86' s15 ext cab v8 corner carver, 56k beware - Page 11 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

86' s15 ext cab v8 corner carver, 56k beware

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #501

Re: 86' s15 ext cab v8 corner carver, 56k beware

Ever make any head way on this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #502

User is: OffLine

+1, Update?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #503
9" strait pipes...

nothing since the last time ive posted. it hasnt been forgotten, i just havnt had the time. i have enough parts to get the drive line basically running, i just need time! all you guys with your dam brake parts, and ive had a few jobs for the miata people to do too. when im not spending my free time machining, ive been getting the miata ready for the season which is now upon us. i should be making some headway over the next few months... but then again, i plan on turboing the miata this summer too.

i have all the material to make or remake the motor mounts, then i need to make a trans crossmember, i already ahve the tubing and plate for that as well. shorten driveshaft, run plumbing and wiring and it should move under its own power.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #504

get on it haha Good build. I like the attn to detail. Not many of us left doing that. I stole your rotisserie idea lol Works great!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #505
WTFWBJD

Yeah! Get to work! lol

I might be getting a Miata for the woman. If the deal goes through and I have any questions about anything I'll be hitting you up.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #506
9" strait pipes...

thanks jeepers.

mo what year and price range were you looking at? and please tell me she drive a stick
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #507
B4U Task Force

That's what you get for doing outstanding work Sean...lol
Old 03-02-2015, 03:27 AM   #508
Dichotomy In One

Is "massaging" the cab to run the exhaust the last part your not looking forward too?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #509
9" strait pipes...

Quote: Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit
That's what you get for doing outstanding work Sean...lol
thanks rick

and now im going to be a show off. this is my latest

too much work, i sublet the work to a cnc shop in phoenix

i did these myself, 100 of them....

i have 5 race teams running my parts in their race miatas, one in australia, one in england, cali, east coast

Quote: Originally Posted by Blazed5spd
Is "massaging" the cab to run the exhaust the last part your not looking forward too?
im hoping i wont have to do that any more than its already been done with the motor mounts im going to make/modify
Old 03-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #510
s-series #2?

pro tip* jack your prices up. same profit, less parts
Old 03-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #511
WTFWBJD

Quote: Originally Posted by hi_im_sean
mo what year and price range were you looking at? and please tell me she drive a stick
Yeah, she can drive a manual. My buddy is selling a 96 M edition. I can probably get it for 2k or a little less. It needs brakes and tires.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #512
9" strait pipes...

because you guys asked so nicely

now a bell housing bolt hits the tunnel. the exhaust seems to fit "better". i need to pull the engine to make some dents, and see where its at. i might end up ditching the 3 bolt flanges for vbands.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #513
9" strait pipes...

Quote: Originally Posted by mostizzle
Yeah, she can drive a manual. My buddy is selling a 96 M edition. I can probably get it for 2k or a little less. It needs brakes and tires.
perfect. 94-97 was the best for the NAs, and would be my choice. that is a very decent price as well. tires are cheap for these cars.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #514
WTFWBJD

Sweet. I'll be sure to post some pics if I snag it up. Probably won't be until the snow kicks rocks.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #515

Quote: Originally Posted by hi_im_sean
I might end up ditching the 3 bolt flanges for vbands.
If I could go back, I would defiantly change out the flanges for V-Bands. That little extra room pays off + no collector leaks!
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #516

Any updates? It's been a while
Old 08-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #517

Man oh Man,,,,I just gotta say you guys have done some amazing work on the s series trucks. I'm going to give it a shot myself. Bout a rusted out s15 X cab 4X4 with a 2.8 with a bad knock on a manual 5 speed transmission. Bought a 1989 wreck Jimmy 4X4 with a vortex 4.3 and the electronic automatic trans. Not sure if I bought the right donor vehicle to do a swap but sure lots of good parts to it and runs real nice. I'm hoping I can use the air, console, lighted visors, 4.3, transfer case and power doors and window hardware and mod them to fit my S15. At least I hope I can use as many parts as possible from the 98 Jimmy 4x4 for my S15 but just not sure what mods I need to make. Started stripping the 98 Jimmy yesterday, Great electric bucket seats, headliner that could be modded to fit my s15. I hope I can use some suspension and steering parts from the donor, but just waiting to learn more from this site as to what I can and can't draft over from the Jimmy to the s15. Learning as I go. Love all you guys work and pictures, so very helpful to this newby!!
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #518

Quote: Originally Posted by Terribletrux
If I could go back, I would defiantly change out the flanges for V-Bands. That little extra room pays off + no collector leaks!
I moder-fyed my headers, V-Bands for the win.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #519
9" strait pipes...

Thanks for the compliments Jim.

Quote: Originally Posted by Terribletrux
I moder-fyed my headers, V-Bands for the win.

Was just thinking about ordering these the other day. What size? 2-1/4"

As soon as I get the miata buttoned up, ill be back full steam on the truck. Ive just been crazy busy with machining projects, a 2nd kid, and getting positive pressure in the miata intake.

And heres some pics to justify my absence:

miata motor mounts suck, and wont hold up to stock 100hp, let alone 250. aftermarket ones are $250+ because race car. so I made some for about $10 using 60's mustang LCA bushings.

I made a water neck as the stock one is a weird POS that bends to clear AC and PS and gets in the way of my charge pipes.

FMIC

I made a bead roller and rolled some beads

so wonrg

my divorced downpipe with 5 bolt to vband adapter that i made. I even machined all the v bands except the one 3" one on the end of the DP.

Its funny this 1.6L car has the same size exhaust(3") that the 5.4L stroker in the truck will (dual 2-1/4" Y to one 3")

turbo is from an 04-05ish WRX.

Full details in link: "gay miata" below \/
Old 08-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #520
WTFWBJD

I ended up buying that M edition that we spoke about a while back. Its not very fast but it's literally the best handling and most fun to drive vehicle I've ever been behind the wheel of. So far I've upgraded the speakers, removed the factory alarm and keyless entry crap, installed power stop rotors and pads. What kind of stuff do you make for em? Got any hook ups on seals for the windows n stuff?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #521
9" strait pipes...

Quote: Originally Posted by mostizzle
I ended up buying that M edition that we spoke about a while back. Its not very fast but it's literally the best handling and most fun to drive vehicle I've ever been behind the wheel of. So far I've upgraded the speakers, removed the factory alarm and keyless entry crap, installed power stop rotors and pads. What kind of stuff do you make for em? Got any hook ups on seals for the windows n stuff?
I dont make anything you would want. Race car stuffs. No hookups either. If you go do a few autocrosses and get a "race result" you can qualify to be part of mazda comp, and get oem part discounts. Some people have gotten away with telling them that they are still building the car.

Miatae arnt supposed to be fast(in a staright line), admitted by the lead designer himself. They are about the driving experience and handling as youve discovered. I have hours of videos slaughtering cobras, c5, c6, M3, etc etc in the corners, only to be passed on the straights, only to own again in the turns. I still like power though, hence the mods above. You have a 1.8, rated at 130hp at the flywheel, my 90 has a 1.6 rated at 115hp. Yours being an M edition is piggy as miatae go(probably around 2400lbs), which doesnt help things. Ill be pushing about 280hp at the flywheel with 10-12 lbs of boost out of that TD04 and at about 2100lbs.

Tips:
-Whatever you do, dont add unpsrung weight(big wheels, unnecessarily large brakes, etc). Its the quickest way to upset the handling on these cars, they are very sensitive to unsprung weight. If you want stiffer sidewalls, get the proper tire and/or a wider rim. Stay with 15s. On a side note, id like to say that wide rims on these cars with serious rubber is ****ing magical; I run 15x9s, its fukcing amazing. It spoils you.

-Unless you track, just replace the brakes with stock size parts.

-A lot can be gained from a good alignment. Youd be amazed at the difference a slightly more agressive than stock alignment can make.
follow the street alignment: http://949racing.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx

-Take everything you read at Miata.net with a grain of salt. If you want no BS facts, visit miatatubo.net.

-Cooling system is weak on these cars. It stems from the fact that the block was designed for FWD cars. When mazda used it in a longitudinal layout, they fukced up the cooling system.
read: http://www.solomiata.com/CoolantReroute.html
there are many ways to do a reroute, the way the article explains it is terrible at best. search google for "miata coolant reroute" for other options. Never install a 180 degree thermostat. Use the factory 195.

-Lowering the car an inch or 2 is awesome for all kinds of reasons, none of which have to do with looks.

-As noted, motor mounts suck. they separate and cause the engine and trans to whip around violently, especially during a shift causing you to grab 1rst instead of 3rd on hot a 2-3 upshift. replavce them as required.

- These engines can rev to 7200rpm all day long, they dont care, theyre like the ****ing honey badger. Seriously though, rev the **** out of it with little concern, bounce it off the limiter, they were made to rev, they can handle it. If the lifters start making noise, turn up the stereo. I know its weird advice, but its funny when people baby these motors and wonder why they dont make any power. The usable range on them is 5000 and up, shift at 7k, and youll stay in the power band. you have the larger diff that can handle lots of abuse, and the stock 5 speed will handle anything below 200hp, even power shifting like a dick head all the time.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #522
LSX Jimmy

I was going to buy a 5.3 and harness off my local craigslist, my wife asked what for. I said an LS powered Miata, to which she replied **** no, you'll die. I say but it would be fun!
Old 08-08-2015, 12:13 AM   #523
WTFWBJD

Oh I know it likes to rev. lol A few things were done to it before I got it. It's got Flyin Miata stage 2.5 suspension package, Racing Beat header, MagnaFlow exhaust, what I believe to be 10th anniversary seats, 15x7 8 spoke Konigs with 205/50's and a shitty "cold air" intake that I still have to address. Does anyone make upgraded motor and trans mounts?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #524
9" strait pipes...

Oh cool, you're on the right track. That is a tasteful mod list there, very proud of you lol. A few different motor mount solutions exist, that are all expensive. No such thing as a trans mount on a miata, you want diff mounts though. I'll link you when I'm on my computer.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #525
WTFWBJD

Word. Thanks for the info. I'd like to get a hardtop for it one of these days too. Sucks because the guy I bought it from had one and sold it. Sorry for jackin your thread BTW.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #526
9" strait pipes...

no sweat on the thread jack

these are the cheapest option, and will last a long time on a street car. they are a little stiffer than stock, but nothing crazy. FM has em too, and since they are an oem mazda part, you can pick then up at you mazda dealer for an arm and a leg.

http://949racing.com/mazda-motor-mount.aspx

best solution, big $$$. stiff mounts, even the softest durometer. youll never buuy motor mounts again, or miss a shift, but they are stiff.

http://949racing.com/Supermiata-motor-mount.aspx

and if your a fan of driving a giant dildo. seriously, these will make the car vibrate so bad. but hey theyre cheap and last forever.

http://www.miataroadster.com/miataro.../i-407704.aspx

and as far as diff mounts, just get a poly set from prothane, or energy. you can buy just the diff mounts for like $50, or they come in the complete kits. poly diff bushings do make noise though, you get a little diff/tranny whine and road noise coming through them.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #527
In charge of the big door

I just read through this entire thread. I like what you are doing with the truck. Also, I am an SCCA fan so I am familiar with racing miatas. They seem to run in almost any class. They even have 2 of their own classes SM & SSM (Spec Miata & Showroom Spec Miata).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:
How did you hear about us?
Enter a URL or Site name of who refered you to this site. (required. Only admins can see this)
State
Please enter your two letter state name to help other users and clubs find local users to them.(required)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.