Blazing Brat!!! - S-10 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Blazing Brat!!!

One day not long ago three little 1980's Subaru Brats found their way into my laboratory. That I had to convince UHaul that my 6 cylinder Ford Escape was equipped with a 8000lb towing package to get them to their new home, is another story! One little Black Brat from Texas is pretty good, despite 13 years setting in a hay field - it almost runs. One little Red Brat is not so lucky after spending years on flat tires in a wet area behind a falling down barn in Arkansas - radiator support, rockers, valances - pretty much gone. The third little Blue Brat is also in pretty good shape - but due to a family feud (not mine) paperwork is not included (other than a bill of sale). So it is the parts Brat. So why are we here you ask? This is the S10 Forum!

Do the math! Not so good Brat with clean tittle + good brat with bill of sale + 1996 4x4 Blazer that ended up on its roof = Blazing Brat!

Parts are so scarce for the Brat that all I am hoping to keep is the body and exterior parts - it will simplify things later if everything you can actually buy at a parts store is 1996 Blazer. The Blazer chassis (its a 2 door) will require a 3" trim. Fender flares will cure the 3" extra width and add a touch of macho. I want to keep A/C, Cruise, Dash, Console, Steering column, Leather buckets. There's a reasonable chance they can all be modified to fit. Power widows and locks, maybe not... I guess my only concern is engine bay clearance (lengthwise) - the Blazer has a 4.3 and the Subaru has a 4cyl and spare tire under there and the longest transmission I have ever seen! Not scared to cut firewall and tunnel - but don't want a radiator duct taped to the front either!

So, stay tuned - this might fun to watch. A different direction from all the antique cars and trucks on S10 frames! Oh if anyone comes across that strip of chrome trim that goes on the top of the Brat tailgate please let me know - they must blow off because none of mine has one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 04:40 PM
LOOK AT MY NIPPLES!

Re: Blazing Brat!!!

Sounds like an interesting project, to say the least. Look forward to seeing what happens. And you know we all love pics, so post some up of what you e got so far!

S-10's - because they're cheap and easy, and I'm poor and lazy

RIP Scotty 'Gimp' Oliver 6/6/84 - 5/31/16

MyTruckHasNoPantsOn!

Junkyard Gem
post #3 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 05:01 PM
needs a cheeseburger

havent seen you on here in ages Pullon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griff View Post
I looked at my asshole in the mirror today. It blew my ****in' mind!
post #4 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 PM
2.2 Extremist

I'm interested in seeing this. Always loved Brats!

They are like a miniature 4wd better version of an EL Camino. And I love ElCaminos!

2000 GMC Sonoma SLS
ECSB 2.2L Flex Fuel L43 bored 0.40, 0.20 head shave, 5-Speed, 4.10 gears, Space Blue Metallic, Graphite Int, OBX Header, straight pipe cat delete, Thrush Welded, urethane motor mounts, ZQ8 sway bars, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, ClutchMasters 9lbs flywheel

Other Rides: 09 Canyon 5.3 ZQ8, 05 Duramax, 85 Monte Carlo SS.
post #5 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 05:57 PM
needs a cheeseburger

one of my friends in high school had a brat as a woods car.man that thing was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griff View Post
I looked at my asshole in the mirror today. It blew my ****in' mind!
post #6 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Fronk-en-Steen

Awwww yeahhh.

TelAmeriCorp
post #7 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 PM
word to ya mutha

i always wondered what that car was they drove

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostizzle View Post
They like their tires the same way they like their buttholes.
post #8 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 08:49 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Send a message via AIM to 1fast4by

Subd

"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, this is not only acceptable, but mandatory."
-Jeff Cooper

Ban gun free zones!
post #9 of 127 Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 PM
2.2 Extremist

So. Much. Need.

2000 GMC Sonoma SLS
ECSB 2.2L Flex Fuel L43 bored 0.40, 0.20 head shave, 5-Speed, 4.10 gears, Space Blue Metallic, Graphite Int, OBX Header, straight pipe cat delete, Thrush Welded, urethane motor mounts, ZQ8 sway bars, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, ClutchMasters 9lbs flywheel

post #10 of 127 Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

I have photos - but it's been so long I forgot how to put them on here. Anyways I will figure it out after work today and get them up. In the mean time - thanks - its good to be back among the Chevys!

post #11 of 127 Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

BRAT - "Bi-Drive Recreational All-Terrain Transporter" made in the 80's by Subaru and based on their even less known Leone. Kind of looks like a 3/4 scale El Camino. Has 13" 4x140 wheels - which only fit a very small number of vehicles. Mine has the EA81 motor - about 72hp when new. The wheelbase is 96.7 by 64. Normal front wheel drive through a transaxle you can pull a lever and engage 4x4 high and low range. Subaru says it was designed as a "all road" vehicle - they never intended it would be used as a rock crawler or extreme terrain. Several hundred thousand were sold in the US and they are still popular in small circles - but the lack of parts support has sent many to the crusher. I might add they are also very light weight, easy to bend and mangle and the unibody chassis doesn't support the wide range of mods we like to do on truck based chassis. Which is why I decided to eliminate pretty much all but the Brat skin. I can't even find a windshield gasket to remove it for painting and dash work. Am trying to soak the old one in silicone a few weeks - but that is risky business - could end up cutting the top off the donor cause I don't want to risk messing up the gasket!

Here are some photos of the Brat herd and donor....

post #12 of 127 Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM
It's a 4. something

Garage

Sounds like an interesting project. I have one question though, what happened to the last S10 project hot-rod thing that is in your signature? Did it ever get finished?

Edit: never mind. I just saw the update on the other thread.

97 S10 RCSB 4.8 V8, 4L60E swap. (Speed)
99 Blazer ZR2 4.3 auto. (Mud/Winter)
2000 Trailblazer edition, 2wd, graphite interior.
13 Ford Fusion Titanium (Wife's DD)
co-owner of S10s Unlimited Inc.
post #13 of 127 Old 02-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Boozebag

Hmmmm, don't know if you've seen the price of these in excellent condition lately....
I saw one on Ebay for 7k
FTW!!!

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck) 3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '83 S10, 327, TH 350, shorty (13.00 best) Sold
7) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
8) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.
post #14 of 127 Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Yes I know they can bring a decent price. But those are far better than mine which have all set abandoned in fields for years. The black one will be kept as a Brat. Although I sold the wheels today for just under what the blazer cost! Since the red one in the shop is the one going on the Chevy chassis I had extra wheels. Have them sandblasted ready for repaint, but that talk goes on a different forum. I only mention because it all is connected.

Have pictures of the red one that will expain better why all this is not some kind of tragic tale for Brat lovers. I am actually saving one most people would not look twice at. Same goes for the Blazer, not killing it, saving it! It's certainly about to loose a lot of weight and nobody can call it top heavy either!

I would put a mild lift kit if you know somebody with one collecting dust.
post #15 of 127 Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Here is the field brat in question. Everything looks better in these tiny photos - which has resulted in more than one disappointment after a long drive to buy the deal of the century! If you look close you will see the seats in the back are extremely sun rotted, there are small dents everywhere, rockers and front/rear valances mashed from idiots uses them as jacking points and rusted through from the wet field. All exterior rubber is shot - including T-top seals. Leaking battery and long term wet field - right fender and most of radiator support rusted away. I did not show it but both front and rear bumpers are beat up to the point there are no undented areas! The interior was trash - with that horrible rat piss smell you may know if you do this stuff. Blahh!!! And the dash was totally torn apart by PO trying to locate a short that was popping a fuse.

The good - floors solid - dents are small dent puller size - no rust through on major body panels or floors - all there but the tailgate deck lid - glass is good. Rolled good enough to get it home - it cost $400.

The right half of the radiator support was completely rusted away - the headlights and grill was all that was holding it together!

I cut out ALL the corrosion!

And welded in "new" from the donor

So now the front looks like this:

No more rust but I still had to knock the dents out on the trucks left front side and pound out the mashed up front valance (filler) panel.

Now I am considering how to make the radiator support removable - which would allow 4.3L engine removal or upgrade to a V8 at a later date without lifting the motor five feet in the air. I might try to use the Blazer support - to early to know as I have not had the time to measure what I have to work with!

Today - I have to work on getting the Goldwing back together. Its a small shop - two torn down Goldwings, and a Brat on jack stands - and I can't move around without stepping on parts! The Goldwing was a "quickie" to finance the Brat which I knew would be months and spring is around the corner when buyers motorcycle juices kick in!

post #16 of 127 Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 AM
Maybe later.

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tytotheler92

Very cool!

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 6 speed

1985 S10 Blazer 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackinsteve View Post
3 doors for 1 and a half whores
Quote:
Originally Posted by svmcgover View Post
He only bought one wheel. So every picture we see is going to be a pic where either the rear or front is conveniently out of frame.

post #17 of 127 Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Look for a Astro van radiator support install kit. The Astro van needed the rad support cut out to remove the engine and they made a bolt in kit to reinstall it.
post #18 of 127 Old 02-15-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Thanks for that info on radiator support. On a hunch I dug through the scrap pile I save up for my neighbor to sell and found the top of the rad support I cut out. By some stroke of luck it is not corroded and I cut it long enough to use as a bolt in. Sometimes my best work is dumb luck!
post #19 of 127 Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM
In charge of the big door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnolzTQ1zXI

There is a place a couple miles from my house that has a bunch of brats sitting by the road that don't look too bad. One of them has some 6 bolt Nissan truck wheels and lift of some sort on it. I don't know how many they actually have because I haven't been by it in a while.

Q: How many people can you fit in one Honda?
A: Well, the Bible said that all 12 disciples were in one Accord.

>-----<My Build thread>-----<
post #20 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

The six bolt wheels are a mod where two of the wheel studs are removed and then drill four new holes. Simple and effective.

Here is the radiator support - red original, blue donor. The red had three headlights, the blue four. Luckily I have the whole assembly....

post #21 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

I did some rough measurements. Already knew the chassis was three of four inches long. The engine bay is wide enough for the 4.3 but freaky firewall with spare tire holder will have to be trimmed to ensure back of motor clearance. There is no room for Blazer brake booster and certainly not ABS monstrosity - I have deleted that stuff before and will re-read the threads when it is time. No room for the massive Blazer heater/AC either. And the Blazer dash is 2.5 inches too wide.

Also the Blazer has column shift - noticed the shift indicator was not working when I started it. Four wheel high works, for wheel low does not. Motor weak and smoky - plugs oil soaked - hoping from being upside down for a few hours - but it runs and moves!

The motor is different than the S10 I worked on a couple years ago. It has a forward facing air intake opening instead of on top like the S10. Also the intake looks like aluminum pipes - have not checked the motor numbers to see if it is a 96 Blazer motor or some other year dropped in there. Really can't wait to get out there and see what I have. Am thinking about actually getting the Blazer running up to speed before removing the body - not the way I would usually do this but might be easier then I know any problems are related to the swap, not preexisting.

On the bright side, the donor Brat has A/C. Nice small Brat sized A/C. I don't want to build another one that I have to suffer in when it is 100 degrees! I read something once about deleting or modifying the Blazer oil cooler....I don't remember...

post #22 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Fronk-en-Steen

Got a pic of the motor in the Blazer? Is it possible to use part or parts of the Blazers firewall? Here's a thread on the cooler delete along with some color commentary lol....
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/o...delete-489287/

TelAmeriCorp
post #23 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Will get some motor photos - pretty dirty under the hood which really annoys me. I would whole lot rather have a red plastic bag for a tail light lens than a dirty motor bay...

Thanks for the link - that's the one I remember. I did that on the Extreme - ran it 25K with no issues. I did switch over to Mobile One synth oil as well. Not sure of the differences 4wd, 2wd. The Fiero, Miata, and CJ5 builds between the Chevys has so contaminated my brain I am practically starting from scratch - again. So much to learn!!!

post #24 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM
"It was all a Dream"

I used to love riding in the seats in the back. Can't wait to see how this turns out
post #25 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM
"It was all a Dream"

Grandfather had one in the 80's
post #26 of 127 Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Vandelay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho-sid View Post
I used to love riding in the seats in the back. Can't wait to see how this turns out
the chicken tax seats
post #27 of 127 Old 02-17-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

I'm sure I have stated frequently I am not a S10 guru like some of you guys - just a fair to middling old school grease monkey. So that would explain my confusion about identifying the motor in the donor Blazer. I hope I said it was 1995 - that's on the tail lights.

After looking at plenty of photos online I now think I have a plain Jane Vortec motor. Not sure if that is good or bad - assume it could be both. It threw me off when the air intake opening was on front instead of on top like the Extreme I worked on. Also didn't help that the Vortec Plastic (I assume) emblem is missing off the top. There is a note written in yellow paint - timing gear retarded one tooth 3/5/95. Why that would be is a mystery to me. Anyways, here is a photo.

Oh, I could not see the VIN on the dash, the numbers in the glove box are pretty faded - it's obvious it sat in weather uncovered for some time with rain coming right on the dash through the broken windshield. Kind of amazing it would even run. But I am cool with that - I certainly did not pay for a ready to drive rig and I did not expect to get one!

post #28 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

I am so looking forward to the day this thread gets focused on S10 Blazer running gear! I spent my off work time reassembling a 1982 Goldwing and working on a 1982 Brat and THINKING about the real project at hand - getting the Brat body on the Subaru Chassis.

There was a common thread in the thread - hooked up the batt in the Goldwing and some wires smoked - hooked up the batt in the Brat and some wires smoked! Replaced wires in Goldwing (shorted on frame) and steering column in Brat (rats ate the Brat wire???). And now neither battery will hold a charge overnight - sigh - I think my battery charger has gone psycho and is killing them - .

Was off yesterday - that meant I could work harder! Got the subie wheels painted before they could rust again. Used bare metal primer and Wimbledon white paint left over from the Jeep project. The quart of white was from Restoration Paint - hope they are not a site sponsor. The paint did not store well at all compared to the Kustom primer that mixed in five minutes, and the reason it was left over was because it did not match the gallon I ordered from them - giving me a mismatched hood, an attitude, and a vow never to buy Restoration Shop paint again.

Here are the wheels - sandblasted, primered with DTM two part epoxy primer and color sprayed with two part urethane. I MIGHT clear coat them to add durability - but I think it is supposed to rain today.

post #29 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohoopty View Post
havent seen you on here in ages Pullon
I never really stopped doing stuff - just didn't own a Chevy so I didn't hang over here in Chevy waters. Built a couple guitars, a Gazebo with chili pepper lights, learned to smoke briskets, learned to make jerky, bought and sold a couple bass boats and now the circle is complete - a Chevy is in the house!

post #30 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajohns34 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnolzTQ1zXI

There is a place a couple miles from my house that has a bunch of brats sitting by the road that don't look too bad. One of them has some 6 bolt Nissan truck wheels and lift of some sort on it. I don't know how many they actually have because I haven't been by it in a while.

Thanks for the video post - inspirational seeing a Brat actually move that is not in an earthquake or on a trailer!

If you have time one day I would be very greatful if you would asked those Brat people if they would part with one of the chrome trim pieces that goes on top of the tail gate - 3 Brats all three missing!

post #31 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho-sid View Post
Grandfather had one in the 80's
Yes - I saw them occasionally on the roads. I thought they were too expensive and worthless as a truck. And Subaru was about in the same category as Yugo and Fiat at that time. Of course they worked hard and have earned a reputation as a good quality car maker - but at the time - we thought they were import junk for dumb rich people. It was Ford or Chevy or nothing!

I now admit that those people driving reliable fuel efficient 4wd Subaru trucks 30 years ago were ahead of their time - I was the one that was misguided! Hats off to your grandfather!

post #32 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Fronk-en-Steen

What kind of guitars are you in to?

TelAmeriCorp
post #33 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
What kind of guitars are you in to?
Ok, this is going to sound strange maybe be I haven't played guitar much since my early 20's.
I just like guitars! I traded a John Lennon Ovation for a new with tags American Stratocastor. It's still in the case. Traded here and there and ended up with a 94 Taylor 410e, with missing Electronica and a cool matching very road worn case. Been a lot more. Saw a model of a guitar in a tiki bar. Decided it would be cool if it were real so I made one out of oak, has custom wound pickups. There's a mother I made based on the Strat. It's mahongony. Instead of solid wood I left the outside shape and cut out all the inner wood except for the center below the strings. It looks like a weird acoustic but it has Pizco pickup under the bridge. The the zombie, found one of those 80 dollar specials in the trash. Spent a month stapling the cracked body, adding skull controls and crossbones fret mark. Ground a hole through the pick guard for extensive wear. Of course I sanded most of the paint off and then gave it a mirror finish... Well, you asked, so that's the short answer!
post #34 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 09:16 PM
I don't feel tardy

I liked your chicken rat idea, and I like subaru brats even more. my brother had a 78 4x4 GL wagon (a brat without a bed haha) and I loved the funky styling of that stupid little thing.

I am in for the long haul on this one

my 41 chevy S10 swap 4.3 auto Fenixhttp://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/19...on-s10-789361/
my embarrassing 2.2l 5 spd 1965 fullsize S10w Ride http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/frankendime-458726/
my 49 chevy s10 swap 4.3 auto http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/49.../#post10592042
post #35 of 127 Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 PM

Garage

The motor posted in the picture is a L35 CPI. These came in 1992-1995 S-Series Blazers and S-10s along with Astro Vans. They are very similar to the early TBI 4.3 but have a better flowing head, a little hotter cam (it isn't by much), and multi-port injections from a single injector under the intake manifold.

These can be interchanged with the TBI motors if the distributor and intake is swapped, BUT they will not interchange with the later vortec engines because the bolt pattern for the intake is different. (FYI, there will be a Crank Trigger Sensor on the front of the motor that will not be used if swapped into a TBI truck.) I know all of this because when the engine went down in my truck last summer, I bought one of these and had the motor swapped. My truck is a TBI 4.3. From what I understand, the spider injector on these engines are prone to failure. A quick search on the engine should lead you to the spider injector that solves this issue.

I hope this helps.
post #36 of 127 Old 02-21-2016, 12:31 AM
Fronk-en-Steen

That's cool, man. You should post some pics of your guitars.

TelAmeriCorp
post #37 of 127 Old 02-21-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I liked your chicken rat idea, and I like subaru brats even more. my brother had a 78 4x4 GL wagon (a brat without a bed haha) and I loved the funky styling of that stupid little thing.

I am in for the long haul on this one
You can do a rat s10 search and find some close examples although I have not seen one with Peterbuilt headlights or wheel wells inside the extended cab. I've thought about it more and this time I would find a 30's firewall and meld that to the front of the S10 cab to give the front the right shape. We can get used to seeing the suspension exposed instead of a straight axle so that is not an issue like people thought it would be. I would also use a 4 door Blazer 4x4 chassis - they are so cheap now. There is a limited lifespan on all these S10 bodies and parts - if you are old enough you remember all the project related to VW bugs. They finally got scarce and parts dried up. So you guys are really in the Golden Age of S10 projects. I have no ideas on what future crafters will do with the unibody stuff went we run out of donors with frames!
post #38 of 127 Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
That's cool, man. You should post some pics of your guitars.

OK - I don't really have a lot of guitar photos - kind of my hobby within my hobbies area - like the old Goldwings.

The Zombie - trash salvage and a Tele I forgot about.

The Tiki guitar..

Making them...

And the 82 Goldwing that is tore down (along with it's twin sister) far too long and going back together now - because I need the room!

And now I will go back on topic!

post #39 of 127 Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Fronk-en-Steen

Very cool. I'm tempted to try my hand at luthier one of these days.

TelAmeriCorp
post #40 of 127 Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Very cool. I'm tempted to try my hand at luthier one of these days.
One of these days...is today! People find the time to do what they really want to do. It is easier to start with electrics - look on craigs - buy the cheapest most pathetic thing you can find and make it into something cool. Don't forget to think out of the box! A guitar lamp, guitar bookcase ends, a chair made of MIM strats, guitar coffee table - or even a guitar that is a guitar! There is also the whole line of cigar box guitars and banjos - it goes on and on - not to mention winding your own pickups for your current beast.

post #41 of 127 Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Back on topic! I mounted and balanced the tires on the newly painted rims and stuck them on the black Brat which will be their new home. Did not install the NOS center caps, beauty rings, or new lug nuts with let the paint settle in a week.

Finally sat on a bucket next to black. Did some engine bay looking over. Fixed a couple sketchy wires. Put in a new battery. Swapped out alternator - a belt (which will have to be replaced). Syphoned the gas tank. OMG - old dirty water filled gas tastes even worse than the ethanol gas! Blew out the fuel lines, again, this time with 150 (my max) psi. First I disconnected the external fuel pump and filters. Put a bottle of dry gas and five gallons of non ethanol gas in the tank - poured a little in the carb and she fired right up for three seconds. More gas in the carb - ran three seconds. Been here done that - not killing the battery or starter.

Crawled in the dirt, took the line off from the tank - it was dry. Tried blowing air through, no go. Tried blowing air into the tank - no go, although I did have a moment of excitement when a full quart splashed back in my face from the pressurized tank. Blah, still tastes horrible.

OK - I have to pull the tank! Dang. But this might be why she was parked more than ten years ago. I saw a jumper wire from the fuse box to the pump.... I don't want to lay in the dirt and pull the tank. So I syphoned the gas I just put in - blah, again. And noted it now smelled like old tank gas. So just syphoning the old gas is not good enough (future reference). Anyways the 1952 8N tractor out back seems to do fine with that stuff.

If I don't want to lay in the dirt - I gotta free up the shop. And since I need to pull the tank from red Brat might as well do that, build a body dolly to move the body around because I will want the Blazer in there when I tear it down anyways....

So I pulled the rear driveline components and the exhaust. Leaving a few bits of the front suspension and the engine support. I'll get that next.

Once it's clear underneath I'll build the dolly out of 4x4 and some heavy duty casters and roll it out of the way. Then I can do black Brat. It is the control - if I need to see how something works I can look at that one - leaving it stock. Once black Brat is happy it goes out to live in the yard and be a parts fetcher for a while. And finally - the Blazer can move to front and center!

I will probably tackle the Goldwing after work on the week days to get it out of my way. I am at the initial start up, adjustment, then all is left is the 200 pounds of Goldwing skin. Then it and it's parts sister go to market to finance getting the 4.3 back to specs.

Which after a lot of thought is my goal. I don't need any hot rodding, custom programing, etc. I think it will be great if I can get the mechanicals back to what they were when it was a couple of years old. So that is the target - a 20K motor, trans, and driveline.

post #42 of 127 Old 02-22-2016, 08:40 PM
2.2 Extremist

Nice Goldwing. My boss has an all white 81 Goldwing.

It was his wife's father's bike that he restored. Gorgeous bikes.

2000 GMC Sonoma SLS

post #43 of 127 Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Siphoned more really old gas from the red Brat tank. Blah!!! All lines to and from the tank are clear. Dropped the tank and about 30 pounds of dried mud that was on top. Started cleaning it up. The red Brat is now about 75 percent ready for the trial fit, where I find out if this is brilliance or madness. Did some measurements to make the dolly to move the body around. Only need one more 4x4.

"No Sir! Leave those filthy clothes on the back deck!" I think the neighbors are used to seeing me out there in underwear and socks...and a hat!
post #44 of 127 Old 02-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Fronk-en-Steen

TelAmeriCorp
post #45 of 127 Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Boozebag

Ever seen one of these?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...56321338431561
I can't copy the pic and post it for some reason.
I had one of these that had 20K original miles on it. Of course - divorce time - and I lost it. Had to sell it to satisfy the split. FCK.

I also had an FF1. Remember those? I think it had a whole 45 HP.
https://www.google.com/search?q=suba...vzAMPSd2_oM%3A
Now I go to the track and see some of the STIs running 10 second 1320s...

Funny about your guitars, nice work.

I'll post some pix of a strat knock off that I did a major rehab on. All gold hardware, Grover tuners, Calig pickups, brass nut, cobalt strings, etc.

I've always wanted to redo a 78 Goldy with Weber down drafts, cams, header and a big bore kit. Stripped down to the very basics - almost like a bobber crossed with a Café bike.

Nice projects...

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck) 3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '83 S10, 327, TH 350, shorty (13.00 best) Sold
7) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
8) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.
post #46 of 127 Old 02-23-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Ever seen one of these?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...56321338431561
I can't copy the pic and post it for some reason.
I had one of these that had 20K original miles on it. Of course - divorce time - and I lost it. Had to sell it to satisfy the split. FCK.

I also had an FF1. Remember those? I think it had a whole 45 HP.
https://www.google.com/search?q=suba...vzAMPSd2_oM%3A
Now I go to the track and see some of the STIs running 10 second 1320s...

Funny about your guitars, nice work.

I'll post some pix of a strat knock off that I did a major rehab on. All gold hardware, Grover tuners, Calig pickups, brass nut, cobalt strings, etc.

I've always wanted to redo a 78 Goldy with Weber down drafts, cams, header and a big bore kit. Stripped down to the very basics - almost like a bobber crossed with a Café bike.

Nice projects...

I don't recall seeing either of these on the road. It looks like it has a lot of Italian influence in the design. I know you remember the first Honda cars we had on the road over here - not much better!

Gas prices are down dragging motorcycle prices down. Not a bad time to snatch up a toy project. I've always thought one of the old 4 cyl motors would be a great match for an inline jet pump in a skinny water boat. Some of them had 10K redline. Experimented down that line 10 or 12 years ago - ended up going back to the basics - a tunnel hull strip built trout boat that sits on the trailer backwards and is powered by a simple 9.9. Still use it for trout and crappie fishing! The GL 1100 Interstate in my photo is actually the parts bike! I restored it a couple of years ago but the engine was getting tired. To get a decent engine I bought another one, same year, same color even more loaded with stuff. So I tore them both down to the skeleton and am keeping the best of both. Not really worth much - but I should end up with a pretty neat blast from the past and give the thing another few years of glory. I have not decided to keep it or let er go to a new home. That answer will have a lot to do with the condition of the Blazer motor and trans as right now I would rather have the wind blowing through my hair through some Brat T-Tops than eating bugs on an old wing.

post #47 of 127 Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Pulled the differential, shocks and related from red Brat. Also removed crossmember and related from the front. Getting close to fixing to need to start making the body dolly. Sat on a bucket some, next to the heater. I like that old beat up Brat, kind of worn and pathetic...like me!

Was playing through the project, pondering the bumps. Elephant in the room is fixed engine location on the blazer because it is 4wd. The wheels MUST line up with the wheel openings. If not I won't waste my time with something I won't like. I am willing to cut the firewall and/or tunnel. Already decided on ditching the interior, including the dash. Never mind if that alone costs two months.

The blazer gas door is on the left, it's on the right on the red Brat. Can I rotate the blazer tank 180 or do I saw out the gas door on the Brat and move it.

Not so much worried about wiring. You do that one at a time. The heater and a/c are issues. I need both and a functioning defroster. The blazer unit looks too big for the smaller Brat. Red Brat never had A/C even though it is a GL. Black Brat and Blue Brat do. So there are options.

Wheels and tires are so important. Right now I am leaning towards 92 Z28 five spoke 15's with Goodyear Wranglers. The originals are 13's so I don't see the need to do giant tires, not planning more off road than County gravel roads.

Also don't see the need to do performance stuff, except I will upgrade where I have to replace parts.

Plan is to fabricate with worn and ugly and when it all fits and runs teardown and make it decent. I've never done it that way before, so this is a new way for me!
post #48 of 127 Old 02-25-2016, 10:22 AM
In charge of the big door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullon View Post
Thanks for the video post - inspirational seeing a Brat actually move that is not in an earthquake or on a trailer!

If you have time one day I would be very greatful if you would asked those Brat people if they would part with one of the chrome trim pieces that goes on top of the tail gate - 3 Brats all three missing!
I would be afraid to go to that house. It is like deliverance country over there.

Q: How many people can you fit in one Honda?
A: Well, the Bible said that all 12 disciples were in one Accord.

>-----<My Build thread>-----<
post #49 of 127 Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajohns34 View Post
I would be afraid to go to that house. It is like deliverance country over there.
Ha, ha, ha!!! Just holler from the yard, "Hey ya'll, how you doing?" Gun shots, into your truck - better leave soon. Gun shots in the air - just checking you out. If they holler back get the @#$$ off my property you son of a @#$$! They are willing to talk!
post #50 of 127 Old 02-28-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Dude - Really?

I modified the sawhorses I used last year working on a CJ5. Invested in for more HF solid tire dollies. The Brat body is quite a bit heavier than the Jeep. I stacked up a bunch of 4x4 blocks on the floor jack and just as I was reaching altitude the whole thing came tumbling down. I can report there are no gravity anomalies in my shop.

So, I stopped being lazy and lifted it with the eng hoist - from the spare tire mount in the front and the hitch in the back. Got her up to a good working height.

Next, I had to clean the shop floor and pick up tools. You would not believe how many dirtdobber nest fell off that thing when I was using the air gun to pull the driveline. Got the shop cleaned up. Blew out the dust then power-washed the floor.

First thing next day was to turn the body 180 degrees so I could back the Blazer chassis under it with the engine installed. This is supposed to be down and dirty until I find out I can make it happen. Of course I will was the Blazer chassis before rolling it under there.

Pulled the tank from the black Brat. You have to lower the differential to get the tank out. It is a pain. Blew out the lines again. Cleaned the replacement tank. Replace a couple dry rotted vent line. Got everything hooked up and turned the key. A good amount of fuel came out of the engine bay fuel line into a coffee can. Yes!

Hooked up the line and fired the beast up. It sputtered and coughed and shook and spewed smoke but stayed running. I got in - brakes to the floor - about 3/4" of clutch. Dang - why can't I get lucky with these!

No road trip. So I let it run awhile. After about 20 minutes it just died. Deader than a door nail! Alternator is not alternating or another link in that chain is not functioning. The tach works. Tail light out light works. Low brake fluid light works. Emergency brake light on - but it was not engaged. No gauges work.

So I will have to go through each system and get it up to par. That's what happens with these old cars - I am sure it did not all break one day. Differed maintenance. Now I have to make up all that lost ground....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page