my pieced together s-10 that I love - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

my pieced together s-10 that I love

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

User is: Online
my pieced together s-10 that I love

So I've always come to this site for help building up my truck, but I've just recently created an account and decided to become an active member. I bought my truck when I was 17 in 2004. It was beat up, the guy claimed it had only 24k on it, but clearly I bought a lemon. Oh well. still a great, solid truck. It was a bone stock 2.2 5 speed. rubber floors full bench seat, manual everything, no options at all.

here it is

well. I loved the truck. And I love GM, and I really like factory OEM parts, so that's kind of the theme of my truck. I got the bed Rhinolined and a cover for it, GM visors, fun stuff like that. went a little custom with the clear turns and tails.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Re: my pieced together s-10 that I love

So then I went through my Highschool phase and NEEDED the Xenon body kit for it. Saved some paper, and sooner than later, it was mine. the truck actually looked really good IMO

Then I hit the junk yard a LOT. new 60/40 seats, carpet, odds and end types of trim

Then I put a "system" in it. don't hate, I don't really need a nice system, I just like even sounds. I put Polk 6.5s in the doors and 6x9s in the dash. hooked up XM and Ipod later. 10" alpine sub. nothing too fancy

Then I thought I was really cool, so I rattle canned my interior and added killer pedal covers

Here's a cool pic next to my dads Fatboy
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered abUser

User is: OffLine

Not a huge body kit fan, but your truck rocks it pretty well. Looks clean! Could use some moar low.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Then came the fun part. I absolutely wanted an extended cab. So my dad and I booked it down to FL to go to s10 ware house and pick up a frame and cab

(stock image)

the entire swap took about two months. Sorry I've never been into taking too many pictures, so there really isn't that much to go on, but you get the idea. pretty much swapped my engine/tranny/bed/fenders/etc... onto the new frame

funny story though. Forgot about lengthening the brake lines. took me about another month to track down stock brake lines

No rust

old truck

that gave way to this...

meanwhile, my dad chromed out his fatboy and got a 100th year anniversary tank/fenders for his bike. put a screaming eagle engine in it.. the hole nine yards

then he got an ultra, so now i get to cruise the fatboy
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

Then somebody at IU did this

so my truck was put on the back burner for a while.

I am by NO MEANS a body work expert. but I like doing all of the work to my truck myself. So My dad and I popped the dents and filled the lines,

I got over my body kit phase. And now I really like that it's back to it's stock stance, even though it need to be leveled badly. and I need a paint job desperately. but here's how it is as of now.

I am not going to paint it until I switch out the front clip to a Bravada or Sonoma

Also, updated interior

Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by ahelm3
Not a huge body kit fan, but your truck rocks it pretty well. Looks clean! Could use some moar low.
Thanks man, as you can see, I went a different route with the whole thing. Was never really into the lowering thing. The body kit thing was just a phase

I couldn't stand having it on there for the longest time, then when somebody hit me, I knew it was time to take it off
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
A work in progress...

I liked the color matched grille. The truck looks much better without the body kit.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by jasond
I liked the color matched grille. The truck looks much better without the body kit.
I did too. but i need to get the thing painted again. and I don't want to do that until I can find a Sonoma front end or Bravad front end. I think it looks 100x better without the kit.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
keepin it freshhh

props for the cab swap!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #10

So I took a trip to the yard today. Half price Tuesdays! picked up some goodies. biggest thing I got was a bumper and a shell (albeit a broken one) but the bumper and shell combo was only $15 and the shell looks semi-repairable. Let me know what you guys think.

all cleaned up...

somebody even decided to leave me a nice pair or Klein pliers

So basically I was seeing what if looked like if I went from this...

to this...

and I don't think I like it. The wood switch bezels have to go, so if anybody wants them, let me know. But I'm not too sure on the two-tone thing. I looked forever for that console, and the only color I found it in for a decent price was the light grey. Now I'm thinking I'm just going to color match the console to the dark graphite color. input anybody?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #11

So I took a trip to the yard today. Half price Tuesdays! picked up some goodies. biggest thing I got was a bumper and a shell (albeit a broken one) but the bumper and shell combo was only $15 and the shell looks semi-repairable. Let me know what you guys think.

all cleaned up...

somebody even decided to leave me a nice pair or Klein pliers

So basically I was seeing what if looked like if I went from this...

to this...

and I don't think I like it. The wood switch bezels have to go, so if anybody wants them, let me know. But I'm not too sure on the two-tone thing. I looked forever for that console, and the only color I found it in for a decent price was the light grey. Now I'm thinking I'm just going to color match the console to the dark graphite color. input anybody?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #12

sorry. not sure why that double posted. I'm new, give me a break.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!

thats awesome you have a parent that helps you build your "dreams". to conquer a cab/frame swap like you did just because you wanted one is insane, i love it!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by Slappy McNasty
thats awesome you have a parent that helps you build your "dreams". to conquer a cab/frame swap like you did just because you wanted one is insane, i love it!!!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. And believe me, I know how fortunate I am to have a parent that loves helping me out on his vacations, I try not to take it for granted.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
Oasis Customs

Nice truck and progress. Where you from i saw you say you go to iu?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #16

thanks man. I actually went to Purdue for my undergrad. The accident happened in an IU parking lot and whoever did it didn't leave a note or anything. bummer. but I'm originally from Crete IL which is a town West of Dyer Indiana
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
keepin it freshhh

i wouldn't repair that bumper cover
Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #18
It puts the lotion on

Quote: Originally Posted by svmcgover
Truck is turning out sweet! Needs moar low though. What purpose did the license plate serve in the back like that?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote: Originally Posted by Nitemare
i wouldn't repair that bumper cover
I have always wanted a sonoma front end. I actually found a guy about 2 hours away from me that wants to trade front ends with me. So I'm probably going to do that. but in the mean time, to kill time and what not I'm going to try to salvage the cover anyways. I'll post pictures.

And deeznutz, the license plate was because IL requires front license plates. I've always hated front license plates. so I always just kept it on hand just in case.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #20

I think it now it looks the best that it ever has . Also like the interior, the woodgrain switch panels have grown on me, i may try to find out how to make my own if i cant find them.

Also I dig the bikes
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by Debonair
I think it now it looks the best that it ever has . Also like the interior, the woodgrain switch panels have grown on me, i may try to find out how to make my own if i cant find them.

Also I dig the bikes
you want mine? I got them for free. they're just sitting around. the drivers side is a little scuffed up
Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #22

SO I've been working on the cover. It needs a lot more tlc still. but I think I'm off to a decent start

and like I said before, I am terrible at body work
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #23

So I have some NASTY rust on my passenger fender. Only thought it was superficial but man was I wrong. Here's what it looked like

When I took it off. THREE of the retainers busted out of the fender from all the rust.

Then I got this fender from a guy on craigslist. Asked $10 for it. color matches. no rust at all. it does have residue from a body kit that I have to get off still. but it looks damn good. Very pleased.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #24

ive been looking at similar body kits for my white s10 lol. i like them but i dont know why since they dont look all the right without a rollpan and i hate roll pans.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #25

Just picked up a bunch of goodies for my truck today. And I'm a couple steps closer to transforming it into a sonoma

And I cleaned the engine bay

Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
It puts the lotion on

Nice!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #27
keepin it freshhh

squeaky clean!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
layed_sdime

Sweet truck
Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #29
"Captain Insano"

nice truck brah
the 2tone would look cool without the woodgrain switches i think
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by 808Hawaiian808
nice truck brah
the 2tone would look cool without the woodgrain switches i think
Thanks I appreciate it! the wood grain is gone. I hated it.

on a side note. I'm picking up an Envoy front clip today with fogs. The guy at my local junk yard found one and said that he will trade me my front end for it. plus an extra $75. I couldn't pass it up. And it's already white. I'll post updates
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #31

So I just got a major score! Envoy front nose lights, fogs, bumper cover, grille. All in good shape. the passenger side light bracket broke, but It looks like an easy fix. still have major tweaking to do. just threw it on the front of my truck to drive home. Tomorrow I will hopefully get it looking better

Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #32

alright, so lunch break rolled around and I figured I'd take a couple of better pictures. Now you can really see how much work I have to do. after work today, I plan to buff and restore the headlights, and get them seated properly. Then I need to get a new hood in the long run and paint the cover. But I'm thrilled I got this front end. I just had to trade my old s10 front end and $75 and it was all mine.

I do have a couple of questions though if anybody could help me out.
1. The fogs don't have the ballasts in them. How do I put a bulb in them? I already have my truck wired for fogs, so it's just a matter of finding the ballast... is it the same as all gm factory fogs around that time?

2. How do I hook up the HID system. it has two massive transformers. My dad is an electrical engineer so I'm sure he'll be able to help me out, but has anyone else done this before? thanks guys!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
It puts the lotion on

Quote: Originally Posted by svmcgover
I just had to trade my old s10 front end and $75 and it was all mine.
Holy shit how'd you get that deal?? Looks good!

Edit: As far as the fogs go, I believe you just stick your factory socket and bulb in there. Don't think they used special ballasts for those fogs. Only had factory HID's for the headlights
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #34

deeznutz, so could I just pick up the sockets from any truck with fogs? also, i friended the guy at my local yard. He caught me picking up parts to convert my front end into a sonoma and told me he'd trade me all of the parts to my truck for a sonoma front end. then he asked if I wanted him to keep an eye out for anything else. I jokingly told him an envoy Well... as luck would have it, not even a week later he came up with a WHITE envoy front end
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
It puts the lotion on

Yeah those fog sockets look exactly like my bravada ones do. Shouldnt be a problem. Congrats on the awesome deal! I wish I had connections on a envoy front for that cheap!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #36

So it's about time for another lunchtime update. I swear I never understood the Facebook/Myspace thing how people are obsessed with those sites, but I think I'm getting just as bad with this site.

Anyways, I restored my headlights yesterday and fixed the passenger bracket. I still need to do some tweaking but they are 100x better. I put on the plastic shroud that goes behind the grille. and I cleaned up the bumper a little bit. and figured out the front of the bumper looks so nasty because the asshole before me used deck screws to screw a license plate into it.

So tomorrow is Saturday which means no work and tons of junkyarding! So I'll be looking for...

1. fog light sockets
2. a jimmy/noma hood
3. a bumper for my buddies full size
4. check straps for my girlfriends car

hopefully I can knock out at least a few of those.

Here's pictures

Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #37
Pewter member

Get that bumper painted. but keep going it! ADD LOTS OF LOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #38
Pewter member

Going with it*
Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #39

Quote: Originally Posted by Matt96Dime
Get that bumper painted. but keep going it! ADD LOTS OF LOW!!!!!!!!!!
I never liked the idea of dropping my truck before, but with this new front end on, I think it would look killer. I don't want to bag it, but I've been thinking of just a static drop. Any ideas as the best/ most economical route to go? something that doesn't sacrifice ride quality too much.

also, yeah. the whole truck needs a paint job badly. My cousin just got a pretty nice booth set up and I have a couple of nice guns that I'd like to try out. that will more than likely happen sometime later in the summer.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #40

So I scored two fog lights out of a grand am, and the sockets fit right into my envoy fogs, so those are all wired up and working.

But I ran into a major issue when trying to wire up my HIDs. the passenger side system needs a new ignitor. turns out from GM, that is $679 soooo... that's a no go. I'm still keeping all of the parts around so maybe if I get lucky and score another HID system. but we'll see. anyways. I ordered stock Jimmy headlights today that will be in Tuesday. if anybody has ignitors, let me know
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #41
It puts the lotion on

Man I'd ditch the factory HID's and just get a set from ddm or something. I think the oe envoy's are 4300k and you can get 6000k for under a $100. As for the drop, you can go the cheap route and get blocks for the back and springs for the front. Or the better way would be drop leafs out back, spindles up front and then if you want moar low get blocks and springs on top of it.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #42

So sort of an update... I ditched the factory HIDs got some NOS jimmy headlights and they are 100x better than my old s10 headlights. especially with the fog lights, it makes a world of difference. on a side note.... if anybody is in the market for some envoy housings and two working ballasts and one working ignitor let me know. I refinished the housings and they look pretty killer.

does anybody know why my grille is white where it should be black under the GMC logo? it looks like it was spray painted, but the grille definitely came off of an actual envoy, so I know it was originally color matched. just weird i suppose, Not a big deal cause I'll be painting the whole truck soon anyways. just peculiar.

and some future plans I have in mind... color match the mirrors (envoy style), tow hooks or billet grille inserts to look like the new denalis, red leds on the cluster, headlight panel, and hvac, paint, and hood.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #43
<ST> Petition

pm sent about envoys
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #44

Small update. a few steps closer to my GMC conversion. Scored a 2001 sonoma owners manual in the yard, along with the carrying case and even the "getting to know your truck" pamphlet.

painted the gear selector and steering wheel. I'm sold on the steering wheel, but think I'm going to rework the gear selector.

Also, does anybody know why this keeps happening? this is the second time I've replaced these buttons and it keeps doing this.

And, I also ordered all the leds for my interior, switching it out to red to mimic the new GMCs
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #45

Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #46

I'm not sure why that didn't show up with any text... but I need help!

I am looking for the rear window deflectors for the back windows. I want them to be genuine GM parts. does anybody know the part number or where I can find them? thanks!

Here's what I have...

Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #47

So I put in an OHC a while ago. one of the small ones from a blazer with a sunroof.

I got everything working on it. Temp, compass, homelink, lights (no trip) and I had plans to use the sunroof switch for either a sliding rear window or power the rear popouts with motors from a caravan or something. but I decided against it. instead, I picked up a long ohc from the junkyard the other day for 3.50. it is in great shape and it has homelink.

I had a few problems though.

1. the wiring is completely different. The main light only goes on when the door is open or when you flip the interior light switch, whereas the map lights only go on when the main light is off, and when the key is in the ignition (any of you guys that have this from the factory can you tell me if I wired it correctly)?

2. mounting the rear of the OHC was a pain. no pictures on here except for ridinlow which was a major help. thanks man!

So here's what I did...
this is for the front mount

figured out the wiring, that took a few minutes. The pic I have uploaded is NOT how I left the connections. I soldered and heatshrunk all connections. this was just the test phase, and a reference

Then I cut out a hole in the headliner to mount the rear. I tried using the plastic mount to hold it up. terrible decision because it sagged and sooner or later, the screws would have ripped right out.

(yes those are sockets for spacers)
So I bought some flat metal from ACE just like the front bracket I made and did this

much better

here's my method of holding it up while installing it

everything works

also, I want this. Saw this outside my apartment complex
Old 08-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #48

I've been trying to get a lot of little things done to my truck. I knocked out quite a few of them today.

shampooed the carpet
picked up a Pop and Lock for the tailgate from the junkyard and got a key made for it ($7)
fixed a rock chip in the windshield
finished LEDs in the dash
changed oil

and a list of things in the near future I want to get to
1. PAINT ENTIRE TRUCK
2. leather buckets
3. get a new gas door bump stop
4. envoy handles
5. get the correct style cupholder liner for my console
6. color match mirrors (envoy style)
7. fix drivers side seat recline handle (until I get leather)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #49

So I did a few things to my truck today, knocked a few things off of my list of things to do.

I installed a radar detector that was in my dad's spare van. He sold the van and gave me his old radar, and his old Ipass

I know it's majorly hacked right now, but I just wanted to see if it still worked, I plan on swinging by autozone and getting a proper fuse jumper for it, but here's how I did it (and this better not end up in the most hacked thread)
positive jumped to #3 socket (cruise control)

negative bolted onto the a-pillar after I chipped away some paint

no wires exposed

Then, I saw some guy on here do this, and I really liked it, so I put these on either side of my truck

and all of my switches were worn out, so I replaced these

with these from a j/y

also ordered some envoy handles, so I swung by the dealership and picked up a couple packs of these to replace while I have the panels off

and while I'm on the topic of everything I did today, my girlfriend kept getting on my case for all of my cycling stuff laying everywhere, so I built some shelving for everything

and lastly, question time...
does anybody have some envoy door panels or seats they want to sell me?
does anybody know if the envoy door handles were color-matched from factory?
(can you see the theme I'm doing, lol)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #50
keepin it freshhh

dude what console is that? it looks sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.