Project: Jamie, about time I figured out what I wanted and got to it! - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project: Jamie, about time I figured out what I wanted and got to it!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #51
Diesel Tech

User is: OffLine
Re: Project: Jamie, about time I figured out what I wanted and got to it!

Stock height photo's...

Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #52
Diesel Tech

Did I mention...I love the way this thing looks even though only the back is done? Not to mention I am only 2 hours into it...of actual work that is

Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #53
Press Z or R twice

every bone in my body is mad at you for lifting a zq8 :'( but i guess you already had so much invested in it and it was already halfway there. still a tearjearker
Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #54
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by Spike G
every bone in my body is mad at you for lifting a zq8 :'( but i guess you already had so much invested in it and it was already halfway there. still a tearjearker
Your mad? I've wanted a Zq8 for YEARS!...then I find out I've been robbed of one basically because all the cool suspension stuff has been swapped out! And I don't have the ZQ8 wheels! I never bothered to check all the tags, because I never cared, because I assumed it wasn't...hence I went with lifting it. Like you said...I'm this far into it, I went ahead and did it! That doesn't mean further on down the line I don't rip all this stuff off this truck and slam it, then go get another truck with a V6 and lift that one lol
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #55
Molon Labe

Someone swapped your springs and steering box too, not just the wheels?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #56
Press Z or R twice

the rear springs are all i can imagine someone would swap, the front looks a lot lower. he's got a huge rake. so you still have rear sway, larger front, zq8 steering box and frame brace...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #57
Diesel Tech

Steering box I imagine is stock, sway bar in front...huge...and I don't have an extra brace which is also throwing me off...but that may have been taken out, when the dude put in a self disconnect driveshaft. Unless it isn't an obvious brace. The rear springs are not ZQ8 from what I can tell. As for the ride height, there is only a 1-1.5" difference from front to back...so I'm a little off. Maybe this is an odd ball order. Running the VIN it is one of two trucks with these exact options.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #58
Diesel Tech

So couple new ideas...I am going to lift this truck for awhile...then I will be tearing it all back off to put on a V6 truck. Then I am going to put the correct wheels and pieces for a Zq8!

I found a couple v6 trucks I liked last night while I couldn't sleep lol I have to be difficult and look for the 5 speed though lol
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #59
Diesel Tech

Only two ball joints stand in my way...mother *&%(%^^&%(*%^)*&^)(*%*&^ I'll keep at it!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #60
"Captain Insano"

sick truck guy, rims/tire choice is perf
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #61
Diesel Tech

Thanks bro! My hand is not agreeing with me, but that's because I've smashed it like 15 times now!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #62
Molon Labe

Being a 2.2 you shouldn't have the hop shock either, I didn't know they added frame bracing to those too.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #63
Diesel Tech

Nope, no hop shock either. Oh well.

Update...front end disassembled. My fingers are bruised and battered...I'm luck the guy that owned this truck originally...undercoated the ENTIRE truck...or it might be rust I was fighting with. I'm ok fighting undercoat...rust is a bitch.

Pics coming soon
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #64
Square-body crazy

Looking forward to seeing this whole thing lifted
Old 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #65
Diesel Tech

Me too! lol I'd like to go cruise my baby again! I love my Ranger, but I fall in love with the damn GMC every time I drive it all over again. Especially after a new mod. I haven't spent a lot of time on the Ranger forum lately lol
Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #66
Diesel Tech

Well, got the wrong spring compressor, so I don't have her back together yet. I don't want to try pry bars, nor do I want to do the effing jack up the LCA and hope for the best...so again...she sits. Good thing I have another truck to drive! I wanted this done! Updated pics to follow
Old 05-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #67
Diesel Tech

This is not the correct spring compressor...it doesn't work, don't try it!

I did a little painting while I was under the truck. My truck is undercoated...well, so I just hit the spots that needed covering, so it looks like crap. But again, I have undercoating, this was more for protective measure, it'll be dirty again soon enough

The damned rear sway bar of my Zq8...wtf over

The rotors, repacked and ready to go...fml you stupid springs!

These are the shocks I am running in the rear, they are Sensa-trac's from Monroe. 106 bucks as a package for both rear shocks, they are a load sensing shock, as I haul often. The tech recommended I don't use these for heavy off road. Again I am building a mostly street queen, so it doesn't matter at this point

Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #68

are those quick release pins in that spring compressor!? haha that just seems like a great idea. are you looking to get rid of that sway bar?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #69
Square-body crazy

I was hoping to see finish pictures when the page loaded,bummer. Good work so far though. My only experience with coils have been removing the spindle,and knocking them out so i could bolt in bags,haha. I'm kinda dreading front end work on my '93.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #70
Diesel Tech

****, I'm tired of this project lol So I wish I had completed pics for you! Other then that I'll keep plugging away. I'm heading up to Autozone in Oly, about 25 minutes from my house to see if I can get the correct spring compressor.

As for the swaybar....sorry I'm keeping it lol I eventually am going to get another truck. Then I'll take all the shit off this one, and put it on that, which will be a v6 5 speed truck lol then slam this one back down, put the sway bar back on, and we are going to corner carve this bitch like a fat chick in a hoverround scooter at walmart
Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #71
Diesel Tech

Side one done, side two coming up! Other then that I'm golden. But fml the brake lines are way overstretched, even removing the bracket. So I am going to move her out of the garage when I'm done, but I can't drive it for safety sake. I was busy most of the day, so by the time I got to it, I couldn't get the truck done before tonight. Oh well, I guess it'll be monday before I am all said and done. Pics coming up here in a few hours when I'm done.

Does anyone know about how long the brake lines are on a stock ZQ8? I think that might be what's screwing me, I know that it's fine to go from a straight z85 z83? truck to the lift spindles, but I don't think ZQ8 to lift is any good, I think the ZQ8's brake lines are shorter then a regular Dime. Oh well, the hard part is over, well in a little bit, and if the worst I've had to deal with is the brakelines aren't long enough preventing me from lifting, I'd say I am doing a good enough job. As well as that means with the fine help of S10forum and Dezertdimes, thank you for all the help, we definitely know our stuff.

Time for more caffeine batman...out!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #72
Diesel Tech

She has a bit of Cali Lean, but because I can't cruise her yet, this may settle out. We shall see but I need extended brake lines...here's why

But other then that she is done being lifted!!!

I changed the oil too while I was dirty greasy grimy lol

Also found this....

I will need to get that replaced. But I need to go in for the alignment anyway, so I might as well get them to replace it lol
Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #73
Diesel Tech

This is the correct spring compressor, it goes inside the spring...get this one...as stated in other threads, it makes life easy! On top of that...it was free to rent from O'reilly's
Old 05-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #74

You're probably the first person to lift a zq8 it looks killer though. It looks kind of weird without the 4x4 tow hooks. I would consider throwing some on there, you can usually pick them up for free from your local yard. and they bolt right on.

but that sucks about the brake lines, I'm sorry I have no input about that. I just know that finding brake lines for these trucks suck. I found mine at Quality Auto Parts (aka CarQuest)
Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #75
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by svmcgover
You're probably the first person to lift a zq8 it looks killer though. It looks kind of weird without the 4x4 tow hooks. I would consider throwing some on there, you can usually pick them up for free from your local yard. and they bolt right on.

but that sucks about the brake lines, I'm sorry I have no input about that. I just know that finding brake lines for these trucks suck. I found mine at Quality Auto Parts (aka CarQuest)
Lol I was already looking at tow hooks...but I have a couple lying around from other things.

As for brake lines I am just going to go to my local brake place, probably Napa, and have some made real quick. Then I can at least cruise it!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #76
Diesel Tech

And mind you my ignorance was what caused me to lift a ZQ8, but I am not the first to do it I know this.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #77
Square-body crazy

From what i can see on my phone,it looks like the front wheels stick out a bit? Have you thought about putting some spacers on the rear?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #78
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiko
From what i can see on my phone,it looks like the front wheels stick out a bit? Have you thought about putting some spacers on the rear?
I am actually going to get a Blazer rear for it. But the other thing that isn't helping is that the alignment is way off right now, both wheels are pointed outwards in the front. I don't do spacers. So I will do the Blazer rear that is 2 inches wider then the stock S10 rear. I also plan to regear that rear end
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #79
Square-body crazy

To each his own. I don't think they're that bad if used properly and the spacers are good. That's just me though. Will look good with the rear wheels sticking out to match.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #80
Diesel Tech

To each his own. I don't think they're that bad if used properly and the spacers are good. That's just me though. Will look good with the rear wheels sticking out to match.
It's worse in the photo, and the mangled fender doesn't help. But I agree with spacers, I just choose not to use them. It's like using a bandaid where you need stitches. I can fix the problem with a different part, and really make it look better and not have that extra piece in there. I like that much better then spacers. I have plenty of friends that use spacers, just not something I want.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #81
Diesel Tech

Time to do some clearancing...BFH ready...here goes nothing! Oh and my hack saw. Pics coming soon
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #82
Square-body crazy

That's fair. I could swap the axle,but not something i want to tear into on the '93. I'd rather throw on some 1/4" spacers and call it a day. I'll have to checl out the pics on the work computer tommorow. My phone never does them justice.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #83
Diesel Tech

That's fair. I could swap the axle,but not something i want to tear into on the '93. I'd rather throw on some 1/4" spacers and call it a day. I'll have to checl out the pics on the work computer tommorow. My phone never does them justice.
Yeah, for me it's a truck I have had since I was 16. So I tend to go above and beyond when I do things on her. So I'd rather do the axle.

I'm having trouble clearing the fender from the tire. But I'm working at it. And I may have a leak in the rubber cover on the lower ball joints, that or I overfilled them. I'll keep an eye on them for now. But I at least am that much closer to being able to drive her again.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #84
Maybe later.

Lifting a Zq8......you should be committed!

In all seriousness, I'm curious to see how this goes, lol.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #85
Diesel Tech

Man, I was about as mad as you are lol But I was already so far into it...I just finished it. It looks great! But I may swap all of the lift parts out later on, and put it all under another truck with a v6, then put this one on it's nuts and use it for daily duties and corner carving again lol
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #86
Diesel Tech

So alignment in the AM, then I can figure out what all I need to cut to clear the 31's. But otherwise, she drove like a champ all day! Which wasn't that much lol I am avoiding freeways right now till it's done.

I have a heavy Cali-lean, so i am thinking I may go get some different rear leaf springs at the junkyard, I want to see if that might be my problem, if nothing else, I'll get some 3 inch lift shackles made up later on down the road.

Gears...are a MUST, she is a PIG right now. I'm going to go ahead and get a Blazer rear while I'm at the junkyard, but I need to get off my ass and get a little work done to make some cash for.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #87
Press Z or R twice

are you going with 4.10's?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #88

LOL my names Jamie so the title of your thread caught my attention like i might have won something Truck looks good so far, one rear axle option you might research into would be a dana 44 out of a rodeo, they carry factory 430 gears in most of them. they are 6 lug though but from what i have read there is room to redrill the axle flange for your 5x4.75 pattern.

Your welcome to send me those zq8 coils
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #89
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by Spike G
are you going with 4.10's?
Motive Gear G875456 - Motive Gear Ring and Pinion Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #90
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by 5.74x4
LOL my names Jamie so the title of your thread caught my attention like i might have won something Truck looks good so far, one rear axle option you might research into would be a dana 44 out of a rodeo, they carry factory 430 gears in most of them. they are 6 lug though but from what i have read there is room to redrill the axle flange for your 5x4.75 pattern.

Your welcome to send me those zq8 coils
Lol well...um my truck is Jamie lol What's needed for the rodeo swap..other then the obvious redrill?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #91
Diesel Tech

Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #92
It puts the lotion on

Lookin' good broham!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #93

Quote: Originally Posted by richarddhoward
Lol well...um my truck is Jamie lol What's needed for the rodeo swap..other then the obvious redrill?

Well then, I feel like ''Jamie'' would want me to have those zq8 coils Rodeo rear would for sure need spring perches welded on and an adapter u-joint for the driveshaft. I'm not positive if you can redrill the flanges as i never looked into it to deeply since my s10 will be 6 lug in the front as well after the SAS conversion. I'd just run adapters. Rodeo rears come in disc brake as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #94
Diesel Tech

I would give you the coils...if they were still int he truck. But they aren't, previous owner swapped them out. They are gone!

Deeznuts...thank you sir
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #95
Gear Head

truck looks good. i also have a 99 gmc sonoma zq8. but mines white.. i would love to have a red one.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #96
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by walks automotive
truck looks good. i also have a 99 gmc sonoma zq8. but mines white.. i would love to have a red one.
Lol I am thinking about putting this one back to ZQ8 Status....but then I'd need a 2wd, extended cab, v6 5 speed...and I want it in red lol I'd take any color, but I want red lol
Old 05-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #97
Gear Head

yeah red def looks good on these trucks. hope to paint mine some time. but with the way business is going right now, it looks like ill be rockin' the white for awhile.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #98
Diesel Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by walks automotive
yeah red def looks good on these trucks. hope to paint mine some time. but with the way business is going right now, it looks like ill be rockin' the white for awhile.
Lol I know the feeling, I'm self employed myself lol
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #99
Diesel Tech

Went to get my alignment...and the upper ball joints have to much slop. They are moogs...any suggestions? I am checking with Doestch, the maker or at least seller of the spindles I have to see if there is a special ball joint I need.

this will give me the time though to get the new tie rod end that I need, I somehow managed to eff up the grease cover on it, so I'm going to go ahead and replace it, and probably the other side as well.

After that, I need bigger lift shackles for the rear, I'm going for the Blazer rear, and I'll do the disc conversion on the rear as well, and I have upgraded front brakes that are going to go in too. I'll do those since I have to take the front apart again. FML this is turning into a PITA...but I love the truck so I'll finish it!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #100
Diesel Tech

Forgot to add, there are three washers that came with the ball joints, do I need these? I saved them, because I wasn't sure. But I have never had to shim the ball joints with these
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.