Project Rolled ZR2 - Page 6 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project Rolled ZR2

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #251
Potato

User is: OffLine
Re: Project Rolled ZR2

Damn, don't know how I missed that one. Thanks for the link man.
My funds are limited right now but I e-mailed him to see how much he wants for the front fenders and flares.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #252
Potato

Today is a gettin shit done kinda day.
Got the box taken off the parts truck to make the cab swap easier.

And cause I know you guys like laughing at shotty work as much as I do. Here's what most of the box seems to be made of. I picked it up and it started cracking to pieces.
I don't think much of this box was actually metal anymore lol
And yes, you're seeing that correct, body fill and CARDBOARD.

So if I'm lucky, and everything goes smooth, I just might have the cab sitting on the ZR2 frame by tonight, so fingers crossed.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #253
Potato

Well she's sitting all pretty and ready to have the frame pulled out.

Unfortunately discovering some more issues. Rocker sills on the truck are shot, so there's more money to be spent. And a couple of the nuts inside the cab that the cab mount bolts thread into, have snapped off inside so there's only about 4 bolts that can actually be threaded in. And just noticed now that one of the actually mounts, where it attaches to the frame on the ZR2 is shot.

So right now I'm just beyond frustrated with this whole thing, it's one thing after another and my funds are pretty well non-existant at this point. I'm half tempted to just send the whole damn thing to the scrap yard and admit defeat.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #254
Potato

So the plan to pull the frame out and slide the ZR2 frame under it just went out the window. Only one of the bolts holding the box on will come out, and there's not way to grind the others out without completely destroying the mounts. So I'm basically back to square one and becoming more and more curious as to what both trucks would look like if they were lit on fire.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #255

That trucks been motornutted.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #256
A work in progress...

You've come to far to give up now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #257
Potato

Quote: Originally Posted by mostizzle
That trucks been motornutted.
That was my first thought when I saw it lol

Quote: Originally Posted by jasond
You've come to far to give up now.

Yes unfortunately lol Yesterday I was just beyond frustrated, I was out working on it for nearly 9 hours straight. She'll get done one way or another. If the rain holds off today I'm gonna see what I can do with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #258
Potato

Ok so tonight is gonna be attempt #2 at moving the cab. We're not 100% sure how we're gonna do it, we're pretty much just makin it up as we go. We've got a basic plan outlined, and I feel confident in saying that it is a horrible plan, possibly the worst way of going about it and it can really only end with large amounts of funny and horrible.

I'll update tonight whether everything is destroyed, or if by some stroke of a miracle we succeed. I'm kinda pushin to get it done ASAP cause I'm gettin married on Friday so today and tomorrow are really my only days for gettin shit done till next week.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #259

wow. Good luck I hope you can get it all back together again.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #260
Potato

Ladies and gentlemen, after a lot of hard work, and a tonne of luck, she's moved!!

Not the best pic, I'll get some more tomorrow during the day. I've still got a few things to do to it while I have it blocked up, then it'll be coming down and getting reassembled, but the main thing is the hard part is done.....For now.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #261

congrats!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #262
Potato

She's layin down on the frame, no more blocks. I didn't run into any problems with the transfer case, it fit like a glove. So that's some good information to have for future reference incase anyone else plans to swap a cab off a 2WD onto a 4WD.

Sorry again for the crappy pics, not sure what's goin on with my camera.

The hole in the floor where you can see the transmission and transfer case clear with plenty of space.

The old and busted cab, now more busted lol

And just a quick mock up with the gloss fenders and hood, everythings a little dusty from being in the garage for over a month

Not too sure when my next updates will be coming, hopefully Sunday. I'm getting married tomorrow so my weekend is pretty busy but now I'm really itching to get it all back together.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #263
Potato

Need a little bit of help, hopefully someone can chime in.

I started hooking everything back up underneath the hood but I'm left with 2 plugs and I can't figure out where they go.

This first one is on the driver's side right by the firewall, it's connected to the main wiring harness.

And then there's this one, it's located on the passenger side near the box for my AC and whatnot, but it traces back behind the engine.

Anyone know what they go to? I looked around and can't see anything they might plug into, but I've been staring at this truck so much lately everything is kinda blending together lol
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #264
My Torris

Can the plug into each other?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #265

That's what I was thinking.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #266
Professional Insultant

User is: Online

good to know the large lump in my floor was unnecessary as a 2wd cab will also clear the transfer case lol.

In Auto tech the teacher said USUALLY, on newer vehicles wires wont connect where they don't belong soo.... I'm with the others and see if they fit each other.

it's nice to see a non tinted excab too

Goodluck with the wedding!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #267
Potato

Never thought of connecting them together. The only reason that never popped into my head is because the wires are on opposite sides of the engine but it's possible that something got moved to the wrong spot during the swap, so I'll have to sneak out to the truck later today and have a look lol
Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #268
Potato

So I've got a bit of a dilemna on my hands. I have an offer for a trade on my truck. The trade is for a 1998 S10 ZR2, it has 180,000kms on it, nearly half of what mine does, looks to be in good shape, it's manual, AND it's a regular cab. And he wants to trade for my truck as it sits right now, he wants to use it as a project for him and his son.

So bonus is it's still a ZR2, I wouldn't have to do any more work, I'd be getting a truck with way less km's, in better shape, and it's got all 4 flares lol

Downside being I'd lose my extended cab which I don't care about, it just means I'd have to lose my sub and amp, it's 4 years older. And the biggest thing that's stopping me right now is just how much time and effort I've put into this truck so far.

This is the only picture I have of the truck right now, not the greatest. I told him I'd want to keep my rims and tires. And I'd be taking the brush guard off the front too, don't like that one bit.

I'm e-mailing him tonight to get some more pics of the truck and to find out some more info on it and I'll decide from there I suppose.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #269
Potato

He sent me some more pics so here they are.

So what do you guys think? I think it would look pretty good with my rims and tires on it, and the tonneau cover. I'd more than likely remove the brush guard and do something else with the lights, maybe 2 on the bumper near the middle, and the other 2 up by the windshild on either side by the mirrors.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #270

looks like a good deal!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #271

Quote: Originally Posted by Comedian03

8" body lift?!
keep at er man. i know how it feels to see a whole lot of dirty negativeness underneath your project! been there a few times
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #272
Potato

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As much as I do love this truck, I've gotten really attached to it since October, but I'm seriously considering trading for the regular cab ZR2. I'm pretty torn but I'm leaning towards the trade lol
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #273

Maybe try factoring the cost of what you need to do to both trucks to get them how you want and take that into consideration. It really is a labor of love with these things
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #274
Potato

Well with my truck I still need to put it all back together, finish the body work on the box, get new tires, hunt down some front flares, and fix my 4WD.

With this other truck I'd have to do none of that besides get new tires because I'd be keeping my tires and rims. It still needs work, but just odds and ends, that kinda stuff.

But right now it's not even about the amount of money or work, it's just this weird connection I have with the truck from putting some much time and effort into it and coming so far with it. Oh the mystical bond between man and machine lol
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #275

Honestly I would probably end up trading if it were me if the other truck checked to be what he represents it as(no hidden problems). Plus reg cab zr2's are pretty rare and they are badass. But I also understand the emotional attachment to the truck. I had a fenderbender the last month of high school but I ended up fixing it since it only had 100,000kms and my dad owned it since '02.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #276
Independent

Personally I would go with the trade if it is in good shape. Considering you just got married, you won't have to spend so much time and money on the truck and she won't be harping on you for wasting money.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #277
Maybe later.

Go for the trade. I think thats a good idea. Regular cab Zr2 would be badass.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #278

Single cab 5 speed ZR2 ftw!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #279
Potato

Well ladies and gentlemen, Project Rolled ZR2, is dead.
I did the trade.

Here's the new girl.

She's a little rough around the edges, it needs some touch ups here and there, plenty of scratches in the paint, the interior is completely filthy and there's a piece of the dash torn out around the passenger side vent, but I have a spare dash for it anyway. Not that I'll be doing another dash swap any time soon lol

First steps are going to be cleaning it up, removing the brush guard, and removing all of the stickers from the back window. Gonna get the exhaust changed too, it has no cat and a stainless steal Thrush muffler on it.

Tomorrow I'll go out and snap a lot more pictures of it and start a new project thread.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #280
It really is a POS!

If the truck is a 02 you need a 01+ cluster. And there is no 2wd cluster. There is one with a tach and one without. But if it is in a 2wd and the right year range your good for it to work in a 4wd. I had a 2k 4cyl cluster in my blazer for a few miles. Everything blazer was there and working fine, the check 4wd light, gate ajar. It all worked fine.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #281
Independent

Quote: Originally Posted by Comedian03

Tomorrow I'll go out and snap a lot more pictures of it and start a new project thread.
Just make sure you put up a link.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #282
Potato

Quote: Originally Posted by poS_10
If the truck is a 02 you need a 01+ cluster. And there is no 2wd cluster. There is one with a tach and one without. But if it is in a 2wd and the right year range your good for it to work in a 4wd. I had a 2k 4cyl cluster in my blazer for a few miles. Everything blazer was there and working fine, the check 4wd light, gate ajar. It all worked fine.

Thanks for the info, the trucks gone now anyway though lol

Quote: Originally Posted by sonomaguy
Just make sure you put up a link.
Yeah I'll post the link here in this thread when I get my new one started. I'm half tempted to go out tonight and do it but I've been outside all day and it's insanely hot so I'm pretty well dead right now.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #283

Cool truck man. I like the reg cab zr2 and plus it's a 5speed which is awesome. I look forward to seeing it around town.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #284

Congrats man. I'm gonna miss checking this build though lol
Old 06-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #285
Maybe later.

Cool truck! can't wait to see what you do with it.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #286
Professional Insultant

User is: Online

I spent a year trying to get a 5speed reg cab ZR2- I gave up.
(although I should add about 3/4ths of the reg cab ZR2s I found were 5-speed. Excabs were more plentiful, but an excab with a 5-speed was just as hard to find as a reg cab, even harder is a 5-speed BlaZeR2)

Sad to see the other Z go, will you be getting any updates on it from the new owners? haha.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #287
Potato

Quote: Originally Posted by TokoDragon
I spent a year trying to get a 5speed reg cab ZR2- I gave up.
(although I should add about 3/4ths of the reg cab ZR2s I found were 5-speed. Excabs were more plentiful, but an excab with a 5-speed was just as hard to find as a reg cab, even harder is a 5-speed BlaZeR2)

Sad to see the other Z go, will you be getting any updates on it from the new owners? haha.
He sent me an e-mail last night saying he pretty much had the interior and everything back together so he must be making some decent progress with it. Hopefully he'll send me some pics.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #288
Potato

New project thread:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/co...1/#post8171170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.