S-10 Forum banner

Project: The car that ruined me. The Tofu Taxi.

9K views 215 replies 22 participants last post by  tajohns34 
#1 ·
Well. Some people were interested in a thread so here it is. This will be some slow updates as well

To start off. What we have here is a 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S. A car I've admired, had in every video I've ever played, always seen online and loved etc etc etc, but never cared much to learn about until a few years ago.

Why is this the car that ruined me? What an odd thread name.. This makes no sense... This guy is stupid.. It's a car.. He's just rambling now..

Yep. These are all true.

So lets start with some sorts of explanation.

I'd like to consider myself someone who is very in tune with their vehicles. I may not have the best knowledge and wording but I know how my vehicles handle, I know where they need improvement but most importantly, I know how I want them to perform.

I consider myself quite the spirited driver. I've spent the time I got my license till now with driving as a hobby, my go to when life gets tough and I need a breather. It's an art form. Making sure every clutch engagement is perfect, finding the perfect fluidity in steering the vehicle etc all that fun stuff.

I'm sure I sound odd but its whatever.

Soo...

Around the end of November, I purchased this car in Orlando and this is how she looked in the backroom of a small Father/son shop.

Now at this point I've looked it over, no rust, which is super important on these, engine is solid, high idle, but solid.

It has been hit once or twice but nothing structurally threatening.

Not big on the color plus it was a rather half assed respray but cleans up ok so it'll be fine for now.

See less See more
#2 ·
So after a test drive and finding the rear end is making tons of noise, yet the rest of the car feeling almost new I was now the proud and childishly excited owner of an AE86.

Stopped at Mcd's for a shake and figured hell why not take a pic next to my Canyon.

No bumper because he was keeping them.

#3 ·
So after driving it a good 60-70 miles towards home, babying it, not driving like a fool..

And absolutely enjoying every minute of it..

I found this car does everything I've ever wanted out of a vehicle. I'm in love at this point.

And then the rear end noises got a bit louder...

Now at this point, I'm about 20 miles from home on a nice twisty road.

Why not open her up a bit, give her the beans.

So I did.

And not more than 1 mile from. Where I blew the motor in my Noma.. The rear end decides it doesn't need teeth on the pinion anymore.

"Hello yes, AAA? I'm gonna need a tow"...

#4 ·
After waiting for the tow truck and getting back to the house I decided a few more crappy pics were in order.

#7 ·
Yes. It most definitely is going to be Panda one day. I can't imagine having it any other way.

#9 ·
It's not terrible, but its not as yellow as it looks.

It's actually closer to Canary yelow than just being yellow

#10 ·
I have had more Corollas than I can count.

I lived in Puerto Rico for a while, they had Corollas that were running 10s.
One guy had a 72 with every bolt on body part custom made with fiberglass - it was flawless. It also had a Ford 9" rear and the 3TC with custom built ITB fuel injection. I saw him run low 12s at La pista de Carolina.
And... Starlets were EVERYWHERE!

BTW, I have a Turn 6 rear sway bar - new in the box for this exact car...

The last Corolla I had was an 84 wagon the POS 4AC engine. I was going to go rotary 13B, but never got to it. A buddy bought it and hacked it all up.

Looks like you have a bunch of work ahead of you...

Tofu Taxi... :p:rotf:

#12 ·
Oh yes. The power these people are making out of those 3tc is ridiculous.

There's one on YouTube that's turboed making 600+hp....

Out of a 1.8L OHV....

Yet my 2.2 will never come close to that... Oh well I guess haha.

I don't find the 4ac is terrible but it no way compared to the 4A-GE that I have in it now.

Damn is that a fun motor...

Having to order every little part/gasket for it is quite annoying though.

It's definitely a lot of work but I'm willing to work towards the end goal. Even if it takes 10+years.

#14 ·
That would be nice.

I'm honestly thinking of picking up a 4A-GZE (Supercharged 1.6L from the MR2) for it and mildly modding that.

Should put me around 165 bhp respectably with some valevtrain work and a stronger/lighter bottom end.

#15 ·
Fun...
Here's a shot of my 78 Celica notch back (coupe) with a Buick 3.5 litre aluminum V8 installed. It has a Z28 T5 behind it.

Yes Dickey, it is quick.
Some of my friends call it "the car with the wrong sound"...

And the 4AC ...

Even with a decent Weber 32/36 on it, and a big exhaust, it was a mega slug. I ran it at State Capital - the best it could do was a 19 second 1320 at about 68 MPH.

Toyota was really hot on that diarrhea brown color in the 70s and 80s. Ugh. I must have owned 5 or 6 with that color.

#17 ·
I knew you'd like the thread title as soon as I made this thread lol

Curious how many people know the correlation of what I mean by it haha

#20 ·
^^ I haven't mentioned my age, but yeah, sounds pretty improbable that I have done so much weird crap. I
guess the only supporting docs I have are the pix I post. Otherwise, I'm just another blowhard... :rolleyes:

But... you know... the truth is stranger than fiction.

I work for the Gov't and travel all the time, so Uncle Sam pays my way and I see alota stuff.
That is why I was in Puerto Rico.

I can say this much - the PRs are WAY into making rice go fast. Like really fast.
8 second Toyo Starlets? Not all that uncommon.

Check it out:
http://www.taxi-photos.com/picture/number203.asp

Believe it or not, it is a Toyota.

#22 ·
Ah yes I guess I should update this. I've got bumpers now. I picked them up from the guy I bought it from.

It has the Japan model bumpers on it before I bought it. Now I've got the ugly, heavy US bumpers... No bueno.

#24 ·
This is very true. But look up the Zenki bumpers for an AE86 and compare them to the US bumpers.

We always get the ugly imports lol

#27 ·
So made some progress on it the next weekend after I bought it. Went and collected the USDM bumpers and hood from the guy I bought it from.

Disregard the s10 hood, didn't have a hood to cover it when I brought it home. Had a carbon fiber hood but that wasn't in the deal. Brought it to him the day after I bought said car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.