Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #51
Ticket Magnet

User is: OffLine
Re: Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend

I was just looking at Superbright LED and they have some possibilities. As far as the fogs...electrical issues are way above my skill level.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #52
Headbanger Boogie

Awesome thread, awesome build. I enjoyed reading this one especially because I want to do about the same to my truck. But I want mine to be more rugged to bring in the woods from time to time instead of lowered. But you do really good work, keep up the great work. I'm watching!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #53

Thanks for all the kind words everybody. Yeah I've gotten good results from the stuff from Superbright LEDs. Their stuff is all over my motorcycle and I have replaced every incandescent bulb in the dash with their blue LEDs. Here's a shot of the instrument cluster-the blue makes some of the red stuff look kinda pink so I may switch to red, I've seen some other guys do that and it looks really good in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-cluster.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #54

Quote: Originally Posted by BrutalityIsLaw
Awesome thread, awesome build. I enjoyed reading this one especially because I want to do about the same to my truck. But I want mine to be more rugged to bring in the woods from time to time instead of lowered. But you do really good work, keep up the great work. I'm watching!
I'm enjoying this enough that I have floated the idea of finding an old ZR2 or 4WD S10 to turn into a little monster truck after finishing this project. Several of my in-laws are mad Jeep nuts and it would be fun to have one to go mudding and rock climbing with them. They have a great place up in the woods in north central Florida they go to. First things first though, and I would still have to get it approved by the Minister of Finance at home...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #55

Not much of an update- since the junkyard roll pan didn't fit right (probably just as well, not a fan of fiberglass anyways) I went ahead and repainted the old stock rear bumper to match-twice. Was almost finished wet sanding when I stepped out to get some more water when I hear a big -clang! My faithful watchdogs decided to run out to bark at something and knocked over the stand it was sitting on, it was pretty bad so I had to start over again- 2nd paint job not nearly as nice as the first, but it will have to do for now. Should get started painting the rest soon now that I have figured out the striping scheme I'm going to use- just have to work out how to mask it properly. Meantime, I'm almost done with making the new wiring harness/relay upgrade for the head and fog lights; will post that as soon as its done, since I'm putting my own twist on it rather than the conventional method I've seen posted elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-rear-bumper.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #56

Got the factory fog light switch installed, tied into the appropriate wiring under the dash and ran the trigger and sensor leads run through the firewall out to the engine bay. Finally had time to construct a power tap/distribution setup to get more power out to the lights.
Most of the posts I have read about upgrading the headlight wiring mostly lean towards having the "quad beam" setup and/or having the fog lights operate with both high and low beams; most of the headlight wiring upgrade work I have seen posted on the fourm is impressive and quite well done, however, call me an old "fuddy duddy", but my goal was just to improve the light output while adding fog lights and have everything function more or less as the factory intended.

When I swapped my dash last year, one of the things that came with it were the 3 relays that are usually found behind the glove box in the 95-97 trucks in a nice little cluster mount, I originally wanted to run everything from there just for convenience, but scrapped the idea cause I didn't feel like tearing into the dash again, and the long runs of wire would defeat the purpose, so I got a Dorman auxiliary 4 fuse block, and cut down a piece of aluminum server rack I had laying around for a mount for everything out by the driver side distribution block on the inside of the fender. I used a short length of 8 guage for the main feed for the "buss" through a 40 amp fuse, with 15 amp fuses feeding each circuit. All the power feeds are 12 gauge and new relay "trigger" leads are 16 gauge (which is only a little bigger than the stock headlight wiring). I popped all the pins for the relay feeds and cut the old wiring off (leaving a short length to solder to) soldered the the appropriate wire size, insulated with heat shrink and packed the individual sockets with a dab of Noalox, and reinstalled the connectors into their respective sockets. Each lead from the new distribution block is about 12 inches long and everything is wrapped in 1/2" split loom,triggers are terminated with insulated female connectors and power feed wires are terminated with insulated male connectors
Reasons for this are: I can't accidentally connect a trigger and power wire together, I really don't like soldering in the engine compartment if I don't have to, and finally, since I make my living fixing broken things, I like to have a backup. If a relay fails, my opposing connections will allow me to bypass a relay and revert to original headlight function in a pinch.
The whole setup is basically to make it easy to install and service if need be- I don't want to remove the grille to replace a fuse or relay and the resulting wire runs are no more than 6 feet long total.
Since it sits relatively close to the seam at the hood opening, it will sit at a slight tilt and I made a cover out of some plastic "Panduit" to shed any possible water that might leak on the the assembly, and the cover serves as a 'hold down" for the relays.

Most of the installations I have seen are using a direct tap off the battery with an 80 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire with individual larger 30 amp relays and fuses on each branch circuit- I commend anyone who went to the trouble to do this, especially if they are going to use "over wattage" bulbs.
I am going to switch to HIR bulbs, rated the same 55/65 watts as stock, I checked with Omron on the specs of the little relays and they are rated at 25 amps, and my calculations based on losses through the relay contacts and total length of wire should be less than 1.4%- about .2 volts, and no individual circuit should pull more than 9 amps total- even when "de-rating" the circuit 15-20% for the elevated temps in the engine bay it should be OK. I hope to get it installed this weekend and will post some pics of the install and light output before and after.
Meantime here's the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-lighting-distribution1.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-lighting-distribution2jpg.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #57
Ticket Magnet

I am just so impressed...nice work.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #58

Thanks alot. Got it finished this weekend! Boy oh boy, unwrapping the factory wiring is a chore, but gives interesting insight into how they route and connect things. Rather than splice a bunch of grounds together and use one to wire make the grounding point, I used individual wires for each bulb after carefully cleaning all the grounds on the radiator support and applying Noalox to each eyelet before securing the screws.
Re-wrapping everything is almost as much fun, but now I know exactly where everything goes, the only factory ground I didn't use was for the relay trigger grounds- that one I used one of the old mounting points formerly occupied by the old sealed beam lights.
I used new high temp sockets for all the headlights, soldering in 40 degree temps was a bit of a challenge- had to wait until the breeze died down- I need garage!
Install of the lighting distribution was a snap- I only had to drill one hole and install the studs and there was a spare lug in the distribution block on the fender.
The upgrade was worth the effort- I was originally seeing 12.8 volts at the lights and now it is 14.28- the fog lights are nearly as bright as the low beams! I still have not received the HIR bulbs, may reconsider after seeing the improvement anyways. Here's some shots of the work
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-lighting-distribution-installed.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-factory-wiring.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-new-wiring-rewrapped.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-new-wiring-rewrapped2.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #59

Before and after low beams- all of these are with the truck about 20 feet from the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-low-beams-before.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-low-beams-after.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #60

Before and after high beams- all the lighting pics would probably be even brighter, but I have a private streetlight next to the driveway about 10 feet from where the truck is parked.
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-high-beams-before.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-high-beams-after.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #61

Not so much an update as an informal poll. Getting ready to repaint the truck- going to refresh the Bahama blue metallic with some black stripes and I was sprucing up some various badges to use. I'm kinda torn between these two but leaning towards the black one. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-emblems.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #62
Ticket Magnet

They both look great. If the stripes are black, the black emblems would probably fit better.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #63
A work in progress...

I like the blue myself, but it may blend in to the body color too much.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #64

The black is easier to do and doesn't need clearcoat to bring out the color. The hardest part is prying out the clear bowtie without cracking it so the back side can be painted. They're held on with a healthy dose of adhesive silicone.
The camera shot doesn't really do the blue one justice, though I suppose the black one looks more "factory".
I actually tried to make one with blue characters, but the paint wont stick to whatever the metal cladding is, even prepping it w/400 grit first, it peels up with the masking.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #65
Ticket Magnet

What if you tried a media blast with soda...might be enought to rough it up to allow it to stick without destroying it.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #66

Wish there were some tasteful chrome ones....
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #67

Don't know how hard it would be but on my phone at first glance the top emblem(black back) looks like the bowtie has a blue fade line in to the "S" be kind of cool to extend that if you have any idea what im talking about. So blue in between the bow tie and S than fade into black in between S and 10
Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #68
Ho-Ho-Neigh-Neigh!!

Doooood! That is really looking nice! What's your paint code? I think my silver car will look really good with that blue as an accent lol
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #69

Quote: Originally Posted by SicOne
Don't know how hard it would be but on my phone at first glance the top emblem(black back) looks like the bowtie has a blue fade line in to the "S" be kind of cool to extend that if you have any idea what im talking about. So blue in between the bow tie and S than fade into black in between S and 10
I think the lighting is making it look that way, the whole background is actually black and the bowtie is blue. I'm playing around with separating the bowtie and using the letters from a newer style Silverado emblem to spell out S10 (looks like the fender emblem on the 82-83 S10) like you see on the newer Colorados. Wanna keep it some way that is easy to reproduce and still look sorta "factory".

Bricooper, the color code is WA9656 " Bahama Blue Metallic".
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #70

Haven't update in a while, been busy collecting some goodies to finish out the exterior work- new cowl hood, roll pan and sport mirrors to replace my old Pontiac mirrors. Meantime, I decided to upgrade the brakes a bit with some 13.4" Z51 rotors and LS1 calipers. Link to that install thread:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f14/ls...4/#post8166335
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #71

Ill be following this thread closely...I have the same grill you used and haven't ever figured out which Bowtie fits....? I don't want to modify one. There has to be one that fits. I think the xtreme may use a different size but i'm yet to check...on my list to finish body mods.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #72

Your dime is looking great!!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #73

Quote: Originally Posted by blazen ls1
Ill be following this thread closely...I have the same grill you used and haven't ever figured out which Bowtie fits....? I don't want to modify one. There has to be one that fits. I think the xtreme may use a different size but i'm yet to check...on my list to finish body mods.
The 82-93 and 98 and S10's up use the same bowtie emblem whether its and Xtreme or not. 94-97 uses a different size. Blazer started using the 2nd gen body/grille in 95, then it changed to the same as the trucks in 98. Some aftermarket repro grilles will have some fitment issues with the emblem- no raised outline or no recess or even both. Mine was made by Option Racing, and had neither, so the emblem had to be modified to fit right- I didn't mind the top and bottom of the emblem sticking out past the center bar a little, but with no recess the emblem wouldn't lay flush (you could see the backing plate). Using just a painted backing plate it fits both ways. A billet one might be the easiest way to go if you don't feel like messing with an original. If you're looking for an "SS" bowtie, LMC truck and ebay are the only places I know of.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #74

Haven't updated in a while- spent the last few weeks working out the details/collecting parts for swapping in the rear Z51 brakes and the zexel posi. Pulled a long one today getting both done. Only had to yank the diff one time to get the pattern right, thank goodness- August outdoors in Florida is no fun unless you're at the beach. For the rear brakes- I'm updating the thread mentioned earlier for the rears. Now that we got that stuff out of the way, its on to some paint and bodywork...
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-zexel-installed.jpg   Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-gear-pattern.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #75

Well crap- the restoration project suffered a minor setback the other day. It was almost surreal- I'm on my way home from work and sitting at a light waiting to turn left, the light turns red, there's a dump truck sitting in the middle of the intersection, and instead of just going ahead and turning, he decides to back up. I'm thinking he's just going to back up enough to get out of the intersection (I'm behind the stop bar with cars behind me), and before I know it, he's still coming and I have no where to go, while I lay on the horn and watch my hood crumple up and the truck is being pushed backwards! crazy fool didin't even know he hit me until I got him out of the cab.
Of course he didn't want any part of calling the police, or exchanging insurance info, no valid tags on the dump truck- told me if he got into one more accident he'd lose his job. I was incredulous-"one MORE accident"? I figured if the cops came, he'd probably get a ride to the nearest INS office and I'd end up empty handed, and since I have a new cowl hood sitting in the box at home anyways (kept that to myself)- I told him a trip to the nearest ATM would make it go away. 25 Jacksons did the trick and we parted ways.
The new grille and bumper got pretty scratched up and it SUCKS having to repaint them all over again, but it is what it is, and now I have enough cash to buy most of the paint supplies I need to repaint the entire truck, so I guess "all is well that ends well". In hindsight though, I just pray letting him go doesn't end up costing someone else the same or worse grief....
Attached Thumbnails
Project (Black and) Blue- restoring an old friend-crunched-hood.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.