S-10 Forum banner

05 grand marquis e fan install

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Zombie1969 
#1 ·
So I got this fan off a 05 grand marquis with a 4.6. Car has 47k original miles and I wanted the fan so I said it sounded noisy so I could replace it. Free for me that way. This fan is big the plan is trim it back to the four round flat spots then mount it to the rad with those zip mounts used for trans coolers. I think the stock shroud will install nicely around it making it look like a clean install. Need to get a thermal switch first and dig through my crap for a heavy duty relay etc. Check this thing out its a good size should cool well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Epic fail lol. Started cutting in this today to see if it could fit and eventually it did. Barely. Had to cut a considerable amount off so the motor would clear the water pump but after all that I could no longer use the original shroud. Looking into a 16" fan they can be relitivly inexpensive. Just don't want it to look like some kid hack job when done.

#3 ·
Tempo fan is pefect fit.

Contour/Mystique/FWD Cougar should be great too, but I haven't put one in personally.

#5 ·
I did this for the time being.

Then bent a piece of metal to hold down the driver's side and support the fan. It's too thin though. Been holding up for a year now, just looks like crap.

#6 ·
Just when I thought this was a dead venture an idea popped in my head last night. I want my original shroud that's my plan. So the idea came to me all I need is the motor and fan blade. Now the plan is use only the motor and blade tossing the E fan shroud out. Make a bracket that is either welded or bolted to the motor and then zip tied to the rad core. I'll have about 1/2 inch clearance between the fan motor and rad with a properly made bracket.Some pics of what I'm seeing and it looks like it'll work great.

#7 ·
im using a late 80's cavileer fan, fits pretty damn close, only had to drill 1 hole in the bottom of the core support to mount it. cut the shroud up top and made little notches to fit in. cools the 2.2l perfectly. turns on and within a few seconds the temp starts to drop on the dash. never kicks on if im going more than about 20mph.

#8 ·
Looks like a lotta work. Hope it works out for you, though.

#9 ·
I think once I actually get to doing it it'll be easy. I like simplicity. I don't have an exact measurement as to how far from the rad I need to be to get the blade where I want it in the shroud but it's about half an inch. Tractor supply sells small quantities of half inch square stock that'll be perfect for a simple X I can weld the motor to then drill holes in the square stock for the zip mounts. They'll be rubber between the rad and square stock so the rad don't get damaged. Things can change but that's what's sounding good at this point and time. The wiring will be a relay getting power directly from the bat with a 50 amp mega fuse and a simple fan switch from an 80s ta or camero that turn the relay on between 205 and 220 deg. Might install a override switch just for safety also just in case.

#10 ·
Fucking in hell ya! Did the fab work today and it's in and looking sweat. Bunch of pics it's back out and the clutch fan is back in I still need to get the fan switch and so on. Easy instal and removal and looks like nothing was done when installed.

For the bottom I simply cut L shaped slots in the lower shroud and the angle iron slides through. Works great.

How it looks all together.

Fan removed it's about as simple as I could come up with and gets the job done.

#11 ·
Looks good! The only concern I have is that you have metal to metal contact on your radiator. Really should have rubber bushings at all points of contact.

You can always bring the bottom back to the core support, that way you can keep it off of the radiator.

#14 ·
I'm guessing he is going to reverse the polarity on it.

#15 ·
Ya reverse polarity will be needed. It was the other way in its original configuration. I tested the fan spinning both directions with the motor clamped in a vise. Blowes air like a sob in either direction.

#16 ·
Got it all installed today. Was kinda worried at first wasn't sure the fan switch I got at napa worked. Fans turned on about 220 and it went down fast and they turned off about 200. Ac is colder at idol it pulls more air than the stock belt fan in that respect. Driving it never comes on unless ac is on. I'm tossing around the idea of making an adapter so the stock fan can be mounted on the E motor. Would be cool I think and look even more stock with the absence of the clutch.

#17 ·
Ok this is officially the coolest E fan conversion I've ever done. Made an an adapter which was just a perfect circle with a 5/16 hole in the center. Welded that to the oem fan and it mounted with the clip on the motor like the marquis fan did. Works awesome and looks like nothing happened.

#18 ·
I hope this thread helps and I'm not done just yet for those interested. My next goal is to tidy up the wiring it's kinda just there working now. And to slow down fan speed during ac operation. Right now I'm running two relays in parallel to share the amperage load there rated at 30 amps each. A third relay is also being used to change the positive voltage from the compressor coil to a ground as the two relays are energized by the ground from the napa fan switch. This works but for normal operation high speed is overkill with ac on. I will be installing 3 100 watt 1ohm resistors in parallel producing a 300watt load capacity at .33 ohms for low speed ac operation. Resistors I will be using https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HPKABDE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ARJB0OJ7553H5

#20 ·
Ya right! Makes me wonder why the big companies like flexalight never developed a fan like this. They've been making the same fans for the last 29 years that I know of and they never really fit all that great or worked as good as you would expect from a $300 setup.

#21 ·
Just an update. While using the oe fan has a cool factor and moves a ton of air it won't work. Blows 50amp mega fuses I think the weigh of the fan and perhaps the steep angle of the blades cause too much of a load on the system. Had to install the original plastic blade that came with the marquis setup no biggy. Got my resistors the other day. Played around using one and that's way slow gonna try two in parallel which will be .5 ohm then three at .33ohm to see what works best.

#23 ·
Not sure what's funny here? I've succeeded it's been 90deg two days now and my ac is ice cold and the temp never goes above the thermostat range. Total cost is under $50 . Now a person that has an average 14 post per day that could be considered funny but it's actually just pathetic. Get a life one liner and get off the couch.

#25 ·
I didn't reinvent shit. I simply used flexalites black magic design and adapted it to my aplication. Sorry if it's complicated design confused you. I'll dumb it down next time and get a $1000 be cool setup the only difficult part is opening the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.