2000 Blazer AWD Project - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 Blazer AWD Project

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Member Forums > Member Projects
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
J_E

Cool 2000 Blazer AWD Project

Hey all!

Two or three months ago I got this crazy idea to make a Blazer AWD. I 'asked' Google if it was possible, and found my way here. Some years ago I was a member at S-series, and found that that site has dried up some, but there is still some good info there.

Anyways, after some searching on the good ol' CL, I found a 2000 Blazer 2dr 4x4 "in need of a MAP sensor". Since it was a good price I gave the guy the benefit if the doubt and went to see it.

Long story short, I drove it, then I drove it home. Somehow it made it and I didn't die. It was throwing the dreaded P0300 code, a lean code, a MAF/MAP sensor code, an ABS code or two (the pump was running constantly til some genious cut the positive wire to the ABS pump motor...), and a code for shift solenoid 'A'.

Pretty much as it sat the day I bought it, except with more air in the tires:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

Re: 2000 Blazer AWD Project

it can be done, it kind of depends on what you want it to do. I run a bw4472 transfer case myself, which is the older style and is all time awd. The newer stuff is part time, *requires* some computer control, and isn't as strong.

Things you might want to look into is a bravada donor. those were awd, and have everything you need for a straight and easy swap. cross members, engine to t-case adapters (some of them are slightly different angles) the case itself, wiring harness and pcm. The way that the front propshacts are usually different as well, the 4x4 uses a 4 bolt yoke, very simular to the rear driveshaft where the awd uses a 4 bolt plate with a centering ring. You can just take that place off the doner and bolt right on to your front axle.

I didn't document much about how I achived this in my blazer in my build just because it was a pretty simple proceedure. the hard part was a 60*v6 bolt pattern to a th400 to the bravada style t-case...

but if you want to look at it its the 'turbo 3800 awd blazer'thread on here.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

Welcome

I've done 3 AWD trucks. I can do the conversion in a day now

Search my posts and you'll find the AWD threads.

I bought a $300 Astro van, stripped out what I needed and sold the rest for $300

Spent another $90 to shorten the Astro front drive shaft.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

yea, astro as well. i didn't know about the prop shafts, mine I knew was going to be different.

awd v8, are you still looking for a T56 hooked to a case? I be able to get you one....have you ever heard of the mutant syclone...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by BMFB
yea, astro as well. i didn't know about the prop shafts, mine I knew was going to be different.

awd v8, are you still looking for a T56 hooked to a case? I be able to get you one....have you ever heard of the mutant syclone...
I'm not looking to spend that kind of money, besides, my left foot can't do a clutch anymore, arthritis I think.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

ouch, sorry to hear man.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
J_E

Gentlemen, thanks for the responses. I, actually, have already read most of the pertinent threads regarding the 4wd to AWD conversion, including the discussion about the TBSS transfer case.

I was already aware that the NV 136 is plug and puke with my model year blazer with the necessary module swap. However that particular setup defeats the purpose and the spirit of the AWD conversion. Besides I already have a BW 4472 patiently waiting in the back of my wrangler.

The parts vehicle, is a brilliant idea, and one that I had considered. There was a 97 astro for $500 in my area. I thought about buying it, swapping the necessary driveline components, and donating the running and drivable remains to charity to get my $500 back. Unfortunately, available space shot that down. So when I get to that aspect of the build, I will have to do it the more costly way.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
J_E

OK, I have tried typing this update twice now, and each time something happens that prevents me from finishing and posting it.

I took a weekend and went through most everything that might have caused a P0300 code. I cleaned sensore, replaced vacuum hose, and checked for vacuum leaks. The biggest isue I found was a leaking fuel regulator, but nothing I tried made an improvement. Actually, it seemed like that the more I worked with it the worse it got.

Once I proved that it was an intake gasket and/or a head gasket, the disassembly began. The reason I wasn't sure which it was is because the #2 cylinder had good compression but wouldn't hold it. I also got a rising oil level and a relatively quick loss of pressure when I tried the coolant pressure leak down test. Oddly the oil never looked milky, and I never saw any oil in the coolant.

I didn't get many pics of the disassembly, and somehow I never managed to get any of the cylinder walls/pistons.

I pulled the grille, bumper, and headlights because most of the existing stuff was busted up, and I got a good deal from a guy parting a '99 4dr:

Disassembly in progress:

Fast forward to the driver's side head (after having been through the parts washer):

Passenger's side head (before the parts washer):

When I pulled the lower intake, the gasket on both sides practically disintegrated. I also found a relatively large leaf in the intake port for the #2 cylinder on the head. I guess we found part of why #2 was dead. I took both heads to a local engine shop to get a once over. He called back and said that all of my valves and valve seats needed to be ground. The engine had been run this way for some time and had done some damage to the valve seating area. I let him know my plans for the engine/vehicle, took him some springs, retainers, and rocker studs that I had purchased for it and he said that he would take care of the heads.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
J_E

Fast forward a week or so and a hurricane, and I get these back from the engine shop:

Reassembly started as time allowed and would have continued much farther last weekend, except that I managed to miss the in-lbs next to the lower intake manifold bolt torque specs...

This is where my progress ended last weekend. Heads on, push rods and rockers installed and adjusted:

For the moment, I decided to stick with the stock cam. Once it is back on the road, I will look into starting a short block build and other possibilities. Yes, I know it would have been easier and more cost effective to do all of that while the engine was already apart, but everything else on the block looked good, so I am going to run it until I am ready for the next step.

Last night I got a little further past where I am in this pic:

Once I get the engine back together and running, it will be time for the transmission. I have for it, a & b solenoids, the transgo shift improver kit, the corvette servo, and the 4th/od billet servo. I thought about the stage 2 from transgo, but I am hesitant to get the transmission shifting too hard because I am not sure if the 4472 can take repeated shock like that. So, I'll firm up the shifts, add a better cooler, and call it a day until I decide if I want to attempt a 5 speed swap.

Finally, I am thinking a 3/3 static drop (with blocks and keys), new poly bushings, ball joints and steering linkage (because it needs it). Also, I've already finished the 0411 pcm swap with the exception of wiring in my electric fan.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Mafia Customz

Did you take the vortec heads off and swap them with stock non vortec heads?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
J_E

No, I had to go to the earlier valve covers to clear the rockers.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
J_E

Yesterday was a day of slow progress. I'd get a few things done. Realize I missed something. Take it back apart and install what I missed. Then put it all back together. I also found a few parts I forgot that I needed to replace. It's looking like the EGR delete plug for the intake is going to hold me up. Well, that and the rest of the exhaust.

This was at the end of the day yesterday:

I put both of those brackets through the parts washer to try and get some of that old DEXCOOL off, and I guess most of it decided to stick around.

I also picked there up today:

I am not sure if the are real ZR-1 wheels or the version installed on camaros. The center caps might need to go either way.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
J_E

I got my drop keys and blocks ordered today. Still need to find a bushing set for the rear sway bar and get my shocks ordered, then I should be close for the suspension.

I also need suggestions for tires. I want a decent/good all season performance tire. I am curently leaning towards a set of the Kumho Ecsta ASX'x in 245/50/16.

I have decided that I want this back on the road before the Holidays. Hopefully in time to shake it down before I make the 1300 mile trip to Texas to visit family.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
J_E

Well, I scored a front AWD setup today:

And a driveshaft to go with:

The lucky donor was a '99 Astro. The driveshaft appears to be identical to what my blazer already has, except longer and in better shape. Too bad neither matched the output flange on the transfercase. Time to start searching to figure out what I need to make this go together. I remember reading it once....I think. I am pretty sure that I still need to nab at least the slip yoke off of a '94-97ish s-series for the rear drive shaft to fit the transfer case.

I also went ahead and ordered my shocks from www.thesuspensionsource.com, Based off of comments and reviews I decided to go with the Street Performance series instead of the Nitro Drop series.

This weekend should be one of solid progress.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #15

If your existing rear drive shaft is the wrong size slip yoke at the transfer case end, you can swap the Astro slip yoke over to your shaft, that is if you got the Astro drive shaft.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
J_E

Heh, I neglected to get that. A ball joint press, hammer, and some other basic hand tools will help fix that oversight the next time I am at the Pick and Pull.

AWD V8: I did have a question regarding modifying the trans cross member. I can sort of visualize what you are talking about with the modification, but do you happen to have any pictures of the actual modified cross member?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
J_E

I found the pics I was asking for. They are in this thread, which is a good thread btw.

Figured I'd just link another because I am too lazy to bookmark it. Things that go
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #18

Yes, this pic.

I cut vertical to separate the mount support from the cross member, then horizontally along the bottom. A cut-off wheel works great, minimum material lose.

I cleaned up the cut areas and took a 1/2" bolt with the head cut off and used it as a spacer on the bottom. I positioned the mount support so the cut down bolt bridged the 2 pieces. Welded it up and good to go.

I would first try the unmodified cross member first to see if you need to do anything. For some reason my 95 Jimmy needed no mods, but my 89 & 99 Jimmy did.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
J_E

I am working on a theory that the NV136 was probably clocked similary to the 4wd tfansfer case and didn't require the extra 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of clearance. I remember reading that GM switched all of their bw4472 based awd platforms to the nv136 for the '98 model year. This would explain why your '99 neede this mod and the '95 did not. Per this reasoning I think my '00 will also need the mod. Oddly, I also remember reading somewhere that some of the bw4472's had straight cut gears and others may have had helical cut gears, but I can not relocate that source and it could actually be the difference in the 1372 and the 4472 transfer cases. I should have time, while working, tonight to try and relocate the sources for that info.

My plan is to get some measurements of the existing trans crossmember on my '00 this weekend and hopefully measurements from a 97 or older 2nd gen this afternoon at the pick and pull while I am getting my slip yoke joint.

If the modification is necessary and if you have the required equipment, then modification of the existing cross member will be the most cost effective. Assuming that the crossmembers are different and that the difference is not elsewhere. If the cross members are not different, then modifying the existing crossmember is probably still the best choice, based off of what others have experienced.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
J_E

Ok, I am back fro the Pick and pull. I got a rear yoke attached to a '94 bravada drive shaft. Once I remember how to change the u-joints on these, I will probably just pull the yoke and swap it to my existing and corrrect length shaft.

Also had a front shaft, but a rounded 6 point bolt stopped me in my tracks... I dunno if I can get a drill in there at the correct angle to drill it, so I think I am limited to either finding a cutoff wheel for the drill or a small hacksaw and just cutting the head of the bolt.

Someone was niceenough to pull a trans crossmember off of a '96 4wd 4 dr blazer for me. When I put it next to the crossmember of an '00 2dr 4wd Jimmy, they looked identical. I am wondering if the transmission mounts themselves are different. I will check p/n online later to see.

I also spotted a complete set of the aluminum skids in filthy but straight condition. My plastic one is AWOL. So, I think that fromt driveshaft and those skids warrant a return trip in the morning.

Then I got home to find:

That fitting in the plastic bag on the left block is the EGR delete plug for the intake. I hadn't planned of doing the EGR delete, but inattentiveness when removing the egr tube and an inability to finde an affordable replacement sort of necessitated it. Oh well. The '01 blazer that donated the 0411 pcm didn't have egr if I remember correctly, so it can't be all that important.

Lastly, I need another opinion. I am undecided about just putting the stock y-pipe back into the blazer, or having a new one thats 2" or 2.25" and goes into 3" bent up for it. I am leaning towards the larger y-pipe.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
J_E

Dang, I just noticed that reorganizing my photobucket account caused me to lose some pics from this thread. I don't see the edit button, how can I edit them back in?

Well, Friday's progress was just shy of none. Spent an hour with a hacksaw to get the last bolt off of that front driveshaft. Scored a trans cooler off of a 97-ish Tahoe, but I am not sure if I can shoe horn it in. Also went ahead and got the aluminum skids. Well, I got the front one and the transfer skid. The two back monting points for that middle skid do not exist on the '98+ s-series. When I finally got to the shop to work on the blazer, I discovered that I had forgotten my keys... fail.

Saturday, I got off to a good start. I got everything bolted back up to the engine, but other things kept pulling me away. Such as watching a guy discover that that special $100 spark plug tool for the newer fords is alot cheaper than trying to change your plugs without it. They loaded it onto a flatbed today with, at least, one spark plug broken off in the head.

Speaking of sparkplugs, I have yet to change sparkplugs on an s-series without cussing and bleeding. This particular one nearly exhausted this Sailor's vocabulary, nearly. Large hands and shorty headers are a terrible combination on an s-series when it comes to sparkplugs. #6 fought long and hard, but I got it after several hours (Yes HOURS, several of them).

I actually ended the day Saturday wanting a beer and still needing to get that last plug installed. Took me about an hour this morning to figure out how to get both my hand and the plug into position and be able to turn the plug. About ten minutes after that I was here:

And 30 seconds later I was cursing at the starter. It sounded like the starter wasn't engaging the flywheel. As it turned out, it was engaging the flywheel, but I had overtightened my rockers so I had no compression...fail.

I got down to the valve cover on the passenger side. Then got it removed and had started readjusting the rockers when 50's and windy turned into 50's, windy, and rainy. That was at about 4pm and it was time for the auto hobby shop to close for the day.

Tuesday, I am planning to get the rockers readjusted, battery charged back up, and see if I can fire it off before I put it the rest of the way back together on Wednesday.

If I can get that done, and if I am not scheduled to work on Friday, then I plan to get the transmission started on Friday and roll right into the AWD swap.

At the rate I am moving though, I will probably finally get it to run sometime next Sunday.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #22

Looking good
Nice progress.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #23
J_E

Mars: Thanks! Progress goes in fits and spurts, but it is moving forward.

It's alive!! Once again I didn't progress as much as I would have liked, but I kept troubleshooting after I was ready to call it a night and successfully got it to run. I got the enging down to the valve covers and got the valve covers removed easily enough. Some Google-Fu later I found that I was using an older method recommended for solid lifters to adjust mine. Some more Google-Fu later I found the method I ultimately used, EOIC. Basically you adjust the intake valve on a cylinder when the exhaust valve starts to open, and you adjust the exhaust valve when the intake valve starts to close. What probably made how I originally did it wrong is that I though you were supposed to tighten until you could barely turn the pushrod. You should actually only tighten until you feel the change in how easily the push rod turns, then go another 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the poly lock before you lock it down.

Once I got that squared away yesterday, I then decided to try and start it before I put everything back together. Like I should have done in the first place... I found that I was getting spark and fuel but it wouldn't run. I knew I was getting spark and fuel because I got some flame out of the shortys. That was how yesterday ended, trying to get it to fire without lighting on fire.

Today I started checking and rechecking everything. I pulled the plugs and blew them out with air, rechecked the gaps on the plugs, and rechecked all of my sensor connections. I even checked and rechecked and checked again that the dizzy was pointing at the #1 cyl with it at TDC with its valves closed. Nothing worked.

I was fairly certain, by the sound coming out of the exhaust, that my distributor was the issue. It sounded like one of those bubble cars on the kids movies. So, I finally decided to start adjusting the distributor by one tooth at a time to see if that was it. After having adjusted it by two teeth in one direction, it sounded like it wasn't getting any spark at all. I then went three teeth in the opposite direction and it imediately fired and ran like crap, but one more tooth had it idling and sounding like it should.

It took longer than I planned, but it runs now. So, final reassembly of the accessories and such, and a flush of the coolant system will have me ready to start the transmission, probably Saturday morning.

On an even brighter note, I finally got my shocks and lowering keys in. I forgot to spray PB Blaster on all of the suspension bolts, but I will be ready to start that once I get the transmission buttoned up.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
J_E

I am going to start off by posting the pics that went missing from this thread when I moved them in photobucket. Wish I could edit them back in...

These are the wheels that I will be using. I have quasi-verified that they are not the Vette ZR-1 wheels since they are 16 inch wheels. Oh well.

My AWD front axle and driveshaft courtesy of a '99 Astro van. As you might have noticed, my truch gets used like a truck.

Today I just about finished buttoning the engine back up. All that remains is modifying, wiring and installing the intrepid fan. Oh yea, it still needs some exhaust work. I decided 2.25" Y-pipe going into 3" and would like shoot it out the passenger side in front of the back tire. We will see if space permits.

Here it is ready to go up in the air tomorrow so I can start the transmission work. With any luck and if Mr. Murphy is on vacation, I will be finished on Sunday.

And a quick shot of my skid plates after a bath in the 'steam' cleaner. They cleaned up well.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
J_E

Made good progress today, but I hit a couple snags. I started off by jabbing an ok sized gouge in my finger while removing shift linkage to access the bolts. A little bit of undercarriage grime and some transmission fluid had it feeling better in no time.

Once I dropped the pan, I went ahead and cleaned it and got the B&M drain plug installed. I dont have any pictures, but I put in in the back on the right just in front of where the pan steps up and gets shallow.

After getting the valve body loose, and getting a second drenching of trans fluid, I decided to go ahead and do the corvette and 3-4-od servos. I was essentially installing per three sets of instructions, fortunately they never really gave conflicting instructions. I did have to drill a fluid hole twice though.

Here is the servo assembly ready to be reinstalled.

My first hang up came when I tried to keep those thin gaskets for the transmission plate attached to the plate. They are way too brittle to work with. They started to flake off at the ends and eventually got worse.

The second one is a decision on my part. I was looking at that plate and noticed that I had a check ball stuck in it. The kit came with a larger check ball for just this instance, I think. I measured the hole and it came out at 0.246", IIRC the 17/64" check ball is .266". I went ahead and drilled the plate per the two of the sets of instructions, but I decided to replace it for good measure. I think this is the right answer anyways.

To illustrate the last paragraph:

Valve body and 1-2 accumulator (I think) modified ready for check balls and to be reinstalled:

Tomorrow, I will probably reinstall the pand w/o the valve body and push the blazer out of the shop until I get the necessary parts. I might also, time permitting, try and get that e-fan modded and mounted up.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
J_E

No real update yet, except that I went ahead and ordered the serarator plate and gaskets from Oregon Performance Transmission. I had thought to try and find the parts locally, but figured I would just lose some time if I had to order them anyways. Even with this latest order, I still have <$250 into the transmission, not counting fluid and filter kit.

Depending on what it takes to cram that tranny cooloer, off of the Tahoe, behind the grille; I might break $250.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but this is my first venture into an automatic transmission. Any advice or feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
J_E

Just thought I'd start with a pic of the drain plug I added to my transmission pan. That is the back passenger side of the deeper part.

I got the servos installed, then I put just the pan back on until I get my separator plate and gaskets.

Last I went ahead and threw those other wheels on it, mainly so I do not have to air up tires everytime I want to move it.

Not too bad, right?

I also made a dry fit/mock-up of the front diff, front drive shaft and the transfer case today. Found out that the front output flange on the transfer case is different than the front drive shaft that I have. Damn! Time to fire up google and see what I can learn/find.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #28
J_E

Still haven't made any progress on the front propeller/drive shaft. I did finish getting the transmission back together on Saturday.

Here it is ready for the pan:

Friday, I started the mounts for my E-Fan and finished them up on Saturday, after I got the transmission back together and filled. I made tabs for the bottom similar to what you can find on other threads. I then bent a couple brackets to hook over the top and hold the fan and the radiator against the core support. I finished up by cutting the original shroud to clearance the fan and cover the brackets. I do not have pics, but if someone wants them let me know, I can take some.

I also began mounting the transmission cooler Saturday afternoon.

The left side of the cooler, in the pic, is bolted to the core support. For the other side I bent up an aluminum bracket that wedges behind the other mounting lip on the cooler and in front of the core support. I drilled a hole and bolted the bracket to the core support. I was planning to bolt the cooler to the bracket, but the fit is tight enought that I am not sure if it is necessary. It might get bolted anyways for peace of mind. I also got the hard lined bent to that oblong hole in hte coresupport near the bottom left of the cooler. The grille fits, but I want to double check the headlight for clearance before I finish plumbing it.

Then it goes in for exhaust. After that, I start the suspension, unless I happen across the right part for the front drive shaft.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #29
J_E

OK. So, I have done some searching and have found some information on the BW 4472 transfer case that might help others out, so I am sharing it. This will be long.

Per this site: http://cobratransmission.blogspot.co...sfer-case.html

Quote:
The WG-4472 gear box is used in the Chevrolet Astro Van and GMC Safari Van from 1990 to 1998, the Oldsmobile Bravada from 1991 to 1997, full size Chevy Blazer S-10 from 1995 to 1997, the GMC Jimmy S-15 from 1995 to 1997, the Typhoon from 1992 to 1993 and the Syclone in 1991.

This gearbox has a casting number of 44-72 and uses one of two chains:
•1.75" inch wide by 43 link rocker pin design chain, with 2 blue links for the GM L van All Wheel Drive (AWD) 1990 to 1995.
•1.75" inch wide by 43 link rocker pin design chain, with 1 blue link for the Blazer, Bravada, Cyclone and Typhoon.
I have seen several sites from rebuilders that list four different versions of the BW4472. This site has been the most descriptive: http://www.powertrainproducts.net/category-s/842.htm
The TC10X number designation is from the website. I do not believe it was a BW designation.

•TC100:
27 spline rear output
4.13 front input mounting flange
4.5" front output circular flange
BW Assembly #'s: 1598931-da, 15648651, 15672918, 15963557
Note: Listed as fitting all years that the 4472 was available including Sy/Ty.

•TC101:
32 spline rear output
4.13 front input mounting flange
5" front output circular yoke
BW Assembly #'s: 15685141, 15960128
Note: Listed as fitting all GM models that came with a 4472 (except Sy/Ty), but the years are listed as ?'s.

•TC102:
27 spline rear output
4.90 front input mounting flange
BW Assembly #'s: 15998991, 15998931
Note: Listed as fitting all years and GM models that came with the 4472, except Sy/Ty. The front output flange size is not listed. Based on what I have found, I think it might be 4.5", but have been unable to verify.

•TC103:
32 spline rear output
4.90 front input mounting flange
BW Assembly #'s: 15026806, 15026806-NX, 15703287, 15703287-DB
Note: Fitment matches that of the TC101, listing models but not years. Once again, front output flange size is not listed. The 4472 that I have has assembly number 15026806, and has a 5" front output flange.

The following image helps decipher the ID tag attached to the transfer case.

I have not found much discussion of the strength differences between the 32 and 27 spline outputs. The general consensus is that this transfer case will take more than the 700r4/4L60/4L60E transmissions. I have also read that the stock 27 spline cases have run down into the 10's and 9's without breaking the 4472. There was also at least a limited run f the necessary parts to bolt one of these transfer cases to a 4L80E.

This is a link to p/n's for the 4472: http://www.motivegear.com/pdf/LD_TRANSCAT_004_1.pdf
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
J_E

Another minor update:

Score these and a gray DD yesterday. They were alot cleaner until I got my dirty hands all over them.

I also ordered 4 MOOG ball joints, 4 MOOG tie rod ends and a Moog idler arm from Amazon, I paid about the same as I did for just 4 MOOG ball joints from a local Oreilllys a couple years ago in Washington State.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #31
J_E

So I volunteered to work third shift so I would have more time to work on this during the day. Sounds good in theory, but I forgot to factor sleep into the picture. It worked for a couple days, but that was about it. Then my supervisor volunteered me to work a second week of third shift...

It's at the muffler shop now. I should have it back in a day or two with new exhaust from the headers back. They were very particular about cat placement, so it will follow the stock route. I will probably be able to start the front end later this week, and get the AWD front axle swapped in at the same time.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #32
J_E

It got done at the muffler shop today. They guys at the Big Al's (on George Washington Parkway in Portsmouth, Va) did an awesome job fabing up the exhaust for me.

I failed and didn't get any pics while they had it in the air, but I am certain I will have an opportunity to correct that before I am done.

I have always been told to make it fast or make it loud. I don't expect it to be much faster when I am done, but it now has loud covered.

Teardown on the front should begin tomorrow, after a couple hours of sleep.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
J_E

Now that I've listened to it idle, it isn't as loud as I iinitially thought. I tried to do the Crank relearn yesterday, but the way I had AutoEnginuity installed wasn't saving my Gm enhancement so I was stuck with a really expensive basic code reader.Should be fixed now.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #34
J_E

Sorry greasy hands and time restraints make pics difficult.

Ball joints and tie rod ends are done. Front Axle is converted to the AWD components, and I will be switching to the flange on the pinion today. I lucked out and scored a 4.5" output flange for the transfer case on ebay for $25.

I found out that the '99 Astro stub shafts are about 1/2" larger in diameter than the S10 shafts. Made me wonder about parts compatability, inspite of the wheel bolt pattern difference. Then I manages to tear a couple of my boots getting the old CVs back in. Rather than buy new CVs, I decided to see if the silicone boots will hold up. They shoould arrive today. Until they arrive, the front is mostly at a stop, so the back gets new bushings and drop instaled today.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
J_E

More progress.

I'm gong to need some time to do bushings on this pig, so I am going to push that off until after the holidays. I got the drop and shocks installed in the rear and went ahead and changed diff fluid. It took some effort with a 1/2" breaker bar to get the nuts off of the old u-bolts. They might have laughed at my Impact's weak efforts, but I laughed last.

Blury pic of the rear with drop... A few inches down, several feet up.

Once I had the back buttoned back up, I moved to the drop for the front. The drop for the front was a piece of cake. I spent more time with a wire brush knocking off the built up grit and grime than I did taking it apart and putting it back together. Watch out for falling keys though, those things hurt when they drop on your leg.

I pulled a couple more random pics since I have been a little forgetful. I think I forgot how to use the camera since my pics are blury though, unless there is a greasy fingerprint on the lense that I didn't see.
Exhaust:

Front passenger side waiting patiently for me to get the new boots onto the CVs:

Wheels, knuckles and rotors also on standby:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #36
J_E

I got some sleep yesterday, so no progress. Today, I got the new boots on the CVs. You will want to wear leather gloves when/if you decide to replace boots. Those metal bands, that hold the boots on, will slice right through skin.

Back together with threads on CV trimmed:

I hope to start transfer case install tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #37
J_E

Almost there!!

Almost there!! Well, by almost there I mean that I can almost drive this pig. Transfer case is installed, driveline is mostly buttoned up. Just needs an alignment, and a chasis lube. I have 4 new tires sitting in the back of the truck to be installed tomorrow.

I still need to wire my efan, plumb my trans cooler, install the skids (after I triple check that there are no fluid leaks) clear codes and do the crank sensor relearn.. I think on the road and legal Thurs. is still do-able.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #38
J_E

Well, I got the Blazer together and home the night before I was to leave town. On the way home both front calipers started dragging, fortunately it was only about a 10 mile drive.

When I got back from Texas, I noticed a large wet spot under the Blazer. It was under the engine on the passenger side. Today I went out and discovered that the wet spot is transmission fluid, but the Blazer is too low for me to see where it is coming from. Joy.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
J_E

Gah! I've been neglectful. Anyways, I now have new bushings up front. I had to laugh because the alignment kicked the tech's butt. It took hime over two hours to get the alignment almost in spec. He could not get the castor on the passenger side to go in spec. Afterwards I was told that the left side castor should be slightly higher than the right side and they didn't do that either. Castor will have a slight effect on handling, but shouldn't cause abnormal tire wear.

I had to retorque the head bolts to fix the coolant leak, turns out I had missed one in the back left corner of the passenger side head. This fixed an overheading problem I had. I replaced the MAF, it decided to die on me. I also replaced the transmission pan. Replacing the pan fixed the trans fluid leak around the drain plug I installed.

I also discovered that the tach in my '98 Bravada cluster wont track with actual engine rpm according to my Autonginuity. I guess I am about to put the original back in.

Next will be to put some miles on this thing. Finally.

I would still like to find a keyless entry module, and I have read that the wire harness for power/heated front seats is part of the main harness in all blazers and the plug is somewhere under the dash. So I might try to find the complete pigtail that runs from the main harness to the seats to avoid having to do any creative splicing.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #40

Sweet!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #41
J_E

I had discovered that I had at least one bad engine mount since I have a bad vibration while in gear and stopped. I decided to do both engine mounts and use the Poly mounts from energy suspension. Once again, no pics, but both of my engine mounts were bad. I still have a vibration, but it isn't as bad and it doesn't matter if the blazer is in gear or not so I think it is the stiffer mounts. BTW, replacing engine mounts is not fun and I would probably not have done it without access to a car lift.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #42
J_E

Now that I've been getting some miles on it, a problem with the idle has developed. Cold, it runs and idles great, but once it starts to warm up (about 130-140*) the idle will steadily get worse. When it comes to a stop, the idle is fine. The longer it sits at idle though, the worse it gets until it sounds and feels like it is about to die. It will continue to run like it is about to die until I hit the gas and start going again, then it will stumble for a second or two, then go back to running like normal.

It idles at about 620-680 RPM in gear. I have been told that that is a little low, but not by much.
I have no check engine light, and no erratic sensor inputs.
My MAP, MAF, O2 sensors, fuel injection module, and fuel filter only have about 1k miles on them.
Fuel pressure looks good, I forget the specific value but it was where it is supposed to be.
I only have vacuum hoses going to the brake booster, reservoir, and to the A/C & heater controls, and those lines are all new.
there are no indications of coolant loss, oil in the coolant, or vice versa.
I do have a charge light on for the battery, P1637. My alt is charging though.
I can also feel and hear a random miss as I am driving that I haven't been able to replicate or identify.

We are at a loss as to where to look next.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #43
J_E

About two weeks ago, I finally found my idle and run issues. Here is one of the culprits:

This was for #2 cylinder, the other was on #3. A set of the Street Fire wires by MSD had me back in business and running right on my basic tune.

Fast forward to last Saturday. I was planning out my center console shifter and Bravada Heated, Leather, Power seat swaps. Went to the Wally World for something for dinner, and got rear ended on the way home... Norfolk drivers...

We'll start with how she looked Sat. afternoon:

How she looked Sunday afternoon:

My first thoughts were, " That sucks, but it'll buff out. Mostly..." Then I looked in the wheel well and saw this:

Sonofacrap... Game over.... Chrysler Town and Country 1, AWD Blazer 0.

The insurance adjuster confirmed it this afternoon. Totaled. I've just got a little soreness in my neck and shoulder, too bad the Blazer didn't fare as well.

Between, tomorrow and Tuesday, I will be pulling as many of my parts as I still have the stock replacements for and maybe a few others if I have the time. The adjuster basically said that it has to roll and even hinted that it didn't have to run anymore (within reason).

I can't decide if the money will fund a full size square body with LS1 conversion (2wd swb preferred), or if I want to build another AWD Blazer. I've already found a clean 99 2 dr with 145K for 1400 (It's even a more acceptable color, Green), supposedly only needs a driver side motor mount.

Dang, decisions decisions decisions.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #44
S-10 and a Cummins

User is: Online

Some luck man. I bet you can pull that right out if you wanted to buy it back.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #45
J_E

I had originally hoped that I would get enough to put a roll pan on it and not worry about the bumper, but the frame is/was a game changer. The proper way to fix it is to pull the body and either swap frames, or section new pieces in for the bent parts. I don't have the space to do that. If I did, the next step would have to be the cancerous rust in the rear quarters and wheel wells.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #46

after all that work I would just buy it back and buy another blazer to swap all ur parts with. besides v8's are heavy and awd is always better than 2wd unless u wanna do burnouts all the time or drift.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #47
S-10 and a Cummins

User is: Online

I know of people who have straightened their frames. They got it inspected and it passed. I know you have put a lot of time, money, and love the truck. Its worth a try?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #48
J_E

Both of y'all make sense. I've thought alot about it, but I wont be resurrecting this one. The biggest problem is that I don't have a garage, so I am limited on time and space for working on these projects.

I got to the auto hobby shop this morning to try and pull some of my parts. Thanks to getting stuck working this weekend, I only had a few hours (4 today and maybe 1 or two tomorrow) to try and get the rockers swapped back to stock. I don't have a set of stock manifolds so that headers have to stay. :/ But al I managed to accomplish was swap a used/bad clutch fan for the efan and mount the old tires (didn't even bother with a balance). I Got to looking under the hood and thinking about the work and time that had gone into getting it where it was, and I got so frustrated that I just didn't want to touch it.

The tow truck is supposed to be here on Tues., so I will probably swap out the wheels and tires in the morning and never drive it again. Whoever picks this up at auction, or picks the heads in the JY will be in for a surprise. Maybe there will even be some Karma in it for me down the road.

Until I decide on the next project, I still have the '09 135I (6mt) to keep the speed freak happy, and the Jeep to keep the gear head occupied. I'm thinking I will squirrel the money away into a savings account until I have a better place to properly accomplish a swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.