5.3 S10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

5.3 S10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #1

5.3 S10

i'm starting off with a 2000 4.3 ext cab Extreme with the 0411 computer.
if all goes to plan around march or april i should have all the parts to swap the 5.3 in. i know its a long time away, but im still in the research phase of things. and i am short on money becasue of school and sports.

i already have the motor: 2001 5.3 152K

Here are some of my ideas-
-started out thinking that i would want to stay away from the drive by wire, but after starting to use EFI live i think it would be much more benifital to use the DBW setup for fuel econemy, and clenlyness. (sp? )

-was watching powerblock TV with dad a while back and they put IRS from a cobra under a ranger, and i want to try that out and see how it goes. Thinking about using either mark8 or camaro air ride struts all the way around with this setup.

-http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-271600
a 4L80e 6 speed. it's pricy... really pricy, but maybe i'll find a deal on one in the future. (In my dreams ) i'll do some research on this because i just found out about it tonight.

-i've been looking for a different instrament cluster, one that will fit without modification, but i know i will probably have to switch some electrical stuff. i havent had any luck finding one. i want to swich it because i want the spedo to reach higher speed, and i wouldnt mind the message stuff that the newer vehicles have like under the spedo. telling the mpg's and what not.

-getting ahold of everything needed to make it Flex Fuel capeable. any info on what i need for this?

Any info you have regarding any of this is always welcome. along with criticism, and telling me that something im thinking is compleatly rediclious. i'm 16 with a bunch of ideas, and a small amount of knowlage so dont be afraid to share experience with me.

Thanks everyone,
Branden

Merry Christmas btw
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #2

Re: 5.3 S10

Well April and March have came and went without a 5.3 swap... but only because Flipping burgers at McDonalds only makes so much.
This Dream of mine is coming to be a reality here probably at the end of July.

Motor- 2004 5.3
Trans- 2000 4L60E (Stock to the truck)

Questions:

When using an LS6 intake, with Truck acc. Can I use the stock truck Water Pump? or use the L99? I'm working on a custom Acc bracket that relocates the idler pully to below the alt. I'll try to get some pictures.

I'm going DBW, I have a DBW PCM, the pedal assembly, the TAC, and the wires to go in between, I need the correct throttle body to work with the 2004 stuff. Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like? I'm hoping it is the slim style. the early style is just plain ugly.
Another question, Is this its own harness? or Does it tie into the engine harness?

Thanks guys,
Branden
Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #3

User is: OffLine

try the v8 section of the forum
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

Good call on asking over there.

No, stock truck water pump cant be used with the LS6 intake, Use of the L99 is an option. For those wanting to know.

I'm making a new acc. bracket for the alt., PS pump, and idler pully.
The pictures are only of the mock up, that is made out of some pretty thin sheetmetal for eaise of trimming and bending. (translation-Welds look like crap) The final product will be laser cut out of 1/4" steel. A templet was made of each peice before being welded, for scanning to the computer.

Here is the starting point. It uses all the same bolt holes.

PS mount added.

Alt. mount added.

Better look, off the motor.

Then I realized the PS pump mount wouldnt work becasue the PS pump I was using for mock up didnt have the case on the back of it. I also realized I would have to relocate the idler pully as well.
Back to the drawing board...

New PS mount and Idler pully mount.

Compairison between stock mount and my mount.

What do you guys think?

My apoligies for the crappy cell phone resilution, but it is the only way i can take pictures of everything and get them up here. Bare with me fellas.

Thanks,
Branden
Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #5

I ordered the H3 pan form Curent Performance, The L99 water pump from Amazon, and sent templates out to be lazer-cut.

Within a week or so I should have a harness to start tearing apart for the engine, a LS6 intake, and....
Provided the column will fit, I'll start pulling all the interior wires out, and replacing them with a harness from an 04 truck in order for the cluster and steering wheel controls to work properly. So I'll be looking at something like this:

I'm going to hit the Junkyard here shortly do do some masuring for it. I will for sure have the newer style cluster though.

Branden
Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #6

The only thing differrent about the two is where it mounts on the firewall! I couldnt see the shaft on the s10 becasue it still had something attached to it, but I would assume that it is the same size.

They look slightly different in the picture, but thats just the angle.
Another one:

Maybe a little bending at the least, and making a new bracket at the most.
Looks like good news to me!

Branden
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

Thinking about how the new harness will work with S10 switches, I started wondering if I could use the newer switches.
So I grabbed the ones we had in the garage and put them up to the ones in my truck. This is from the driver side of a 4 door.
Face up:

Face down:

Looks like it'll fit right?
only problem is that the newer switches are a one peice for all the controls, where the S10 is two peices:

Maybe the newer switches are only like that for the 4 doors? I'll look into it.

Also might use this for some type of switch.

Not sure what for. But it Could be cool for something. Just have a sticker made to go over top of it or something like that.

Still waiting on parts. My H3 pan from Current Performance showed up a couple days ago though.
Branden.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #8

Went to the track tonight, just to get some numbers for what I could do with the 4.3 before the swap.

Best:
R/T-.011
60'-2.433
330-7.017
1/8-10.804
MPH-64.83
1000-14.105
1/4-16.905
MPH-80.59

Worst:
R/T-.404
60'-2.649
330-7.419
1/8-11.364
MPH-60.99
1000-14.863
1/4-17.793
MPH-77
Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #9

u need to work on those reaction times man! jk good luck with this i know how ya feel about $$$ im in the same position
Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #10

If you really want a good transmission and IRS go get a t-56 transaxle out of a corvette. You would have amazing traction in the turns and a really good amount of weight in the back of your truck.

What are u thinking for front suspension?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #11

Haha, I was killing my buddy's mustang off the line, but past the 60' mark he got me on the big end.

I'm going to run the stock 7.5 axle in the back until it gives out, then probably a 9" after that. When I get a decent job I'll drop some money into the trans and rear axle.
Factory Zq8 suspention all the way around.

Branden
Old 07-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Trust Me

cool project, I'm subscribing to see some updates!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #13

So... funny story,
Went to the junk yard today at around 4:45 to pull the harness out of a truck, to use for the swap. I'm back there working along, realizing its about closing time, so I hurry up. I go to leave and its 6:05, they close at 6. Driving to the exit... the gate is locked... lights are out. garage doors shut. I'm locked in. Made a few calls, and someone came to unlock me. whew...

Ended up with this!

I managed to grab everything but the headliner harness, which I'll get sometime next week.

Going out to clean my spot out in the garage to pull my truck in.

Branden
Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Meh Dingus

Medusa?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Dems 22s

cool project man, id love to do this to my s10 one day
Old 07-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #16

Yea pretty much. lol.

Pulled my truck in and started putting the new ACC bracket together.

I welded it up and had to close up shop, wedding tonight.

Branden
Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #17

That new job I was talking about was for the time, a six, 9+ hour day a week there for the first two weeks. So I havent posted anything because I was shooting to have it done by... yesterday. But work slowed down, and i have tomorrow off. so by this weekend for sure. Here is what all i go done:
I finnished that bracket the next day.

Then this beauty showed up. (LS6 intake)

So I cleaned the ports:

oh yea, When we had this thing in the jeep we put an LS1 cam in it, along with behive springs:

5th Gen Camaro Water pump. When buying from GM, their "water pump kit" consist of only one gasket. hmmm... at $10 a gasket thats a little retarded:

Modified coil brackets ( I also had to slant the pass side, You'll see):

I didnt take pictures of the other side, but I did the same thing, but in a different spot. brought them down enough to clear the fuel line.

Pulled the front clip off and started deconstruction:

Well... thats one bag of floor dry.

Without any weight in the front it looked like it was gonna pop a wheelie!

So both motor mounts were bolted in... but wernt attached to the motor. the rubber part came apart. on both sides.

Test fit. (note, when doing this, its best to have the harness all plugged in and on the motor before setting it in.)

Cut the crossmember:

I'll show more pictures of final product, because the current sight of it.... isnt pretty.

Solid motor mounts:

Solid trans mount (I believe in over-building. This should hold up to.... 5000 HP. haha.)

Notched for A/C (yea, its tight):

Had to modify the idler arm. Drilled another hole in the middle of the two, and then through the frame. should be ok right?:

Flanges...

Bent tube...

75% finished headers!!!

Once again, I forgot to take pictures of the other side, put there will be finished pictures. No worries. I'm planning on tigging them up tomorrow.

So thats all I got for now. What do I have left?

Exhaust
Fuel tank mount/ lines made and ran
interior wiring
fan shroud
and probably little things im not thinking of.

Anyone know what 04-07 GM vehicle would have gauges that read: Trans temp, a 7K or 6K tach, 120 or higher speedo, and the Drivers info center? All I can find with the trans temp gauge is a 5k tach. even the 2500.

My apoligies for the crappy pictures.
What do y'all think?
Branden
Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Molon Labe

You are really making me reconsider an LQ4 in my truck, awesome work.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #19

I'm hoping to weld the headers up tomorrow, we dont have a tig welder at home, so I'm relying on a buddy.

Tore the dash out, pulled the carpet up, and removed the headliner to remove the S10 harness, and make way for the new full size harness:

Took the old harness out, and laid the new one on to see how it fits:

It all fit decent,had to remove the plastic peice that directed the wires because it made them Zig when I needed them to Zag.
I'm using the full size steering column, which pluged right in. The steering wheel air bag was the only one that plugged into the new harness. Not a big deal because I always have the pass. side turned off anyways.

other than the wiring, and having to change/modify the piece of steering shaft that connects to the end of the column, and goes through the firewall, Swapping the lower mount from the S10 column to the full size column is all that is needed.
The one on the left is the S10, right is the full size.

I dont remember the masurment off hand, but I masured where it was on the S10 column, cut it off, marked it on the new one, centered it the best i could, and tacked it a little on each side.
came up with this:

slid it in there, and hand tightened the top nuts, and then tightened the lower mount as much as it would go to make it to the angle it needed to be, then did the same with the top studs.
pulled it back out and welded it up.
slid it back in, and bolted right up. (Camo cover on it, its only on there till I quit taking it in and out. Trying to keep it as nice as possible. $75 and its spotless. )

Dash somewhat in, along with the carpet and seat.

I'm using the 04 truck DBW setup. I had to cut the pedal assemebly, and weld it on there at about a 45 degree angle. Beings I shortened the pedal, not as much leverage, so its a pretty firm pedal, but I think I'll like it.
Test fit, using clamps as a pedal:

Then welded the real pedal on:

I'm using the stock 4.3 pump/canister setup, with the 2 door blazer tank mounted between the frame rails behind the axle. Here is what I have done to make the canister fit in the more shallow tank:
strapped down the springs as much as they will go, and cut off 2 inches from each support:

Then took the brake line flaring tool and flaired the ends back to the way they were:

Took it from 14 1/2" to 12 1/2"

Mounted in the tank:

The thing turned out looking factory. I was suprised.

Gonna make the fuel line tomorrow if the parts store has the line I need borrowing a nifty little tool from a buddy. I'll show ya when I post up next.

What do y'all think?
Branden
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #20

Got the tank mounted.

New tank on left, old on right:

Here is what it looks like before (I forgot to take a picture before I cut it, so I put it back up there and snapped one. ):

The piece I cut out:

Here's what I've seen others do to hold their tank up durring the mock up process. 2 ratchet straps. Worked great:

Clamped a piece of angle iron to the frame, then raised the tank up to it so the tank would be flush with the top of the frame rails:

Its 35 1/2 between the rails, so I cut that piece of angle iron to that length, then makred 17 3/4 on it for center. Tacked it to the very end of the frame, and made two straps to go from there to the factory cross brace:

Then I cut a piece out of the lip on the front side of the cross brace:

Cleaned up the area:

Cut this piece off of the cross brace because it would end up rubbing on the fuel lines:

Then cut another piece of strap, drilled a hole, welded a nut, and bent it to this shape:

Welded it to here:

Cut up, drilled a hole, and bent this piece:

To go here:

Made little braces for the back:

All of that was build around using the factory straps off of a 2dr Blazer. Turns out, it worked pretty good:

Look, no jack or ratchet straps holding it up:

I then got up on it, and jumped around a little bit, quality control of course. It held 180 punds jumping up and down on it with no signs of moving, so I would imagine the 150 pounds max of gas that will be in it will be ok.

After the quality control test stated above, I grabbed this:

I put that on the top strap, and the bottom strap.

Painted it:

Branden
Old 08-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
Its that dam ADD!

good stuff, keep it coming man, your balls deep for sure
Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
Electrical Mod

Looking good man. Keep up the hard work.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by Forklift
your balls deep for sure
Haha.
I think I was balls deep when dad told me if I replaced the motor in a 4 banger S10 for a guy I could have the the ol' 5.3 we took out of the Jeep. Now I'm in over my head. and loving it.

Thanks for the props guys.
I'm waiting on parts to finish the filler neck. They'll be here tomorrow.
Going to weld up that front crossmember, mount the motor/trans/gas tank for good. couple other little things maybe.

Branden
Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #24

So...

Branden.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
Molon Labe

Nice Headers!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #26

Thanks. I pretty much murdered the collectors. Not too proud of them, but I can say I did it.

School started and life happened real fast, so forgive my absence. I have gotten stuff done on the truck though. Alot.

Should've posted this earlier, but forgot about it.
I had to make the holes where the TC bolt up a little bigger. I used the plasma cutter.

This is on the bottom of the core support:
Had to make a new hole, and blow a little line in the bottom in order to bolt the new air bag sensors on. looks like this,

Steering shaft for the new column had to be modified.
the top one is from the new column, bottom from the old.

I needed the joint off of the new one, but the shaft off the old. So I cut them like so:

Welded it up and it looks like this:

Finishing the gas tank/filler neck mounting:
This is the Fuel filter I used.

NOTE: Because I am using the stock 4.3 Fuel pump I could not use the 2.2 Flex fuel filter. (found that one out the hard way.)

Notched the cross brace and put this in for the filler neck to go through:

I used flexable rad. hose and a piece of 1.5 tubing to make the filler neck. Now I know Rad. hose is not fuel rated, and Its not the best idea, but a wise old man assured me it would work for a LONG. (He emphasized on the LONG part just as i did.)
It lays in there something like this:

This is where I mounted the Fuel Filter:

Put the bed on, and realized the lines would be crushed, so i notched a little bit of the bracing on the bottom side of the bed for them to go through and it all went on good. Its still on jack stands, so no pump experience, but when we poured gas in from a can it didnt have any troubles.

I have done a lot more, but Break is over and I gotta get back to work, I'll try to post up more soon.

Branden
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
It's a 4. something

Are you wiring this or having CPW do it?

Also, how are you planning on dealing with the BCM and stuff when it comes to the new cluster, steering wheel, and other stuff from the Silverado? Are you gonna run the Silverado or the S10 BCM? I'm also assuming that you're gonna be running the Silverado PCM?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm working on merging some silverado feature in my LSx S10 using the silverado BCM so I'm looking to see what other are doing.

Progress is looking good though man keep up the good work.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #28

I am doing all the wiring, all the Fab, and all the tuning for this truck. Goal was to learn from it all. so far, its going good.
I Pulled every wire out of the S10. I mean EVERY wire.
I then put in EVERY wire from an 04 Silvarado. I figured out what I didnt need and cut it out or just zip tied it for the harness for possible future use. Any connectors that needed it, I rewired with S10 plugs. (stuff like the pindow motor plugs, and tail lights.) and did vis-versa with the 04 connectors where it need be.
The BCM, Column, and PCM are all from an 04 silvy, and plug right in with the new harness.
I chose to do it this way because it seemed like the easiest way. I'm not sure if CPW will do this kind of thing for you, beings... its a pain in the butt, and the demand isn't there for them to take the time to do it. To do it all yourself, you really have to WANT to do it. I've never wanted to give up, but everyone says its hard and that they would rather pay someone to do it. So be prepared if you choose to do it yourself.

For the headlights to work, instead of switching the plug and it still not work, I just took apart the headlight switch, and replaced the internals with the 04 switch. took a little modification, but it fits and works.

My buddy at LKQ finally came through for me with a cluster:

Pretty lights...

Got the motor to fire finally, but with no cooling system I cant run it long enough to do much with it. but to start off, #4 wasnt firing.
4 is on the right, 6 the left. you can see the difference on the valves:

soon to be more,
Branden
Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
It's a 4. something

Thanks for the info man. I like the idea of going full Silverado but never thought about doing everything. It opens you up to being able to add a lot of features that never came on an S10. I'll def be following this build.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #30

About 9 weeks from the start, Its finally getting fenders back on.
Inner fenders:

Outter Fenders:

Hood:

Couple Pictures of the engine bay:

There was no room on the inside for a fan, so I made a piece to go on the outside to mount two 12" fans to push air through. My Votech class has a Torchmate plasma table that I wrote the program for and used to cut it out:

Fans bolted on:

Bolted into place:

Had to notch the hood latch support a little on each side:

Finaly got a new phone so pictrues should be looking a little bit better.

Branden
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
LSX LUV Owner

im curious to hear about how well it pumps gas.. ive thought about doing a setup like that, but never had faith in it pumping gas into tank worth a shit.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #32

X2 .... oh wait, you're talking to me? yea I feel the same way, I'm deffinetly crossing my fingers when I go to get gas the first time. lol.

Branden
Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #33
Spark Plugs Are Overrated

Nice work man!

It's really weird going through your thread, completely different setup and intended use than mine, but there is a crazy amount that is nearly exactly the same as the stuff I had to deal with. This thing will be very fun to drive!

The only thing that worries me a little is the cooling system. I really hope it cools good for you, but I haven't ever seen great results from electric pushers...
Old 09-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #34

Wow, nice work!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #35

Quote: Originally Posted by DieselS10
Nice work man!

The only thing that worries me a little is the cooling system. I really hope it cools good for you, but I haven't ever seen great results from electric pushers...
Dont tell me that. I Didnt have much of an option for mounting pullers, because of clearence. I'll see how it works, I was sketchy myself on how well it will work. Time will tell.

I'm stuck on wiring issues at the moment. I either have something shorting out, or... well I dont know what else it would be.
A buddy will be coming to help me out sometime with it. for now I'm making the PCM, fuse block, and Radiator mount. More excuses to use the CNC plasma at school. After that, radiator hoses, exhaust, and finish wiring and ill be driving.

Thanks guys,
Branden
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #36
Rolnlow

looks like a good build check out my swap
Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #37

IMO nothing will cool as good as the factory clutch fan in a properly setup shroud. I know it is a complete pain, but if necessary the factory clutch fan can be used in them. It won't hurt anything to try what you've got first though.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #38

IMO nothing will cool as good as the factory clutch fan in a properly setup shroud. I know it is a complete pain, but if necessary the factory clutch fan can be used in them. It won't hurt anything to try what you've got first though.
I hear ya there. But there is 2 inches between the water pump and rad. And I'm using the camamro waterpump so no optionfor clutch fan. Deffinetly agree with you though.

I have the PCM mounted, and a huge wiring issue fixed thanks to DieselS10. Dont have pictures yet, but will eventualy.

Branden
Old 09-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #39
Rolnlow

I am running the new camaro water pump also and i have alot of room, look at my build thread
Old 09-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #40

Quote: Originally Posted by railn20s
I am running the new camaro water pump also and i have alot of room, look at my build thread
I looked at your build the first time you told me to. And if you look at your motor mounts, and then look at mine, they are different. Which probably means the motor is... well, not in the same spot. Which also would mean different clearence in different spots.

Thanks though,
Branden
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #41

Hey Branden, I've had the PDC template in my car for a week and I keep forgetting to send it....
Old 10-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #42

Hey Branden, I've had the PDC template in my car for a week and I keep forgetting to send it....
It's alright amigo, it sits pretty snug where it should be, so I can drive it around without it for a bit. I appriciate you taking the time to do that. I keep looking at it and dont even know where to start.

on to the updates-

The way the harness is made for the silvarado it puts the PCM on the drivers side, so I had to make a new mount for it between the brake booster and the fender.

I used the Torchmate program at Votech to cut it out. I didnt take a picture of it before the first bend, but here is one after:

Second bend before cut and welded:

With the PCM mounted:

Mounted on the fender:

Next was the fitment of the cluster.
What one looks like with the cover off, if ya wanted to know:

What I started with, before any cutting:

First glance of what to cut:

Cut the top ears off:

Cut the bottom ears enough to fit, and then snapped the cover on and used it as a template of what to cut off the template:

I had to cut the top bolt holes off of the bezel for it ot fit in enough:

you cant tell in the picture, but I took a flap disk to the back side of the bezel where it was hitting the cluster.

And here is s dark picture of it in:

It is held in by the tighness of the fit, and the bezel, no bolts. It wont move at all for those of you who are asking "why not??".

For the cooling I had to make a little modification to the outlet of the water pump. the stock one pointed straight out, which would go right into the rad. so I pulled out the tube from the stock truck water pump, and cut,bent, and welded it into a tighter bend. These are just with it holding its own weight, not pressed in very far.

I cut a piece of fuel line and welded it into a hole I drilled into the top of the elbow. This is for the steam vent from the top of the heads:

\
The welds are pretty ugly, I noticed it too. lol. I cleaned them up brfore paint so it looks nice.

A hose goes from there to the bottom from the throttle body.

Then came finding radiator hoses.
I took masurments and kinda sketched what i needed, then went down to O'reillys and looked through all the hoses they had for one that looked remotly possible to work. Found ones that worked perfectly! after a little cutting...
the upper was easy, just 2 about 90* bends with about 10 inches between them. Here is the part number:

the lower hose was about the same, but with 4 inches between the bends:

The duct tape is where I cut it.

I used the torchmate program to cut out the rad. mount too.
Here is pic of it bent and painted:

Installed

Here is the first video I have of it running, it was before I did any of the above updates. Its crappy pic. and crapy audio. but its running.

http://youtu.be/09-5cIqPyjs

Put the Dash back together:

Beautiful:

I drove it down the highway today. I have a few issues that need to be worked out. like and injector sticking open and washing #7 out, wire fans correctly, and blinkers working properly. oh, and put exhaust on it.
Crazy thing is.... there is no MAS AirFlow sens. plugged in... and it ran like a champ. Beats me.

What do ya'll think?
Branden
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #43

looking good
Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #44

Thnaks man.

I forgot the mention the horrible squeaking noise coming from the bellhousing. I forgot to put the 6.0L flywheel spacer in before, so I pulled the trans and put it in last night:

With the dished 5.3 flywheel The spacer is Put on after the flywheel.

Still makes the noise. I'm going to pull the TC bolts out after it cools down and run it for a little bit to be sure its not the motor.
I also looked at the flywheel for cracks... there were none.

Any suggestions/Ideas as to what it could be?
Thanks,
Branden
Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #45
GM Slave

Nice. I always love seeing v8's in these little s10. Still get good gas mileage, and power.
Power to weight ratio rules in this case! Also love the gauge cluster you did.

Watching all these builds are really making me want to get another s10.
Keep up the good work, Also, love the headers as well! May pay you to make me a set once I start my next build.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #46

Thanks for the Props man.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #47
GM Slave

Quote: Originally Posted by blindawg
Thanks for the Props man.
Notta problem.

What vehicle did you get the cluster out of? Sorry if you posted, and I overlooked.
Trans temp is one of my fave things to keep and eye on..
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #48

2004 Denali, but I'm pretty sure all 2004 and up trucks/SUVs had it. With the 2nd Gen S10 you can rewire the plug for the cluster and the Volt gauge didn't work, I think the oil pressure worked, but cant remember for sure. I did a write up on it if you wanna know I'll find it for ya. PM me.

Branden
Old 11-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #49

So in an effor to fix the squeaking noise I bought a transmission out from behind a 5.3, put it in, and what do ya know, still squeaks.

I had to redo the crossmember because the bellhousing on the new trans. is like half an inch longer than the old one. I would have had to do this anyways for exhaust, so 2 birds down with 1 stone.

NOTE: It seems like common sense after an old man told me, but before he explained it I thought Beings the motor mounts were solid, the trans mount needed to be too. WRONG. The trans mount needs to still have rubber on it for when the frame twist. In the pictures I hadn't redone it yet, but I bassiclly lowered the mount you see there enought to put the factory rubber mount in. Easy fix.

So after we put the new transmission in and it still squeaked I let dad look at it and he noticed that it would only squeak when it built up pressure... so he unplugged the PCV check valve. "Pshhhhhhh" no more squeak. plugged it back in, and it squeaked. Turns out when I hooked them up I put them both to vacuum. It didnt like that. so now the pass. side is vented into the intake tube, and the driver side is onto intake vacuum.

So then it was time to build exhaust. It's all 3".
Started with 6 45* bends, and a 10' stick. Plan was to have an X pipe and dump right before the axle.
I started with the X pipe:
Took 2 of the 45* bends and marked them to cut and weld together:

I hung the X pipe off the driveshaft the distance I wanted it for clearence, then built from the header back to it:

Did the same for the other side:

Installed, looked like this:

For the X pipe back I had to build it over the crossbrace that holds the carrier bearing, Didnt get a good picture of it in the truck, but you can see it curves back up after the X:

The mufflers I used are SpinTech's. I've never heard of them, but a buddy had them laying around so I figured I'd try them. It sounds pretty good. I wish I could get a sound clip up, but the audio always comes out distorted.

The donor truck I got the harness, Column, and BCM from. Not that it has anything to do with anything,

I took it up to KC, over to Olathe, and back home. Right at 185 miles, without a problem. The Info center said I was getting 21.5 MPG going 80-85 MPH, gas gauge doesnt work right, so I cant tell you the correct number yet.
The way I have the filler neck routed... doest work. I will have to bite the bullet and cut the bedside probably.

I still have little things left to do, but I can drive it!

What do you think?
Branden
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #50

That's awesome man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.