a few forgetful hours later, trans in, and cross member modified in the ugliest strongest way I knew how

travis took this

some retuning stuff

also made it so that all the gauges actually lit up

SO I got the front propshaft in today, although to make it fit I had to take off the factory weights on the TC side (I don't think it matters, its been streached to 33 inches so...I don't think they were doing much anymore). I drive it kinda easy at first, and everything seems great. I did one wot pull and first gear was the spool gear, and after that it held 12lbs solid through twords the end of 3rd when i let off. It feels, decently fast. Although i havn't gotten the launch together yet, it pulls on the top end...at least as hard as the ty does. hard to gauge with no speedo...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #99
9" strait pipes...

sweet! now do something about the panels riveted on in various places
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #100

nope

So, took this and the pic scoot to the track on sunday.

first run was a 13.58 @105 with a 2.2 60 ft. looked like it made around 14lbs of boost, and blew the fuel rail off at some point down the track.
a few degrees of timing later it ran a 12.8 @110 witha 2.2 60ft.
third run we leaned it out, and ran the same, 4rth run with 2 lbs more boost felt better, but they didn't record the time. Then they shut the track down.

went home and started playing with boost, we got it up to 18 lbs and it felt like the whole things woke up, and it was a totally different truck. This somewhat lined up with what I thought was going to happen, between the huge turbo and how the torque converter was going to act. its running on 20 psi and feels pretty quick...ecspecially compaired to when it was on the track.

The truck feels good going down the track, stays straight, brakes are increadible, although the launch is aweful. like, a 12.8 with a 2.2 60 is actually a decent first run IMO. that 60ft should be closer to 1.5, but its gonna take something extra to get it spooled fast enough. Right now its doing better than it was at the track, I think due to increased spring pressure. Its still taking about half of first to get it up to full power (as oppsed to all of first like at the track). Converters real tight to, brake torque+anti lag is only getting me about 2psi on the line @2500rpm.

list of things to do now:
1. steering. Almost all of my front end could be replaced, its all wiggly, and has play. I have no issue with duralast parts for all of it. Also I need to figure out power steering, hoping that a camaro power steeing line will work, I may go get one from autozone for a test fit.

2. exhuast hole. One small hole we found I need to fix, and the gasket for the gate is leaking a bit. horribly placed 38mm gate seems to control boost very well. Although these are small, I am hoping they help spool...a little bit.

3. maf. Right now I'm running a maxed out maf sensor. I cannot use a translator on it. I can drill out the 98 style maf hole i have in my throttle body to fit a 99 style and i can mod that. I have a maf ready to go in, just need to drill some hole.

4. heat, defrost. Need to rigg up a box. Motor seems to keep things decent in the cab, but when it gets really cold I need some way to keep the windows not frozen. I want to run a box out of a civic, and do some light plumbing work to get it pointed at the windsheild.

5. blinkers, wipers. Somehow I ruined those parts of my harness. I need to find them and re-connect them.

6. an acutal exhuast might noe be a bad idea, at least some kind of muffler. the motor loves rpm, but its just so loud, the whole truck resonates at 3200 rpm.

Thats basically it, everything so far seems great. I am very happy with the way its coming together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.