Bean's New Dip {PROJECT ZR2} - Page 25 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Bean's New Dip {PROJECT ZR2}

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #1201
Tech Mod

User is: OffLine
Re: Bean's New Dip {PROJECT ZR2}

hmm, got any pics? and what brand do you have? Really as long as i get equal or better performance out of LED i would be happy. another plus is the durability and wont crack if you simply lean on them
Old 10-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #1202
Professional Insultant

I've been looking at LED light bars, the prices seem to vary a lot between brands, but I noticed just about all of them use Cree branded LEDs, Cree makes various sizes and outputs so if you see 2 bars with the same LEDs inside it'd just be up to the case design to determine how well the light will work.

I saw some of the light bars list the cree part number they used.

If I recall I saw that Moonshiners and Rigid were using the same LEDs but rigid was double the price.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #1203
Tech Mod

i looked at moonshiners, but they didnt have a curved led bar besides the 50"
Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #1204
s-series #2?

I went with a cheap ebay one. If it's not enough light, you can get more than double the # of LEDs with ebay as opposed to the brand name ones.
Which I guarentee will be more light overall.
I'm sure quality/reliability suffers some, but so far I haven't had any issues.
But being on my roof and set back and inset on my roof basket it's pretty well protected.

it came packaged pretty well too

This is how i mounted it

and comparison pics to the headlights (relayed with 10ga)

also these are cell phone pics so exposure etc are not held constant
and this is before i spent time aiming it. I think it's pointed a touch downwards in these pics.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #1205
Tech Mod

Good deal, I didnt go with an ebay brand, but as long as i get somewhat the same output. When i had it on spots it would be pretty ridiculous, but shown below is the combo. throws a ton of light on the sides that isnt visible with the pic. I'm pretty sure its the same way with led bar pics as the camera does not pic up as good as the eye of course.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #1206
Ho-Ho-Neigh-Neigh!!

So.... I'm sure these are strictly "off road use only" correct? I have a not oft used 2 lane blacktop that's deer laden that I take the kids home on, and man that would sure do the trick
Old 10-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #1207
Tech Mod

I use it on the road all the time. just so long as i dont see any headlights within a few miles or if anybody is in front of me. but around here there is a lot of country roads and blacktop with nobody on it.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #1208
Tech Mod

another "slight" update. I will find out how it looks like tonight. hopefully it wont be a "downgrade" from my lightforce lights. but from internet pics it may be close, or at least not as far throw....but hopefully worth the compromise.

I got real tired of having to be so careful around my lightforce lights. they stuck out 3" past the bumper and easily crack the housings if you lightly lean on or bump into them. so far i broke 3 housings @ $75 each. so after discovering a crack on this lens, i said screw it, enough is enough! I want a more durable light. what is the point of having a 4x4 bumper if you cant push an obstacle out of the way without worrying about 4x4 lights? Not to mention the lightforce lights blocked a TON of airflow from my radiator being 6.5" and flat. it probably pushed all the air around the grille and had no airflow because after installing the lightforce i noticed my e-fan would come on down the highway....

So i went with a 40" curved light from superbrightleds.com I've done business with them for a long time, and they have a similar torture test to Rigid's. not that means anything but at least i know they are not super knockoff. lifetime warranty too.

Really its the only reputable place i found that had a 40" curved bar. I was super tempted to run a roof mounted setup, but that would mean fabbing up mounts (which i am more than capable of) but of course means drilling into the roof/pillar. and after all that, i dont know if the light will shake side to side with the steel mount.....well enough rambling, pics!

Untitled by bean4dip, on Flickr

FINALLY behind the bumper . i had to trim the chevy emblem slightly so i can push it back far enough with some adjustment.
by bean4dip, on Flickr

by bean4dip, on Flickr

by bean4dip, on Flickr
Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #1209
Molon Labe

I like it better than the Light Force Lights.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #1210

Looks good dude!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #1211
s-series #2?

just cut out the grill and corner lights and inset it all the way flush with the top of the grill
Old 10-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #1212
Tech Mod

Would be nice but its too tall, I would have to butcher the chrome grille strip and not to mention cut the turn signals in half. Buddy already suggested a bumper flush mount up front. But that is way too much work and not to mention would make my recovery points useless. The look is starting to grow on me. Roof mount would be pimp, but maybe someday that would be an option. For now its home is safe behind the bumper.

I got the first look at the performance this thing can dish out. All I can say is I'm very happy with the output and spread. Output is way brighter than my lightforce with greater spread and distance. Not to mention it lights up right in front of the truck despite being aimed down range. It's so bright it literally drowns out my silver stars with relay mod. The rock solid mount is a huge plus. I will post up the pics later from my decent camera.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #1213
Professional Insultant

Nothing wrong with how it is mounted up front, looks good.

I was thinking about getting rid of my roll bar, but I like my roof lights, and I would just run some square tubing from the frame up between cab and bed and around the rear window.

I wouldn't drill holes in my cab, I'll probably keep the roll bar and mount a 40-50'' flat LED bar up there and a 10-12 curved LED bar on the front.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #1214

that light bar is awesome.

From what I gathered and seen online is that you can use the rough country 07-13 Silverado mounts and bend them a bit to fix onto a s10. The brackets mount in the door jams
Old 10-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #1215
Tech Mod

I snapped some pics a few minutes ago.

Low beam silverstar ultras + relay mod.

S7302801 by bean4dip, on Flickr

Exposure is the same, but light bar turned on. The next pic you may think it's aimed too far down and not high enough. i assure you its not angled down and the main spot beam is aimed as far down the road as i can. the intense light by the truck is just from the flood.
S7302802 by bean4dip, on Flickr

Roof shot of the light spread. of course the camera does no justice on how it really looks. The uphill road part is clearly visible in person. Visible enough to tell if an obstacle was on the road.
S7302807 by bean4dip, on Flickr

You can see the wide spot beam, but also the flood going all around that. its really impressive to see such a mass amount of lighting.
by bean4dip, on Flickr

The flood lighting is real nice and easily illuminates obstacles above you and a fair amount to the sides. Driving through the wildlife refuge here it was easy to spot buffalo and cows grazing on the side.
S7302813 by bean4dip, on Flickr

What i was surprised by was how uniform the light throw is. I was so used to 2 spots and a slight flood from my old 4x4 lights. Either way, i am glad i was wrong about led bars vs incandescent lighting. every pic i've seen looked too overexposed but now i see how it truly is. As far as "spot" goes i am sure incandescent lights can reach further when used in a spot configuration, but for overall flood and spot, man you really cant beat LED. I should have bought one years ago, but back then they didnt have a curved style, so its good i waited i suppose.

Had to mod the factory mounts somewhat, I still need to cut and round off the tops that isnt being used, but then again its not hurting anything. i'm just super happy i have a rock solid mount for it and dont have to worry about "bumping" my light if i walk too close to the truck.... We had a bit of rain today after i got done installing it too.

by bean4dip,

Hope y'all enjoyed the pics.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #1216
Professional Insultant

^ light output looks great

I wonder how well the headlights work, mine are toast so I was thinking about trying them.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #1217
Tech Mod

No clue, but those look to be the cree mt-g2 LED. I have one in a fenix flashlight that floods pretty nice. If anything it would be like HIDs i would expect.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #1218
Maybe later.

User is: Online

^They're a bit better then HIDs from what I've seen, but last longer and are more reliable. Worth it imo.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #1219
Professional Insultant

From what I've looked at quality HIDs are about 2000 lumens, and those LEDs are 1800 lumens, but the final output depends on the case you use. I think putting the LEDs into the stock halogen cases will still be a bit better than halogen- but probably not as good as HID is a good case. (like OEM BMW not eBay) If you look at the new BMW LED lights the cases they use look a lot like HID cases. The light pattern of LED is much more precise than HID or halogen so you can usually go brighter without blinding other drivers.

Those LEDs also use a fan to keep cool so you might have to modify the core support to fit them and when the fans burn/clog up the LEDs follow.

After hauling the trailer I really need LED or relay mod, the trailer was sucking so much power the headlights were pretty much useless.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #1220
s-series #2?

are all the reflectors in the curved housing the "spot" type reflectors?
the curved housing looks so much cooler than the flat kind I got...
Glad you're happy with the output.

not sure about your brand lights, but i have heard of the ebay light mounts being made of pot metal, which basically means it can snap in half at any point. with your metal work skills, I'd recommend just welding on some tabs directly to the bumper.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #1221
Tech Mod

When I drilled the mounts they had nice long shavings from the drill bit. But they are indeed cast aluminum.

Yes all the reflectors are the spot style.

Untitled by bean4dip, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.