project phoenix - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

project phoenix

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
party animal

Question project phoenix

so i have just barely started this bad boy so i don't have any pictures but I'll get some eventually.

I do need some help though and before anyone says it i have already scoured the forums and not found what i need.

this truck has been called the family scourge, the curse, the blue demon, peice of S***, any other string of swear words or curses you can think of. and i always swore if i ended up with the beast i would beat it into submission and restore it.

the final kill shot on this truck that happened just before my brother went into the marine corps was a faulty injector that put the engine in flames (hence the name). he was able to get the fire out before anything got to badly damaged and he replaced alot and had it running with a few quirks just before he went in almost two years ago and he caught word about me not having wheels and sent me the title and said if i could fix it i could have it.

pretty much all i need right now is a wiring diagram of the whole starting system so i can chase wires to make sure he had them right. and than it should be back on the street when i get those kinks figured out.

its a 1989 pickup with the 2.5 "iron duke" and manual 5 speed

thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
party animal

Re: project phoenix

UPDATE:
I no longer need that wiring diagram, my friend was able to get it cranking for me but now we are encountering problems that stump both of us and my self proclaimed mechanic uncle.
its acting like a timing issue but i know the timing is in-sync because i drove it around before the starter and ignition went out and as far as i know timing just doesn't slide out of sync. . . or does it?
also does anyone know what could seem like a timing issue without actually being a timing issue?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
9" strait pipes...

User is: OffLine

describe the symptoms, saying its acting like a timing issue doesnt mean much.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
party animal

thanks for replying but we figured it out. . . it was backfiring out the intake and belching fire when the starter would engage the motor but that was caused by the starter only hitting for a second tops. we tried push starting it and just getting it up to 10 miles an hour it roared right up and drives fine, i was actually on my way out the door to take it to a shop to get a new flywheel and starter when i saw someone had replied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.