Bean's New Dip {PROJECT ZR2} - Page 4 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Bean's New Dip {PROJECT ZR2}

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #151

User is: OffLine
Re: Bean's New Dip {PROJECT ZR2}

Quote:
some day....but if so i'm getting one it will be rated to pull more than enough weight...i think the rule is 1.5x the weight of the vehicle...but IMO that doesnt seem like enough when its buried in mud. a winch will help pull other vehicles out, but in that area there is not too many trees.... on land there isnt a mud hole deep enough to be truly shit outta luck compared to when you are next to the water. so for now a winch is not a priority.

Get a land anchor, like they used on Top Gear.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #152
WIP

Quote: Originally Posted by beandip
so a few days ago i undercoated the side of the frame. i power washed the side to remove loose GM undercoating then sprayed the 3M stuff.

2 cans did this and part of the cab.

investment $20

Where did you get that undercoating and whats it called?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #153

you quoted it with the pics. he said 3m stuff. if i had to guess its 3m rubber under coating spray.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #154
Tech Mod

^ ding! yes 3M rubberized undercoating. best stuff ever.

anyways a day or so ago i did some work on it....MUCH needed work.

so i took the bed off to power wash and remove all the old dirt that has been collecting for years. i wanted to inspect the backhalf as well....check for rust, possible problems...etc. anyways i decided to take care of that rusty shackle....well, see if i can press the bolt out with my ball joint press. might as well try since the bed is out of the way. i tried soaking it in PB blaster and damn near destroyed the bushings/shackle trying to remove the seized bolts....alas, i gave up .

makes life super easy.

and there it is. oh and check out the fuel neck...oops, thats half of the gas cap i thought i forgot something thankfully it pops back together.

broke the 2 bolts holding the filler neck...its ok though, my sonoma's broke too. the plastic clip on the bottom is all it needs to hold it, and it doesnt rattle. i gave it a quick turn on purpose (to loosen) and they snapped off easily. on the sonoma the metal stripped out the plastic ear and i ended up having to get vice grips to hold it...pain in the ass.

yeah, cant do it with the bed on lol. after a while the bolt started slowly moving out I had to then hammer the end of the press a bit, then impact more. i could have easily gotten a breaker bar but i dont want to bend my cheap harbor freight press....and BTW it has paid for itself already.

fought me the whole way, had to use a cheap china socket to push it the rest of the way. its good to have spare cheap tools sometimes .

these were so bad you can easily twist them like crazy by hand. i cant imagine how much they flexed when we went mudding. but i said i wouldnt haul any load or trailer until i get those shackles fixed. ended up replacing both. the donor truck had zero rust, in fact the shackles took but 2 minutes per side or less to remove. my guess is the shackle rusted from mud being caked on it for so long and after getting wet/dry it rotted it out. i threw grease into the shackle bushing holes and put a bolt though it with the impact spinning at full speed to work that grease in . i shouldnt have a problem with them being seized for a long long time.

meanwhile at my house....lol. buddy comes over and parks right in my ditch. i bet my neighbors LOVE me. i know they loved that ringing from the impact and the press being against the exhaust haha. Rust inspection wasnt bad, i knocked a bit of scale rust off, that way it slows it down instead of water having an area to stand in. i found one small hole though the side of the bed support up front in the middle. dime sized. nothing major so that's good. the rest of the bed was solid thankfully. later on i plan on undercoating the entire backhalf and doing some chassis saver on the bed supports, then undercoat. that is a project for another day of course...not in a rush. i've already accomplished more on this truck in the short 2 months i had it than my sonoma which took YEARS before i did anything worth while.

so after being successful changing out those shackles we started building my buddy a bumper, he just wants one since he doesn't have one at all..... i may build one too, just depends on how much i like his.

we used my truck as a template and followed the stock bumper angles.

then transferred. we are still in the development phase but once its made we are going to get it cut on the plasma. cant wait!

ordered and installed that steering stabilizer/dampener. no install pics since its not really special and hard to see....also im lazy and didnt want to take off both skid plates. i know you cant tell if one is installed or not daily driving, but it does feel that the steering wheel has less of a jerk when going up a driveway at an angle, like less feedback than before.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #155

I just read through your post. Nice work. It is motivating. I'm still looking for a ZR2. Now I know some things to look for. Good thread!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #156
Getting back to Boosting

Man this thread is motivating.. I had to replace those same jnut clips for my front shocks..got them at oreilys. Not sure if they are the same size but 8x1.25 was the thread size..good job on the build looks nice..in 98 I was driving to the dealer to get a zr2 and before I left I pulled up a picture of one for my buddy and ended up seeing a SS and changed my mind instantly..so I convinced him to get a zr2 so it felt like I was still getting one too..haha always loved them.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #157
Trust Me

Hey man, I know it's late, but you say you used the spray on undercoating stuff?

Does it hold up & stick, or do you find yourself re-applying it? What brand do you use? The blazer needs a solid couple coats, and I don't want to get the wrong, or some cheap-o stuff.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #158
Solid Axle MOD

Quote: Originally Posted by The Griff
Hey man, I know it's late, but you say you used the spray on undercoating stuff?

Does it hold up & stick, or do you find yourself re-applying it? What brand do you use? The blazer needs a solid couple coats, and I don't want to get the wrong, or some cheap-o stuff.
3M is the stuff he used, i cant remember the PN.

this is the one I used, had no issues at the carwash sunday
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #159
Trust Me

I might grab acouple cans and give it a shot. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #160
Tech Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by The Griff

yes, the one sean quoted is it, but they also changed the can design...AGAIN lol. as long as it says 3M Rubberized Undercoating thats the stuff. runs $10 a can and 1 can per fenderwell covers nicely.

i recommend wearing gloves and long sleeves when using it. the spray stains your skin kinda and its hard to get off. over spray is minimal, it just settles since its heavy (usually settles on your arm) yet i dont recommend spraying in windy weather. the stuff itself is VERY sticky. it sticks to damn near anything as long as the surface is clean and dry. i recommend giving whatever you spray a good scrub with soap and water, like dawn dish soap. then let it FULLY dry even in the cracks of the part. durability i give it a 7, because you can "scratch" it with your finger nail but to remove it requires something sharp. in the event you scratch though it will never peel up, just what is scratched is removed, even if you use a power washer to try and get "under" the paint, well its not going to happen. it doesnt flake, every speck and particle of that paint acts like its own, so if a chip occurs from a rock it wont spread out.

so far its held up GREAT on my sonoma after i think 3 years? you can go point blank with a power washer from a car wash and it wont affect it. dirt does settle in the tiny holes in the texture, but a gentle power wash will make it look like new.

that being said, whatever you are spraying, you better make sure you want it sprayed because removing it would suck. if you get overspray on your paint, immediately wipe it off and a few wipes should take care of that no problem. so dont freak out if you get some on your paint.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #161

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I bought my 2001 Sonoma Zr2 last Saturday. You inspire me. They are sought after here in SC. Good ones run from 8,000 to 9,500. I looked for a 3 or 4 months and I got my 2001 with 109,500 miles for 6,500. It has a nice straight body, very very minimal rust,and a clean interior. I changed oil today to be on the safe side. I'm going to wash and wax tomorrow and take some pictures.

Keep your good reports coming. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #162
Wocka Wocka

I demand an update!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #163

hes probably too busy out mudding and tearing it up to suppress all the time he spent babying the sonama. lol
Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #164
Tech Mod

haha yeah really, actually its kinda true.... except for the tearing it up part....still going "easy" on it.

anyways i was going home last week and a random rock hit my windshield from a U-haul style truck....must have hit just right as it wasnt loud inside the truck, and I've played with a windshield before, it should have taken more than that to crack it.

so i turned around and went to the glass shop, $40 and its fixed...happy that its almost invisible.

also ended up rotating and changing the oil. going to rotate on every oil change.

buddy in his crew cab went out to the trail with us...when i saw this i knew it would just be a matter of time.

stock height and street tires i might add.

an den? yeah, he got stuck....BAD. doesnt look bad but he is really high centered. you can put your hand under his tires...

it took an older chevy with a 10K lb winch, and a F350 crew cab, diesel as an anchor and they were STILL both sliding...the mud gave up its grip after a little bit of this. luckily these guys passed by.

Continuing.... lol no clue how he made it that far. i can feel my skid plate touch, so being a stock crew cab i KNOW he would be scraping the bottom.

here is the video from that event.

cleanup was fun, got home asap and washed the underside 95% clean, then sported the mud for a day or two.

on a side note, should i cut off that square vacuum cleaning attachment of a exhaust tip?

Then we went again the next week. Found this wonderful pit.

really wasnt bad at all, the mud under the water was solid. my receiver hitch hangs down a bit.. suppose i should take it off, or not.

Video from that weekend. had too much fun so not much video going on.

Then my buddy got stuck, this time we were more prepared (shovel and walkie talkies for communication), anyways i hear on the radio that he found this awesome spot and we just gotta see it. i told my buddy, bet $5 his ass got stuck...sure enough . the area was basically overflow from the lake and the extensive rain we have been getting. there was grass/weeds there so he drove though it, sank down, but suddenly the ground got dry and that bump stopped him, so the back end was stuck, front wasnt. luckily it was super easy to pull him out.

after that we went to the spot where we first got stuck up to the frame. well, that spot is under water now but the spot next to it where there was nice deep mud was still there. so we had some fun.

Picked up some rustolium midnight black metallic for my grille and fender flares....though i am doing some durability testing right now before even considering painting the flares...the grill i probably will since it wouldn't cost too much to just replace if all else fails...flares on the other hand are a bit pricy/rare.

sported it for a day, washed it monday.

and final update.....ordered this crap. my rear shocks are completely shot, and they are aftermarket crap, so going with bilstein all the way around. front ones are the stock bilsteins but might as well replace them. Going to add that I've got this weird vibration, passenger seat shakes, and in the side view mirror it appears as the bed is shaking but when i look out the back window its not....so basically the cab/center of the truck is vibrating, it did this with the old set of tires when i bought it, and the new set, and i also rotated and its still there...so i can rule out tires, its gotta be mechanical related.

i checked U joints by taking off the back and see if it might be seized, nope, even the front one is fine. so i have deduced that the motor mounts are causing it. happens around 63-70, i can go 75 and it will stop, if i slow down to 63-70 it sometimes wont shake.....or in the early mornings it wont, but sometimes it will...very random. so cant be a tire. i'm thinking shot motor mounts, which i know the driver's side separated, and maybe a tranny mount.

/update
Old 03-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #165
We Bend Stainless

1. Very Nice
2. Keep the tip
3. Ditch the Hitch

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #166
Tech Mod

Alright if I keep the tip I need to sand it since the chrome is brown/dull stained.

Dont know if I want to remove the receiver when wheeling though. I need to get a hook or a D ring in place of the ball. Its got that pin lock so I'd have to cut it off.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #167
Wocka Wocka

Thanks for the update! Do you have any other plans for the truck?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #168
Tech Mod

Well, right now i want to fix that vibration, new shocks, and the tranny cooler will help in the summer time for sure.

i am thinking about getting a brush guard, not sure if i want to build a bumper just yet, of course lights up front. i'm already itching to do a 1.5" torsion bar crank and 2" shackles, but not sure....oh and add zr5 wheels to that.

basically right now the goal is dependable daily. once that is achieved i will start dumping money into other things....ugh, just the thought of putting more money into this, then looking at my sonoma, i can see it wants some money too

some zr5s would look sweet, and it keeps the same backspacing so no cutting!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #169
Maybe later.

ZR5s!!!

That would make the truck imo. haha. A Clean set of ZR5s i mean.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #170

an up date of not mudding? lol you wheel this thing more then the guys in the sfa section lol i know how it is, it sucks having too vehicles that you want to dump money in both and you have to chose between them.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #171
Tech Mod

I'll take that as a compliment sas10

but yes i do have "non" mudding boring updates.

4/5/2012
so, the parts i ordered from synergy came in after a week of waiting....still a no show on the shocks

but oh boy a transmission cooler and motor mounts at first i was happy to get them, but reluctant to install them (but they were easy, zr2 ftw!)

Trans cooler in place, put wire loom in "wear" areas. wire loom was removed from a power steering hose from a junker, nice thick plastic.

lines. tricky to tighten hose clamps tight...but try not to strip them out at the same time.

Started on the mounts.

I believe that might be the problem?

removed

new mounts are sexy. BOTH mounts were separated.

finished up both sides. took a little over an hour to do. the zr2 frame mount points are super easy compared to 2wd or regular 4x4.

Gave them a GOOD test in 2WD low. you can see the axle wrap pretty bad lol. figured a good 1 mph tire spin on dry concrete would be a good torque test. the fan blades are 3/8" or so from the fan shroud and with the hood up i can see that these mounts kept that motor in its place! so next time i pull my buddy out of a mud hole i wont have to super baby it due to crappy mounts.

then today still no shocks. probably be monday when they come in. they were kinda back ordered when i ordered them though synergy. i decided to tackle something that has been on my mind a few days. i had this idea of tapping into the factory cassette tape harness and using the audio inputs as an aux jack. i figured the signal wasnt amped since that would cost GM money. apparently i was right and it was already a write up on zr2 usa. so i bought a cassette tape and a 3.5 MM audio jack.

tied into the left and right channels, and the ground for the audio output. soldered and heat shrinked.

Drilled a small hole for the jack and installed the screw. now just connect a 3.5 mm headphone jack into it and to your ipod or whatever to listen. the cassette tape just lets the stock HU go into tape player mode, doesnt matter what the tape player does, fast forward, rewind, or change direction, as long as its activated your music wont skip a beat since its bypassing the tape module.

wiring diagram for anyone who wants to do this. very easy, took 10 minutes.

that sums up my boring update. but really happy to have the mounts done, that was on my "really need to do" list. so far i'm loving the trans cooler. seems to help out tremendously as you can really feel the fluid difference. i would like to install a trans temp gauge for shits n giggles but need to look into that.

any suggestions as to what i should do next?

so far i plan on getting
  1. weather tech floor mats
  2. extang tonneau cover (same as the noma)
  3. various recovery items
long term, or maybe sooner than planned are zr5 wheels, or possibly aftermarket depending on if i rub or not. i need to swap wheels with my buddy. he has 31" MT tires on stock 2wd swirls. if i dont have to trim the bumper flare i have some rims in mind.

also need suggestions....has anyone used a high lift jack as a winch? i know it will be slow compared to a actual winch, but i cant justify getting a winch as i know damn well it will be useless if i have to pull myself backwards instead of forwards... a quality high lift jack seems to be a very versatile option since we could use it on any vehicle within our group. most of the time we just need 5' pull in one direction to be un-stuck.
any opinions? wheel attachment looks nice, but other than that its going to be mostly for winching.

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/x-treme.html

still thinking about that bubba rope, cant decide if the 28K breaking strength is enough....52K seems too much....but not sure. also 20 ft vs 30 ft is a big debate as well
Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #172
Slowly but eventually

My dad may be glad to know about this mod, since he doesn't want to get an aftermarket HU.

Nice updates.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #173

I'll take that as a compliment sas10

buddy. he has 31" MT tires on stock 2wd swirls. if i dont have to trim the bumper flare i have some rims in mind.

also need suggestions....has anyone used a high lift jack as a winch? i know it will be slow compared to a actual winch, but i cant justify getting a winch as i know damn well it will be useless if i have to pull myself backwards instead of forwards... a quality high lift jack seems to be a very versatile option since we could use it on any vehicle within our group. most of the time we just need 5' pull in one direction to be un-stuck.
any opinions? wheel attachment looks nice, but other than that its going to be mostly for winching.
you go right ahead and take that compliment, if you go 2wd wheels you gotta get newer zq8's fo sho! and winching with a high lift would be a bitch, although i have never done it. there almost just a paint in the ass to jack with.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #174
LSX LUV Owner

could of gotten the shocks cheaper here

http://eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model...tein&SubChar=Q
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #175
Tech Mod

^ ah, yeah its a little cheaper. kinda wish i new that. oh well, i figured might as well order from one place. i'll take note of that site for next time.

Quote: Originally Posted by sas10
you go right ahead and take that compliment, if you go 2wd wheels you gotta get newer zq8's fo sho! and winching with a high lift would be a bitch, although i have never done it. there almost just a paint in the ass to jack with.
i cant get zq8's because they are 16" and of course i have fresh 15" tires

but from the videos it seems that Hi-Lift is the company to go with. technically winching would be as fast as lifting a vehicle. if we had to winch 20' that would suck, but in our case most of the time we just get stuck because we high center on the diff or skid plate. so 48" of pull and that should be good. not to mention we could lift from the wheels with that strap they have and that would allow us to put branches or whatever under the wheel to keep the diff/skid plate from being high centered.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #176

I have 48" and 60" hi-lift jacks. Go with the 60" if you plan on "winching" with it. I also have a http://www.wyeth-scott.com/ more power puller. You have a very nice truck. Keep the updates coming.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #177

i cant get zq8's because they are 16" and of course i have fresh 15" tires

but from the videos it seems that Hi-Lift is the company to go with. technically winching would be as fast as lifting a vehicle. if we had to winch 20' that would suck, but in our case most of the time we just get stuck because we high center on the diff or skid plate. so 48" of pull and that should be good. not to mention we could lift from the wheels with that strap they have and that would allow us to put branches or whatever under the wheel to keep the diff/skid plate from being high centered.
well that does suck, didnt think that through. and for short pulls, your prubably right, it wont be bad.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #178
Molon Labe

Damn, I did not know you could do all that stuff with a high lift jack! Makes since though, only thing I have really used one for was for jacking up the rear axle of a tractor. Just beware of the Double click...

...OF DEATH
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #179
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

So wait... you're looking for 15" 2wd wheels?

I have a set of swirlies I could sell ya...
Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #180

Quote: Originally Posted by layinbody31
So wait... you're looking for 15" 2wd wheels?

I have a set of swirlies I could sell ya...
no no no..... hes just getting new tires so he CAN get newer zq8's lol
Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #181
Tech Mod

haha i dont really want 2wd wheels because i dont want to cut the flares any....as to why i havent gotten rims just yet....

Quote: Originally Posted by sas10
well that does suck, didnt think that through. and for short pulls, your prubably right, it wont be bad.
and i have a few ideas to make winching "not" suck as much.

and double click stew? i've used one before a long time ago, but it was a cheapo...and for pulling fence posts.

so, i decided to put the heat shields back on. i modded the stock ones to fit.

have some goodies on the way too
Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #182
Electrical Mod

pics or there really aren't any "goodies".
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #183
Tech Mod

Its currently shipping
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #184

waiting to see......
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #185
Molon Labe

If you move the handle too far one way while jacking both of the pins will release with a double click sound and the jack will drop.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #186
Tech Mod

Hmm I watched all the safety videos on hi-jacks' site but didn't see that being mentioned.

Maybe with cheaper jacks? this one is suppose to be the "Flag ship" of jacks. Thanks for the warning though. I'll give it a good review/Test when I order one.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #187
Molon Labe

I'm not sure how old the on my grandad has, but if the handle is up all the way, it does release both pins. Its nice because then you can just set the jack right where you want to start jacking though
Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #188

they have a switch to make them free or flip the switch and its solid ready to jack. they wont go free while jacking unless its less then 50 or 60 lbs on the jack.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #189
Tech Mod

^ THIS! actually on my jack its like 10 lb.

YES!!!! new goodies

first off Hi-Lift's packing is PISS POOR!!

But good thing its all cast iron so UPS has to really **** up to damage it.

That top clamp mount is crazy beefy from what i expected.

so, here was my "idea" on making winching with this thing better. first it involved drilling out the lock on the receiver hitch. bought another one just like it with a key

I started my fab work on making a receiver hitch to accept one end of the jack. that way only 1 chain is needed and prevent the jack from twisting with the chain. i tested out its "clamping" ability and WOW. since the jack cant adjust, if you need to clamp 6" but the jack can only lock at 5 3/4" well then something is bending lol. my only complaint is that 5 1/2" is the minimum you can clamp together. Sure it was awkward getting it clamped, but worked like a charm, nice hold.

So i came up with this. 2x2 1/8" square tubing that i had scrap, and 5/8" solid rod for a pin.

mounts like so.

and i did weld around the hole, i wish i kept more material since its a bit thin.....oh well, if it breaks i will make a new one out of 3/16" as what the receiver hitches are made out of. suppose this one is a prototype i didnt get a chance to test out the winching ability yet...suppose i will tomorrow.

the second box that came in? shocks

The rears were SHOT!

did the distributor rotor phase mod too. IMO its worth it.

here is the before. Notice the big gap the spark has to jump.

and the after, a much greater reduction in spark travel.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #190
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Wow... I never realized that the ZR2s had the Passenger Rear shock facing forward like that. Always thought every S10 had both rear shocks facing rearward.

And with the distributor mod... is there a write up on it somewhere? Are you just bending the end of the metal arm upward slightly to close the gap?

And I assume you only cut a hole in yours to illustrate the mod, right?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #191
Electrical Mod

There's a thread in the 4.3 section called Distributor Phasing or along those lines.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #192
Needs mo POWA!

im gonna have to go check out that phasing, thanks for that!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #193
No longer a pizza tech.

Quote: Originally Posted by layinbody31
Wow... I never realized that the ZR2s had the Passenger Rear shock facing forward like that. Always thought every S10 had both rear shocks facing rearward.

And with the distributor mod... is there a write up on it somewhere? Are you just bending the end of the metal arm upward slightly to close the gap?

And I assume you only cut a hole in yours to illustrate the mod, right?
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/d...s-work-489642/
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #194
We Bend Stainless

3.5mm mod is sick
Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #195
Tech Mod

thanks man. it was a sticky on zr2usa and i basically copied it 100%. but had the idea before seeing the thread....seeing it did assure me it would work

so anyways, neglecting my project thread again....well my sonoma's thread is this Z is moving WAYYYYYYYY faster than the sonoma. so i bring you guys updates!!!

4/13/2012
i ended up getting the wheel attachment. works great! should help out tremendously if the diff gets buried in mud. would make putting sticks/rocks under the tires much easier.

just meh on this part lol.

8000 miles on these tires and i only wore away 1/32" of tread. that is pretty damn impressive for mud tires! especially how everyone was saying it was the wrong type of tire to get for 70-100 miles a day driving. 3000 mile tire rotations and pressure checks weekly.

4/22/2012
so, moving on our car club (vertically challenged) was helping setting up a show here in town, biggest in years. well while my sonoma was all nice and clean in the garage so i brought the z. seen this huge dirt pile and i just had to try and drive up it! receiver hitch ruined my fun

i swear there is a ying/yang balance between these trucks one clean, one dirty.

so with all that being over, the sonoma went back into storage, aka being a garage ordainment. i decided to scope out the trails to see how deep some of these mud holes are...it has been quite a while since it rained so everything was dry so it was the perfect time to do so. tell you what, getting almost high centered when the mud was dry is scarier. i still managed to have fun though, flexing

a boxed frame makes a HUGE difference. if it were my sonoma the bed would be off by 3/4". it already flexes a ton pulling into my driveway.

4/28/2012
i debaged it. took me a long time to do this, mostly because i forgot how shitty getting this glue off is

once that was completed i washed/waxed and gave it a bit of a detail job.

last week this came in.... love this cover so much that i bought the same for the zr2.

dust storm blew in, there goes the detail work.

so, one of my rims were missing a center cap ^^^ i was always planning to get a new one but i ended up not standing it anymore. personally i really dislike these wheels, i would rather prefer the zr2 wheels or the zr5s, even normal 4x4 wheels...but not these. being me, i had to do something about it.....

Pro Comp 152 street locks. $95 each from summit, so not too bad on the pricing.

Center caps were out of stock....so they will arrive in a few days.

Instant aggressive look. says "**** your Prius! oh nom nom gas"

5/3/2012
so yesterday my center caps came in put them on!!!! and......well i got a size too small there is 3.18" and 3.25" well i had a choice, do all the hassle/work sending these back....or make them work. i decided to make them work.

the problem is they dont sit perfectly centered. to fix this i used a technique that i used to center my subwoofer voice coil when i rebuilt it. i used 2 pieces of cardboard, and a layer of tape for a snug fit around the hub/cap

simply slide cardboard (very tight fit) over the center cap, push though wheel hub, bolt wheel, remove cardboard. or you can slide the cardboard on when the wheel cap is still loose. i just dont want the center cap to wobble/shake on the highway.

gap looks like this when not centered/touched. not very much.

cardboard sleeve makes it perfect!

now my buddy cant say "hey was that your truck i saw at so-n-so's place?"

so yeah, been busy lately spending too much money on it. i need to hold off for a bit. sorry to combine all these updates in one huge post. but i forget to update it when i do stuff worth noting. sure has come a long way since i bought it.

/fin update

suggestions welcome.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #196

Looks great. I love the wheels. Might get some when i get the cash. just picked up a 2000 zr2 blaze today.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #197
SCR3W3D & CHOPP3D

wheels look really good on there man looks a lot meaner. i seen your buddy selling his blazer wish i had it lol
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #198

Instant aggressive look. says "**** your Prius! oh nom nom gas"
lol! wheels look good, back spacing i perfect.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #199
Tech Mod

Yup 4.5" bs.

Apparently stock swirl rims are 4" bs because I test fitted my buddies with 31x10.5 tires and they rubbed the flarette bad when turning, these rims don't. Another reason why I hesitated getting wheels. I had to decide what to do if the tires rub.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #200

Man it looks sick dude! See you have been very busy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.