Bigmileage - rebuild - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Bigmileage - rebuild

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Bigmileage - rebuild

I bought this truck back when i was 16, i'm now 28, drove it through highschool and college. It attended Paragon ZR2.com meets for about 5 years steady and saw a ton of off-road and on-road duty. I've graduated college, established a good career and decided it was time to build the truck the way I'd always wanted it.

I'm late to the game, but I started ripping it down about 2.5 years ago, the day i started tearing it apart it had 398,000 miles on it, original engine and trans, never touched either. During college i installed a Rancho 3" lift that I bought from Diversified, luckily it was found in storage, long discontinued years ago. It had 4.56s years, 33s and the typical stuff. All the sheetmetal I changed over the years, everything but the cab. My plan was to simply change the cab, as I progress through the thread you'll see it took a really sharp turn from that.

Here's what it looked like when I started..

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

Re: Bigmileage - rebuild

Here were the progress pics, i'll upload pics to the internet and progress through the build. My brother and I stripped it the best we could in the driveway and then loaded it on his trailer and brought it down to a lift to pull the body off. The results after 400k miles.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

What I did was buy a 94 doner truck that had been hit in the front corner for $500. Pulled the cabs on both during the same weekend. I used the purple cab for the replacement.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

Here's a brief list of what's been done and a cool picture until i get more uploaded. I do all the work myself, metal fab to paint and body.

Exterior:
Painted House of Kolor Black
New cab, reused the rest of the body parts
Shaved fuel door finger hole, recessed billet door, painted black
one piece front bumper. I bought a 98 up bumper, cut the ends off, sectioned the ends and welded them onto my 94 bumper for a smooth one piece bumper. Cut it open for the winch and braced the rear of it.
Blazer grill and clear headlights
shaved gate handle, painted rear script
Filled cab body lines
Unlimited cowl hood
Repaired my modded rear bumper, shaved hole, letters, recessed exhaust pipes, rear backup lights recessed into the bumper and a homemade bumper bar.
Homemade prerunner and winch mount
Homemade lower airdam using SS parts
Diversified LS1ZR2 flares, hacked up the body prior to paint

Chassis:
Sandblasted at home, painted it with Eastwood 2k ceramic chassis black
Homemade rear shock bar
Homemade rear tank cross brace
Homemade front shock hoops
Rancho 3" lift
ZM6 spring packs in the rear and ZM6 front T-bars

Drivetrain:
GM 8.5 ZR2 rear with 5.13s with GM rear disc conversion
GM 8.25 front diff with 5.13s and custom CV shafts using CK fullsize parts. Blazer knuckles and twin piston calipers
Homemade front driveshaft
Stock rear shaft
Bilstein 5150 shocks (6 total)
Homemade stainless brake and fuel lines

Engine:
Stock bottom end
Comp Cam 212/218 @ .480 with 112LSA ground 2* advanced
Comp chain
Comp adjustable rockers with conversion studs
LS6 Valve springs
Manley Valves (stock size)
I ported the heads, i've had really good luck with 3800s so i figured i'd give it a try. Backcut the valves, performance seat job, milled and the exhaust and intakes ported. The bowls I just slightly polished.
Ported throttle body
Ported upper and lower intakes
March billet front drive setup, all the pulleys
140 amp polished alternator
Chrome compressor wrap
Built transmission with 2600 stall
JBAs with a homemade catback using Sweet thunder chambers and magnaflow hotrod kit, magnaflow tips, cats and x-pipe.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #5

I like the zq8 wheels with the mudding tires on them
Old 05-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Needs mo POWA!

looks sweet! I'm excited to see progress
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
nateMEEZY

nice project man. good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Electrical Mod

Looks sweet!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #9

Uploaded some pics of the frame during prime and paint, sorry for the crappy quality, not sure what i was doing. Also some shots of the 8.2 front and the brackets I made for mounting it, a lot of guys on zr2.com always wondered about this. As far as i know, this is the second conversion done, Mike Copeland who worked for GM was the only other guy to successfully complete it. The lower bracket had to be completely removed and a custom one made, as you can see. The tube mount bracket had to be removed and a custom one made to match the S10/Rancho bracket.

Eastwood 2k ceramic with their epoxy primer, this stuff was about 70 bucks a quart, but nothing is a durable as this stuff.

8.2 next to the 7.25

Trial fitting it, i had to reblast the frame, after it sat for a week.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
No S-series no Cry.

holy shit. this is gonna be t1tties. keep up the good work.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #11

Here are so more pics, morning update I guess, sorting through the pictures i've taken over the last year or so

Built tranny and engine, specs like i listed early, ported tb, ported upper and lower intakes, worked heads, custom cam and some other small tricks. Full 2.25" exhaust all the way back with two 24" sweet thunders, i'm installing some sweet thunder resonators this weekend to calm it down somemore, the guys at sweet thunder are awesome to work with, highly recommend.

Lower intake, transmission, transfer case and front diff were blasted and painted with Eastwood alumablast to look factory new. Driveshaft was taped up and painted with just an aluminum paint, kept the factory decals. Sand blasted and repainted the shocks, Bilstein sent me out some new decals for them too.

All new brake and fuel lines home bent, what a pain.

Here is the front drive pulleys all polished march parts, tuff stuff polished waterpump, tuff stuff polished 140amp alternator and mr. gasket ac compressor cover. Billet specialties cap covers and brake cover. The other shiney stuff i just polished and coated with Eastwood diamond clear. Engine was painted flat black and the valve covers/intake painted House of Kolor black to match the body.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
4 bangin and love it

Cpi fts!-
Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
Its that dam ADD!

I didnt know those came with a CPI? or did you custom fit that and I missed it? nice build man
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Electrical Mod

Are you talking about s10's? S10's and sonoma's could have the CPI, but it wasn't a common option. Mainly 4x4's got them, and then they were mostly automatic transmissions, only the sonoma's could have a manual transmission with a CPI. If it was 2wd, mainly the SS's were the only 2wd CPI pickups. Although it was available with a long bed or extended cab 2wd.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #15

Thanks guy and yup it's a CPI, it was a very early 94 built in late 93. I had my dad print me off build sheets for it before GM started deleting the older year files from the system. The truck had every option but keyless entry and a CD player.

Here are some pics of the TB when i was porting it, most of the LS1, L67 ones I do i'll pull the blades and knife edge them, cut the screws down and sometimes if the owner wants polish the throttle body walls. Personally, given this is only a 4.3 and it's 4wd i didn't push the process. If you've ever see a stock CPI tb you'll know how much i actually removed.

The first pic is during the cut and the lower one is how I ended up leaving it. I should have thrown up a LS1 tb i did to show how it can be polished.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #16

Here are some pics of the day I put the body back on, because i didn't feel like trailering it I used my backhoe and a LVL to pick the cab and rolled the chassis under. I actually did all my painting in the garage, basically a homemade paint booth. Some fans in the garage doors and a huge piece of 6 mil poly to separate the areas. I'd wet the floor when spraying.

The paint is House of Kolor black, the darkest black i could find, spies has a blue black and a dark black that they claim is also about the blackest you can get. Previously I had the truck painted with spies hecker and it was a black pearl. I really just wanted a dark dark black this time around though. What HOK recommended was their black with two different clears. So i sprayed it with their sealer primer, three coats of black and UC35 clear. Let it dry overnight, wet sanded it and then sprayed it with UCF35. Let dry overnight and then wetsanded and buffed it. A ton of work but the depth of illusion is amazing. I didn't bother wetsanding the lower portion of the backcab, as you can see.

I sprayed the interior with a "Lizardskin" type of material. I found a homemade version on a hotrod forum, stuff works awesome and I bought it at Lowes in a 5 gallon bucket.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Electrical Mod

That thing looks great! I love how high it is. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
It's a 4. something

User is: Online

That rear bumper is effing sweet! Can't wait to see more progress.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #19

Thanks guys

Here are some pics i snapped last week, i'll get more once I get the interior done. It's dirty from sitting in the garage while being worked on, so bare with me.

Front bumper, using a 98 up bumper i cut the ends off, sectioned about 1" out of the center and welded them up to my 94 front bar. Blazer grille with the ugly grill bars cut out and headlights, clear bumpers and a SS airdam that i sectioned the center out of and glassed it closed. The sides of teh airdam were also cut back and glassed to clear the tires. Winch is in the center

Diversified wheel flares, i'll get some more pictures up.

Here is the rear bumper, shaved the words, welded the tow hole, cut out inserts for the tips, and some rear lights worked into the center. Using round steel bar I formed a edge around the tip cuts and lights. Magnaflow tips on the exhaust.

The tailgate was shaved, and against what most will say, i liked the look of the stock decals. I had a local friend make me decals and i sprayed them on. Still needs more buffing but you get the idea. Stock tails that I tinted, can't tell from the flash.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Electrical Mod

Like the bumpers, definitely different, but still pretty cool.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #21

Thanks man.

Here are some more exterior pics. Diversified wheel flares side bars that i made out of 1.5" tubing. Tinted tails, tinted third brake light, Unlimited 2-1/2" hood. The tires are my old coopers on ZQ8s, i've got a set of MTRs on order, 33s again. I was going to step it up to a 35, probably would fit, but the performance with the 5.13 should be amazing with the 33. I've had these ZQ8s for about 8 years now, they have rock rash and such so not sure if i'm going to send them out and get beadlock conversions or buy some new ones from GM. I can still get the GMPP kit for around $550 which is a deal still. I'll get some more pics in a few days.

And the massive wheel openings, I may polish them to, not sure, i've done a ton of aluminum polishing on my Regal, so this is a viable option also.

Just cause I think this is a badass picture, here's my FWD Regal engine, polished Eaton GenV blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.