[Project] 1989 Chevrolet S10. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

[Project] 1989 Chevrolet S10.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Blitzkreig.

User is: OffLine
[Project] 1989 Chevrolet S10.

As the title reads.

Picked it up for $450.00, 315***kms on the drivetrain, moldy interior, sliding rear glass window, rubber floor, T5, 2.5L Iron Duke, short box, gay fender flares, and rubber trim clad on the body.

When I got the truck home, I removed the rubber trim, fender flares, and washed it of course, however. It didn't really do much good for the fading away red paint.

Here are some pictures(old, yes I do know.)

So, yesterday I was really tearing into the truck and removing items... I realized I need to remove my entire dash to really clean up the mold/mildew... So, while I was in the process, I removed the dash speaker covers and noticed that there were Pioneer 6x9's in the front, and again in the rear. Last time I was at Canadian Tire, those were selling for $150.00 for 2, 4 in total is $300.00. I cleaned the dash parts, scuffed them up and hit them with some black paint.. I hit a stump when removing the guage cluster, I do not understand how to remove the temperature control arm from the little knob you slide up and down to control the temperature. So I went to removing the seats and other various interior items.. Looks like I have to re-weld in some floor boards, oh.. And replace the seats they are far too gone. The floor will be changed over to carpet when I am re-doing the interior(seat belts, seats, sound, etc.), headliner is fubar'd so, I will need to replace the material on it. Also! Does anyone know what size the Torx head is for the seat belt bolt? I think it is a T55, my dad thinks it's a T50.

Pictures to come for sure.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #2

Re: [Project] 1989 Chevrolet S10.

Wow, looks like quite the project you got on your hands. Any major plans for it? Or just clean up and use as a daily?

If I'm thinking of the part youre actually talking about, the temp knob should just pull off. Someone else will likely chime in and state for sure, but it should pull off. Do a good job of getting rid of that mold, you dont want to be breathing that in.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

cool man good luck! u gonna bag it? bd? v8?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by heeter_33
Wow, looks like quite the project you got on your hands. Any major plans for it? Or just clean up and use as a daily?

If I'm thinking of the part youre actually talking about, the temp knob should just pull off. Someone else will likely chime in and state for sure, but it should pull off. Do a good job of getting rid of that mold, you dont want to be breathing that in.
I had to breathe it in for about 45mins, haha.. Pulled over to get some air, noticed it was really effecting me, so yes, gutting the entire interior to clean it right up... Using bleach, baking soda, the whole nine yards just to kill the mold/mildew. Pulled the headliner out today, just need to remove the old foam and re-wrap it. Thanks for the tip, I will go see if it works!

Quote: Originally Posted by phoxxxey
cool man good luck! u gonna bag it? bd? v8?
I want to do a 4/5 drop with a V8, however... I might just bag it instead of the 4/5 drop.. Not sure if a bagged daily(summer vehicle) is the way to go though. Need to get some more information on it.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Blitzkreig.

Well I am happy to say.. I have pictures. Not a whole lot, and I have been using my blackberry to take pictures with. It does not have an auto focus on it, or it does I just do not know how to use it properly..

Anyways, the rust on the roof thank-fully is just surface rust. The rust inside of the cab is surface rust from moisture being stuck in the headliner..

Interior is almost fully gutted.. Running into a few problems, got the passenger side belt off, however. The driver side, I haven't attempted due to the factor I do not want to strip the Torx head, or the bolt.

The rear jumper seats are a pain in the ass to try and take out..

Not the best of pictures..

Rust on the roof(inside under headliner)

Crappy tire exhaust tip.. For that extra ricer touch..

These two items(parking brake release cable, and air temperature control unit) are the two items keeping me from removing the dash completely.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
No longer a pizza tech.

the parking brake, look up under the dash, there will be a little notch that the cable slides into. youll see what i mean when you look underneath. and as far as the ac controls. that just slides off.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by 90blueS10
the parking brake, look up under the dash, there will be a little notch that the cable slides into. youll see what i mean when you look underneath. and as far as the ac controls. that just slides off.
Thanks! I got it off, just need to remove the temperature control unit, and one more bolt to finally get the dash out.. However...

Rubber flooring is out. Tomorrow will be a strict cleaning of the floor.

So happy that I do not have to replace the passenger side floor panel(the one with a puddle on it..)

Will have to see about the drivers side tomorrow though. See what is hiding under that dirt and crude.. Also, may have found some of the electrical problems also. Some wires are damaged, torn, split apart. Bulbs in the dash cluster are burned right out, so. All plastic parts are getting painted black, and the accents(minor) will be painted red/lighted red.

Interior dome light will be red, bulbs for the dash cluster and readers will be red, I want to change the turn signal items red, however.. I don't think that, that is possible sadly.

Only items in the interior needing to be removed are the following... Dash, Steering wheel, shifter boot and knob, passenger jump seat, both panels in the rear for the jump seats, seatbelt mechanisms' and the floor panel that goes next to the door.. Kick panel? Not sure.

Interior is almost done though! Need to get some more black paint though..
Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Blitzkreig.

Well, I ran out of black paint and it started to rain, so I started putting the interior back together(main reason is my friend is wanting me to come and get her with her stuff and bring it back to this town.)

Interior is fully cleaned, just putting parts back in, need to replace the bulbs in my dash before I can officially drive at night though, and I must fix my wiper issue.

Anyone know how to fix it, push for washer fluid, when the arm comes back the wiper switch itself stays on low, instead of staying off like it is supposed too. Oh, and it doesn't work at all.

Damn spiders and their young!

Might need to replace unless I soak it in a bucket of 75 - 25 water/bleach.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
certified crazy

I had an 89 and with the wiper situation I had the same issue, I just turned it off instead of giving a s**t
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by 96dimer
I had an 89 and with the wiper situation I had the same issue, I just turned it off instead of giving a s**t
So this is a common problem then, yes?

I need to check my fuse panel to see if the fuse blew for the wiper motor, or if the wiper motor itself is fried, or the switch doesn't work anymore.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
No longer a pizza tech.

i have an 89 blazer and a 90 s10 and my buddies got a 93 s10. All of which have wiper problems. Coming no randomly while driving. coming on when you hit the turn signal. Im about to shave mine, at least get the billet caps for the posts. lol
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
Blitzkreig.

Picture dump...

Minor update, but it's still progress from where I was before! When the rain was falling, I noticed that the windshield is leaking. Some black silicon will fix that, when I get to it of course..

Got the back plate put back on.

Starting to look like an interior again..

Still need to order in the floor. Other than that, I got the windstripping put back on correctly(previous owner had them backwards).

So odd, some black parts, some gray parts, something isn't right..

Bed o' garbage.

Rims.

Beauty rings.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

If your truck doesn't have intermittent wipers, i'm pretty sure its actually supposed to go into low and stay locked in, mine does it, and it sounds like a few others do as well. It's just GM being cheap
Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by sten123
If your truck doesn't have intermittent wipers, i'm pretty sure its actually supposed to go into low and stay locked in, mine does it, and it sounds like a few others do as well. It's just GM being cheap
I have the intermittent wiper switch.

Raining, so no progress at all sadly. Currently looking for a new box though. Passenger side is mangled, reason for the passenger side door being replaced.

Also, found out someone had broke into this truck before. Jamb at top of drivers side looks like it has been attacked by a screw driver.

Anyhow. Back onto the search for well priced exterior parts! Won't deal with LMC truck.. Roll pan I want is cheap, shipping makes it $500.00+ Which I don't really feel like spending.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #15

This is a great thread i should have done one on mine i lifted a 89 dime 5 inches to put 32 inch mud tires and went thru it all the way front to back ran into all kinds of differnt problems but it was all worth it in the end hopefully i will have some pics up soon apart from that its looking good
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by bigfish909
This is a great thread i should have done one on mine i lifted a 89 dime 5 inches to put 32 inch mud tires and went thru it all the way front to back ran into all kinds of differnt problems but it was all worth it in the end hopefully i will have some pics up soon apart from that its looking good

Thanks man!

So price searching, a new/decent box will run me anywhere from $300.00 - $650.00.

Also, just on a side note.. Going to get a fullsize 350, transmission and rear end from the scrap yard! So, yes. V8 will be going into this, however... The plans are..

Interior, Exterior, Bag it, V8 it. Possibly looking at an easy $20,000.00 + by the end of this build.. I would've been able to buy a brand new 2011 Canyon/Colorado base model for $17,000.00(est.) lol
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
Blitzkreig.

Update, no pictures though sadly.

Found out why my horn does not work, fuse is fried, need to replace it. All other fuses are fine... Time to look into the wiper motor, I really hope it's the motor itself and not a frayed wire.

Speakers all work, quite happy with that. Radio itself does not work.

Waiting on money to get my seats and carpet, and some more black paint to paint the last of the plastics. Need to replace both driver and passenger side door panels sadly. They are quite damaged on the inside(where the clips go).

Hurry up Payday!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #18
Blitzkreig.

Thread is getting buried!

Sorry again for a picture-less update.

Have been debating to either, do the bodywork before the V8 swap, or V8 swap before bodywork... I am leaning hard towards doing the V8 swap, as I need to remove a lot of the items to clean the frame up anyways, with pulling the cab off so I can do some tunnelling to the firewall and other various items like adding some more strength to the frame, putting in a 4 link(still might go with bagging it.).

I found a fullsize 350, transmission and rear end for cheap in a used auto parts/junkyard of course, all in good condition. I will do a rebuild and conversion from TBI to Carburated on the engine. Rebuild the transmission, and rebuild the rear-end. I might also put in some better items for the two also.

Anyways, that is my picture-less update.. Just a thought on what to do first.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
Blitzkreig.

So. Found myself a 1994 Core support, and rear end out of a 4x4 Blazer. No need for a full size rear end. The rear end is for the 4.3L Vortec, I do believe it is.. 4.11:1?

Anyhow. I've had company over so I haven't really been doing much work on this. I've gotten the 2" cowl hood, waiting on fenders and driver side inner. Need doors. These ones are no where near being save-able.

Going to get Pete, to do the body work around my windshield for me, and cab corner on the passenger side.

Anyways, I've got a few pictures to share with the ladies and gentlemen of this site.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
TheNotoriousGLD

Slow and steady. What did you end up doing with the "gay" fender flares?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #21
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Slow and steady. What did you end up doing with the "gay" fender flares?
They are sitting under all of the other stuff in my box. So are the center caps, the center caps are ruined, the two from the passenger side are cracked and missing some items. The two drivers are perfectly fine, just need to be cleaned up really...

So I don't think I will have to end up buying new inner fenders at all now. Taking a closer look at the drivers side one today, it seems if I sand it right down, and hit it with some Por15, prime, sealer prime, hit it with some spray paint it will look new. Saving more money!

Need doors though.. Still need to pick up the Blazer, will be done next week though... Hella stoked for this Blazer.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #22
Blitzkreig.

I've got an update! fenders came in, was able to save my inners(was quite pleased on that!)

Going to trade bumpers with my dad(bought a new one and new lower air deflector)

Need to buy new bumper bolts though.

Anyhow... Onto the pictures!

And this is what happens when you are not safe with an 80g flap wheel on a grinder.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #23
First Gen FTW!

Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you, but keep at it, its loooking better.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by TN-Noma
Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you, but keep at it, its loooking better.
Thanks man! I'm going to be trading my stock u-bolts for my rear end for my friends blocks and u-bolts. Still on a hunt for a donor truck..
Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #25
Blitzkreig.

Well, the front end is close to being finished(body wise), need to fix the alignment on the fender(top front[hood] is too low, and bottom rear[door] is too high that it is hitting the door.)

Now, I know the rims need to be dealt with, I will get to it as soon as I get the drills battey charged up.(Have some wire wheels for the drill, just so I don't mess up my tires because they are still in reaaally good condition!)

Beauty rings are going to get polished up(only polished one and it looks a lot better!)
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #26
Square-body crazy

Nice.Definately plan to keep a watch on this
Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #27
Blitzkreig.

Beauty rings are all shined up. Need to wait until I can keep the rims up, and hit them with some paint to put them back on!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #28
Blitzkreig.

I got a one piece grill for my truck!

Now, my question upon this one is.. Seeing as my truck is an 1989, with a 4-piece grill, do I have to change my core support to have my headlights center in the grill properly, or can I use my current one for the time being? I really want to get this truck out on the streets. So I can get rid of my Camry.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #29
First Gen FTW!

Yes you will need a 91-93 core support or headlight relocators.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #30
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by TN-Noma
Yes you will need a 91-93 core support or headlight relocators.
Would a 1994 Blazer Core support work by chance? There is one out at the dump.. Core support is in awesome shape.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #31
Square-body crazy

It should. As long as the core support came from a vehicle with a 1 piece grill you will be fine.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
Blitzkreig.

Ok awesome! Hopefully tomorrow I can get both, the wiper motor and core support.. Then get the front end all put back together, pull the wheels off, clean them up good, hit them with some primer, and then some black paint, and put the beauty rings back on.

Still need to fix my fender gap/hood gap..
Old 07-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #33
Square-body crazy

Looking good so far. I can't wait to start my next project
That "New project" feeling has already worn off mine..
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #34
Blitzkreig.

Going to run the 4-piece grille for the time being. Once I find my 91 core support, I will be changing over to the 1-piece grill.

Was raining constantly, on and off all day today. Got a break at around 6pm, so I was working on the truck. The gap between the drivers door and fender is messed, I tighten down the bolt for the bottom of the fender, I can't open the door without having metal to metal contact. I wonder if I need to do some cutting to this fender, it all lines up correctly, the hood - fender gap is fixed and doesn't look like a valley.

Got the wiper motor off, waiting for the new one to get in.

Started to also put the interior back together, until I lost light. So, tomorrow I will hopefully have both seats cleaned up, epoxy all dried up on my light switch housing, and get the dash put back together. No carpet yet, still have yet to order it.

Will be driving the truck around with mis-matched paint colours in the interior(black, dark grey, and grey.. Nothing matches correctly.) no carpet, and a messed up box. The ol' 315K km 2.5L seems to still run pretty well(fired her up today, took awhile. No fuel in the carb.).

Pictures of said work to come tomorrow.

Have yet to put the bumper on, and cowl. Oh, and one trim for the passenger tail light.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
Blitzkreig.

Yes, running the 4-piece grill until I get myself a core support, and perhaps a chrome 91 1-piece. The black one I have needs some work done to it, might use it on another S10/Blazer(when I get another one..)

Chrome tail light trim(off a wrecked blazer), shined up beauty rings and gloss black(duplicolor) spray bomb paint on rims. Oh, and put the seats back in.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
Square-body crazy

Love the hood.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #37
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiko
Love the hood.
Thanks man! I had a choice of 4 different hoods..

The one I have, 2" which I thought wouldn't of had the spine.($400.00)
2" without the spine, instead it had an inward spine($600.00)

Another 2" instead it didn't have the under-hood ribbing.(Damn near $1,000.00 for this hood.)
And a 4" cowl.($500.00)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #38
Blitzkreig.

Sorry about a picture-less update.

Installed new Wiper Motor, tried the wipers. Nothing.

Now, which left me to the 'Maybe it burned out my fuse..?' Nope, but I replaced it with a new one just in case. Tried it again, nothing.

Let me to the point in which it is either, the wiring to the motor or the switch itself. I'm going to be replacing the switch. That'll be a saturday project as it requires me to nearly rip the whole steering column apart at the top side.

If it is the wiring, well.. Guess I will re-do all of the wires that I feel need to be replaced.

Dome light doesn't work, CD player doesn't work, speakers do not work, power input doesn't work, and a few lights here and there. I have to re-do all of the wiring for the CD player, speakers, and a few other items. The dome light will have to have a piece put into it, while I believe the power input just has a frayed wire needing to be fixed.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #39
Square-body crazy

That sucks. Sounds like you have lots of fun ahead of you =P
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #40
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiko
That sucks. Sounds like you have lots of fun ahead of you =P
Plenty.. lol, wiring and that sucks. However, my switch will be in on Friday for sure.

Painted the 4-piece to flow with the front clip(will all be painted red, and it will be a 1-piece instead of a 4-piece.)

I did not prep the 4-piece, I didn't even bother with sanding it/cleaning it properly. All I did was spray it with the hose..

The second pic is to show what I see out of my windshield, at my eye level, so the cowl is at a great height.

The first, well. Dash is coming back together..

-Edit- Also, don't know if I already said this.. But I am not bagging it now. 4-link dual adjustable coil overs in the rear, adjustable coil overs in the front. I want to have this truck perform when it comes to corners. I know bags have endless amount of suspension setups also, but I don't feel like notching.:P
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #41
Blitzkreig.

Awwwhhhh yeahh!

(1-piece.. lol)

Wiper switch is in, tomorrow will be fun... Maybe.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #42
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by Blade.

Previous owner, wired in trailer light harness.

He wired it into the main light wiring harness, and to which he did not do it correctly, nor did he properly cover the wires. The wires were in-fact ONLY covered by black electrical tape, and duct-tape. It has now been fixed properly, using solder, double walled heat shrink, and black electrical tape over that.

As you can see, the trailer harness itself has, yes, house hold electrical end caps on it.
Found in 'most hacked/ugly thread'(above).

Still didn't fix my light problem. Will be replacing my flasher, and other items for the lights.

Also, did a test on the wires for the wiper motor in the engine bay, nothing is wrong with them. Tried the new switch, nothing. No movement in the wipers at all. There must be something going on behind the dash, will have to look into it.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #43

Quote: Originally Posted by Blade.

Awwwhhhh yeahh!

(1-piece.. lol)

Wiper switch is in, tomorrow will be fun... Maybe.
soo um i hate u! lol j/k lovin the 350! trucks lookin really nice man keep up the good work!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #44
Blitzkreig.

Take a wild guess on how much the 350, heads, covers, and pistons ran me.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #45

Freeeeeeee!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #46
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by phoxxxey
Freeeeeeee!!!!
That'd be an awesome price, but noo $100.00!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #47

Damn that's nice man! What's the plans for it? Any poweradders?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #48
Blitzkreig.

Well, first thing is first, have to get it machined, and have the crank turned. I'm going to look into how much a crate will cost me, as I am looking at around, estimated $2,000.00 in machining alone.

So, with that being said. I might just use this one as a spare, if a crate costs less.

Yet, what I want to do is..

Aluminum heads, 650 CFM carb. square bore, 4-barrel. long tube headers, 2.5" pipes, nothing serious really. It'll move with a stock 350, however I would like to have atleast 350HP. Well, anything more than 300.

Need a rear end, transmission(want a 6-speed if standard, 5-speed if automatic.. Really want to go with a standard though.), 4-link, coil overs(front and rear), 2" drop spindals, bigger brakes(4-wheel disc.)[how big can I go with using stock rims??], fatter rear tires, battery re-location kit, fuel regulator, rad., electric fans, MSD ignition parts, frame items(needle gun her, flap wheel her, box it in, paint it.), bushings, fuel lines, brake lines, mechanical oil gauge, mechanical fuel gauge, mechanical water gauge, mechanical speedometer, etc.

Everything else, body wise and interior are on hold.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #49

nice parts, enjoy. lol
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #50
Blitzkreig.

Quote: Originally Posted by 1986s10
nice parts, enjoy. lol
Thanks again man!

So, in these next 6-months (September - February) I will be saving and collecting all parts and items for the drivetrain. Engine, transmission, rear end, cooling, plumbing, air and fuel, ignition, and frame items.

I am hoping by May of 2012 the truck will be out, and done frame/drivetrain/steering, suspension and brakes wise. As for body, paint, and interior.. Well, that is another story on it's own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.