Project: Just a work truck?? - Page 5 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project: Just a work truck??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #201
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

User is: OffLine
Re: Project: Just a work truck??

Transmission Rebuild

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #202
Flame It ALL

User is: Online

After going through your trans rebuild thread, all I can say is it looks like some of my projects....
Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #203
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

LOL oh yeah how so? That was some cramped shit man.. I needed a whole other bay that I didn't have.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #204
Flame It ALL

Just because shit kept going wrong, time, parts, all that good stuff.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #205
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

/\ yep. I was thinking about it today and the next time I do this, I will have the full teardown done prior to.. that way I know I will have what I need. I lucked out on ordering the pinion gears, and the accumulator pistons (pinless).. I needed both of those.. oh and the rear shell I needed that, but I had ordered the rollerized version so that took care of that. Oh and the beast shell was needed, the collar on the old shell was pitted and gouged.

Figured there would be some interest in it.. oh well. I am going to post the rebuild info/pics on some other forums also. I took alot of time to take pics and video.. I want people to be able to use the info
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #206
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Go get in the truck this morning and I guess my ****ing alternator decided to stop working. Regulator bad. THE ONLY THING GOOD ABOUT THIS TRUCK HAVING SO ****ING MANY PROBLEMS.. I have lifetime warranty and damn near everything.. this alternator didn't last me 3 yrs.. ****ING PISSED I HAVE TO CHANGE IT OUT!!

BUT at least I will be able to shim the alt now since CSExtreme decided he didn't need to get me the updated version of his "friend's U/D pulleys".. so at least that will finally be "fixed".

That is what I am doing tomorrow.. putting in a new alt. Since I am having to REDO things once again.. I decided I will pull my cabin motor also. I bought the alternator and the cabin fan motor from autozone.. and both are no good anymore (cabin motor less than 2 yrs). I think I am going to start to go elsewhere for parts. I am tired of having to redo the work because of inferior quality (even though I buy the lifetime parts.. a.k.a.. better parts)..
Old 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #207
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Alright I have to look up my underdrive pulley thread so I can see what size of washers I will need.

I am going to go ahead and film the alternator swap and make a short vid on the cabin fan swap. I will hopefully be able to have those up on my youtube channel soon. Stay posted.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #208
Flame It ALL

You are just not hiving good luck with anything here!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #209
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

No stew, this is the story with this truck. Again I bought alot of parts from the zone. The next time they (ANY) burn out I am going to napa or orielys and trying their parts. I have had 3 bad radiators from orielys.. I know all parts manufacturers will have their issues of flaws.. or friday afternoon fudge ups

After this, I figure out the gas level issue. I am going to go through the whole engine, clean it, take all the electrical connectors off.. clean them and the harness, put new dielectric goop in them and put them all back in the stock spots/holders. Get the new trans lines, get them installed, and also make sure the fuel lines are in their securing points/holders. I am done messing around.

I have the engine on the stand. When time permits I will tear it down and get it ready for the machine shop. Matt is already doing his, I will need to do some catchup. I will be spraying any and all components of the engine I can with the correct film/lubricant coating to maximize the engine every little bit. I am using it for daily use, so this will be a good test bed.

Anywho's.. I am off to wrench. Later stew.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #210
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

So changed out the VSS, changed out the blower motor (hvac) and changed out and shimmed the alternator. I go to turn it on.. fires up like a damn champ.. no batt light but is not charging..

I ****ing swear to ****ing god I hate this mother****ing truck.. and I have decided not to shop Autozone any longer. I am going to get my money back as things go out and go to the other parts stores.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #211
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

I went into Autozone to bring back my alternator I bought from them.. I immediately got flack from a younger manager for returning parts. I told him I had lifetime warranty parts.. he looked em up, saw I was right, still grumbled but got the part (I had been in the night before, Friday, and they had held the alternator for me.

So here the next day he is pissy I am getting the part. Maybe sales were off for the day.. not sure.

What I do know is he was pissed off I was getting warrantied parts (2) cabin fan, and the alternator.

He tried to say at first somehow I did it, that me running the truck with the bad alt (I just found out the night before it was bad, it didn't even start acting up, or show there was a problem till Friday morning.. he tried to say I was "burning up parts"

Anyway the dude was having a bad day, but when I asked for him to take my pully off.. that is when he got dumb. Asked why, told him it was an overdrive pulley and that is when he accused me of "tearing up HIS parts".. saying the U/D pulley spun his part too fast and wore it out..

Proceeds to go back, as he is taking off the pulley and talk shit to another employee about the u/d pulley..

I ended up leaving WITHOUT the new VSS I was going to buy from them. I ended up just leaving without making the scene I wanted to make.. would have feel on deaf ears.. but when I left, my anger grew and grew and grew.. as I was working on my truck.. I forgot to plug the alternator plug in, the single plug on the back side.. that has the single wire that plugs in.

So it was my fault. Not the trucks, but really was what happened due to me being absolutely livid with the AZ guy.

I am still trying to decide what to do, just go down the road, start getting parts from another company, and any of these burn out, take them to a different AZ for return.. not sure. But I will never go back to that Autozone. Not unless they get rid of that store manager.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #212
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

also, after rebuilding the 99 trans, I put the 2001's vss on it. I found out the VSS was trash.. so that was another contributing factor to the old trans being worn out and just not working.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #213
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

well, just took the front drivers side rim/wheel off. I have had a nail in it since I went to Joplin in mid October. The area we parked our vehicles was half work zone.. so I got a nail somewhere there.

Anyway I got a plug put in it, went to put the spare on and the goddamn bearing is loose. THAT is why I don't do it the factory way for tightening/torqueing it.. but then again I think it is just something you have to readjust after a bit. When I put the tire back on, I will tighten it. I don't think that will have a lick of difference in the braking/sound that I currently have to deal with.

I cannot wait to get the bigger brakes on (that is after I buy them & new rims).. probably may-ish before that happens.. hopefully sooner
Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #214
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

had a P0452 code that quickly escalated..

I went to a gas station to get some coffee.. must have for any day.. and came out to turn the key over.. BUT.. it did not start. What did happen is something else.

I will have to update this when I can actually do it. A bit buzzed and totally tired from all the heavy work I have been doing lately.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #215
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Okay /\ above was a problem with the 5V vehicle reference. Guess somehow either the solenoid grounded out internally, or the power wire that goes to the starter grounded out on the starter..

The starter tried to start the truck over and over and over again.. even after the key was taken out. When it grounded out it was a closed circuit and just kept on going. I didn't have my tools with me at the time, and everyone around me at the gas station just stared at me, I asked for a pair of pliers and no one had a set.

It wasn't until a gas station maintenance guy got there was I able to get a pair, and get my battery off. The truck sat there trying to start for nearly 10 min..

People sometime suck. And I guess it was my own fault for not having tools with me.

I had my trans lines leak again. I need to get the new lines put on that I bought yet. It depends on what is going on tomorrow, if I can get it done or not. I have to do the heater outlet hose tomorrow.. that won't be anything to do, trans lines on the other hand.. I want to get those clips installed right so I don't have any issues.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #216
Flame It ALL

Dude, your truck must have been built by a bunch of hungover guys on a Monday afternoon who got stoned during their lunch break.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #217
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

/\ I am telling you stew!!!

Actually I have had a rip in the rubber end (block side) of the outlet tube for what.. 6 yrs now? So it was needed for a long time. But yes, this truck is just a cluster****.. or was till I threw this much money at it. Total is around 6K I spent on it last year 2011. That is only half the trans rebuild since half feel on 2011 and the other half on 2012.

It needs a few kinks worked out, then I can say it is where it should be. I am heading home this weekend, so I will be able to swap out the trans lines, and also the heater outlet hose. I am going to go pick up some stainless wire and take all my chit down with me so I can get the all stainless bassani comp-cat welded up and put on. THAT I cannot wait for. Hopefully check engine light will leave me alone, and even though I am 98% certain the 2nd O2 is just for diagnostics.. I want to see if it helps with the fuel. I know it should help with the torque a lil..

I am slowly getting it done
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #218
Flame It ALL

I think think the second O2 is there to let the truck know that the cat has reached operating temperature, but Nate, I could be wrong. Supposedly on some of these systems they will run a little rich on initial start up to get the cat to operating temperature for emissions.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #219
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

I can see that, the startup period. Weird. That is a difference between the Fords I know and Chevy in this case. Ford has a program that runs that does that, the O2 gets to temp and program falls out. I could see it set up that way.

I know that one thing they are used for is just to see if the cat is working. That is basically all it is I think. More an emissions thing.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #220
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

So here is to hoping I don't have problems with it or the trans lines.. I just need the space to work on them.

My place? I am trying to get it ready for a TALL fence. I am going to push my cars along side the house so I have my driveway back. I give myself another 4 yrs, then I can rebuild the mustang and SHO. They will have to wait till then. Just no money for that type of thing. The S10 gets it first of all vehicles. As soon as I can I am getting a F150. It will be a couple years. So the S10 has to be operational, and I need to increase the power to handle what I use it for daily.

I cannot wait for the turbo.. I dream about it every day..
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #221
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

I need to get the brakes updated. As soon as I get that done, I will seriously look for a good used bed. While doing that I am going to take the current bed off, get the cab all worked over and primed, sealed, painted. Plan on doing an Armour Coat on the whole body and bed. I cannot wait.

If I play things right this year, I will have new brakes, body, rims. She will have her issues, and stuff I want to do to her yet (interior???) and welding in a new floor pan.. but the exterior, rims/brakes will be done. I cannot wait.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #222
Flame It ALL

Sounds good man!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #223
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Just pulled my trailer around, went and looked at a job, need to go look at another.. man I got up to like 210.. I know that may not sound like much, but I was watching that fokker pretty closely.

I just need to get my laundry list of BS done to it, and need to also start collecting stuff for the turbo.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #224

Quote: Originally Posted by n8rsk8r
I went into Autozone to bring back my alternator I bought from them.. I immediately got flack from a younger manager for returning parts. I told him I had lifetime warranty parts.. he looked em up, saw I was right, still grumbled but got the part (I had been in the night before, Friday, and they had held the alternator for me.

So here the next day he is pissy I am getting the part. Maybe sales were off for the day.. not sure.

What I do know is he was pissed off I was getting warrantied parts (2) cabin fan, and the alternator.

He tried to say at first somehow I did it, that me running the truck with the bad alt (I just found out the night before it was bad, it didn't even start acting up, or show there was a problem till Friday morning.. he tried to say I was "burning up parts"

Anyway the dude was having a bad day, but when I asked for him to take my pully off.. that is when he got dumb. Asked why, told him it was an overdrive pulley and that is when he accused me of "tearing up HIS parts".. saying the U/D pulley spun his part too fast and wore it out..

Proceeds to go back, as he is taking off the pulley and talk shit to another employee about the u/d pulley..

I ended up leaving WITHOUT the new VSS I was going to buy from them. I ended up just leaving without making the scene I wanted to make.. would have feel on deaf ears.. but when I left, my anger grew and grew and grew.. as I was working on my truck.. I forgot to plug the alternator plug in, the single plug on the back side.. that has the single wire that plugs in.

So it was my fault. Not the trucks, but really was what happened due to me being absolutely livid with the AZ guy.

I am still trying to decide what to do, just go down the road, start getting parts from another company, and any of these burn out, take them to a different AZ for return.. not sure. But I will never go back to that Autozone. Not unless they get rid of that store manager.

Hey man Ive been reading your entire thread. Im a Store Manager for Autozone. I wanna know what store youre shopping at. The store # is on the front door with the SM's name. I want to call their District manager and let him/her know of the poor service you have been getting. I know in my store we are all about customer service and making sure you (the customer) is taken care of to the fullest extent. I know it doesnt mean much coming from me miles and miles away, But I can def. get things resolved for you in ways you cant as a customer. I just want to help from a professional stand point. Also on a side note. All the LW parts are triple tested. Are they testing your parts when you bring them in? Are they actually failing or are they passing and the problems lies elsewhere in the truck, anyway, Just wanna help..
Old 06-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #225
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Honestly it doesn't matter at this point. The guy is a total **** wad.

I can honestly say I am sick of having to replace parts (good parts I have bought from Autozone). I have the blower motor I wil have to take out AGAIN.. I am getting money back and going to Napa or Orielys. I won't be told it is my truck that is doing it when there is absolutely nothing wrong with my truck, plus buying a lifetime warranty should not mean me having to explain a godddamn thing to anyone about anything.. it is lifetime part.. get me a new ****ing part.. no question asked.

I want to get the work done to my tuck so bad, I have my remodel to my place going on and diverting money off to do the truck.. just REALLY hard to do. I want to get the top side of my place done at least, then in fall I will get to the truck. One thing I want to do is get a rattle can and spray the trucks rollpan and around the lights that have primer on them now. I do want to do that. I don't care about true absolute quality, just tired of seeing primer, and I wont keep that bed or rollpan.. so I won't have to worry about what I have done or not done to the paint's prep.. watch I bet with no prep it stays on longer than with prep
Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #226
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Had a problem on the highway today, the trans came out of gear.. this happened the other day also. I crept to the next exit and went to my buddy's trans shop. He said that it was most likely a TPS or MAF but I don't have a MAF.. so I went and picked up a TPS from Orielys that was a block away. The old TPS's center piece was loose and would "wobble" So I am thinking that was the issue.. I got on the highway and it stayed in gear, but didn't go into OD. I bought a new VSS also so I am going to put that on and see if that could be a component in what is happening. I have right at 6K miles on the rebuilt trans. I used all the best parts. I have confidence in it being right. I will go by my buddy's and get it checked out though.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #227
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Had a busy day, went looking at diff projects.. ****ing goddamn piece of shit chevy goddamn truck..

I ended up having to let it cool off.. I put the TPS on at Orielys, then went to go look at a project.. ****ign goddamn ****ing thing kept ****ing up.. not as bad.. so mid way I stopped at a tire and lube place hten busted out the VSS and put it on.. okay slightly better.. but still sucked. Got to the place late as ****, people understood.. I got back on the road and came home.. I did stop back at a diff orielys that had a diff code reader. I check the codes..

Here is what was thrown:

C0237
P0420
po171
p0218 - trans temp got too hot (probably when I was towing the trailer in this ****ing desert like temps..)

I know there are cat codes being thrown.. this next week I should have my Basanni all stainless cat put on (the comp cat) and hope to see some improvements in driveability.

I need to go get an oxygen sensor tomorrow.. that will round off all the ****ing sensors this round.

Have I stated anytime recently I hate chevy and this godddamn forsaken truck? Okay good.. just did.

I put the new trans lines on tonight, when you do this.. do yourself a favor and take off the oil drain plastic thing (that funnels all the oil down to the drain spot) and the bar that does whatever.. I guess is the deal the plastic drain spout thing does.. take that shrt off and you will have an easier time at it...

So a recap.. or cliffnotes if you will:

Changed:

vss
tps
map
trans lines today.

it feels like a weak 4cyl truck.. but it starts way better than it did.. and I can get to all the gears (as of now just gonig to get a 6'er of "La Gunitas Lil Sumpthin Sumpthin" ale.. **** chevy, **** s10's.

It better work bettter now.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #228
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Okay, today the truck felt great running around. I bought a new "upstream" O2 for it and will be getting a new downstream next week when I finally get the Comp Cat welded up and on. It should eliminate all the codes there are. I am going to take it by my buddy's to see what is truly wrong with it Reason I said this is I lost "power" 2 times today, after the new sensors. I think the trans is overheating, so I will be looking into probably some fan assisted unit. I have the simple finned radiator type right now, but have not put it on. The truck feels much more sturdy, still has no power, but does feel and run better. I will be interested to see if getting the cat on, and having all new sensors.. if this will help in the MPG.. we will see. I want the full driveability back, and today running around I felt it was running better than it has in a long time.

Oh the MAP sensor (old) was just basically sitting in there, the new one was nice and tightish/secure when I stuck it in. That made me feel as though the new MAP sensor would do just fine and would/should be an improvement
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #229
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Okay went out and again the engine is running great, but there is something wrong with the 2/3 shift. I am wondering if I have a valve stuck, and or a spring broke in the valve body. If the trans got hot like the code said, it could have distorted or crushed the spring in some type of way.

If anyone who is reading this knows of a good external cooler, let me know. I have the hayden external, but not sure it is any good. I was even thinking about getting a unit with a fan. Hell anyone front the midwest will will tell you it is like a desert during the day.. the grass is yellow/green right now.. I need to mow for the weeds, but the grass has hunkered down and waiting for rain and any break from the heat..

Anywho.. I drove it like a bat out of hell for almost an hour, jumping on the highway and laying rubber between shifts.. it wasn't until I was almost home and just babying it that it started doing its thing again.

I am actually wondering if the shift solenoid isn't ****ed up some how. I can see that being the case more than anything. A popped seal maybe.. not sure.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #230
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Just spoke with my buddy. He was saying the OverTemp is due to the torque converter clutch not locking.

Since day 1 I have thought there was something wrong with the torque converter. I have all new electrical in the trans, which does not mean a lot, but what it does mean is that there is an issue with either the TQ, the valvebody (I have already had a bad spring).. or?? He is going to throw it on the machine on Monday to see what is up. If the TQ is the culprit I am going to send it back to PATC. And ask for a refund. If it is anything else it will be my dime (not like all the diagnostic work and all won't be..)

I will keep updating with what I find out.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #231
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

One thing my buddy kept asking was whether I had changed the converter. I am pretty damn sure.. like 85% sure it is the converter. I remember now what happened with the old trans, and what my buddy said, and.. OH! I called PATC and the guy said he wanted the TQ back, he said he wants to cut it open and see what is going on with it. He said "as soon as you have it out, send it to me.. I want that TQ.. I want to see what is going on with it!"

so let us hope and pray that that is all it is, hell she is a screamer any other time! It is only recently that it is loosing power. And with all new sensors.. there is no reason for it. Also, while I had the old lines on, I used to have to give it some serious gas to get it to move.. same as what my old trans did.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #232
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

New mystery.. or same but giving a different symptom.. had my OT2 hooked up and was sitting in orielys parking lot.. truck overheats.. I am like WTF?! And get out, check and **** with the wires.. I get back into the truck, put it in drive and it gets WEIRD on me..

Basically I have an electrical gremlin. I am going to take the switched 12v off where I currently have it and run it to it's own power at the fusebox. I need to go get a new multimeter.. should have one anyway. But I am going to set up a fused wire coming off the panel for the fan. I need to get the truck's manual out and find where those slots are on the fusebox.

It may not actually be the trans at all.. could very well be the electrical problem I have had for some time (hvac fan going on and off on its own) so we will see.

Updates to come.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #233
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Thank you once again DeathPhoenix99 for the electrical diagrams! I printed them out and now combing them to complete the circuits for the transmission. Bunch of highlighters in hand, I am getting it done. I am going to comb the entire electrical circuit, every wire, and every sensor, check everything, make sure everything is tight. I did find a ring connector end that was wore and the wire was exposed. It is a ground to the electrical fan. I am going to get the proper engine grounds done as well for the aftermarket sensors.

I hope to have the electrical figured out Saturday. I am still planning on bringing it by my buddys shop and having it checked out... if I should get it figured out on saturday with the electrical. I found a full checklist of things to go over electrically. I am betting it is in the electrical, or a sensor that is on the verge of going out. I did replace them all with new sensors, but just because it is new, doesn't mean it is any good. I have found that to be true. Also.. it could be that because other sensors were worn, this one wore out.

I moved the wire for the fan off the yellow w/ black stripe wire that was on the back (firewall) loom. I soldered the wire back and shrink wrapped it.. then stuck it back in the loom.

I had to take apart the loom all the way back to the fan controller to get the red wire that is used for a 12v switched feed will be temporarily plugged into the +positive terminal, and I will just pull the fuse until saturday.

Saturday I plan on starting at the back, and coming forward checking all connections, and wires for damage or corrosion. I plan on cleaning up the grounds and putting Glyptol over the newly surfaced ground and wire connector/end.

There is an electrical gremlin in the truck, it would be nice to once again know how much gas is in the tank :/ lol

Maybe soon it will be reliable. I rant about it, but it does have 300k on the clock. I guess I cannot expect perfect.. but reliable would be nice.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #234
Flame It ALL

The answer to your trans problems is a 5 speed
Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #235
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

/\ lol I wish I had one.

I think I just solved it. I don't think it was the spliced in wire. I think it is the tubing I put over the wire loom. I remember feeling the wires thinking they were insanely hot.. I think there may be some bad wire in there. I may have to cut and splice some bad areas out. I am not sure, I just came to this conclusion. What it did at orielys was insane. I have never seen it do such a thing.. or anything like it in any other vehicle. It was like it was possessed. I am going to take the tubing off and let that area cool down during operation. This weekend I will open it up and see if we have wires that are shorting out or any damaged sheathing.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #236
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Oh and I am going to replace the IAT sensor, and the brake pedal sensor. I should be in good shape after that.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #237
Flame It ALL

Electrical gremlins, great!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #238
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

got all the sensors under the hook unhooked, electrical grease, and connected once again. Reloomed the back wires, and plugged the fan plug back in.

My apologies to Autozone, guess this fan does work afterall lol.

With everything swapped out, I am in good shape. The TC will need changed, this one is toast. So much for all the fancy stuff it is made of lol
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #239
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Went to the trans co first thing this morning, they checked it out, took it for a spin with the diagnostic reader.. not only did it not jump out of gear.. my truck will not communicate with the reader, all the trans codes/data says "no data" for all of the trans. I have no ****ing clue why.. anyone reading heard of such a thing?? ****. I need to hook the trailer up and try to get it ****ed up today I guess. Try to make it do what it was doing.. oh and I will be changing out the MLPS sensor again.. I need it to read right, and Paul (the dad) said I need it fixed, said it could be part of my problem..
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #240
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

So again, not sure if the new sensors helped or what.. I need to get that MLPS done, and we will see where that takes me. I know I need to change the fluid out, not doing royal purple this time.. for some reason I don't think I was ever meant to run that shit. I will just get some good synthetic.. probably Valvoline if I can find it.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #241
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

I am actually leaning toward computer at this point. How does one go about testing the computer?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #242
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Nuetral Safety Switch is what I was talking about, guess it is called different on a chevy.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #243
Flame It ALL

I think it would still be called the neutral safety switch. With your luck, I would not rule out a bad PCM
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #244
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

You are right, I have no clue what the **** I was thinking on that.

Here goes though.

I did get the Neutral safety switch put on. BTW it is "locked" in the neutral position with the metal "deal".. so you have to put the trucks trans in Neutral before you put it on. If you don't it is trashed.

So again, when you go to install a NSS (neutral safety switch) put a block behind the back wheel, and either put it in neutral before you take the old off, or take the old off while it is in park, get out from under it and turn the shaft on the transmission clockwise 2 times, you will get a "notch" that it clicks into, it is 2 clicks clockwise -> way. Put it on, and you will have your selector back

Anyone who is running aorund without a selector working right, could bvery well be this switch. Before mine was off by 1.. but when it got to the right.. it just didn't change. Now it does, It actually reads the gear I am in!

LMAO

So funny when you get a basic function back.. how excited you are! LOL

I found my O2 wire had rested on the exhaust and there was bare wire showing and a torched sheathing. I had it pulled out of the way, but at some time it must have hit. The loom that goes under the oil pan was damn near toast. I am not sure if I am going to redo those wires or not. The plastic loom tubing was melted into them, and the rest that wasn't was crunchy.. the foil tape has long since lived its purposeful life.. so I am going to figure a way to get some fiberglass or silicone tubing to put the wires in. My only concern is the wires heating up from electricity flowing through them and not being able to dissipate that heat through the air.

Yes I go postal and get pissed off at this damn truck.. but it is only because I need it REALLY bad and have no backup as of right now. So when it goes down, it throws a goddamn tool box in the mix.. not good.

I will get this all ironed out, it may not be the trans at all.. but now I have all the sensors replaced.. truck has 300k on it.. it is bound to happen.. but I need to figure out a way to protect the wiring and things like that from abuse.

Also, I am now on a mission, I am going to get that goddamn gas gauge to work again.. so help me god.

After I get the cat on, and the new aft cat o2 it will round everything out. then I can turbo. I have a seperate engine that I was goign to start rebuilding like last year.. but other shit came up.. so I need to start messing with that soon. I need the power terribly.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #245
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Oh and go into Autozone to take back the NSS.. I guess I will have to post up pics and tell you what happened at that good ole' Autozone.

I am glad I no longer shop there.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #246
100000 Internet points!

I read some of your thread.....well this page really. Im sorry
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #247
Flame It ALL

Yeah, don't blame you there, I got a turn signal switch repair kit from Advance, didn't work for my column parts were not 100% correct, gonna order OEM stuff online instead.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #248
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Quote: Originally Posted by koeberle04
I read some of your thread.....well this page really. Im sorry
It has been bitter sweet with this truck. When I get it running right something just says.. hope.. LMAO

don't be sorry, I know you are saying you understand. I have turned a major corner I think with it.

I got a triple a pillar pod and the digital ultra-lite gauges for h2o, trans temp (newly ordered*), and volts.

All three of those are due to not trusting the factory chit gauges anymore.

Since I will have to put that up, I am going to get the 12V switched distribution block set up in the engine bay. Then I can run my fan, my gauges and anything else that will need the switched 12v.

Doing that will force me to redo my headliner and get my pillar covers back on. And when I do that I will go ahead and pull the back plastic molding and clean, prep, and paint it.

I don't have much left to go on this truck. I got it beat to ****-hell in Jan of 05.. and I damn near drove it into the ground, only because I had less than no money. Now I have the money to get this truck running the way it should, so I can get it down the road to when I can buy new. then it will be a play toy/gopher
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 AM   #249
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

btw koeberle04..

I do have some nuggets of goodness in this thread. I try to get it done, find the problem and let everyone know what it is. Have a look see..
Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #250
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby

Stew.. dude after all this I will be master s10 mechanic for sure! LMAO!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.