Project: Another one. - Page 7 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project: Another one.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #301
Ridin' on Twankies

User is: OffLine
Re: Project: Another one.

Well, finally got around to working on the "cold air intake" more like ****ing hot air intake, but either way, i wasn't going for power, only cleanliness/simple engine bay.

I had originally purchased 4ft of 3" pipe from summit, and 1 3" 90 degree elbow, mandrel bent, and was going to weld it up.

Turns out i had no room to do so, so i used the 90 degree pipe alone, welded a bung for the PCV, and a grommet for the IAC, and a bracket that mounts to the valve cover and called it done. Big thanks to blake for welding that up for me, i wasnt trying to buy welding wire just to do this small project so it can sit in the welder and get all rusty.

Heres what i got so far, i need to grind the welds around the "bung" and self etch primer, and engine enamel paint it black, or silver, haven't decided yet, maybe you guys can help with that one?

I Need to find a new air filter as well, something a bit shorter than the current worn out k&n thats on there now, possibly an airraid filter or something that doesnt cost 60 dollars like most k&n filters.

The next big step on the engine compartment is the new fenders, and all TECHFLEX braided wire loom. Im tired of cracking/peeling dry rotted split loom thats a big mess and ugly to the eyes.

This shit also happened today, front right tire, has some excessive wear on the left outermost tread, maybe a toe problem, or camber problem caused this to do so... I didnt think camber would wear the very outer tread of a tire, but a few people have told me it will wear it pretty fast if the camber is excessive. Which it is, my truck has no shims in it at all, the wheels even at ride height lean out, but the right side doesn't wear tires at all, but then again it doesnt seem to have as much positive camber as the left.

SO i guess ill be buying some new tires this weekend, and throwing some new tie rod ends, and checking the front suspension parts really good, then go have it aligned. Ill prolly get the camber pretty close, and let the alignment shop just set the toe.

The truck drives damn good as it is, but the tire wearing shit has got to be solved. its only the left front tire.

^^ that tire is shot. but i just noticed it today. It could have been like this for a LONG time. maybe im paranoid... but i dont wanna ruin a good wheel.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #302
I own <several ties>

You should probably go with this.

But no, on a serious note, i wouldn't go with black because it will just blend in. Silver or some epic crazy bright pink, orange, blue, green, teal. lol
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #303

Ouch, sucks about the tire. I've noticed mine all of a sudden has a bad vibration. Guess I need to install the trans spacer I never got around to puttin in lol.

I think you should polish out the air box

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #304
Ridin' on Twankies

LOL. Trey, i cant polish steel buddy.

Its getting painted silver i guess. And then gonna respray the EDC as it looks terrible.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #305

Quote: Originally Posted by colbye32
LOL. Trey, i cant polish steel buddy.

Its getting painted silver i guess. And then gonna respray the EDC as it looks terrible.
Oh sure you can haha. I actually thought it was aluminum. I'd paint it silver in that case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #306
Ridin' on Twankies

Yeah, silver is prolly the best.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #307
ELTC

Does the York bog down your tutu at all when pumping? Im considering baggin my daily driver which has a 2.2 and i refuse to not have an edc with air ride. I dont notice it at all on my 4.3 truck
Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #308
Ridin' on Twankies

Quote: Originally Posted by Gimp
Does the York bog down your tutu at all when pumping? Im considering baggin my daily driver which has a 2.2 and i refuse to not have an edc with air ride. I dont notice it at all on my 4.3 truck
Nope, it doesnt bog it down at all.

Mine is an airlift EDC kit, a 209 mini. Compressor designed for being used as an EDC by CCI back in the day. They did some work internally to make it to be used for air and oil, and not freon. Works pretty good. Mine passes literally no oil at 150psi. I haven't put oil in it since I've owned this truck, and i check it al the time. lol
Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #309
Ridin' on Twankies

Painted the intake like 2 weeks ago, and still never posted pictures of it.

Its VHT Aluminum color, has a nice shine even without clear. Still need to get a new air filter. Researching the correct size filter I want/need for it on K&n's site, but i need to do some measuring first.

Just been driving the shit outta this thing. Need some fenders, and some paint supplies and id get it all one color. Soon enough that will come!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #310
Ridin' on Twankies

well, heres some pics.

put in my EQ

Changed my oil with some mobil 1 fully synthethic extended performance.
my dad runs this stuff to 12-15k miles with no problems, its guaranteed for 15k miles. Costs a little more, but i wont have to change my oil for a long time.

I sanded all the ****ED UP paint off my hood, took about 4-5 hours to get it down to the factory 2k primer. was a pain in my asshole.

painted my hood with this - turned out like shit. need a spray gun and the quarts. nozzle isnt wide enough to use on large panels...

GMC cyclone....

I also got some new fenders.

My mom ran over them, fixed one, one got trashed, so i got another one.

Should start working on those/paint/bodywork shit soon enough.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #311
Independent

Sounds almost like 1 step forward 1 step back. At least some of it is making progress. Keep at it, it is looking good.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #312
Ridin' on Twankies

More like 5 steps back, and one foward.

Story of my life buddy
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #313

looks like my old dime! I love it, Plans for paint soon? If so, what color?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #314
Ridin' on Twankies

When I actually do base/clear paint it will be blue.

I may shoot this thing with some matte black single stage to hold me over
Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #315
ELTC

Quote: Originally Posted by colbye32

Changed my oil with some mobil 1 fully synthethic extended performance.
my dad runs this stuff to 12-15k miles with no problems, its guaranteed for 15k miles. Costs a little more, but i wont have to change my oil for a long time.

this stuff scares me man. idk the thought of not putting fresh oil in my truck ever 3000 miles is unnerving. if I blew my motor up with their 15K mile motor oil I just feel they wouldn't stand behind it and replace my shit and i'd be SOL. post up some updates after 3000 on how the oil is looking if you could?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #316
Independent

I do the same thing with Royal Purple. I have not had any issues so far. You do need to remember to check the oil though.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #317
Ridin' on Twankies

I'm not scared of it. I've changed the oil in my dads Buick rainier for 125k miles since he's used this oil...

It never looks burnt coming out. It's orangish/golden color all the time...

It's proven to me it's worth the money and that it works. I'm 150 percent sure of it. He runs his to 15k miles every time.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #318
needs a cheeseburger

if i went 15,000 before i changed my oil,i wouldnt have to change my oil for 2 years
Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #319
ELTC

Quote: Originally Posted by tohoopty
if i went 15,000 before i changed my oil,i wouldnt have to change my oil for 2 years
same her bro. that's what scares me letting it sit. I maybe put 4000-7000 miles on my bagged truck a summer.
think im gonna try this stuff in my 2.poo daily driver tho. thx colbye
Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #320
needs a cheeseburger

i changed my oil at christmas and im just now hitting the 3,000 mile point lol.its not black yet so im not gonna change it right yet.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #321
Ridin' on Twankies

UPDATE!

Friday i got off work, and was tinkering around the garage, and went to get my toolbag from outta the extended cab area, and my damn driver seat motor started acting up, and i just held it down till it smoked the **** out and caught the wiring on fire under the foam. LOL

The seat has been messing up for a while, it got to where it would pop a 20amp fuse in 2 seconds, then a 30, then i put 8 guage wiring in the truck when i swapped the cab for the seats, and that wiring will NEVER melt, so it blew a 40amp fuse, then i stepped up to a 60 amp maxi, and it never blew that fuse, it just melted the seat wiring.

So i took the seat apart, fixed the wiring somewhat, and lubed the motor up and it works okay, but still is worn out and the foam has a lot of wear, so i just decided id get a new seat or a new set.

went out to pull-a-part and got lucky, a jimmy had just came in with the same exact seats in it, and i was going to grab both, but my passenger side is really good and all the electronics work. It has one burn mark from where my roof welding experience went wrong, SO i grabbed the complete driver seat, and the passenger side complete cover.

heres the seat

I took the seat home and took it apart, and put ALL the covers in the washing machine 3 times. They look and smell pretty damn new now. should look nice.

pics of the pile of sonoma parts, and the disassembled seats and covers

terrible lighting but they came clean.

Aside from that, I went to the bar on saturday, stayed till 2am. Had prolly too many drinks. My pressure switch on my EDC is only a 135psi switch, not enough air to do shit when 2 people are riding in there, the passenger side wanted to lean. So me and my bro hop in, go to QT and get gas, from there we hit i75, and turned the viair compressor on and drove this far.

Directions to 714 Spring St NW, Atlanta, GA 30308
32.7 mi – about 34 mins

Well for 35 minutes, i left the viair compressor on, didnt have a clue it was on. How i found out was i aired up the truck in atlanta cause the roads there are shitty. And the truck hopped off the ground when i tapped the switchbox, and i looked down at the gauges, and i had well over 200psi in the front bags. I glance over at the tank pressure gauge, the needle had curved it had stopped so hard on 200. Id assume i had 350-400psi in my tank at this point.

So when i got to atlanta, i realized the viair compressor didnt sound right, so i just left it alone... Tonight, i get home and crawled under the truck to look at it. Turns out the leader hose had blown off of its crimped barb fitting. I just shoved it back on there and it seems to hold. pretty scary knowing this could have ended my damn life. I have no check valves on the truck besides on the compressors. and if the air gauge line would have broken, i would have met the ground at 75+mph....

So i just shoved it back on there.

I assume i probably need to get a new hose for this thing. Any ideas?

Anyone ever had this happen to them before?

And a pressure switch is a must for that thing!

it is wired up for it, but i just have it on a toggle cause i didnt have a pressure switch for it. lol..
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #322
needs a cheeseburger

my friend had one blow off his leader hose just like that.he was driving and the whole truck layed out cause the tank lost all pressure once the line came off.pushed it back on and he never had any problems after that.he had a 145 psi switch too.i never used to run a pressure switch and sometimes id forget to turn it off.left my house with 100 psi one time,drove down the road 11 miles and when i came to a stop i heard something.noticed my compressors were still on.had 180 in my tank then.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #323
Ridin' on Twankies

im glad the viair check valve held the pressure. i never use that compressor much anyway, as its an electric backup. ill try it tomorrow and spray it with soapy water to see if it looks like its going to come off while its pumping. i dont wanna have any trouble from it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #324
ELTC

I actually had the same thing happen yesterday on my way to north Branford. 60 mile trip. I looked up at my gauges and my tank pressure gauge had the needle pinned against the stopper before zero. I have my comps (edc and two 444's) on a toggle and pressure switch if forget to shut them down early and apparently the pressure switch shit the bed..
I have check valves all over my truck tho so the only way I can lose air pressure ever is if I blow a gauge line. but I carry a spool of gauge line and bag of 1/8" unions in the truck just incase I ever gotta do surgery
Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #325
Ridin' on Twankies

Gimp,

Your compressor line go back on with no leaks? I hanent checked to see if mine leaks yet since I shoved it back on there
Old 07-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #326
ELTC

my line never blew off. maybe cuz its a brand new comp?? luckily I got the p/s changed out and had no other issues as of yet.. knock on chevy
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #327
Ridin' on Twankies

Well haven't really done anything with it lately, until this weekend. Been so busy with work, its hard to work on a project vehicle after you're burned out on the thought of working on anything.

Anyway, this weekend, I got some new TOYO proxes 4 tires from blake293209, Installed some new upper, and lower balljoints, lower control arm bushings, and new outer tie rod ends. I got the 2 rear tires mounted, plan to have the truck aligned this week, and install the 2 front tires soon enough. Although, i may wear out the current fronts, as they prolly have a few thousand miles left, or might yank them off and sell them on craigslist or keep them as spares. I hate riding on mismatched tires.

Anyway. here are some pictures of this process, Will post up some pictures later on. Next plans are for sure paint & body, i know i keep saying this, but as you run out of small shit to do, you gotta do the big stuff!

Pics are in random order. But its all done. Drives nice now. NO slop in the steering. Everything is super tight. I hope it all breaks in and gets a little easier to steer actually. Im sure after a few hundred miles it will be smooth as silk. Everything is greased and all looks good. Eliminated the main problem, the damn squeaking!

nice old bushing..

NEW REAR TIRES! mounted...

new fronts just chilling
Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #328
ELTC

did blake just happen to have those or does he get a good deal on tires and shipped them to ya. I need a new 245/30/22 Falken tire
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #329
Ridin' on Twankies

i think he bought 6 or 8 of them at one time at a real low price. he sold 2 and kept 4 for intents on going on his black bodydropped s10.

but since it will never be finished, he sold them to me

I got them at a pretty good deal.

keep your eyes out on tirerack.com and other sites they have closeout specials sometimes when they need to move old stock
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #330
Ridin' on Twankies

Got this thing aligned today, camber and toe are set correctly. however my caster is way off. got new tires mounted up too...

we didnt shim it or anything, as i didnt know what way to shim it... maybe some of you guys can help me.

My passenger side caster is 9.0* postivie. and left is 6.5* positive. Ive read that these trucks like 5.0* positive for a daily/street/show car/truck.

My question is which side of the control arm do i add the shims to ? the side closest to the firewall, or closest to the radiator?

I need to remove some positive caster, and get it closer to a lower number.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #331
ELTC

yea 5 is where you want it. idk what to tell you tho as I have shims on both sides of my arms
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #332
Ridin' on Twankies

I shimmed the passenger side in more than the driver side, and it still drives like shit. Gonna get him to re-check the alignment sometime next week or so. shit is ****ing annoying. bout making me want to sell the damn truck.

I hate knowing i spent a **** load of money re-doing everything and it drives worse now than it ever has.

and its so ****ing hard to adjust with stock upper arms. theres just simply no room in there.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #333
Ridin' on Twankies

Well guys been a long time since I've updated. Done quite a bit to the truck.

Got it all aligned up perfectly finally after the new front end work and tires, truck runs and drives great. No problems what so ever.

Got a new EDC belt installed as well, one of the gates green belts, they wont stretch like those cheap ribbed ones will..

I recently started getting together all the stuff for the new audio build, running 2 sundown neo pro 8's in the doors on the discus 125x4, and will be running some selenium st-200 in the dash, currently im running the JL audio 5.25" still, sounds really good as is, but know ill need more.

Here are the doors, i installed some madisound grilles over the mids to keep peoples feet from kicking the mids in. never know what dumbass will get in and smash your cones..

for those of you who dont know, im running a kenwood kiv-bt900, tagged along with a old school kenwood kdc-9044 eq. love the adjustability on the fly.

Heres some unfinished photos of the new box, its a little over 5 cubes, should be close to 5 after displacement, ill be using some pillows in the box, or some foam glued inside for a "polyfill" effect, but since it will have a massive 8" aeroport, the pillow idea may be best to keep all that filling inside without blowing around. Box was built to fit the truck, im 6'7" and have to have all my recline room. Sub will be behind the passenger seat, just like the old box, port firing into the 3rd door just like the old box.

port drawn out - rough idea here.

Picked up an audioque 2200 the other day for a steal, really clean mint condition amp, cant beat it.

Some of the PSI recone, sub will be a 2005 RE HC 18" - with psi recone, dual spiders, sewn leads, XSPOWER direct 8 gauge leads. 6" domed dust cab.

And for those of you who dont know, I have a xs power d3400 in the jump seat location, and running a brand new dr44 alternator, will prolly throw a overdrive pulley on it soon, just for a little extra idle output until i can get a 250+amp alternator. Made a simple bracket to adapt this to the little 2.2

Basement full of random parts and stuff i been collecting. LOL

and heres some of the actual truck, that may be posted elsewhere, but deal with it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #334
Ridin' on Twankies

Well, I got some more progress photos.

Here is the port/box almost finished up, Still need to recone the sub, cut the baffles for the flushmount etc, then its time for finish work/paint etc.

Here is the port, 1.5" roundover, intergrated into the box, centered on the outside.

Before cutting the inside port etc.

After, edges not cut to fit in this picture but it was done...

edges trimmed, outside flare not made yet..

Port screwed/mounted inside the box. Very, very secure. Port has rings around it, which are CA glued to the PVC, then screwed, and glued into the box. Not going anywhere!

Port finished, still need to sand/smooth/paint.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #335
layed_sdime

Sweeeeeeeeettttttttttt! !!!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #336
Ridin' on Twankies

I had a shipment come in from PartsExpress, so I got right into that. I ordered some selenium st-200 super tweeters, and some voltage meters, and a temperature gauge for the amps.

I used some ABS plastic to mount the seleniums in, fit nicely under the stock speaker grilles,with no more modification since my last JL 5.25" dash install. If you were doing these in a stock dash, be prepared to cut, heat, bend, cuss, and drink beer to get these in...

Compared to the JL

The next project over the weekend was the mounting of the volt/temp gauges in the factory ash tray. For starters,I dissasembled the ash tray, and extended the slots about 3/8"-1/2" more than factory, Allowing the ash tray to open further... youll see why.. IF I did not slot these holes, the top gauge would not have been visible.

Once I had the slots made larger, I then proceeded to cutout a piece of 1/8" thick ABS plastic sheet to match the original shape/sizse of the ash tray opening/lighter panel... seen here.

I then cut the square holes with a dremel, and installed the meters. I did have to shave some off the bezels of the meters to get them to sit nice and flush and work correctly. The faces of them will be painted black.

A quick photo showing the gauges fit, everything opens and closes very similar to factory.

Here are the gauges installed and testing. There are 2 temperature probes, one for the 4 channel amp, and one for the mono amp. The volt meter will be going on the mono amp only. Both temp probes will be put into the heat sink (fins) of the amp, with a drop of super glue/epoxy holding it down. Ignore the yellow paint pen markings, this panel will be removed and painted satin black before installation. The good thing is, 2 screws and the whole panel will literally come out, if i was to ever need to replace a meter or temp probe.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #337
Ridin' on Twankies

Well Well, everthing seems to be coming together really nicely.

Got the volt meter/temperature meter panel finisnhed up, need to run the wiring back to the amp, but for now its hooked up to the factory cigarette lighter plug, using a relay reversing the polarity to come on and off. using the remote lead from the headunit, tied to 1 single relay, converting that + signal to - signal, since these meters only have + and -, there is no other way to have it "remotely" come on.

Looks real good in the night and day, very easily visible, and not too bright, and if they are, just close it up like a factory ash tray.

Also, test fitted the amp today.. will be running a solid new run of 2/0 welding cable from the front to the rear of the truck to replace the shitty 1/0 cable thats in there now, thats about the size of 4 gauge, its clad. junk. So soon i will be gutting most of the interior out of the truck to install all the new wire, wire for volt meter, new ipod cable, speaker leads for subwoofer box under carpet etc.

Heres an idea of what it will look like under the amp rack..

Also got the HC 18" recone finally done, a little bs problems here and there but for my first recone, id say it turned out pretty decent. The glue psi sent for the dustcap called "rubber adhesive" had dried up inside the tube, so i had to use some "amazing goop" that everyone recommended to use, and it didn't turn out pretty at all, but then again, you wont really see the sub anyway, so im okay with it..

Also, today got my buddy to cut the holes with the router for the box, magenet ended up being too large to do a flush mount setup, so we went ahead and did the full 1.5" baffle, and im going to get him to cut me some nice "trim panels" for the front of the box to make it look "flush" when its all said and done, it should look real good!

I bought a gallon of 3m resin, and we did the 3 sides of the box without the baffle on today, nice thick coat id say 1/8" thick, whole inside, nice and slick, and hard as a damn rock..

A few pictures of the resin cured, and rock hard..

Heres a picture of the isnide with the baffle on.. will be scraping that excess glue out, and dumping a TON more resin inside the box, possibly some on the outside of the box...

Heres the big stack of wire ready to go in, the main 12ft run of 2/0 for the battery to the main fuse box, the 8 gauge power leads for sub box to amp, and the main runs from the battery to the amp, both positive and negative, using DIYMA CCA oversized 1/0 cable, should be fine.

Stay tuned for more updates, Also got the stinger NOISE filters in today from amazon, installed one, no change, i need to ground the brown wire directly to where the source unit is hooked up so i can see how it sounds then..
Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #338
keepin it freshhh

Great job on the box
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #339
Independent

I really like your amp rack cover. Do you show anywhere how you did that?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #340
Ridin' on Twankies

UPDATE!

Since last time I've updated, I've pretty much completed this build, besides some minor tweaks and tunes that I'm going to be doing to make myself happy with all of it.

For starters, I got the box fully resined on the inside after the wood glue dried on the front baffles, I used another 28oz or so of resin on the front baffle inside the box the next day, and even put some on the exterior of the box, to fill in the screw holes,and give it a nice hard surface to prime/paint/vinyl as i wasnt sure which route i was going yet.

Some black primer all over the enclosure will give the paint/glue a nice coating to adhere to. I ended up going with vinyl. Whisper black in color.

Here is the wrapping of the box, I also put 6 yards of polyfill inside the box, glued and stapled. its def. not going anywhere..

Here is the amplifiers wired all up, awaiting re-install of the interior panels...

Interior panel installed, along with false floor

Test fitted the box...

Took it down to my buddies shop, where we built the side panels to cover all the seams on the vinyl sides.. Used 1/4" MDF, used a 45* angle router bit along side all the edges, and a 1/4" roundover on the port hole. We installed vinyl over the side panels, and on the port side used a nice black grill cloth. We used liquid nails construction adhesive to adhere the left side panel on and installed 1/4" dowels into the right panel as we had planned to make it removeable, but ended up using some wood glue in the dowel holes to make it a permanent side panel, as i decided it did NOT need to be removable, as it would benefit nothing..

Today we finished the install, tuned everything with a DD-1, no clipping at volume 30 on the sub, and the mids and highs dont clip even at full tilt which is volume 35. soft clipping begins around 32-33. max volume is 35.. Here are the pics of the box in the truck, more will be taken tomorrow as it got dark on me tonight.

And HERE lies the problem, when building the box I did NOT calculate enough room from the port exit to the side of the truck which is firing into the 3rd door. The port is an 8" port, so ideal you want 4" of room between the port and the area its firing into, which in my case is not the hatch, its the 3rd door. SO, in order for this thing to load the cabin correclty, and sound better, I'm going to have to move the battery tray/wiring etc all over a few inches and tuck it more behind the old jumpseat panel, so the port will have some room to breathe. That will be this coming weekends project.

More pics tomorrow. Enjoy.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #341
Ridin' on Twankies

Okay guys, been up and bumping for a few days now.. The sub seems to be broken in just fine and everything playing fine.

I noticed the box could be slid over about 1.25" by trimming the passenger jump seat interior panel, therefore giving me more room for the port to breathe. So I took advantage of this..

here is the false floor removed, panel marked.

cutting it...

panel cut down

Here is the false floor sat back over the amps, showing its higher than the battery hold down bolt, which i had to cut the excess threads from...

Random picture of my "terminals" using 8 guage kicker OFC wire, going inside the box, to the direct leads from xspower. nice wire on both sides..

Box now sits flush against the battery..

Picture of this 18" monster..

And the added room on the left side for the port to breathe.. seems to be a little happier now.

Thats all for now, def. Looking into getting an alternator soon. But overall Im happy with the sound of the box, but NOT at all pleased with the output for an 18... I may switched to a sealed box, or may swap up to 6 10's or 3 12's. Opinions??
Old 11-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #342
I own <several ties>

Need to slide that box on over about 4 more inches.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #343
Maybe later.

User is: Online

Box looks great.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #344
Ridin' on Twankies

Quote: Originally Posted by blake293209
Need to slide that box on over about 4 more inches.
I'll prolly be sliding this whole setup 4" closer to craigslist very soon.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #345
Ridin' on Twankies

Alright guys, haven't really done a whole lot to the truck lately.. just been driving it as usual. too cold to do anything else.

I did get a 300 amp externally regulated alternator with a MSD 1.6" pulley from my buddy. I still owe him money on the alternator, he mainly said stick this on there and see how it goes. and it does extremely well. about .40 volt drop, at full tilt, ac on, and at night with all accessories. Regulator set at 14.8V I never drop below 14.

Regulator mounted under the PCM, no other place for it.

Picture of the alternator itself, and some new brackets I quickly fabbed up. There is now a bracket on the REAR of the alternator, going to the engine block, like the original setup, only beefier. Ignore the belt dust, that was from when I had too many shims in the alternator pulley.

And some random pictures of the truck at the movie theatre. Haven't laid it out in months, figured id lay it down. forgot how hard this shit actually lays. Tucks the **** outta some wheel. legit.

Can't wait to get this shit painted, and tinted.

More audio stuff will come soon, because its cheap, and easy to mess with. Changing from the 8" side port, to a slot port on top, or either a external aeroport between the seats. either way, it will be done.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #346
Dropt10

I know it's been a while since you had the leader hose blow off, but you should get a safety release valve. I have one on my truck that blows off air if the tank reaches anything over 200 psi. They're like $15 on Ebay I think.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #347
Ridin' on Twankies

Yeah, i have a few of them. One of them is already on the EDC for 200psi, just never got around to sticking one on the tank. I RARELY use that compressor. Maybe like once every 2 weeks. just to get from like 140, back up to 150psi. my edc switch wont kick back on until 135.

But thanks for the reminder, wouldn't hurt to throw one on there.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #348
layed_sdime

Sweet build man. Keep it up. I know it may sound wierd but I kind of dig it multi-colored
Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #349
Ridin' on Twankies

Lol. Thanks man.

people always hate on it for being like 10 different colors.

I don't want to make the typical idiot mistake and rattle can it just so it's one color... I've had people say "just flat black spray bomb it"

Ill just wait until I can do it right LOL. I'm not a half adding type person.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #350
Ridin' on Twankies

UPDATE: - Well not really.. Not much new.. LOL

Been driving the hell out of this thing, currently has 14k miles on the mobil 1 advanced synthetic oil I used back in June of 2013. Still nice and clean.
No problems at all from the oil. I'll be changing it at its reccomended 15k miles, and using 10w40 mobil 1 high mileage, it gives the truck better oil pressure on these 100+ degree days we will be having very soon. I'm picky about these types of things. I don't want to be putting a motor in this truck anytime soon.

I've changed my stereo setup twice since I last posted. The PSI reconed 18 didn't hold up to what I was throwing at it, so I ended up buying 4 12's and building a box for those,more cone area, and more port, and a bigger box, I must say it was very impressive to be 4 cheap woofers, it looked as good as it sounded as well.. Heres a few pics of the 4 12's ported
tuned to 36hz. Played really nice and low, down to 30, and all the way to 46+hz.

Picture of the 18, after cooking it.. LOL

Unwrapped box...

Wrapped in charcoal carpet from parts express..

Well, I then got bored, and me and a buddy came across 2 SSA evil 18's for a price we couldn't pass up... So we got them. Im currently running 1 SSA evil 18" in 7.5 cubes ported, tuned to 32hz. Simply, the loudest, and lowest I've heard my truck. For those who don't know, a SSA evil is a 3250WRMS sub, Giaint, massive as hell Is can i can say. I have yet to carpet this box as well, but I will be wrapping it very soon. I may post up some videos soon enough to show you guys what this stuff is all about. Crazy flex, My truck hates it.

The port is a drop in port. Remove 5 screws, and its out. You can cut, or add material to it to change the port tuning. Currently its setup 1.5" external, hence the use for the spacers under it, all intergrated to look 1 piece.

More pics after some random Wheel cleaning, polishing to remove all the winter debris...

I did install LED interior lights as well. Pictures don't do justice of the quality of these lights, Much better than stock i must say.

I also installed a set of 55W 6k HIDS, they are a pure white since they are 55w, not 35W, the 6k is actually clearer white than a 35w 5k. Really nice and bright, this is on an open road at night with no traffic..

I started purchasing the materials to start doing the bodywork, and primer/paint work as well. I ordered 150ft of techflex wire loom to re-do the underhood harnesses in all techflex vs split loom... I am going to be ordering 1 large trailer fender as well so I can re-do the front clip of the truck with some nice perfect shape fenders, and the bodywork and paint will start as soon as it gets a little warmer. Been putting this off for way too long, but it WILL happen this year. Im tired of riding in a truck that runs and drives so well, yet looks so rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.