S-10 Forum banner

Project "Daily"

10K views 116 replies 17 participants last post by  nharkey85 
#1 ·
98 2.2 5spd reg cab stepside. Previous owner had it lowered with 1.5" coils and 1" blocks. PO also swapped in a 1piece bench. Has 15" steelies painted black with chrome moon covers. Fronts are 205/60, rears 225/60

Body has 122k, new reman motor from LKQ has about 20k on it. New clutch, starter, battery, oil pump, and fuel pump. Headlights, corner lights, grill, bumper, and valance are new due to theft while it was for sale. The dash bezel is busted pretty good as the headunit and amp they had in it were stolen too. Already ordered a low cost replacement HU

#4 ·
Im trying to figure out which end i want to attack the suspension from. The front has unknown coils and sits just off the bumpstops. The rear has only a 1" block. Came with nitro 2s front and rear. Im stuck between redoing the front correctly (which leaves me with the hotrod rake im not too fond of) or lowering the rear to level it out (leaving the front as is for a few weeks).

Even though i like the black steelies and chrome caps, i dont see them staying. I'll need new tires by the end of the year and thats when i'll upgrade wheels. Just oo indecisive

#5 ·
Truck has developed a few mechanical issues that need yo be addressed before redoing the suspension. Rod knock and high idle on a supposedly low milage reman motor. Looks like i'll be upgrading my tool collection first.

I did order 3" blocks to somewhat level the truck IF they ever show up.

#7 ·
forgot about this thread.

#1 cyl puked up its piston and punched a hole in the block. brought home my old 99 ext cab for parts. going through some things personally/financially so i dont know how long it will be before i can really jump ahead with the build. xcab truck has kp 6link, 8gal tank, 8x 3/8" smc valves, airlift 2b6 and airlift 2b7 bags. i forget which compressor is on it, and i have another in storage.

#8 ·
ext'd cab truck looks like something off of a horror movie.

#10 ·
Long story short: the ext cab was bagged early in 2005. Mechanical issues developed and I parked it. Then I was broke and gave up on it. I trade some my 18s for some 15" alloy sawblade looking wheels, then traded those down to stock swirlies, then swapped the swirlies onto a buddy's trailer being used for a parade float. Literally gave it to a friend, who ended taking a job up north and never touched the truck. It's been sitting in the edge of a field for over 8 years. I just finished stripping it of all its air. Already got the 6 link and gas tank xmember transferred over

All I need now is to pull the steering column and luck upon an engine hoist to yank the 2.2 out of it to rebuild for the white stepside.

i love that ext cab the way it sits. good luck with the financial issues
Thanks. I always seem to reside in various levels of broke, never able to save anything.

This was the ext cab in its prime

#11 ·
That sucks. They probably effed something up on the reman job.

#12 ·
If it was actually rebuilt, I think it was done as cheap as possible. The wrist pin seems to be intact but I don't know if the piston is up near the head or came apart and went in the pan. I may start tearing that motor down while it's in the truck in the evening

#13 ·
Been picking along slowly with this project. Money is tighter than ever, and I've really only been working on bagging the white truck since I'll have very little cost involved. I did however manage to sell a few valuables which will help jump start my budget. I'll be able to get a hoist this weekend, then should be able to haul the excab off for a little cash once the motor is pulled. Then I'll be able to order the rebuild kit and get started.

Still trying to figure out if I can wedge my 8gal tank between the rails here the spare used to be.

I've got the rear waiting on a notch, currently sitting frame to axle. Looks like I need a little more than the height of the frame to lay out.

Swapped in my grey buckets and later style steering wheel

#18 ·
Had a friend get me some angle iron and square tube for my tank mount. Bought some aluminum angle for the compressors. Fittings from thorbros came in today so I taped and tightened everything. Was able to run the comps for a bit and fire the fill valves for the rear. Need to trim/rework charcoal canister mounting and evap solenoid, then remove brackets for the rear sidesteps to get the bed sitting all the way down. Compressors are pretty well hidden behind stock bumper, tank is just barely visible from down low.

#25 ·
worked on the left front last night, got the pocket cut out and bag installed/plumbed. air on all four corners now, needs to be notched/dehumped/inner fendered to lay out at this point.

I also broke down and ordered the rebuild supplies to get the motor done and running. **Yes, technically i bagged a non-running truck**

#29 ·
Piston number 1 is survived by his 3 brothers Piston 2, 3, & 4.
thanks for the kind words. its been tough on us all.

UPDATE:
After an exhaustive 1.5hr rescue mission, the remains of #1 were recovered. Sadly, I can report that a piston does not fare well getting past the crank. Two almost golfball sized chunks somehow got above the crank in #2 and #3 but werent in the pan for picTHE FOLLOWING PICTURES MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ALL VIEWERS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.