Speaker size question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Speaker size question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > General Tech > Sound and Security
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #1

Speaker size question

Hi, well I am new to the forum so to get things started, Hello All

Well the reason i am here is because i recently inherited a 1996 GMC Sonoma from my deceased father. I was wondering if anyone knows the sizes of the speakers in the truck so that i can look for some online.

Also could you recommend some subwoffers and speaker brands or what your setup is and i can base my decision off that. The truck is a 96 gmc sonoma ext cab 2wd 5speed manual. Im only 15 so im new to customizing trucks since this will be my first
Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
GM junkie

User is: OffLine
Re: Speaker size question

Being as your truck is an extended cab you can have a couple speaker configurations. If your truck does not have the third door then your front speakers are going to be the ones in the door which are 6.5", the grilles in the dash shouldn't have anything in them. Your rear speakers are in the pillars next to the back window which are 4x10's. You can put 4x6 speakers in your dash grilles if you want but you will have to run your own wires.

If you do have the third door then your front speakers are in the dash grilles and are 4x6's. The 6.5" door speakers are setup as the rears.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the response , mine has no 3rd door, so thanks for the info
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

6.5s are in the door, however depending on options...you may have 4x6s in the das as well. you have to watch mounting depth in your dash if you have them. Most aftermarket speakers will need a little tweeking to fit on the drivers side...
Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
Got Art?

personaly, i wouldnt even bother with the dash speakers and just focus on the doors, just find a decent pair of 6.5s and some sound deadener (or closed foam duct insulation from home depot) and line the inside of your doors behind the door pannel, and maybe put an amp on the 6.5s depending on how much wattage they want.

being that you are 15, im sure you dont have a lot to spend on subs, but some good subs can be had at a relatively low price.

look at some of the dayton subs on parts express
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=487
they are relatively inexpencive, have good specs and are very well made, and the Quatro is a very nice sound quality sub, as well as the Reference HF

for wire i suggest ebay or find a local welding store that has at least 4 awg and you will need about 20 feet.

as for amps, i would look around on ebay at the soundstorm cruisers, they arent the best amps in the world, but they will do what you need and should sound alright, if you want nicer amps look at sundown or us amps.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #6

Well i was thinking about getting two ma audio 12" subs 600 rms each 1200 peak each, are those anygood? I saw them on ebay. For amps was thinking of getting a power acoustik amp 2500 watt. Would that be good setup or anyother suggestions?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Got Art?

dont bother with ma audio, they arent great and for the money you can get better, besides 600 RMS will probably be more than you would want anyway.

i think that 300 RMS would be adequate for you unless your looking for bigger SPL numbers
Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered asshole

I just put speakers in my 97 extended cab with the 3rd door. That was such a pain in the ass. It was the first time I ever did audio. The dash speaker on the driver side fit great, on the passenger side the magnet wouldn't fit between the air duct and rubber duct in the front. The door speakers came with 2 brackets, and neither fit my truck, so I had to custom fab on of them to make it fit. I don't think I did a great job, but they sound better than the 4 blown Polks that where in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.