frankendime - Page 8 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

frankendime

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #351
Maybe later.

User is: OffLine
Re: frankendime

That looks GOOD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #352
WTFWBJD

Hell yeah.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #353
Vandelay Industries

Looks good man. Years ago when I did my wood floor in the s-10 I ordered my stainless strips from Mar-K. They let you order individual pieces in whatever length you need. I know you don't need it for this truck but perhaps in the future.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #354
Boozebag

That bed looks amazing!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #355
Static Addict

Bed floor looks great. Miss my 65.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #356
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!

Floor looks badass.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #357
I don't feel tardy

thanks!

got the headlights knocked out today, now the DRLs work perfectly, and so do the high and low beams

found the booster vacuum port had a crack in the plug (hydroboost now so no need) and thats what was causing the highway lack of power. fixed it and finally installed the IAT sensor. now it idles at 750 rpm (used to be 1000) and will do 70mph into a 10mph wind, before it had trouble keeping 60. holiday weekend so police out in force and I didnt get to retry the top speed but I bet it is better than before. I have a video, remember that the speedo is about 8mph off. listen to that wind!

it got too hot in the garage, like 99 with 70% humidity today, so I called it quits and will adjust the pinion and install the tag light and bed floor tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #358
Bold as Love

Damn man, that's a lot of wind resistance lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #359
I don't feel tardy

yeah the 65 has less aero than a brick, a brick doesnt have the big reverse cuts that catch wind. takes a lot of torque at highway speeds.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #360
I don't feel tardy

so... selling the truck, lots of interest and offers but none where they need to be. I think its the wheels, they are 25% of the cost of the project and as easy as it was for me to buy them its hard for other people to see the value. luckily, the shop truck vibe works well, and I think I can still realize my selling price by splitting the wheels and the truck up.
I searched high and low for some 15x7 steel wheels that take dog dish caps and have 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern, thats a hard thing to find since they only came on some middle years of b body GM. I found a ton of 15x5 and 15x6 from the 60s and 70s, but the 15x7 are hard to find. I went to a salvage and had them pull what they said were 7s from a caprice, and they ended up being 6s. found what had to be the last set in salvage today!

gonna put in the 4x4 axle with rear disc and locker

and run my buick caps

I will fix the pinion angle while I am changing the axle so it can roll super uber low, its ok at drive height but changes at full drop.

gonna shorten the driveshaft an inch too.

I have had a lot of offers around what I will expect after removing the wheels, and the rockstars will be back in the classifieds for a lower price than before since they have about 3000 miles on them now.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #361
I don't feel tardy

I thought I took more pictures today but I guess all I did was sweat and swear.

axle out finally, only took TWENTY NINE BOLTS/NUTS.

I dropped the driveshaft off to be shortened, just 1.5 inches, it was enough to squeak at full drop. I am also adding some pinion angle with some 4 degree shims and moving the lowers back about 1/2 inch. this will allow me to cruise with 30psi instead of 60.

got the rockstars off and washed.

the 7" wide steels dont fit the front, which suits me fine, the 6" fit so it will look nice and staggered with 205/75 and 235/75 rears on the 7s.

gotta get some new bolts for the upper wishbone mount, the old ones were loosening themselves. also need some axle locator bolts, the ART ones were seized and I couldnt get them loose, so I cut them off. Maybe finish up tomorrow! tires and caps too!

saw this crossing the street in front of me.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #362
I don't feel tardy

didnt get anything done today but picking up parts. found new airbar bolts and axle pin bolts, maybe stainless wont rot this time.

inland did a 4 hour turnaround on the driveshaft, shortened it 1.5 inches.

gratuitous butt shot

sold the rockstars today, so I will probably get tires on the steels tomorrow. and some RESELL RED PAINT !!1ONELEVEN for them. since red steelies are totally unique.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #363
I don't feel tardy

hmm, right or left....

RIGHT 6s for the front

cleaned up the 7s I got for the rear

tires were dry rotted at the bead, dangerous! so I got some new 235/75 for the rear and 215/70 for the front.
finished up the axle swap. the 4x4 axle has an extra jounce pad for some soft bumpstops in front of the axle pad. the ridetech mount didnt fit so I had to cut it off.

axle bolted right up

went back in with a little sweat and some grunting.

pinion angle looks swimming now.

when I took the tires in for some reason they put the white letters out. while they were switching them I replaced the left rear caliper line. I nicked it when I was cutting the ubolts to remove the rear end.

dont mind the mess. I need to clean my "shop". All Season Garage™ !!

The rear is lower now, I might turn the bumpstops out a little or leave it the way it is. so now it has rear discs and a locker rear.

after lunch I will bleed the brakes and charge the AC and go for a cruise! should have a lot more power now without the 31" rear tires and should cruise better with 215/235 instead of 255/285.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #364
Vandelay Industries

I think it looks mo-bettah with the steel wheels.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #365

^agreed, the red steelies really fit the look of the truck.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #366
I don't feel tardy

who could possibly hate red steelies?

went for a cruise, wow. rides better, has more highway power, bumps dont unsettle it, no more tramlining. speedo is only 4mph off now too. cruising in 100 degree high humidity, coolant temps never got over 200, all hail modern engines!

a few pics

ride height, better now with the shortened driveshaft

lost a hubcap, luckily it went across 4 lanes and landed on the sidewalk.

saw a 66 on the way to lunch too.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #367
I don't feel tardy

TOO HOT

I started putting the bed wood in now that the axle install is done. Got a call about the old rearend (the 65, not mine) and he ended up buying the rallies off the white blazer while he was here. so after swapping tires around, I looked like I took a shower and went inside. the temp went to 105 in the shade, so it looked like this all day, and I am unsure if I will get back out there tonight haha.

finally opened the bag of all new hardware. I was still in college when I got this kit included with a 1963 C10 I bought

we will see what happens tomorrow morning
Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #368

That looks so awesome, makes me want to do a wood bed floor.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #369
I don't feel tardy

it was easy as heck, 10/10 would do again and really, I have two other trucks that will get the same floor. same color too, apparently a gallon is a lifetime supply.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #370

It does look great. Connor94, an s10 with a wood bed would definitely be unique.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #371
Maybe later.

Looks awesome!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #372

This truck is super slick man! Looks great!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #373
Professional Insultant

I really love the new rim choice and the bed is beautiful
Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 AM   #374
I don't feel tardy

thanks! the general consensus seems to be that the red wheels are acceptable. I got the buick caps on ebay for $40, the guy described them as beyond hope but I didnt mind a couple dings and some steel wool really made them shine. the red though, well done by many others first. maybe I should have used lime green, you know, to be more original.

only got a couple bolts in, its raining here pretty good the last two days

this week I dismounted and mounted and otherwise lifted or carried about 30 wheels and tires. my back is saying "why man, just why?" sp maybe I will get back under it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:
How did you hear about us?
Enter a URL or Site name of who refered you to this site. (required. Only admins can see this)
State
Please enter your two letter state name to help other users and clubs find local users to them.(required)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.