Project: Save Dad's Truck from the Scrap Heap - Page 6 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project: Save Dad's Truck from the Scrap Heap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #251

User is: OffLine
Re: Project: Save Dad's Truck from the Scrap Heap

Quote: Originally Posted by stevbrei
Just read thru most of the thread, good to see you keep the truck and the memories of your dad.

Hope you're still at it with the truck . My dad had a 89 Std Cab LB that he got from his uncle in 95/96. Unc was giving away all kinds of stuff just to keep it away from the inlaws. Eventually Unc passed and dad inherited his 92 Caddy, then my dad passed and I inherited both. It's cool to have something from the past that reminds you of your folks.

I also have a 92 S10 Blazer with the same alloy wheels you put on your truck. I like the way you made the center caps, good idea, will have to try someting like that too.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #252

Thanks, EVJAXX. I ended up getting rid of the centercaps when I moved out of my apartment into my house. I'm thinking I'm going to wait until I can find a set of real center caps. Sorry to lead anyone on to think that new center caps could be made, but they can't, unless you spend at least as much on clips as the OEM caps themselves. Please don't try to make them.

I drove the truck a couple of times earlier today. It made me feel a bit closer to my dad. I'm sorry to say this, but it makes me sad that I didn't get to hang out with my dad more before the end came. Now, the only link I feel like I have is this truck...well, that, and the huge Nestle Crunch bar I found in his house after his death. It's in a Ziploc bag in my closet, and I almost cry every time I see it. I miss him so much. I'm sorry to be unloading all of this on you, but it's been over four years, and I wish so much that I could let my dad have this truck back. I miss him so much.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #253
"Da Dog"

Man, what you're going through is understandable. I feel the same way about my Grandma, and she passed in '95.
Never forget the time that you did get to spend with him.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #254
100000 Internet points!

User is: Online

Sorry to hear about your father. Cancer is a crazy thing to go through. My dads battling brain cancer right now. Good to see your keeping his truck alive! I bet he's smiling about it!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #255
i don't like people

^ agreed what could make any one happier
Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #256

@koeberle04, I'm sorry about your dad going through brain cancer. Give him my best. I hope things turn out okay for him. I've been dealing well with my dad's death for the past few years, but I still have a lot of regrets, which I'll likely never get over. My main focus right now is to keep the truck running, and restore it as well as I can because it's really the only thing I have left from him. Considering he wanted an S10 so badly for about ten or fifteen years before he got this one, it makes me really happy to keep it going, especially after my siblings (except my brother) couldn't care less about it before I came in and fixed it. Originally, I was hoping to have it painted by now, but I'm realizing that's going to be at least a year (probably two or three) away, which is fine. Thanks everyone, for your support.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #257

BTW, sorry, no recent pics. The truck still looks pretty much the same as the pics I posted in August of last year.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #258
i don't like people

no worries just never get rid of it. do what you want with it and just flat out enjoy your time with it and working on it.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #259
Professional Insultant

I've read through this thread a few times, I guess I never left a comment.

I love checking this thread and seeing the progress, truck looks great!

Looked like a fun road trip in it too

So... What are those rims called? I think they'd look good on a ZR2.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #260

Quote: Originally Posted by TokoDragon
I've read through this thread a few times, I guess I never left a comment.

I love checking this thread and seeing the progress, truck looks great!

Looked like a fun road trip in it too

So... What are those rims called? I think they'd look good on a ZR2.
Thanks! I'm not sure what the wheels are called...I've seen people refer to them as "snowflake" wheels though. They're pretty rare; only offered 1991 through 93 on the S10 and Sonoma. There was also a version available on the Astro and Safari, but those have a different bolt pattern. I don't know if they would work on a ZR2 since they're 2WD wheels, so they might stick out too far.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #261
Professional Insultant

^ Yeah I tried to find them online, a few places sell them, (some are reproduction, some are refurbished) but still don't give them a name or RPO code lol.

All I could determine is they are most likely 4'' of backspace, if they were at least 4.5'' backspace they would work.

They look great on your truck
Old 07-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #262

They're almost impossible to find...especially for a complete set. I got mine on eBay...less than $200 for the set, if I remember correctly. They're in tough shape though. They'll need to be sanded and painted, and the edges need to be polished pretty badly. They still look better than the rusted steel wheels that were on there though.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #263

I went to the UPull yard in Aurora yesterday, and it looked like the majority of their vehicles had been completely picked over. I wanted to ask them if it gets expensive holding onto that much inventory that doesn't make them any money.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #264

They are probably waiting to crush them when the scrap prices go up. Nice that you are keeping the truck and on finding a house. Even if you don't get to work on the truck very often, the memories will always be there.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #265

So, if you remember from some of the earlier pics on this thread, there's a rust hole at the bottom of the driver's side fender, which I plan to replace, of course. However, in the last few weeks, I've noticed water dripping out of that spot, even when I haven't driven through any water. It's not fuel, not oil, doesn't seem to be coolant or windshield washer fluid. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? The A/C isn't connected (Doesn't have a compressor) so I know it's not that. I'm guessing that it's been leaking there for several years, and that that's what rusted out that fender from the inside out, considering there's no rust at all in the same place on the passenger side.

I'd like to figure out where the water is leaking from so I can fix that before I replace the fender. I'm actually glad that I haven't replaced the fender yet, because I don't want the same thing to happen again, if that's what rusted the original fender. Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #266

Could it be water trapped in the wiper cowl area? Maybe something is stopping it from draining like its supposed to, like leaves.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #267

It's crazy to think that it's been two years since I got the truck running. If you remember from an earlier post, I installed a brand new battery back then when we got it running back in late 2011. Well, after fewer than 4000 miles, that battery gave up the ghost this winter, and was no longer holding a charge. It was a Walmart nEverStart Value battery, which only had a one-year warranty, and apparently no pro-rated warranty after the one-year free replacement warranty was up. So, rather than spend $80 on another battery that was only going to last another two years, I dropped $120 on an ACDelco battery with a 42-month warranty. Considering I make it a point to never shop at Walmart, and thus haven't been to a Walmart more than three times in the last three years, I'll also be replacing the nEverStart battery in my Mazda with a different brand.

Another ridiculous thing that happened recently was that the driver's side window regulator failed for the second time on the Mazda. The first time it happened was four years ago, the day after I moved to Colorado. I brought it to the dealership because nobody else was open on that Saturday, and they claimed to have the part in stock. $300 later, they had me back on the road with the window working (although making weird noises.) Fast forward to last week when I got back to my car after work to find the driver's window open. I knew immediately that the regulator had failed again, but I was determined to fix it myself this time. When I took the old regulator out, I saw that it looked suspiciously like an original one (with a manufacture date of 6/30/2003, when the car was manufactured in July, 2003.) Although I can't prove it, it looks like Gateway Mazda in Aurora, Colorado restrung the cable in the regulator, reinstalled it in the car, and then charged me $96 for a NEW part. Fortunately the Dorman replacement part has a guard around the pulley, which looks like it'll keep the cable from coming off of the spool, so I hope this is the last time I'll have to replace the window regulator on that car.

So, when I go to buy a new Mazda CX5, I'll be bypassing Gateway Mazda, and heading to a different dealer. Don't worry, guys; it'll be years before I'll be able to afford a new car, and when I do, I'll still be keeping Dad's S10.

Still haven't figured out the cause of the water leakage in the driver's side fender, or replaced the steering box/rag joint, although I've had those parts for over a year. :-( Too many issues to deal with on the new house.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #268

All I can say is no matter what you do, do NOT sell or give away this truck. You will regret it for the rest of your life. I have my Dad's toolbox and it's not going anywhere ever. I plan to pass it on to my children etc etc.

Chin up, he's in a better place now.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #269

Sucks about the battery and window regulator. Maybe do the jeep shaft instead of the rag joint? Just a thought. You have the truck and the memories, work on it when you have time.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #270
i don't like people

heck i know i have 4/5 vehicles willed to me from my fam that i would love to own but never really want under those circumstances and id rather see them rot in my back yard then see them in some one else's hands. keep at it, and do what you can!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #271

Yeah, I have no plans to get rid of it. Zach, I have my dad's old toolbox too. I just need to make it to ND sometime to get it.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #272
I have terrible luck...

I haven't been on this forum in a good while, but I'm glad to see you're still working on this truck.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #273

I know, I laughed when I read that one the first time too. It does have the 20 gallon tank, but I have no idea what this additional 3 gallons means, considering the only other available tank was 13 gallons. I guess it just means it has the bigger of the two tanks, and someone at GM didn't know how to do math.

I'm going to start referring to it as an "S10 with the 8E1 package," and then when people ask what that means, I'll act like.. "Um...everyone knows that means it has an additional 3-gallon fuel capacity!"

additional 3 gallons is a code for the 3 gallons of gas they put in it at the factory. Some that were going overseas or elsewhere didnt get gas put in them.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #274

Nice. That makes sense.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #275

Quote: Originally Posted by 85Monster
I haven't been on this forum in a good while, but I'm glad to see you're still working on this truck.
How's it going, man?! I haven't seen you on here in forever. Still have your truck? How's the new car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #276

Haven't been on in a while, but I thought I'd give a quick update. I've been working lately on replacing the steering box and joint, but it's not going well. Can't even get the steering shaft to collapse, even after several soaks of PB Blaster. I might have to just go ahead and get a new shaft...however, the old one still won't come off unless I pull the steering box first, which hasn't actually happened yet. I can deal with the sloppy steering for now, so I may just put this part of the project off for a while.

I'll be getting the emissions tested again soon. I was kind of nervous about it because it barely passed the HC test last time, but then I remembered that I've replaced the plugs and wires since then, so I should be getting a more complete fuel burn, which should take care of that issue. I'll share the results once I have it done.

I'm also ready to start prepping the body for (eventual) paint. I'll be posting pics soon of my progress. My plan is to replace the rusted cab corner, grind down the rust spots on the bed, and etch prime them. I'll also be replacing the passenger side door (possibly both...I'm thinking of finding a set of Blazer doors with power locks and windows. Have any of you ever wired those up on a truck that didn't have that from the factory?) The driver's side fender has that huge rust hole in it, so I'll be replacing that fender too.

Then...a whole lot of sanding. Got to get all of that rattle-can paint off, which I'm expecting to be a PITA. Anyone have any suggestions for making that any easier?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #277
S-10 and a Cummins

I have done the wiring for the locks and windows. It just takes time but fairly easy
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #278

Just keep on plugging away on it, it will get there eventually. On one of my old trucks, I had to use a pry bar to move the steering shaft. Maybe that will work for you. Do a search for the Jeep steering shaft in the forum. I believe they work best on 1st gen S10s.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #279

Waiting at the DMV to renew the tags on it. Just left the emissions testing center. It looks like replacing the plugs and wires a couple of years ago was exactly what I needed to do to fix the high HC (hydrocarbons in the exhaust due to unburned fuel) reading. Two years ago, the HC reading was 2.7959 GPM (limit of 3 GPM, so it just barely passed.) Today's reading: 0.7016 GPM, so it has become a fairly clean-running truck.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #280

This is a good thread. Members here are the best, I was about to scrap my dime and between everyone here and my wife I was talked out of it and I'm glad. Keep up the work and look forward to seeing more.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #281

Glad to see you are still with it. Amazing what a small tune can do.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #282

Little bit of a setback...
Attached Thumbnails
Project: Save Dad's Truck from the Scrap Heap-1406411203337.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #283

Little bit of a setback...
What happened?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #284

An old lady ran a stop sign and slammed right into me. Spun me around 180 degrees. Everyone was okay though, so that's the main thing that matters.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #285

An old lady ran a stop sign and slammed right into me. Spun me around 180 degrees. Everyone was okay though, so that's the main thing that matters.
Glad to hear everyone is ok including the lady who hit you. So I guess a new bed and a bumper is on the list now.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #286

Dang! Glad everybody is ok. Hope she had good insurance.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #287

She has State Farm. I've already started fighting with them. Of course, they're trying to pin it on me, without having seen the police report. The person in their claims call center asked me, "What was the purpose for your trip yesterday?" I answered with "I don't feel that that question is relevant to the incident. It might be a better idea to ask YOUR customer that question, considering she was basically 'wandering' ten miles away from where she thought she was, and had no idea that there were any other cars on the road, or that stop signs even existed when she slammed into my vehicle."

I told them that this is a classic vehicle, basically a family heirloom, so it has sentimental value in addition to whatever minimal price they think it's worth. It's 26 years old, and sufficient (rust-free) parts to fix the damage are almost nonexistent. Buying a replacement bed will cost more in shipping costs than the price of the part itself.

I drove it to southeast Aurora (about 12 miles away) this afternoon to help a friend move a few things from her old house. It seemed to drive as straight as it did before the accident, so I think the frame is okay. One thing that made me nervous though, was that one of the rear tires broke loose and started spinning when I was turning a corner. Considering that this truck has a G80 diff, that has never happened, and should never happen. Since the right rear wheel was the first place that the car struck my truck, could that have damaged the differential?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #288

I would have told them it was none of their , insert multiple cuss words, business what you was doing. That's crazy and funny at the same time. It could have damaged the diff by pushing the axle in too far. I would go ahead and start getting estimates (with the shop checking the frame!) I would take it to the chevy dealer, gmc dealer, and any other reputable body shop. Because it is an old truck, the insurance co. will probably want to total it. You do not have to accept that at all. Make sure you insurance company is aware of what the vehicle means to you so they can fight it out with the other one.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #289

Yeah, I'm going to take it in to a few places for estimates tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #290

If you have to get a copy of the police report and get your insurance company involved.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #291

Quote: Originally Posted by Carolina Man
If you have to get a copy of the police report and get your insurance company involved.
One step ahead of you there. Already have both.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #292

One step ahead of you there. Already have both.
Great State Farm doesn't like dealing with another insurance company.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #293

State Farm doesn't like working with anyone, and they particularly won't like working with me when this is over with. I don't like traditional insurance companies. You can NEVER get a hold of your agent, and you end up on hold forever, waiting on a call center to take care of your claim, which is what happened when I called their State Farm rep. I have Esurance, and was able to get a hold of someone immediately when I called them. It also makes me feel a bit better knowing they're owned by Allstate. So basically, I have Allstate insurance, without paying for an agent that I'll never be able to get a hold of anyway.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #294

State Farm doesn't like working with anyone, and they particularly won't like working with me when this is over with. I don't like traditional insurance companies. You can NEVER get a hold of your agent, and you end up on hold forever, waiting on a call center to take care of your claim, which is what happened when I called their State Farm rep. I have Esurance, and was able to get a hold of someone immediately when I called them. It also makes me feel a bit better knowing they're owned by Allstate. So basically, I have Allstate insurance, without paying for an agent that I'll never be able to get a hold of anyway.
I have 21st insurance which is owned by farm bureau. I get great service from them too. Esurance doesn't cover my area.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #295

I have 21st insurance which is owned by farm bureau. I get great service from them too. Esurance doesn't cover my area.
I had Farm Bureau when I lived in North Dakota (NoDak Mutual.) They had amazing service, and were HALF the price of State Farm, which is what I had before that.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #296

Good Luck, don't let them take it.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #297

Good Luck, don't let them take it.
Worst case scenario, if it's totaled, it's staying in my garage. I'll buy it back from them and rebuild it.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #298
Boozebag

You may be surprised at how much they give you. I am pretty sure it's totalled, but they may give you a few grand.
I have a decent bed that has almost zero rust on it. Beds are still out there, but not in Indianna...
After the insurance company sends an appraiser out, just pull the bumper off.
If your rear end is junk, bag a G80 unit with disc brakes from an 89 to 05 Blazer. It's a bolt in and is easy to swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.